PDA

View Full Version : Getting shot at while hunting in Sask..

sheep hunter
12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
4250Left for Sask Prince Albert on Nov 22 arriving late that night after a 15 hour drive. We spent a few days driving around and setting up stands to hunt from before the season opener for non res Nov 25.

Nov 26: i was in my stand from 11am until last shooting light at 5.30pm, i had about a 15 minute walk out to meet my hunting buddy that was going to pick me up at around 6pm.. I stood in the timber off the road while waiting for him to arrive, at 6pm i see lights come around the bend driving very slowly thinking it was my buddy looking for me, so out to the middle of the road i go dressed in white and orange hat, i was waving at him so he could see me.

As i walked toward the lights i'm think to myself, i sure hope this is my buddy and not some crazy A-hole going to shoot at me and sure enough bang the bullet missed my leg by inches. I started to yell and run for the timber hiding behing what ever i could. The shooter got back into his car and calmly drove by me and carried on down the road. ( I know that comments are going to come back that i should have shot back but my rifle was empty and it never even crossed my mind until after)

I called the RCMP and CO's office, they sent out members to patrol the area to see what they could find, they did not catch up with the mini van. I had no description other that it was a older Dodge mini van. I have not heard anything back from the RCMP, the CO's called saying that it would be almost impossible to prove anything without catching the guys. They did come out with a metal detector to try and find the bullet as it was clear to see where i was standing and the bullet hit the gravel in the ice.

On a more postive note, my parter killed an outstanding Whitetail..

Deer_Slayer
12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
yikes that is scary. I always get nervous when I see a vehicle anywhere near me out in the bush. I never make myself known to them. I always hide until they pass. Glad you're ok and congrats on your buddy nailing a nice deer.

Mikey Rafiki
12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
That's wild!

Thought I read about this already? If not there was an eerily similar thread a little while ago.

Mr. Dean
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
F'ed up.......... How close were they???

markt308
12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
that is just brutal and sad to hear that these meat heads are out there in ALL provinces and states. Obviously you thought it was your buddy, as stated above I also stay hidden if a truck is driving by and the reason I do this is cuz too many losers like to I.D with their scope. just can't be bothered to have some goon aiming his gun or let alone actaully shoot at me like you experienced. glad to hear your ok!

sheep hunter
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
F'ed up.......... How close were they???

They were around 140-150 yards away.

KB90
12-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Lets see the buck! lol

(i think your buddy posted your story a couple days ago)

Islandbowhunter
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear he was a shoddy marksman.

Scary!

Like previous posters, I always stay concealed...safer that way!

MRBucks
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Sheesh.. that's too f'n close for comfort! Friggin knuckleheads out there these days..

How long does it take you to load your gun anyway? I would have still tried to get a shot off just as he drove by, least it might have scared the crap out of him..To bad you couldn't get a plate number. Hopefully he will get found out before he shoots somebody..

Hiding, or trying to clearly identify yourself as a human, has always been a big question when I am out in the bush.

On one hand, you may be making yourself a target, if some idiot catches just the slightest movement when your hiding, or about to hide, and he decides to shoot at anything that moves. On the other hand, you hope like hell the guy clearly recognizes your another hunter, and not an animal standing there.

I have done both, depending on the circumstance's. Chances are better with road hunters if you ditch, as they would not be as likely to spot you anyway. This is often true even if you are standing in plain site, if you just stay still..lol

With a hunter walking, or still hunting, I feel I might be better off stepping out, and giving him a wave, and letting him see my orange touque. If I remained hiding behind a tree, he might just start looking through his scope to better see what it is that looks slightly out of place.

Elkaholic
12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
That's wild!

Thought I read about this already? If not there was an eerily similar thread a little while ago.

I am with you on this one.... the story sound exactly like the story I thought I read a week or so back. Even was a minivan dodge that shot at the guy. I am not saying you arent telling the truth but this seems really weird when two members post two stories that sound pretty much the same. Either way I would have sh!t my pants if somebody shot at me.

Sofa King
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
I am with you on this one.... the story sound exactly like the story I thought I read a week or so back. Even was a minivan dodge that shot at the guy. I am not saying you arent telling the truth but this seems really weird when two members post two stories that sound pretty much the same. Either way I would have sh!t my pants if somebody shot at me.

are you guys complete idiots?
the other story was his buddy, or it was brother maybe, telling the story of what had just happened.
this is the story from the guy that was shot at.
the personal account, the other story was second-hand.

go read the other thread before questioning this one.

Spy
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
If I recall your brother posted your story a week ago ! Crazy story glad you are ok !

sheep hunter
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Not sure who would have posted this incident. Do you know when this was posted, or who posted it ?

sheep hunter
12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
If I recall your brother posted your story a week ago ! Crazy story glad you are ok !

It was my brother inlaw that posted.. I did not know that..

Mikey Rafiki
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
are you guys complete idiots?
the other story was his buddy, or it was brother maybe, telling the story of what had just happened.
this is the story from the guy that was shot at.
the personal account, the other story was second-hand.

go read the other thread before questioning this one.

another duallie classic...

No harm done and certainly none intended, but thanks for being so chivalrous and coming to his defence.

Elkaholic
12-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Duallie do you have to think hard on how to come up with classics on threads everyday? Sorry to the OP if you took offence to what I said I was just rather confused is all. Now that the air is cleared we can all resume our normal activities. Good to know everybody made it out safe even though it was a hairy situation.

hawk-i
12-03-2012, 03:37 PM
You should have put a round into the mini-van...would have been easier to identify later.
After reading this, it sounds like carrying some type of flashlight might be a good idea....I've got one of those ball caps with the LED lights on them, they work great for walking out in the dark and hopefully the phucknuts that pulled this stunt would beable to see the light.
Scary shyt!!!!

Glenny
12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
You should have put a round into the mini-van...would have been easier to identify later.
After reading this, it sounds like carrying some type of flashlight might be a good idea....I've got one of those ball caps with the LED lights on them, they work great for walking out in the dark and hopefully the phucknuts that pulled this stunt would beable to see the light.
Scary shyt!!!!

Ya but tape the light to a 8 foot stick and hold the light 8 feet away from you so you don't get shat . How do these people live wiv themselves?

sheep hunter
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Scary shyt!!!!
I had a flash lite in my hand and a head lamp on my head walking out the next nights.

hunter1993ap
12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I had a flash lite in my hand and a head lamp on my head walking out the next nights.

probably going to take way more precautions than should be needed from now on. scary situation, glad you didnt get hurt.

Allen50
12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
any pic of the big buck,, glad your ok,, all ill say,, ready to hunt another day,,,

sheep hunter
12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
any pic of the big buck,, glad your ok,, all ill say,, ready to hunt another day,,,

I will post pics tomorrow.

Drillbit
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Sounds like Phillips from Holbein was in your area.

sheep hunter
12-04-2012, 01:26 PM
I will post pics tomorrow.
Picture is posted of the deer my hunting partner shot.

Drillbit
12-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Picture is posted of the deer my hunting partner shot.

Where do I look for it?

MikeH
12-04-2012, 02:05 PM
wow crazy man if that was me muscle memory would have taken over bam! engine block taken out.Glad he missed.When it gets dark and I see cars driving fields or what not.I try to hang tight so dumb asses don't take shots at me.I trust nobody with guns.

Ron.C
12-04-2012, 02:09 PM

I also have my headlamp on when walking in/out at nights or a dusk/dawn. I just don't trust other people's judgement and there are way to many accounts of people being shot at.

As stated by others, glad to hear you are ok. No excuse when things like this happen. Hope they find this idiot before they actually shoot someone.

sheep hunter
12-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Where do I look for it?
On the top left corner of my original post.

sheep hunter
12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
wow crazy man if that was me muscle memory would have taken over bam! engine block taken out.Glad he missed.When it gets dark and I see cars driving fields or what not.I try to hang tight so dumb asses don't take shots at me.I trust nobody with guns.

Shooting back had crossed my mind after the fact, but then i would be the one in shit and loose my hunting and gun privileges, I dont want to be in that situation.

Husky7mm
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
That's crazy. Even with the white and orange people get shot almost every year out there. Can you imagine the poaching that ass---hole does. After dark no identifying of target.......

Drillbit
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Wow, nice buck!

Those are getting few and far between. That'll be a beauty immortalized on the wall!

sheep hunter
12-04-2012, 06:51 PM
That's crazy. Even with the white and orange people get shot almost every year out there. Can you imagine the poaching that ass---hole does. After dark no identifying of target.......

We found 3 deer in the middle of different fields that had been shot and left, all three deer were doe's.