PDA

View Full Version : Hand gun question

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 08:46 AM
So I was thinking about getting my restricted licence. My family and I spend a lot of time in the backcountry and I was thinking about getting a handgun instead of packing the rifle around in the off season. What are the rules of owning a handgun, can you pack it in the bush or do you need a special licence? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks Rob.

Foxton Gundogs
12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
You cant, end of story, been beat to deat on here already. If you work in the proper industries you MAY beable to get a permit ofr work related carry. Joe Blow, to and from the range thats basicly it.

Red Herring
12-03-2012, 09:03 AM
^^^ As above. Any RESTRICTED is RANGE ONLY. Very few exceptions. Trappers can apply to carry on their lines, Placers can apply to carry on their titled claims. Neither can hunt with their hand guns. Several other categories like geologists and wilderness surveyors... but it's very limited.

b.rockburn
12-03-2012, 09:19 AM
The above is correct from what i understand. Bear tour guides are an example, trappers can carry it on their line and geologists as well. It seems that the criminal element of society has very effectively ruined any possibility for the responsible handgun owner to carry a side arm while in the bush.

Sofa King
12-03-2012, 09:31 AM
i always wanted a handgun.
but the hassle just doesn't seem worth it.

Gateholio
12-03-2012, 10:42 AM
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx335/Omalley80/RossiRanchHand.jpg

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a waste of money to take the course if you cant even use it, and I definately like that short rifle, thinks I'm gonna invest my moola on something like that

Singleshotneeded
12-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Either the mare's leg that Clarke showed you or you can get a 12.5" or 14" barrel for a 12 gauge 870,
and with a pistol grip or better yet a folding stock it's pretty compact...and powerful.
I got the 14" with brass bead front sight so it's still able to shoot small game...Dlask Arms on Annacis Island.

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
yeah my buddy carries a Defender in the off season, I'm more interested in a mare's leg, looks sharp

Gateholio
12-03-2012, 11:18 AM
The mares leg sights leave something to be desired. Apparently you need to replace them unless you are going to install a regular buttstock.

papaken
12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Mares Leg with a holster or pack scabbard. .38 .357 45LC 44 Mag. I have the 44 Mag with a holster. Next best thing to a handgun for the bush. If it wasn't available or if price an issue then the short 870 would be my next choice.

Foxton Gundogs
12-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Either the mare's leg that Clarke showed you or you can get a 12.5" or 14" barrel for a 12 gauge 870,
and with a pistol grip or better yet a folding stock it's pretty compact...and powerful.
I got the 14" with brass bead front sight so it's still able to shoot small game...Dlask Arms on Annacis Island.

Thats the route I'd go with the folding stock way more versitile and will get the job done at close quarters and a good short range camp meat gun for grouse and rabbits as well. And when it comes right down to it do you want cool or functional?

Slinky Pickle
12-03-2012, 11:22 AM
The mares leg sights leave something to be desired. Apparently you need to replace them unless you are going to install a regular buttstock.

I was out playing with mine on the weekend and I've come to the realization that when the feces hit the rotary oscillator I won't be using the sights. Draw it, point it, shoot it. If the six rounds don't kill whatever's coming in at you then it will be close enough at that point to beat it with it.

I carry mine in one of these and it works very well. http://www.cochiseleather.com/bulletloopmareslegwesternholster.aspx

igojuone
12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a waste of money to take the course if you cant even use it, and I definately like that short rifle, thinks I'm gonna invest my moola on something like that

What about getting your RPAL and a handgun to defend your family at home, you probably spend more time at home then the bush and home invasions do happen in Canada.

Johnny G1
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Since when can you defend your family with a Gun, that will go over big in the courts??????

Red Herring
12-03-2012, 12:22 PM
You can always carry an "antique" hand gun. They are not considered firearms. Can't hunt with it, but it's legal to carry in the bush.

Too bad there are so many regulations on handguns. They are so much fun to shoot. I would have more of them, but worry that when/iff the Libs or dippers get into power, one of the first things they will do is institute a hand gun ban, and I'll have to turn mine in.

Such an easy scape goat. I hate it. Please help by sticking up for the rights of pistol shooters!

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
That's a nice looking holster, as for fashion over function it's more like personal preference

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Who makes this style rifle? Are they custom order?

Singleshotneeded
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I was out playing with mine on the weekend and I've come to the realization that when the feces hit the rotary oscillator I won't be using the sights. Draw it, point it, shoot it. If the six rounds don't kill whatever's coming in at you then it will be close enough at that point to beat it with it.

I carry mine in one of these and it works very well. http://www.cochiseleather.com/bulletloopmareslegwesternholster.aspx

Hey Slimypickle, Have you ever thought of a combination light and laser for your mare's leg? I have one that I bought on Ebay
from a vendor in China...my bid of $15 took it, and shipping was $20. Mounts on a Picatinny rail, I have it on my pistol right now.
Lasers are what they're highly recommending in the US right now to the folks that are buying tiny concealed carry pistols whose
sights are a joke...with the lasers they're getting shots on target at 25 yards with things like the Ruger LC9 and S&W Shield.

Singleshotneeded
12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Who makes this style rifle? Are they custom order?

Google it, there's a few manufacturers...they're not super common in Canada, you'll probably have to do some digging.

Gateholio
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Since when can you defend your family with a Gun, that will go over big in the courts??????

Since always. You are allowed to defend yourself.

reach
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I think you're allowed to defend yourself with lethal force only if it's appropriate, i.e. you or your family are in immediate danger of death. If you shoot first you could be in trouble. There is no "castle doctrine" but you do have the right to defend yourself.

But handguns (and other firearms for that matter) have to be locked up six ways from Sunday so I doubt they'd be much use in a home invasion anyway...

MRBucks
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
It's a damn stupid law, when you can freely pack around a rifle, (or shotgun), that has an effective range of several hundred yards, but you can't carry a sidearm in the bush.
I would love to see a serious challenge made to this law. I'm sure it would get great support from hunters, and other outdoorsmen.

bccanadian
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Wasn't wanstals carrying them for awhile, or am I mistaken?

sawmill
12-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Mossberg 500 pump .12 gauge has some damn cool add ons.Hunter 47 was talking about them.16 in. barrel,front and back pistol grips.You don`t have to chop the gun either,unscrew a couple of bolts and you are good to go.Plus with 00 ought buck you really don`t have to aim.Excellent Zombie gun.

Slinky Pickle
12-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Hey Slimypickle, Have you ever thought of a combination light and laser for your mare's leg? I have one that I bought on Ebay
from a vendor in China...my bid of $15 took it, and shipping was $20. Mounts on a Picatinny rail, I have it on my pistol right now.
Lasers are what they're highly recommending in the US right now to the folks that are buying tiny concealed carry pistols whose
sights are a joke...with the lasers they're getting shots on target at 25 yards with things like the Ruger LC9 and S&W Shield.

I just pack mine when I'm bushingwacking and taking pictures. My camera is big enough that it ties up at least one hand so having one in a holster nearby works well for me. To be honest I'm seriously considering taking the sights off completely so it goes in and out of the holster easier. I tend to use it in an "instinctive" position rather than bringing it up and sighting so I simple don't use them.

And for those that are looking, mine is a Rossi in .44mag. http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=196&category=17&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Was just looking at the Rossi, so are these mares legs classed as a pistol or are they still an non-restricted rifle?

Lionhill
12-03-2012, 02:33 PM

http://doubleplusundead.com/2012/12/03/an-open-letter-to-bob-costas-and-jason-whitlock/

Chose 12 or 6.

LH

Slinky Pickle
12-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Was just looking at the Rossi, so are these mares legs classed as a pistol or are they still an non-restricted rifle?

They are a non-restricted rifle. Of course if you were to take a standard rifle and modify it to the same dimensions it would be prohibited.... not restricted but prohibited. Gotta love our rules!!!!

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Fair enough, was just wondering cause when one looks into them they say "lever action pistol"

Singleshotneeded
12-03-2012, 02:51 PM
I think you're allowed to defend yourself with lethal force only if it's appropriate, i.e. you or your family are in immediate danger of death. If you shoot first you could be in trouble. There is no "castle doctrine" but you do have the right to defend yourself.

But handguns (and other firearms for that matter) have to be locked up six ways from Sunday so I doubt they'd be much use in a home invasion anyway...

You have the right to defend yourself and your family if the scumbags don't leave when you order them to leave, and instead come at you. The problem with this not being entrenched in law via the Castle Doctrine is that you then need to hire a lawdog to defend you in
court, when snuffing a pos that breaks into your home should automatically get you a medal and a free dinner at the Keg.
As far as handguns in a home invasion scenario, all you need to do, legally, is to have your pistol in a locked container(like the gun
lockers at Cdn Tire), with it's magazine(which can be loaded with +P hollowpoints), right beside it on the shelf. You have the key
somewhere that you can find it in the dark quickly, you open the safe, slam the mag into the pistol, rack the slide, and you're armed.
A light and laser on the pistol makes for a very effective defensive firearm...but if you have time, a loaded 12 gauge with light would
be the best. Even though your buckshot charge doesn't have enough distance to open up much in a home defence situation, who's
going to argue that FIFTEEN 00 buckshot pellets slamming into the target in a 4ish" circle pattern isn't more powerful than one pistol
bullet? As long as you aim properly and hit centre-of-mass on the target, said target will be neutralized...with a .380/.38/9mm handgun
bullet, the target might still come at you. Always double tap, of course...

BC_Viking
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Its not legal to put a pistol grip or folding stock on a shotgun with a barrel shorter than around 18 inches , The 12.5'' and 14'' barrelled shotguns MUST have a fixed non folding full length butt stock to maintain the legal overall length of 26 inches. If your shotgun OAL is shorter 26'' you have a restricted firearm .

scoutlt1
12-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Its not legal to put a pistol grip or folding stock on a shotgun with a barrel shorter than around 18 inches , The 12.5'' and 14'' barrelled shotguns MUST have a fixed non folding full length butt stock to maintain the legal overall length of 26 inches. If your shotgun OAL is shorter 26'' you have a restricted firearm .

Are you sure?

https://www.dlaskarms.com//product_info.php?cPath=94_24&products_id=15&osCsid=457c9096290faf85a38c6c3a13f86775

Spokerider
12-03-2012, 06:13 PM
You can always carry an "antique" hand gun. They are not considered firearms. Can't hunt with it, but it's legal to carry in the bush.

Too bad there are so many regulations on handguns. They are so much fun to shoot. I would have more of them, but worry that when/iff the Libs or dippers get into power, one of the first things they will do is institute a hand gun ban, and I'll have to turn mine in.

Such an easy scape goat. I hate it. Please help by sticking up for the rights of pistol shooters!

Turn them in?
Never. Find some *constructive* way of loosing them.

BC_Viking
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Are you sure?

https://www.dlaskarms.com//product_info.php?cPath=94_24&products_id=15&osCsid=457c9096290faf85a38c6c3a13f86775

Yes very sure.... There are a few short barrelled shotguns that are even sold with a pistol grip, lol .. But if you put that grip on you can be in huge trouble !! Check out the Canadian Firearms Act , or there is a sticky on the CGN forum .. Overall length of a non restricted shotgun from muzzle to butt pad must be 26''.. There are many people who have learned the hard way ..

kootenay cruiser
12-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Definitely food for thought, thank you all who replied...Rob

YAMMY-CA
12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
It's a damn stupid law, when you can freely pack around a rifle, (or shotgun), that has an effective range of several hundred yards, but you can't carry a sidearm in the bush.
I would love to see a serious challenge made to this law. I'm sure it would get great support from hunters, and other outdoorsmen.

If you have a Kuhunas get a group of guy's together with their handguns-go out in bush and notify CO where you are-then go to court as a group if you are serious.You will loose big time IMHO--if you're serious I'm betting against you.

papaken
12-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Fair enough, was just wondering cause when one looks into them they say "lever action pistol"

In the US they are considered a pistol because if they call them a short rifle they have to pay an extra tax. Here in Canada the are non-restricted firearm. If you call around to the various gun stores you can probably find one available or get one ordered. If you pm me I can let you know where I got mine and also where I got my holster.

kootenay cruiser
12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Just starting to do the ground work, still waiting for my PAL to come in the mail,I'll get serious after I receive it

r106
12-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Wasn't wanstals carrying them for awhile, or am I mistaken?

I was in there yesterday, they have 2

jjkelowna
12-05-2012, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=YAMMY-CA;1248213]If you have a Kuhunas get a group of guy's together with their handguns-go out in bush and notify CO where you are-then go to court as a group if you are serious.You will loose big time IMHO--if you're serious I'm betting against you.

Looks like a couple guys tried this in Kelowna yesterday... http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-84097-1-.htm#84097 and it didn't go so well for them - yikes!!

pricedo
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Mare's Leg rifles like the Rossi Ranch Hand are non-restricted and legal to carry as you would a rifle.
You can even buy holsters for them.
I'm sure the anti-gun CFOs in collaboration with their buddies in the equally anti-gun RCMP are looking for ways to stop us from carrying them and I expect they will before too long.
When Trudeau Jr. and the Liberals get back into power in 2015 we can kiss the Mare's Legs and other short barreled rifles and shotguns good-bye so enjoy the privilege while you still have it.

trapperRick
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
I carry a defender whenever I go out in the bush at all times you only need to be charged once by a bear and you will also carry one, slug slug slug slug slug

aggiehunter
02-20-2013, 09:03 PM
that mares leg needs to be put down....

Gateholio
02-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I bought a Mares Legin 44 Mag for my buddy for Chrismas. First time I had handled one. I thought it was a nice cool package. I'll definitely get one in 45 Colt for myself at one point.

BlacktailStalker
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
I JUST, literally seconds ago, heard from someone I know who seriously got attacked by a 60lb starving cat today. Sounds like a handgun would have came in handy. I will let him tell the story if he chooses to.

406elcamino
02-20-2013, 10:03 PM
If you trap I think you can apply for a permit to carry a handgun I think....

new hunter
02-21-2013, 10:18 AM
yeah my buddy carries a Defender in the off season, I'm more interested in a mare's leg, looks sharp

12g slug has a lot more authority than any cartridge that you'll find a mares leg in ( unless you could find one in 45-70 or similar ).
I would never choose to defend my family with a gun because it looks cool , especially one that shoots pistol rounds ( unless it was only for shooting people , which really isnt all that practical ).
You said you need a gun for protecting your family in the back country , which would mean bear defence more than anything else .
Pull a .44 on a bear and youre quite likely to wound the bear and get you and yours killed .
You wouldnt buy a car for your family that had bad brakes , do youre research and get a confirmed one shot bear killer .
If you still want a mares leg as a NOVELTY later , buy it , but dont buy a defence gunn because it looks cool.
You might as well buy a really cool looking casket while youre at it .
Good luck , youre doing youre research on here , so I'm sure you'll make the right choice in the end , whatever that may be .

Gateholio
02-21-2013, 10:27 AM
12g slug has a lot more authority than any cartridge that you'll find a mares leg in ( unless you could find one in 45-70 or similar ).
I would never choose to defend my family with a gun because it looks cool , especially one that shoots pistol rounds ( unless it was only for shooting people , which really isnt all that practical ).
You said you need a gun for protecting your family in the back country , which would mean bear defence more than anything else .
Pull a .44 on a bear and youre quite likely to wound the bear and get you and yours killed .
You wouldnt buy a car for your family that had bad brakes , do youre research and get a confirmed one shot bear killer .
If you still want a mares leg as a NOVELTY later , buy it , but dont buy a defence gunn because it looks cool.
You might as well buy a really cool looking casket while youre at it .
Good luck , youre doing youre research on here , so I'm sure you'll make the right choice in the end , whatever that may be .

How many bears have you shot with a 44 magnum? I assure you they don't bounce off bears! Have you ever shot any animal with a 44 magnum?

To be effective for defense, the Mares leg needs to b practiced with to ensure good hits, but that is true of any defense firearm.

HIGHRPM
02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
In all fairness, if you look at the laws regarding any gun, the criminals have all the rights and the legal law abiding citizen is the one thats gets hammered. Who the hell sat down and wrote these rules ?? We are forced to go through courses, transport a certain way, have limited use of the firearms, can not carry in the bush for our own safety, have to abide by extremely over stringent storage rules that wouldn't allow you any chance of defending yourself in a deadly situation ! The bad guys have to follow none of the above, yet the law makes feel they are accomplishing something, bloody joke ! The legal law abiding citizens should be treated much better than the criminals not worse ! My 2 cents !

new hunter
02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
How many bears have you shot with a 44 magnum? I assure you they don't bounce off bears! Have you ever shot any animal with a 44 magnum?

To be effective for defense, the Mares leg needs to b practiced with to ensure good hits, but that is true of any defense firearm.

I may not have killed any bears , but I do know that if I'm betting my life , or more importantly my families I'm going for the bigger gun .
Besides , I didnt say a .44 will bounce off a bear , I said a 12g is more powerful. Am I wrong on that ?
We all know that bears have been killed with .22lrs ( ear shot on a sleeping bear ) , but I wouldnt try and argue that a 10-22 is a good bear defence gun .
If you practice enough with that .22 it might be effective (I'm not seriously suggesting that ) , but I wouldnt go around recomending one for a defense gun .
And we are talking defense , as in oh crap theres a bear closing fast , hit it hard right now.
Practiced or not I'd rather hit centre mass or head and shoulder with a 3inch 12g slug over a .44mag any day .
But if youre comfortable betting youre life on one good for you, youre a braver man than I am .
This guy is talking about protecting other people , in my book that means he is responsible for there well being , and I believe that for myself that means using the biggest gun that I can shoot comfortably .
I do respect that you have more experience in the field than me , and I dont take youre recomendations lightly , but this is one time I will respectfully disagree .

Singleshotneeded
02-21-2013, 06:19 PM
A 20 gauge shotgun slug has twice the energy of a .44 magnum revolver bullet...the 3" 12 gauge round is even more.
My personal preference if I were going into a grizz, kodiak, or polar bear infested area would be to have a .338 magnum
or .375 bolt action using Barnes TSX/TTSX ammo...

Gateholio
02-21-2013, 06:29 PM
There is no question that a shotgun with good slugs or heavy rifle is more powerful than a handgun round, even when chambered in a carbine. However, to be effective, you actually have to have the gun with you. This is where handguns (and the Canadian version- Mares Legs) can come into play. If the choice is carrying a handgun (or Mares Leg) or not carrying anything, it makes no sense to go unarmed.

A 44 mag or hot loaded 45 Colt will certainly injure a bear enough to make him break off an attack.

There are quite a few situations where a long gun is going to get left behind but having something handier means you will be carrying. There are certainly parts of BC where carrying a large rifle is highly recommended, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

deer nut
02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Unless you're getting a 450 casul or a 50 Smith&Wesson, there's no point anyway.....

Boner
02-21-2013, 07:02 PM

Pretty much nailed it right there. For the amount of times I go to the range, I make an attempt at the pistol range, but otherwise they just sit there in their locked cases in my locked safe. If you want to spend a few bucks, i'll throw in my 2 cents and say Reminton 870 w/ the short barrel and get a slugged barrel as well in case you want to play with some expensive, more accurate slugs one day. I make a lot of use out of mine, it's just a short barrel open choke, but it's a true fun shotgun that's cheap to shoot

new hunter
02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
There is no question that a shotgun with good slugs or heavy rifle is more powerful than a handgun round, even when chambered in a carbine. However, to be effective, you actually have to have the gun with you. This is where handguns (and the Canadian version- Mares Legs) can come into play. If the choice is carrying a handgun (or Mares Leg) or not carrying anything, it makes no sense to go unarmed.

A 44 mag or hot loaded 45 Colt will certainly injure a bear enough to make him break off an attack.

There are quite a few situations where a long gun is going to get left behind but having something handier means you will be carrying. There are certainly parts of BC where carrying a large rifle is highly recommended, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

I will admit that is true , and I have wished I could carry a big bore pistol for those exact reasons .
Last year while cutting firewood fifty yards off road and well out of sight I realised that the log I was cutting could have easily pinned my leg , had I not realised that I was in a bad position .
My shotgun was leaning against a tree almost ten feet away .
A giant pistol on a holster would have been a lot more reasuring , so I will give you that one .
I suppose it all comes down to how you look at things , I wouldnt chose a mares leg over a heavy rifle or shotgun , but it is a valid argument that the mares leg is more likely to be on you .
Hadnt thought of it like that .

Boner
02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
That's what a whistle is for. I'll come running if I hear a whistle, but would mind my business hearing a bunch of gunshots.

180grainer
02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
So I was thinking about getting my restricted licence. My family and I spend a lot of time in the backcountry and I was thinking about getting a handgun instead of packing the rifle around in the off season. What are the rules of owning a handgun, can you pack it in the bush or do you need a special licence? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks Rob.

You must be new to Canada. You can't without, (what use to be called a free miner's permit) a special permit where you need to prove your livelihood and thus your safety depends on having a handgun. I know a trapper friend of mine has one so maybe you and your family can go trapping.

180grainer
02-21-2013, 08:05 PM

You should also mention that it's recommended when using a handgun for bear protection that the front sight be filed off.......that way, when the bear shoves it up your a$$ it won't hurt as bad.

new hunter
02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
That's what a whistle is for. I'll come running if I hear a whistle, but would mind my business hearing a bunch of gunshots.

Good point , I even have a whistle in my camper .
My wife actually put the run on a black bear I was standing ground with ( machete in one hand , bear spray in the other and a cold feeling in my gut ) , I'm yelling at this bear to f off , 4hrs up the tenquille lake trail ( the old prospecter trail at the end of the meadows , not the commonly hiked one ) thinking I'm gonna get munched on while my wife gets away ( pre PAL days ) when she discovers that theres a whistle on her pack buckle .
She hit that whistle and that bear took off like a shot .
The next week there was a story in the paper about a guy that got bit by a male grizz cub ( sow and female took off ) on one of the tenquille trails .
Bear bit into his can of bear spray in his pocket and got a mouth full .
Hiker got air lifted out , and I got a much needed wake up call .
I think I'll toss that whistle in with the rest of my wood cutting gear tonite before I forget .

Farmer001
02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Just read the last couple pages of this thread but figure would throw my 2 bits in. question is do you think if a bear attacked you could get a shot off with a pistol?? Probably 50% chance at best, now add fear, panic and hitting a small kill zone on a very fast moving target. Hmm, I would bet on the bear in this case. Had a chance to attend a seminar with Gary Shelton who is very knowledgable on the topics of bears. Bear spray and a shotgun was his suggestion with first shot of 00 buck and slugs after. Chances are if you "even" get a shot off will cover a large pattern and if it is close better chance to catch bear in the face making them think twice. If you got some time well first shot could be used as a warning. I got my restricted license and bought a pistol just because I could, may be a time that you cannot do this if the poilticians have their way.

Gateholio
02-21-2013, 09:04 PM
If a bear attack happens so fast that you can't get a shot off with a pistol, you will probably not have the time to get a rifle or shotgun into play, either.

Boner
02-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I think I'll toss that whistle in with the rest of my wood cutting gear tonite before I forget .

Good, glad you agree. I wasn't being a dick if anyone was wondering, a whistle is part of every faller's gear, first thing I thought of because I always have one on me.

If anyone hears a store-bought whistle in the bush assume someone's in trouble. Everyone should carry them.

180grainer
02-21-2013, 10:36 PM
If a bear attack happens so fast that you can't get a shot off with a pistol, you will probably not have the time to get a rifle or shotgun into play, either.

I think that's pretty accurate. I read somewhere that in a lot of cases where hunters are mauled, their guns are found with the "safety still in safe mode". Which implies exactly what you're saying. When it does happen, it happens pretty quick. I think a lot of us have this mental image of a bear doing a lot of displaying before an actual charge, but that might not be the case.

yamadirt 426
02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
A good fixed blade on the belt for backup along with a good roundhouse kick if it goes to a standup fight will help. Take some mma lessons, that mini rifle is pretty cool though.

mnholt
02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
if you have a "real need" for a restricted firearm you can get an ATC, laws define "real need" as Trapper, Prospector, Geology/Survey work etc.. I'd rather worry about a bear attack only having a defender shotgun over every Tom, Dick & Harry carrying restricted... as for criminals carrying, you can't compare apples and oranges, yes they have hand guns but they pay for it with their lives.

Gateholio
02-27-2013, 04:06 PM
if you have a "real need" for a restricted firearm you can get an ATC, laws define "real need" as Trapper, Prospector, Geology/Survey work etc.. I'd rather worry about a bear attack only having a defender shotgun over every Tom, Dick & Harry carrying restricted... as for criminals carrying, you can't compare apples and oranges, yes they have hand guns but they pay for it with their lives.

You are worried about people being in the bush with guns??? :?

Crimson Viking
02-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Dominion arms grizzly shotgun. Google it. Chineese 870 clone ,Full buttstock , barrels in 8", 12.5" & 15". Would be a handy maneuverable weapon. Might suit your needs.

Singleshotneeded
02-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Yup, and if you already have a proper, reliable, made in America 870 12 gauge, you can order an 8.5", 12.5", or 14"
barrel for it from Dlask Arms on Annacis Island, with blade front sight or brass bead(if it's 12.5 or 14"). I have the
14" barrel with brass bead, and it has a long enough sighting plane that I can use it on grouse as well if they're not
too far off(they're also open choked).

huntcoop
02-28-2013, 09:43 AM
A good fixed blade on the belt for backup along with a good roundhouse kick if it goes to a standup fight will help. Take some mma lessons....

Best quote of the thread... :lol:

BigfishCanada
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Kootney, in the US they call the Rossi or MAres leg a handgun, in Canada its a non restricted. You can get them at Wantsalls, the Rossi is less cost of a mares and not much difference

new hunter
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
A little off track , but if the mares leg is a rifle up here , how does it make sense that a judge carbine is restricted ?
Our gun laws sure seem wacky at times .

trykillthis
02-28-2013, 02:29 PM
A little off track , but if the mares leg is a rifle up here , how does it make sense that a judge carbine is restricted ?
Our gun laws sure seem wacky at times .

The Judge is based off a revolver frame, hence the restricted.

Not that I agree with the RCMP but that is their 'logic' on it.

new hunter
03-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I dont think mechanical operation has much of anything to do with it .
I've seen BP revolver carbines on marstar sold as non restricted .
I think with the judge its percieved threat again , the explenation I got was that its a sawed off shotgun ( not even close ).
To classify the judge as a revolver would be the same logic as ruling that all rotary bolt semi autos with detachable mags are assault rifles , just because they share the same operating principles as ARs and AKs .
I do get what youre saying , and I wouldnt be surprised if youre right , I just see a giant flaw in the logic.
If this is logical , shouldnt CZ 58s with full ength barrels be restricted like ARs , or prohibited like AKs because they share the same basic frames and operating characteristics ( I am well aware of the mechanical differences between these 3 guns , I just dont think machined reciever vs stamped or falling block vs rotary is relevant ).
Its too bad that our law enforcement agency has the power to classify weapons , I think it should be up to a panel of dedicated engineers , and the RCMP should only be allowed to enforce the law , not make it .
Such a conflict of interest .

Gateholio
03-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Don't try to apply logic to gun laws. :)

trykillthis
03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Never get hung up on logic with our laws.

But the story behind it is that the stock can be removed easily and is not permanently attached to the frame so once removed and a pistol grip added, you essentially have a handgun.

Pencildc
03-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Marlin Guide gun in a 45/70 is what I pack. I bought an Eberlestock pack that has the integral rifle holster. Just reach back behind your head and out it comes. It'll slow down whatever comes at you, but leaves your hands free for your fly rod...

dino
03-02-2013, 09:00 AM
I read most of the posts and did not see anyone mention while sleeping in a tent what kind of weapon you prefer, I backpack by myself into bear country every year and when I sleep at night with my 44 under my pillow I sleep like a baby. The handgun is my choice for bear defence at night and my hunting rifle in the daylight. I don't care what the rules say, I know Im not alone on this either.

new hunter
03-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Never get hung up on logic with our laws.

But the story behind it is that the stock can be removed easily and is not permanently attached to the frame so once removed and a pistol grip added, you essentially have a handgun.
That kind of makes sense , but is still pretty weak.
If I introduced my 870 to a hacksaw it could be made into a hand gun too , but there I go trying to use logic again .

new hunter
03-03-2013, 12:05 AM
I read most of the posts and did not see anyone mention while sleeping in a tent what kind of weapon you prefer, I backpack by myself into bear country every year and when I sleep at night with my 44 under my pillow I sleep like a baby. The handgun is my choice for bear defence at night and my hunting rifle in the daylight. I don't care what the rules say, I know Im not alone on this either.

Sharp knife so you can cut your way out of your tent .
Its sleeping in my camper that worries me more , but either way if I am packing a gun for bears its my 12g.
I dont know if your back packing in the states or what , but the entire point of this thread has been that its illegal to carry a pistol in the bush regardless of activity without difficult to aquire paper work , more than a RPAL.
Thats why gates has been suggesting a mares leg , because its not a pistol.