PDA

View Full Version : Faulkland Area

Charts
12-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Hey, just curious if anyone has done much hunting in the Faulkland area for Mulie bucks? I am heading up to the in laws and wouldn't mind doing a late season buck hunt for a few early mornings. I don't know where to even start up there as it will be my first time hunting that area. Anyone who can give me some guidence of where to look what FSR I would appricate it. Respond to here or PM please. Also should I be looking in Alpine or Valley this time of year? I don't have access to any farmer alpha fields. Dont mind hiking either. Cheers

Rich_D
12-03-2012, 09:11 AM
A few FSR's off Chase-Falkland Road.

Search on Google Earth and take a look. There are a good amount off the Paxton Valley Road which is up Chase-Falkland.

Sofa King
12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
as above have said.
there's also china mt up in that area(i think that's it's name)
and the other side of the highway, go back toward westwold and go up pinaus.

s0ylentgreen
12-03-2012, 11:11 AM
ive tried to hunt cedar hill fsr several days (they are logging a lot near the end of the road)
have not seen one deer or moose.....

GoatGuy
12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
watch out for the hillbillies - some of the more notorious HBC members live near there.......

Dirty Steve
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
They all moved a little bit down the road to region 8...3 days ago.

Sofa King
12-03-2012, 08:33 PM

the local hillbillies?
or the deer?

thick
12-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I would hit the chase-falkland area lots of roads take off to the east like lisa, blair, goodnuff, charcoal and lots of others. Just be careful a lot of the bush roads are pretty slick and icy these days. Blair has some good areas down low if you are unable to get up some of the other roads. Be careful if you decide to hunt the cedar hill and pinaus areas as pinaus lk is actually in reg 8 and upper portions of cedar hills are also in 8. There's kind of an odd MU switch in that area from 3 to 8, it's not the hwy so take a quick look at the map in the regs.

Good luck

604redneck
12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
the local hillbillies?
or the deer?
was wondering the same thing

whitebirch
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
the deerses are lower.
the hillsillies travel between region 3 and 8, in that region :wink:

GoatGuy
12-03-2012, 10:51 PM

I understand one of the sobs has been hanging around in region 8 WT country trying to find the top secret spots calling it 'work'.............. very sneaky

Looking_4_Jerky
12-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Also should I be looking in Alpine or Valley this time of year? I don't have access to any farmer alpha fields. Dont mind hiking either. Cheers

There is no alpine around there, and not a great deal of ESSF (sub-alpine). If you have tire chains bring them, as others have said, the roads can be really gnarly at this time of year when you get thawing in the day and freezing at night. Unless there is more than a foot or more of snow, the deer may be scattered at all elevations and could be anywhere right to the top (max elevations around there are about 1700m. The tire chains just open up more country to you, and getting into those areas with a bit more snow will mean less competition from other hunters.

Although some deer can potentially be pretty high still, the mid elevation (800-1300m) Doug-fir forests are deer favorites this time of year, especially if and when the snow forces more deer from those high elevations. Focus on hiking ridges with mixed age but lots of mature trees, and spacing so that you can get frequent lines of sight, small openings and shooting lanes.

Some faves when I used to live in Salmon Arm were Jimmy Lake area (it is a good idea to know where the Douglas Lake Ranch property is) and Turtle Valley.

Have fun!

Charts
12-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks so much for the reply's everyone it is really appriciated!!!! I can see the MU line is a little weird seperating reg 3 and reg 8.. I will likely stay west of the line anyways but does anyone know what seperates the two regions? is it a FSR? Hopefully I will drop something and post some pics!!!

Looking_4_Jerky
12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
In the days before Google Earth and a host of other publically available mapping and geospatial applications, you had to go to the Wildlife Branch to see the hardcopy map of EXACTLY where the region/MU boundary was if you wanted to be sure. The synopsis map and LEH supplement mapping were grossly vague. The best thing of the time was the BC Recreational Atlas which was still far from great. Then the “Mussio” backwoods mapbooks came out and for the first time some decent small-scale mapping of MU boundaries was published. They’re a great portable resource that’s updated regularly. If you don’t already have the one for the area, I’d recommend grabbing one.

Region and MU boundaries don’t just follow roads, heights of land and other physical features. At times, they follow other administrative boundaries such as local Regional Districts, Municipal Boundaries, section/township lines, etc, and they can and do jump from roads, to rivers, to heights of land, to the administrative boundaries and back. You can access the info on IMAP(http://geobc.gov.bc.ca (http://geobc.gov.bc.ca/)) or download the KML file for MUs and Regions from GeoBC (I think the URL is http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/mapserver/wildlife-and-plant-species?service=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:4326&LAYERS=WAA_WILDLIFE_MGMT_UNITS_C&STYLES=&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&FORMAT=image/png (http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/mapserver/wildlife-and-plant-species?service=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:4326&LAYERS=WAA_WILDLIFE_MGMT_UNITS_C&STYLES=&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&FORMAT=image/png)) and view the info on Google Earth.