PDA

View Full Version : Trail cams how many

rides bike to work
12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Well my season came and went quick as bang bang bang so for the past month I have been hunting with trail cam. So now I have found a couple very promising spots . So I asked mrs clause for a two pack of trail cams for Christmas .

So my question is

How many trail cams do use

I have three should I put them in totally separate areas or all in one area .

While I walked in to my trail cam the other day I walked past a nice three point but it never ended up on my cam

Your knowledge is appreciated

Bc Deer Hunter
12-03-2012, 07:21 PM
One in each location is ideal. What type of cam do you own, some of the have slow trigger speeds that will definatly not be able to pick up a deer if it is crusing by.

OutWest
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM
It depends on what you want to accomplish. Just some general inventory or are you looking to pattern something?

We have anywhere from 5-8 out at one time.

pickle88
12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
i got 2 out but want 2 more for next scouting season

Sofa King
12-03-2012, 07:34 PM
three's a good start.
that way you'll still have one when the other two get stolen.

hunter1993ap
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
i started with one, one of the cheapest you could get, got some good pics off that camera.

Darksith
12-03-2012, 07:58 PM
depends on your goal as stated above. If your in whitey country then its probably good to keep them in the same general area. That way you can attempt to pattern the animals and learn their trails, where to setup a stand or blind. Also if you stick to the same area year after year you will also begin to age the animals...some smaller racks could be on real old animals, which you might otherwise not realise, while other younger bucks will grow up in front of you, won't take more than 3 years to figure out if your area is a keeper if looking for a decent trophy or if you should move on. Ive had my cams in the same area for 3 years now, the whities are moving in pretty fast, the mulies are vacating, but I still get more mulie bucks than whities...also I get lots of moose so thats fun.

rides bike to work
12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm gonna use the three cameras from spring through summer in a elk white tail area that I will hunt till oct 20 then I'll use them in my black tail spots through the winter and into spring

The one I have is a cheap moultrie it does have a slow trigger when I walk straight at it it doesn't take the pic till I'm right close .

Hopefully mrs clause gets me some decent ones for Christmas

I'm not to worried about them getting stolen there is a lot of bush out there and the spots I scout have seen little to no traffic

Thanks for the replies would love to hear more about how guys work multiple cameras

604redneck
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
three's a good start.
that way you'll still have one when the other two get stolen.
hahahah so true

604redneck
12-03-2012, 09:55 PM
I use 2 wildlife innovation cams and wish i had about 10 lol if ur scouting mule deer i would pick one mountain and set up 2 or 3 along different trails where you think there may be a good buck if nothing in a few weeks move them but thats just my opinion....

hunter1947
12-04-2012, 03:38 AM
I just ordered one more trail cam yesterday for my Christmas present will make a total of 9 that I will have.

As for putting out trail cams I put my trail cams in different areas reason being is I did experiment by having two that where about Ike from the other in one area.

I found out that the same bucks came to either trail cam where my feeding station was ,,putting out trail cams 5 to 7k apart tells me if there are any buck or doe deer in that area if I don't get much action in two weeks in an area I will move my trail cam to a different area ..

I will tell you this when you find a hot area you can have hundreds of trail pictures in a few days ,,,one thing that really helps you know if deer are there is to put out salt blocks and feed it won't be long till the deer,,elk clue in on your bait station if any deer or elk in this area you will get them on your trail camera no ifs or buts..

If you don't have any action in two weeks then move your trail cam and baiting station to a new location....

Cyrus
12-04-2012, 07:35 AM
7..Ebay is the place to get them too. Can be a bit time consuming changing out cards and finding good locations to put them but its worth it if you find a good spot.