PDA

View Full Version : Callin 4 point Muleys in close......2 more in the freezer!

tomahawk
12-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I know a lot of hunters have not had a lot of success calling muley’s and/or blacktail’s but believe me they are very susceptible to this strategy. Seven 4 point muleys, 4 blacktails and to many 2-3 point muleys to count have been added to our freezers that we would never seen let alone harvested directly because of callin em in.

My partner Rod and I decided that this year we would branch outand try muley hunting in a new area and region. The area we normally hunt is stillproducing but we wanted a change. On the thanksgiving weekend I went out and scouted an area near Kamloops with my grandson. We saw lots of deer and some nice open country so itwas decided this would be the new place to hunt for 2012.

We arrived mid day after the ferry ride and the drive on the Coqahalla andfound a suitable place for the wall tent. It took us the rest of the daylight hours to getcamp set up and a good night’s firewood.

Next morning we both hopped on the quad and drove throughthe snow looking for sign and deer. We weren’t overly impressed with what wefound for sign and struck out on seeing any deer but a few areas held more sign and some promise. That pattern of little sign and no deer spotted held thatafternoon as well as the following day. Day 3 we decided to go hunt another area thatis a 15 min drive by truck that I have hunted many times. There was a lot moresign and lots of deer to be seen but what we found was that the 4 points weren’t with thedoes anymore, they had done there thing and were wandering their territorylooking for the few hot does that were still out there. We found close to half the tracks in the area where wecamped were lone bucks doing just that, where as where we were seeing lots ofdoes and dink bucks there was not as many big bucks still wandering around as there is a lot of pressure from many camps and hunters. So we madethe decision to stick close to the new camp and put in our time.

Day 4 of the hunt found us sitting in spots with greatvisibility and overlooking large cuts and area’s of good vision as the sun began to rise on another fine cold day. We had foundf a lot of sign in the fresh snow of the bucks just traversing the landscape and searching for those hot does. On my way intothe spot I chose to sit, I spooked a doe and fawn and watched a cow moose feed in frontof me. I love calling and set up so I would call every 15 mins faithfully, so that any wandering buck's that cameinto the area would be able to hear my call. Now the call I use is not thetypical grunt call or bleats. It is a call that the inventor of the diaphragmcall and the best wild animal caller on the planet, Wayne Carlton himself, had taught me. I have usedit many times over the years and brought down several good muleys, blacktail’sand whitetails to the freezer. After a couple hours of sitting and calling, I made another call and within 7 mins Ifinally noticed movement slightly off to my right side. Making his way throughthe cut block towards me was a good buck.The binoc’s confirmed it was a 4 point and my rifle brought the buck to thesnow covered ground.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_1761.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_1771-Copy.jpghttp://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_1771-Copy.jpg

My buddy Rod hunted through the next several days while Igot the meat back to camp and hung it up and prepped it for processing. I wentout a few times to look for one of the many coyotes in the area but was onlyable to call up this little crab claw buck. On the last night of our hunt Roddecided to give the call a try, so we practised at camp and away he went to apot not far from where my buck was and set up with a great view of up to 600yds around him. He had got to a great high spot for visibility and let out thefirst call but didn’t think it sounded to good so tried a couple calls to getthe sound correct when he noticed movement on the opposite hill side. It wasdeer at 650 yds and running towards him. He confirmed with his binoc’s it was a4 point and waited for him to get to shooting distance. The buck was notwasting anytime as he ran full tilt down the opposing hill and broke through the tree’sthat buffered the edge of the road below Rod. The buck turned broadside as heentered the old landing below him and his rifle barked and another buck was readyto go home for the winter’s food supply.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_1819.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_1824.jpg
I have to admit that thenormal grunt calls are not nearly as effective as the one that Wayne showed me. The first time I gained faith in this series of calling I have watched a 4 point at 475 yds walk a ridge and stop each time I grunted normally but ultimately he decided to continue on his way. I did that 3 times before he was tailing off the ridge down into a creek bottom and would be gone forever. I remembered Wayne's advice and gave the call a try just as he was about to dissappear. He stopped in his tracks, turned towards me and never stopped walking towards me till he dropped on the ground at 47 yds.

I was sold forever that this call worked.

elkhunter2
12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
what kind of call is this that you're talking about?

lovemywinchester
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I feel like I may be getting suckered here about this call but

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Wrayzer
12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow sounds like a real money maker call. Good work.

Was this a recent hunt? Wondering with rut winding down how they are reacting to grunts right now.

Jason Melo
12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
I also am wondering about this call...

Steelpulse
12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
whats the actual call sound your making? like a thread of a big buck without pictures, amazing call with no actual description of the call???

Rich_D
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Pics and spec's of call or it doesn't exist........ :mrgreen:

tomahawk
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Wow sounds like a real money maker call. Good work.

Was this a recent hunt? Wondering with rut winding down how they are reacting to grunts right now.

The bucks were taken Nov 20 and 24th of this year. IMHO most of the mature does were bred by then, 5200 ft elevation about a foot of snow where we were in region 3. The bucks were doing a lot of searching for hot does by the amount of single buck tracks that travelled endless miles and all over the mountain.

tomahawk
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
whats the actual call sound your making? like a thread of a big buck without pictures, amazing call with no actual description of the call???

Its really tough to describe, it can be made with any grunt tube, mine just happens to be one of Wayne's but others work fine. It is a mix of different grunts, loud and soft.

tomahawk
12-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I feel like I may be getting suckered here about this call but

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Hahaha, nope it is for real, been using it for a while now with great success. It works on all bucks, saw this guy walking past at 135 yds and was bored so brought him in to 15 yds before I showed myself and he exited stage left.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_1812-Copy.jpg

kennyj
12-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Thats a beautiful 4 point you called in. Your partners is no slouch either.
kenny

12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Congrats on your success and secrets Tomohawk !

Great Pic's

CT

moose2
12-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Great bucks and great story, I enjoyed the read.
Mike

hunter1947
12-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Tom you did very well on your hunt and your calling paid off good on you calling in this buck ,,two very nice mule deer what more can I say except very nice story of your hunt ,,congrats to the two of you..

Buckmeister
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Very nice job guys. I usually don't bother calling to mulies because of the lack of response. Your story has made me think otherwise. I hunt in an area where I know the deer are hiding in the trees, and they spook if u get too close while still hunting, so calling them in would be great. I would like to learn ur technique.

yiorgo3
12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Great pictures! Thanks! Enjoy those deer steaks!

Pioneerman
12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Great looking bucks. We have used bleet calls before in the interior, not only did it bring mule deer in, but stopped them turned them around for a better look also

Karl
12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
ive always wondered about calling to mulies and always have the grunt with me when they are rutting but i still dont really know how to properly use it i pretty much just have it with me if i see one on the move and may let out a few just to stop him although i wonder some times if i just make a noise if he is going to stop and look my direction. my main question here is frequency. if you are set up in a spot you believe has some promise do you let out a few grunts and wait or are you grunting like a mad man for 5 minutes straight..... any advice suggestions?

tomahawk
12-12-2012, 11:42 PM
ive always wondered about calling to mulies and always have the grunt with me when they are rutting but i still dont really know how to properly use it i pretty much just have it with me if i see one on the move and may let out a few just to stop him although i wonder some times if i just make a noise if he is going to stop and look my direction. my main question here is frequency. if you are set up in a spot you believe has some promise do you let out a few grunts and wait or are you grunting like a mad man for 5 minutes straight..... any advice suggestions?

The frequency I called was every 15 mins, my theory is that when the rut is waning down due to less hot does for the bucks to court, the bucks are still looking for the ladies and are moving around their territory a lot looking for some lovin. So whats in "ear shot" now wont be in 15 mins from now and new bucks could be in hearing distance by then as well. As far as the length of time I call each time it is not for long, maybe 5-7 seconds in length, nowhere near 5 mins. Its really like anything a person does, stick to it and have confidence in it, very few deer in BC have ever heard a hunter calling so they are susceptible. Good luck.

Bugle M In
12-13-2012, 07:40 PM
The frequency I called was every 15 mins, my theory is that when the rut is waning down due to less hot does for the bucks to court, the bucks are still looking for the ladies and are moving around their territory a lot looking for some lovin. So whats in "ear shot" now wont be in 15 mins from now and new bucks could be in hearing distance by then as well. As far as the length of time I call each time it is not for long, maybe 5-7 seconds in length, nowhere near 5 mins. Its really like anything a person does, stick to it and have confidence in it, very few deer in BC have ever heard a hunter calling so they are susceptible. Good luck.

Okay....
So does that mean one long grunt lasting 5 to 7 seconds...Or
a series of short grunts extendinding 5 to 7 secs.
Also...what is the exact name of the call...don't believe I read it anywhere??
Tried grunting once while 2 bucks where fighting...to get a better look if either was legal.
As soon as I grunted...they both pissed off...going in opposite directions!
I was just left holding the grunt tube so to speak!!
Thanks BMI

BimmerBob
12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Awesome hunt story and pictures Tom, great stuff and thanks for sharing! Now you just have to record the call and post the audio so the rest of us can horn in on your technique!

Cheers, Bob

12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Is this what you have? sound anything close to how it is in the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMZUsDO3aKo

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
12-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Nice 4 point mule bucks. Good work!

tomahawk
12-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Okay....
So does that mean one long grunt lasting 5 to 7 seconds...Or
a series of short grunts extendinding 5 to 7 secs.
Also...what is the exact name of the call...don't believe I read it anywhere??
Tried grunting once while 2 bucks where fighting...to get a better look if either was legal.
As soon as I grunted...they both pissed off...going in opposite directions!
I was just left holding the grunt tube so to speak!!
Thanks BMI

BMI
The total calling time is about 5-7 seconds but is made up of several loud and soft grunts during that time. It is made with any grunt tube.

tomahawk
12-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Is this what you have? sound anything close to how it is in the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMZUsDO3aKo

Dont have anything like that one, its just a simple old plastic grunt tube we use. That thing is pretty high tech!