PDA

View Full Version : Bow Season Whitetails

blaker_99
12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Well the season is coming to a close and the end of bow season is just around the corner. Not sure if we're going to be able to get out to Goat Mountain this year for the end of December but we'll see haha. Anyways we set out for a few days of hard whitetail hunting in region 8 in persuit for a couple nice whities.

My dad was the first to take down a nice 5x5 whitetail with great mass and an awsome greatest spread of 20" with the bow. After a hard morning of seeing several does he decided to tough it out for a few more hours, little did he know what his buck had in store for him. My pops just took a swig of his tea when he heard a few rocks tumblin down the hill he had his back turned towards. Sure enough a nice big bodied animal was sneaking by him on the rock side of his blind. Dad turned around and stuck the wide 5x5 with a 35 yard shot piercing both lungs and dropped the somewhat sneaky buck in his tracks. One clean shot and a very commendable kill. (I'll try to load the pic of this buck)

Next was onto my older brother who has hammered a lot of big whitetails in this perticular area in the past. He had been holding off all rifle season and most of the late bow season in persuite of a monster. Well lets just say he got a very very nice buck. Night was coming in and he hadn't seen anything but a few dink bucks and a ton of does and fawns, sure he was getting a bit ancy but his patients paid off. From the same blind my pops shot his 5x5 from my brother dropped this gnarly 6x5 whitie at 30 yard with his bow. The picture is a bit small but the brow tines are split with a kicker 3rd browtine off the left g1. Looks crazy in person with a 3D look and reaches an awsome 12"s in length. Beauty buck that forsure, great mass and an impresive width.

Ok now it's my turn to poke a decent buck with the bow. After cycling through our blinds it was my turn to trade off with my oldest brother for the blind in which both my middle brother adn dad had takent ehre bucks from I set up, cocked my bow and settled in for a long and cold evening hunt. Not even 45minutes into my wait out of the corner of my eye i spotted a very wide buck. Coming closer i was debating weather or not i'd take it as the season was drawing to a close. Sure enough the buck wandered right in on the middle migration trail and i put my bow up and placed an awsome shot right above the should, through heart, and deep into the animal. (head on shot at 25yars) needless to say the buck dropped not even 10 yards away from the spot where he had been shot. I knew i hit him good and heard him crash so i let him sit for 20 minutes or so and made the walk up. Sure enough there here was. I lifted up his rack and wow a nice 5x4 buck with a wicked width of 23"s

We are still in persuit for another buck for my oldest brother as i do owe him for kickin him out of the blind haha. Anyways Congrats to everyone and hope you all had a great season and good luck with all your predetor hunts etc. cheers all. Blaker99

WoodOx
12-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Love those tall browtines.

Congrats on three great bucks blake. Didnt get the pic of your bros workin?

-ANdrew

blaker_99
12-06-2006, 10:52 PM
hey andrew, the pics are mine and my brothers. the pic of my dad was took large so im choppin it etc. then going to add it. cheers bud.

magicarrowman
12-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Those are both beauty deer! Let's see the other one. I see you shot em' with a crossbow.(excaliber, if I'm right?) They must be fun to shoot. Thinkin' about getting on myself.

dave_fras
12-06-2006, 11:10 PM
hey blake buddy dont lie... i know u hot those with your truck haha....good work man... it all paid off!

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 04:56 AM
ohhhh dave if only i could have your luck hey??? do you shi8t horseshoes? pretty sure you do ahha anyways you and i both had a great year congrats on the hard work. As for the bow...yes another excalibur exo max kill. We now own 3 of these bows and they shoot an unbelievable group with great consistancy*. it sure was a blast to take a nice wide whitetail with a bow. cheers.

Maxx
12-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Great pics and Story, what Cross Bow are you using?

Awishanew
12-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Great story. I'd like to point out to everyone before they go out to buy a bow that the limit for bucks in the region 8 bow season is 1. On page 87 it says 2(1) Then on page 86 it explains what this means. The bag limit for whitetail is 2, with only 1 of each sex allowed.

Onesock
12-07-2006, 11:51 AM
If you shot a buck with your rifle you can only shoot a doe in the late bow only season, is this correct?

Awishanew
12-07-2006, 11:57 AM
I am not 100% sure if the buck was shot in another region maybe you could shoot a buck in region 8 in the bow season. Before I would I would for sure seek clarification. But it does say for sure you can only take 1 buck in region 8 with a bow.

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
ok ok lets make everything clean maybe there was a typo etc. but i only shot 1 buck in reg. 8. just so nobody gets there panties in a knot im a very ethical hunter and obide by all the guidlines. Its not easy writting a hunting story when studying for an Income Tax final exam haha just you let ya'll know i shot 1 mulie buck in reg 8. and 1 whitetail buck in reg. 8 cheers.

rocksteady
12-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't think anyone was implying anything, Awishanew was just trying to point out there are some restrictions about taking late season bow only deer.....

Great deer by the way, is there any openings for me to book a day in that blind....?????

I took my whitey with a rifle, so, the way I read the regs, in the East of region 4, I can only take a doe with my bow......I don't really need the meat, plus my wife would skin me alive (she has her own views on hunting, which I have to respect (yes, dear)) and I dont think it would be all that satisfying......I took my bull elk last year with my crossbow, and I think shooting a whitey doe would be a step backwards....

Onesock
12-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Nice deer there blaker, congrats. But, if ya shot it with a x-bow say x-bow, don't say bow. X-bows are legal hunting tools in BC so don't be ashamed of saying you shot it with a x-bow!

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Onestock-thanks for pointing it out. i know how massive the battle is between traditional bow hunters and x-bow hunters haha but yes i sure as heck did hammer my buck with the x-bow. excalibur exo-max to be exact.

Rockready- which type of x-bow and what grain broadhead were you shooting from your crossbow when you got yoursel that beauty elk? i am greatly interested.

One more point i'd like to post is that if you take a whitetail buck with bow (x-bow too haha) in region 8 bow only season you can also take a whitetail buck with bow in another region such as region 3, just as long as your provincial limit is no more than 3 deer. Im not into taking a doe here in region 8 as our family has plenty of freezer meat to last us through the winter. It is not likely that i will get out anymore before seaon ends due to an abundance* of final exams but we'll see. Anyways take care all and i appreciate all your comments and information. Would be nice sometime for a bunch of us to get together for a bit of a banquet.....possibly i will talk to admin and see if it may be an option for next year...anyone interested? cheers.

Onesock
12-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Well blaker, that was a great reply and you are welcome around my fire anytime (even with your x-bow) HAHA. The TBBC had such a get together at Rendell Cr Ranch this past Saturday. 55 or so bowhunters of all types attented. Too bad you couldn't make it. There is another thread on here if you are interested in reading up on our banquet. Once again congrats to you and your family.

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Onestock- thanks again. While we were eating lunch we were approached by a very nice individual who is actually presedent of the bow association he is from Keremeos i believe..... a real gent. that forsure great guy and i really look forward to attending the dinner next year with my two brothers and dad. Cheers, oh and while some of you guys were sleeping your wine hangovers off on sunday morning..... that when my brother just happened to hammer his nice buck haha coincidense... maybe those bucks sure know when to move either when you're sleepin a rough (good) night off or when you're munchin down some lunch haha cheers all

rocksteady
12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
[quote=blaker_99]
Rockready- which type of x-bow and what grain broadhead were you shooting from your crossbow when you got yoursel that beauty elk? i am greatly interested.

I shoot a Horton Hunter Elite 175 lb pull, chart says 305 fps..I use Horton/Easton 2219 with 100 grain Wasp Jack Hammer Select-a-cut, which can be set at 1.50" or 1.75" I go with 1.75", leaves a huge blood trail.....Accurate as hell, would not hesitate to shoot an elk again at 40 or so yards.....

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 02:19 PM
thats wicked i love to hear stories of good blood trails, easy tracking. Where abouts did you take that bull if you dont mind me asking? don't need an area just where abouts cheers.

rocksteady
12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Right behind the front shoulder....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, East Kootenays, Cranbrook area...

blaker_99
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
that's awsome we were out that way earlier in the season as well saw a lot of cows/calfs that we could have taken but we were holding out for a 6. too bad we only saw a hand full of smaller bulls but nothing in range.

Onesock
12-07-2006, 03:45 PM
You are talking about big Ernie Marven, but you use the term gentleman very loosley. Just kidding Ern, you are a gentleman. Anyone that lets the undertaker sit in his stand is a true gentleman!