PDA

View Full Version : Would be nice to see more deer

HarryToolips
12-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Hello fellow hunters, I live in West Kelowna, have been hunting since 2008, and it is one of my biggest passions, love just being in the outdoors. Like most of you I'm sure, I consider conservation an even bigger passion, as I want to have good hunting with my boy in the years ahead when he's old enough, and I love seeing a healthy population of wildlife. I have my doubts sometimes with the job the Ministry of Environment is doing, it seems to me that years before there were more deer before they opened the seasons more liberally in 2010. I have sent several E mails to the Okanagan MOE biologist stating that in my opinion, they should shorten the mule deer "any buck" season by a week or so, same with the whitetail antlerless and even whitetail buck seasons. If any of you agree that something should be done, I suggest sending them E mails like I did, pressure from hunters can make a difference.

Thoughts everyone?

pickle88
12-02-2012, 09:15 PM
maybe your not looking in the right places ..i seen more deer this year than other years ..where i hunt in reg 3 and 8 the populations are doing just fine

yukon john
12-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Whitetails are vermin imho, if someone wants a whitetail they can go anywhere in north america, no sense having them here as well. Save the Mulies for the trophies and let the meat hunters wipe out the whitetails.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
There's more reading material than you can handle in these two threads....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?74753-Mulw-deer-population&highlight=Mulw+deer
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?89469-Kootenay-deer-bag-limit-reduced&highlight=Mulw+deer

You said you starting hunting in 2008....well thet just happens to be (roughly) the last peak of the local deer population. Pred #'s have risen substantially since then and are now having an impact on deer numbers.

If you think it's because of the any buck season, you haven't been hunting long enough.

SSS

hunter1993ap
12-02-2012, 09:28 PM
There's more reading material than you can handle in these two threads....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?74753-Mulw-deer-population&highlight=Mulw+deer
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?89469-Kootenay-deer-bag-limit-reduced&highlight=Mulw+deer

You said you starting hunting in 2008....well thet just happens to be (roughly) the last peak of the local deer population. Pred #'s have risen substantially since then and are now having an impact on deer numbers.

If you think it's because of the any buck season, you haven't been hunting long enough.

SSS
you say the last peak was around 2008, do you remember the last time the numbers were low before that?

Sitkaspruce
12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Regulated hunting will not affect over all deer populations.

Go read the Kootenay Bag limit post and you will see that hunting has nothing to do with population of animals.

Why do hunters want to restrict hunters from hunting by shortening seasons and reducing bag limits????

We are our own worst enemies......stop requesting to put restrictions on us!!!!! if you want to do something, get on the bio's, politions and anyone else who wants to listen about improving habitat, stop unregulated hunting and pit lamping, fencing those damn highways and putting a damn dent in the preds!!!!

STOP RESTRICTING US HUNTERS!!!! IT'S HARD ENOUGH TO KEEP OUR NUMBERS UP AND GET OUT FOR A HUNT WITHOUT OTHER HUNTERS WANTING TO RESTICT US!!!! IF THERE IS PROBLEM, DEAL WITH IT WITHOUT MORE RESTRICTIONS.......

I will stop yelling now, but man this is getting old and pi$$es me off!!!!!

Cheers

SS

604redneck
12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
i think bow season should be increased, rifle shortened and alot of areas turned to the same idea as "the burn" with open and closed roads not for the wildlifes sake. I just think alot of people that just truck hunt or quad hunt would have a new appreciation for wildlife(I'm not pointing fingers at any specific person). Besides you see more when you walk ;)

604redneck
12-02-2012, 09:38 PM
also bounties on coyotes and wolves paid by the government would get more people into looking for predators! Not that shooting wolves and coyotes 1 x 1 will lower the population but the more people out there the better!

pickle88
12-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Go read the Kootenay Bag limit post and you will see that hunting has nothing to do with population of animals.

Why do hunters want to restrict hunters from hunting by shortening seasons and reducing bag limits????

We are our own worst enemies......stop requesting to put restrictions on us!!!!! if you want to do something, get on the bio's, politions and anyone else who wants to listen about improving habitat, stop unregulated hunting and pit lamping, fencing those damn highways and putting a damn dent in the preds!!!!

STOP RESTRICTING US HUNTERS!!!! IT'S HARD ENOUGH TO KEEP OUR NUMBERS UP AND GET OUT FOR A HUNT WITHOUT OTHER HUNTERS WANTING TO RESTICT US!!!! IF THERE IS PROBLEM, DEAL WITH IT WITHOUT MORE RESTRICTIONS.......

Cheers

SS

love it ss...you hit that right on the bullseye

hunter1993ap
12-02-2012, 09:44 PM
i would like to see more road restrictions, as i have personaly seen quads driving where you should not be on a quad. if people stayed on the road with there motorized vehicles things like this could be avoided, garnet valley vehicle restriction is a prime example. there are many more places that need this as well. sitka's post is perfect.

pantsandbelt
12-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Ya i agree the more predators are controlled the more game there is i heard of a herd of caribou brought here from the states and the government paid a lot of money to get them here and now the wolfes and coyotes are knocking them down i would control the predators more and there would be more game for us hunters to shoot and less complaining we would get the ecosystem back on track too

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 09:46 PM
you say the last peak was around 2008, do you remember the last time the numbers were low before that?

About a decade before that.........

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I live in West Kelowna.................they should shorten the mule deer "any buck" season by a week or so, same with the whitetail antlerless and even whitetail buck seasons.

Lots of similar talk coming from this area recently......must be something in the water.

hunter1993ap
12-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Lots of similar talk coming from this area recently......must be something in the water.

mabey the wolves are starting to have an impact.

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 09:53 PM
i would like to see more road restrictions, as i have personaly seen quads driving where you should not be on a quad. if people stayed on the road with there motorized vehicles things like this could be avoided, garnet valley vehicle restriction is a prime example. there are many more places that need this as well.

This has nothing to do with the topic.......maybe start a seperate thread to avoid derailment.

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 09:55 PM
mabey the wolves are starting to have an impact.

Perhaps....nothing to do with hunter harvest then. Sounds like a seperate issue that needs to be dealt with.

coach
12-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Dear MOE,

I'm a relatively new and inexperienced hunter. I've seen all kinds of pictures of other people's success in Region 8 - but I haven't got a clue how to find animals for myself. I'm afraid the sky is falling. Please start shortening seasons and restricting hunters so we can save more animals. BTW - there's a lot more predators moving into our area lately. I think this is the perfect time to start trying to stockpile ungulates. Hopefully the wolves will die from over eating.

Sincerely,

Captain Nodeer

hunter1993ap
12-02-2012, 10:00 PM
This has nothing to do with the topic.......maybe start a seperate thread to avoid derailment.

relates but mabey not as close as other reasons. the places with roads push the animals to where they are not pressured. not in all places but in some. this could be why he is not seeing much.

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Dear MOE,

I'm a relatively new and inexperienced hunter. I've seen all kinds of pictures of other people's success in Region 8 - but I haven't got a clue how to find animals for myself. I'm afraid the sky is falling. Please start shortening seasons and restricting hunters so we can save more animals. BTW - there's a lot more predators moving into our area lately. I think this is the perfect time to start trying to stockpile ungulates. Hopefully the wolves will die from over eating.

Sincerely,

Captain Nodeer

Captain my captain that was :-D:)

pnbrock
12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
coach funny but a little mean.haha

Sofa King
12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Whitetails are vermin imho, if someone wants a whitetail they can go anywhere in north america, no sense having them here as well. Save the Mulies for the trophies and let the meat hunters wipe out the whitetails.

good thing that's only iyo.
they are where they are naturally.
they have just as much right being somewhere as mulies.
sure, i too prefer mules, but i sure as shit don't think whiteys should be erased because of that.
that's purely unethical and not a thinking that should be endorsed.

dana
12-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Cheers

SS

Sitka,
Couldn't have said it better. I guess I'm just too mean eh? I just hate it when hunters want to restrict other hunters all the time. The other day I was told I was a bad example for my kids. Funny, I thought I was just trying to fight for my kid's right to continue to hunt the way they were brought up. But nope, I need to shut my mouth and let others dicate how everyone should hunt. I'm the @ss and everyone crying for more restrictions are the saints. Funny how life is isn't it???

Sofa King
12-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Ya i agree the more predators are controlled the more game there is i heard of a herd of caribou brought here from the states and the government paid a lot of money to get them here and now the wolfes and coyotes are knocking them down i would control the predators more and there would be more game for us hunters to shoot and less complaining we would get the ecosystem back on track too

there's not a wolf problem in kelowna.
stop blaming the big, bad wolf.

kelowna has tons of deer, both mule and white.
i've gotten more mules from around kelowna than anywhere else.

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
coach funny but a little mean.haha
Mean? no I think I share a similar frustration with Coach many people on here are not reading and just posting up ignorant rants instead of reading related threads which contain tons of info and answer these questions numerous times over.

pantsandbelt
12-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Duallie im not talking about kelowna im talking in general the wolves are having a impact on other areas there are lots of deer in kelowna area just have to do your homework and scout and stick and stay and make it pay :-D

The Dude
12-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Dear MOE,

Sincerely,

Captain Nodeer

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/maddermax/full_of_win.jpg

Sofa King
i would like to see more road restrictions, as i have personaly seen quads driving where you should not be on a quad. if people stayed on the road with there motorized vehicles things like this could be avoided, garnet valley vehicle restriction is a prime example. there are many more places that need this as well. sitka's post is perfect.

bullshit.
the okanagan has already imposed crazy off-road restrictions.
stop trying to penalize the honest man.
we need more freedoms, not regulations.

one-shot-wonder

I am not following you down this rabbit hole Duallie...... either you haven't a long history in the Kelowna area or you have not spent much time afield the past few seasons to realize the wolf numbers have increased ten fold.

The Dude
12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
We need more burns, more habitat enhancement, More predator hunters, less roads, and giant, huge magnums, and we'll all be fine.

hunter1993ap
12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
bullshit.

not honest man, lazy man. which crazy restrictions are you reffering to, not driving your quad in the alpine is crazy?, or all over the mule deer winter range? i am not lying, or making up stories about quads being where they shouldnt be.

pickle88
12-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Mean? no I think I share a similar frustration with Coach many people on here are not reading and just posting up ignorant rants instead of reading related threads which contain tons of info and answer these questions numerous times over.

this is what this site has come to become..its dam near impossible not to get a lashing with any question posted .. and thats to bad cuz there could be a better way of handling things. the sarcazm doesnt help.
but hey ,,what do i no..................

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
A little sarcasm and humour isnt the end of the world, nor is people asking redundant quesions. But it would be nice to see participation in ongoing threads that discuss these topics, or even the search functions used.

Perhaps were in for a long offseason.............

trapperRick
12-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Totally agree with hunter1993ap

The Dude
12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Apparently Dualie's never been up Crater Mtn and seen the carnage up there that lawbreakers have wreaked in the "NO VEHICLE" Areas.
But he's known for orating from his rectum, so business as usual, I suppose.

pickle88
12-02-2012, 10:46 PM
A little sarcasm and humour isnt the end of the world, nor is people asking redundant quesions. But it would be nice to see participation in ongoing threads that discuss these topics, or even the search functions used.

but its nothing to get all pissy about when a guy just mentions how he feels about the subject..as u can see i answered with what thought on the subject ..didnt jump down his throat making him look stupid ..we are all hunters and should act like we all have the same thing in common..(hunting)

604redneck
12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
This has nothing to do with the topic.......maybe start a seperate thread to avoid derailment. Has lots to do with the thread imo walk more see more

pickle88
12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Apparently Dualie's never been up Crater Mtn and seen the carnage up there that lawbreakers have wreaked in the "NO VEHICLE" Areas.
But he's known for orating from his rectum, so business as usual, I suppose.

im up crater mnt all the time ..what carnage u talking about..
i want to see damage pics , i bet u dont have any ..ive been from one end to the other and i seen no damage ,just game

The Dude
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
this is what this site has come to become..its dam near impossible not to get a lashing with any question posted .. and thats to bad cuz there could be a better way of handling things. the sarcazm doesnt help.

For someone that constantly complains about this site, you sure spend a lot of time on it.

Once again, MANY threads on this, an Encyclopedia of information, and posters that are too lazy to do some reading, and instead post up uninformed rantings get a free tune up and oil change.
I don't think many of us see a problem with that, "Geoff".

604redneck
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Dear MOE,

Sincerely,

Captain Nodeer
hahahahaha never cease to amaze me bud

coach
12-02-2012, 10:51 PM

It appears Harry has read the Kootenay thread:

Thats a good thing, now they just need to reduce the regional bag limit for the Thompson to two as well..In regions 3, 4, and 8, I think they should reduce the mule deer "any buck" season to Oct 1 to 25, reduce the whitetail doe season to Oct 10 to 25, and cut back the whitetail buck season to finish a week sooner or so as well. This would result in more deer, meaning more hunting opportunity! If anyone agrees with me, then send your local MOE e-mails, with enough of us doing this they'll eventually have to listen.

So we have a relatively new hunter who's bent on having the rest of us restricted because he has trouble finding animals. I have a thread that's been on going since May which features a fair amount of hunter success and different animals every week. I wrote it to inspire others to be successful. Who's the mean one here? Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of the broken record on this site. Too many guys who haven't taken the time to educate themselves
want to push to have the rest of us restricted. Non-stop complaints of too many hunters - but a strong desire to condense seasons. How's that going to spread people out?

OutWest
12-02-2012, 10:52 PM
i think bow season should be increased, rifle shortened and alot of areas turned to the same idea as "the burn" with open and closed roads not for the wildlifes sake. I just think alot of people that just truck hunt or quad hunt would have a new appreciation for wildlife(I'm not pointing fingers at any specific person). Besides you see more when you walk ;)

So you don't want to make more deer? You just want more restrictive seasons that make you feel good.

pickle88
12-02-2012, 10:53 PM
For someone that constantly complains about this site, you sure spend a lot of time on it.

Once again, MANY threads on this, an Encyclopedia of information, and posters that are too lazy to do some reading, and instead post up uninformed rantings get a free tune up and oil change.
I don't think many of us see a problem with that, "Geoff".

get it right dude ...ive never said i dont like this site, im just sick of guys getting there heads bitten off by assholes who think there king shit ..

604redneck
12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
bullshit.
dont need a vehicle to hunt should only be allowed vehicles on the mains never on a spur or trails unless its a ohv area

Gateholio
12-02-2012, 10:55 PM

Jeff, you should go back to your other site, since you seem to have lots of problems with HBC. I realize that there are only a dozen guys actually posting there so it's probably pretty boring, but why beg me to allow you to stay on HBC when all you seem to want to do is complain about it?

The Dude
12-02-2012, 10:55 PM
get it right dude ...ive never said i dont like this site, im just sick of guys getting there heads bitten off by assholes who think there king shit ..

So you're calling Coach an asshole now?

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 10:57 PM
but its nothing to get all pissy about when a guy just mentions how he feels about the subject..as u can see i answered with what thought on the subject ..didnt jump down his throat making him look stupid ..we are all hunters and should act like we all have the same thing in common..(hunting)

Yes we are all hunters.....one commonality.
A common theme on the forum lately is lazy hunters that just want success without putting in the require time and research and effort.
Just like our jobs, some people show up to work and some just show up.

pickle88
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
So you're calling Coach an asshole now?

please .....dont start shit ....
im not calling anyone in particular ...

just all the negative comment guys ..give your head a shake ..

604redneck
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
So we have a relatively new hunter who's bent on having the rest of us restricted because he has trouble finding animals. I have a thread that's been on going since May which features a fair amount of hunter success and different animals every week. I wrote it to inspire others to be successful. Who's the mean one here? Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of the broken record on this site. Too many guys who haven't taken the time to educate themselves
want to push to have the rest of us restricted. Non-stop complaints of too many hunters - but a strong desire to condense seasons. How's that going to spread people out?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here coach since i know how many new hunters you take out to try and show the ropes too....its frustrating when people want the rest of the "group" punished so there will be more deer that they still wont see.

one-shot-wonder
12-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Dont go getting yourself all in a pickle now.......I think this useless thread has run its course.

604redneck
12-02-2012, 11:03 PM
So you don't want to make more deer? You just want more restrictive seasons that make you feel good.
If thats how you see it....
too be honest im sick of seeing obese men out smoking in there trucks only getting out to shoot. I've never had a problem getting atleast one good shot at a good animal and I dont know how you think me wanting a slightly longer bow season will make me feel good?

pickle88
12-02-2012, 11:04 PM
am i the only one who has any compassion on here ..ive been back for about 2 weeks now and all ive seen is the same guys just making negative comments to any thread they dont agree with ...man ,,who do you guys think you are ,your no better than them ,or anyone for that matter ..

604redneck
12-02-2012, 11:05 PM
And ya this thread should probably get locked soon its going nowhere good

The Dude
12-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Goodbye Jeff, up to your usual games of calling names, raising shit, starting fights, and then throwing up your hands and playing "poor me".

Don't let the door hit you in the ass. Thanks for dropping by! :D <<< Smiley Face.

pickle88
12-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Goodbye Jeff, up to your usual games of calling names, raising shit, starting fights, and then throwing up your hands and playing "poor me".

Don't let the door hit you in the ass. Thanks for dropping by! :D <<< Smiley Face.

no...im the only one who stands up to you bullies....and thats exactly what u are

see ya

coach
12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
am i the only one who has any compassion on here ..ive been back for about 2 weeks now and all ive seen is the same guys just making negative comments to any thread they dont agree with ...man ,,who do you guys think you are ,your no better than them ,or anyone for that matter ..

Jeff - welcome back to the site. Not sure why your sudden hostility toward me. Calling me an asshole is pretty ridiculous. I've always shown you respect and hope you can stay on the site - because you do have good things to contribute. As for thinking I'm better than other people - forget about it. We should all be in this together rather than fighting each other and pushing for more restrictions. We should all take more time to educate ourselves on wildlife management. I suspect the OP of this thread was trolling to begin with and the shitstorm that's followed now has him laughing in his lazy boy.

OutWest
12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
dont need a vehicle to hunt should only be allowed vehicles on the mains never on a spur or trails unless its a ohv area

No vehicles on spurs? Give me a break.

OutWest
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
too be honest im sick of seeing obese men out smoking in there trucks only getting out to shoot. I've never had a problem getting atleast one good shot at a good animal and I dont know how you think me wanting a slightly longer bow season will make me feel good?

Stop worrying about how other people hunt.

pickle88
12-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Jeff - welcome back to the site. Not sure why your sudden hostility toward me. Calling me an asshole is pretty ridiculous. I've always shown you respect and hope you can stay on the site - because you do have good things to contribute. As for thinking I'm better than other people - forget about it. We should all be in this together rather than fighting each other and pushing for more restrictions. We should all take more time to educate ourselves on wildlife management. I suspect the OP of this thread was trolling to begin with and the shitstorm that's followed now has him laughing in his lazy boy.

coach ...i never aimed it strickly towards you ...its towards all the negativity.. sorry if i offended you ..i apologise ,i respect you ..

im sorry

if you go back and re read my posts ,i never aimed it towards you coach..

monasheemountainman
12-02-2012, 11:24 PM

Its spelled La-Z-Boy, get it right A-hole!

The Dude
12-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Pretty sure it was a Troll, and I think I know who lives under the bridge........ OP user name... LMAO....nice one.

604redneck
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Stop worrying about how other people hunt.
Well I know what I'm pushing for ur opinion is yours

pantsandbelt
12-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Seems like this thread has turned into shot for shot fights we are on this site to share intrests in hunting and share our knowledge not to fight and take shots at each other there has to be some comedy in the threads too but take the question seriously and show some RESPECT for other hunters isnt that why were on this site in the first place.

OutWest
12-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Well I know what I'm pushing for ur opinion is yours

Why are you so concerned with how other people hunt?

So the guy taking his kid out and introducing him/her to hunting should be strictly limited to main roads?

coach
12-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Its spelled La-Z-Boy, get it right A-hole!

HA HA!! Awesome, Ben!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2012, 06:41 AM

Not a wolf problem quite yet...but that's probably going to change in the near future.
We have got a pile of cougars in the central OK right now....and the cat hunters can't aren't going to do anything about it. There's a lot of females out there and when the few cat hunters that are out there only have a bag limit of one, not many are inclined to cut their tag on an old female or young male.
I've got a friend who chases cats and he's always been protective of the cat population....but he's singing a different song right now.

SSS

GoatGuy
12-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Hello fellow hunters, I live in West Kelowna, have been hunting since 2008, and it is one of my biggest passions, love just being in the outdoors. Like most of you I'm sure, I consider conservation an even bigger passion, as I want to have good hunting with my boy in the years ahead when he's old enough, and I love seeing a healthy population of wildlife. I have my doubts sometimes with the job the Ministry of Environment is doing, it seems to me that years before there were more deer before they opened the seasons more liberally in 2010. I have sent several E mails to the Okanagan MOE biologist stating that in my opinion, they should shorten the mule deer "any buck" season by a week or so, same with the whitetail antlerless and even whitetail buck seasons. If any of you agree that something should be done, I suggest sending them E mails like I did, pressure from hunters can make a difference.

Thoughts everyone?

It seems your observations might not be totally correct.

Suggest more time in the field, learning about wildlife management and the historic regulations in the region.

Deer_Slayer
12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
How about putting restrictions on land owners and how they are allowed to prevent hunters harvesting animals that they DO NOT OWN. Everywhere you go now, it is vast ranch lands and fenced. Getting like Alberta and the US. I am sure these guys always have venison in their freezers

Cami
12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I think it would be a good idea to change the regs and not make us hunt buck by there antler count. It would be way better if we would hunt by age ( i know its way harder to determine the age of a buck but this way we would give the young buck with good gens at least a chance to breed)
We can not say to the year how old a buck is but we should have knowledge to tell if its a young ( 2-3 year) old buck or if he is older.
I never gonna happen i know but wouldn't it be way better if we let the good bucks get older. Tell me if i m wrong but like in some areas we are only allowed to hunt bucks so we do but dont we throw the balance of does / buck.
One of the benefits if the balance is right is that the rut would be much stronger what makes it "easier" for us .

lovemywinchester
12-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Go back and read some of your old posts, then go look up the word hypocrisy.

HarryToolips
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Wow was shocked at the reaction from some people with my post "would be nice to see more deer". I can understand how that makes some of you angry, as your beliefs are that the deer numbers are doing great and it's the preds that are affecting the deer population the most, and that all sounds like good news to me. FYI, I'm a hike in-pack animal out GET OFF THE ROADS hunter, and was just expressing my observations the past few years, and I scout YEAR ROUND, and pred hunt. It's pretty easy to lose faith in the MOE's decisions sometimes, like why they open up 6 pt bull elk season Okanagan region wide is beyond me, as the herds on the west side of Okanagan lake are small. It's decisions like that make you wonder.

Gateholio
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
You should just put this on the original thread, keep it all in one place

Sofa King
12-03-2012, 01:47 PM
even those that make the rules often have no idea what they are doing.
there's not much point even wondering about it.
look at fishing.
how are perch such a dangerous, invasive, threatening species, yet they put limits on how many one can catch?
try and get them to explain that one.

sawmill
12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
All depends where you live Toolips.Lots of deer here(whities) and LOTS of elk.Mulies have never really come back from winter 1998..Almost wiped them out.Elk got hit hard too but they are fine,almost too fine this time of year.Worth your life to drive the Highways some nights.

Sitkaspruce
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow was shocked at the reaction from some people with my post "would be nice to see more deer". I can understand how that makes some of you angry, as your beliefs are that the deer numbers are doing great and it's the preds that are affecting the deer population the most, and that all sounds like good news to me. FYI, I'm a hike in-pack animal out GET OFF THE ROADS hunter, and was just expressing my observations the past few years, and I scout YEAR ROUND, and pred hunt. It's pretty easy to lose faith in the MOE's decisions sometimes, like why they open up 6 pt bull elk season Okanagan region wide is beyond me, as the herds on the west side of Okanagan lake are small. It's decisions like that make you wonder.

I guess you have to ask yourself, why would you want more restrictions on hunters??? Do you really believe that in the 2-3 month season that hunters put enough of a dent in an animal population that the population will start to decline??? What about the other 9-10 months?? They still die during those times as well, there is probably more killed in the off season than during the season....yet it is guys like you who think that hunting is the only thing killing deer....and want more restictions like shorter seasons, point restrictions and so on. Lets stop restricting hunters and lets focus on the facts, like preds, highways, unregulated hunting and the biggest of all...Habitat. Work on those problems and we will see better seasons and more animals.

Oh and as for the elk, not sure about the population where you are, but opening up the season across all of region 4 and 8 at the same time relieves pressure and spreads out the hunters. And you will NEVER reduce elk numbers with a 6 point season.

Animals will do fine with the restrictions we already have in place for hunting.

Cheers

SS

OutWest
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Because a 6pt season will not negatively effect elk populations.

pickle88
12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Go back and read some of your old posts, then go look up the word hypocrisy.

sorry ,you got it wrong ...i always ...always defended myself ...never did i jump down someones throut for asking questions ,or never did i critisize anyones ethics

270WIN
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
It is kind of funny how hunters are there worst enemy. Arguments between hunters about how many deer should be shot or what should be open. We as hunters have to worry about anti-groupsplus we have to worry about other hunters now wonder hunting is a dyeing sport.The energy we have toward each other we should channel to anti-hunting groups.

iwing
12-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Point restrictions just mean more dead animals left in the bush after someone miscounts them.

Glenny
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
even those that make the rules often have no idea what they are doing.
there's not much point even wondering about it.
look at fishing.
how are perch such a dangerous, invasive, threatening species, yet they put limits on how many one can catch?
try and get them to explain that one.

I know what you mean. Look at the Beaver Lakes chain by Big Lake/Likely area. Became over ran with bass and you can't keep any. I yhink the thought there is they don't want to encourage people to plant more. I sure would like a boat load of those bass though.

Glenny
12-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Sounds like Klingon logic here. Better areas for the young and fit and strong. The old and sick can go off and die. "Again with the Klingons!!" :)

OutWest
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM
sorry ,you got it wrong ...i always ...always defended myself ...never did i jump down someones throut for asking questions ,or never did i critisize anyones ethics

You're your own worst enemy. You get yourself into trouble by trying to stand up for other guys and everyone knows it's easy to get you going. Pay no attention to it and you'll be fine.

hunter1993ap
12-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Sounds like Klingon logic here. Better areas for the young and fit and strong. The old and sick can go off and die. "Again with the Klingons!!" :)

You forgot to mention lazy which would be about 80%.

HarryToolips
12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Man some of you guys on here are halarious, maybe you haven't been laid in a while or something, anyway, I am hike in the bush hunter, I scout all year long, take a few preds, have trail cams out year round and these are just my observations. No need to fly off the handle.

Glenny
12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I think it was assumed the 80% are lazy.

reach
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Welcome to HuntingBC :D

Jimmy4x4
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM

so says you with pics and videos of you and your friends mud bogging and chewing the shit out of wetlands on your facebook. what a hypocrite

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/7133_281802585586_630856_n.jpg

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/7133_281802595586_3344385_n.jpg

358mag
12-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Because a 6pt season will not negatively effect elk populations.

Just on the 6 pt bulls:twisted:

madrona sh
12-03-2012, 05:31 PM
What ever happened to tread lightly?

Elkhound
12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
You should just put this on the original thread, keep it all in one place

Gates is right. So I merged both threads

scoutlt1
12-03-2012, 05:43 PM
How the hell did I miss all this fun last night??? :-D

*bcgold*
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Read the first page and things went side ways fast. I'm lost on what I was to learn off this, except I saw some people with knee pads on. OH, I also learned there is a search option for old post.

604redneck
12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
so says you with pics and videos of you and your friends mud bogging and chewing the shit out of wetlands on your facebook. what a hypocrite

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/7133_281802585586_630856_n.jpg

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/7133_281802595586_3344385_n.jpg
lots of farms and private land where i grew up....not that it makes it right but i do alot to clean areas I hunt up.

604redneck
12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I guess so but its my opinion thats all

pickle88
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
You're your own worst enemy. You get yourself into trouble by trying to stand up for other guys and everyone knows it's easy to get you going. Pay no attention to it and you'll be fine.

your absolutly right
thanks nickroth89

coach
12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
your absolutely right
thanks nickroth89

Good on you, Jeff. Although I'm an asshole, I know you're a stand up guy. I do hope you stick around. Great to read on the other site about you taking a new hunter out and getting him started! Don't get sucked in to stuff..

pickle88
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Good on you, Jeff. Although I'm an asshole, I know you're a stand up guy. I do hope you stick around. Great to read on the other site about you taking a new hunter out and getting him started! Don't get sucked in to stuff..

thanks coach ...i will do my best ..
and ya ..ive taken out 2 green guys now ..2 different times ..
sorry for the sidetrack of this thread.....

ianwuzhere
12-03-2012, 06:49 PM
yup good yell sitka!!
well said

wsm
12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
if there was a population problem with any of our ungulates , WOULD YOU ADMIT IT ? . just a question

Gateholio
12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
if there was a population problem with any of our ungulates , WOULD YOU ADMIT IT ? . just a question

Hunters have traditionally been the first whistle blowers when there is a population problem.

hunter1993ap
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure it was a Troll, and I think I know who lives under the bridge........ OP user name... LMAO....nice one.
the user name is a dead give away, lol. not sure how i missed it the first time. i have a guess at who it might be, but not possitive..

Jimmy4x4
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
lots of farms and private land where i grew up....not that it makes it right but i do alot to clean areas I hunt up.

Postill where you took the pics and vids is crown land and a shit show after what you guys have done up there. co says the whole area is in danger of being closed to everyone now. thanks a million

GoatGuy
12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Postill where you took the pics and vids is crown land and a shit show after what you guys have done up there. co says the whole area is in danger of being closed to everyone now. thanks a million

If you have pics and vids please of environmental damage please send to CO service:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm

I don't care who it is, that stuff can't be tolerated.

GoatGuy
12-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Man some of you guys on here are halarious, maybe you haven't been laid in a while or something, anyway, I am hike in the bush hunter, I scout all year long, take a few preds, have trail cams out year round and these are just my observations. No need to fly off the handle.

How many deer do you typically see in a day of hunting?

How many deer do you believe you should see in a day of hunting?

How many days do you deer hunt?

OutWest
12-03-2012, 10:50 PM

x2 on what GG said.

There's also a thread up on Castanet about the damage that's been done up there.

Gateholio
12-03-2012, 10:51 PM

Yes, please take any information of that nature to the CO's. HBC isn't a courtroom.

Deer_Slayer
12-03-2012, 11:30 PM
agree 100 and 10 %

The Dude
12-03-2012, 11:38 PM
In response to the OP:

HERE is all the deer:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/SDC13200.jpg

Some little 3 and 4 points from last fall:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Hunting/Threemuledeerbucksmediumscore.jpg

Other than these, my buddy emailed me an hour ago. He's seen 14 for points and countless smaller bucks in the last few weeks. Less does and fawns this year, however, and more wolves and wolf sign.

scoutlt1
12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Those pics are photoshopped Dude...anyone can see that!

There are no deer left anywhere, and I don't really think there's more than a couple of wolves even left in B.C. either....

The Dude
12-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Dammit, you're ON to me!

scoutlt1
12-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Always had my suspicions....but now I have the pics to prove it!!! :)

hunter1947
12-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Some areas have very little deer and some areas have lots of deer and then there are areas that have to many deer you just got to look around till you find a place that holds some or a lot of deer..

GoatGuy
12-17-2012, 05:23 PM
How many deer do you typically see in a day of hunting?

How many deer do you believe you should see in a day of hunting?

How many days do you deer hunt?

Harry Toolips these question are for you.

Jelvis
12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Would be nice to win a million dollars too.
I see at least 10 mule deer a day during hunting season
How many (I should see?) at least one or two an hour hiking.
Some years I hunt 30 days
This year dick too busy with helping others with health problems.
Three years ago I saw 200 mule deer in one week end late season one hour from the double whammy Kammy.
Late season they are every where within four K of the river.
I could go there now and see hundreds in a day.
Jel .. Mule deer habby tats .. Buddah Bing Buddah BOOM!

hunter1993ap
12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
some days i dont see a deer.. and some days i do. a good day for me would be seeing a couple nice four points.

pickle88
12-17-2012, 07:16 PM
i really notice as the year gets under way that the deer slowy get more scarce ...in the spring while scouting ...im out dam near every weekend ...i will see way more bucks in july august and sept ...but as the months go buy they seem to timber up ..

just cuz you dont see deer doesnt mean there not there ...they no how to hide pretty good ..

trapperRick
12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Not understanding why anyone would suggest that we get rid of all the WT? They are great to hunt, taste good, thier numbers will go up and down in cycles like all the other animals. To try and blame the MD numbers solely on the WT does not sound right to me, I think the issue of MD numbers is not so cut and dry as to many WT around, it is way more complicated than that, habitat loss, road access all the logging due to the pine beetle to name just a few reasons that have affected the MD numbers.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Not understanding why anyone would suggest that we get rid of all the WT? They are great to hunt, taste good, thier numbers will go up and down in cycles like all the other animals. To try and blame the MD numbers solely on the WT does not sound right to me, I think the issue of MD numbers is not so cut and dry as to many WT around, it is way more complicated than that, habitat loss, road access all the logging due to the pine beetle to name just a few reasons that have affected the MD numbers.

I don't think anyone is saying that WTD #'s are the sole reason for declining muley numbers...but it's one factor we can easily control (at least decision wise) and the WTD can pops can handle the pressure.
The decision to try to control the WTD pop is a lot easier than convincing the right people to set some fires and cull some preds.

SSS

Hunting/addict
12-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Muledeer are heavily affected by too much access. It is rare now to see anyone walking more than 100 meters from a road. I realize some people for health reasons need to ride quads etc but the act of riding a vehicle around all day long is difficult to define as real hunting. I think roads should remain open but we should advocate for reducing road density. Eliminating much of the on block roads and circular roads would go along ways to helping wildlife.

hunter1993ap
12-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Muledeer are heavily affected by too much access. It is rare now to see anyone walking more than 100 meters from a road. I realize some people for health reasons need to ride quads etc but the act of riding a vehicle around all day long is difficult to define as real hunting. I think roads should remain open but we should advocate for reducing road density. Eliminating much of the on block roads and circular roads would go along ways to helping wildlife.

i agree with you that by limiting the access, creates less pressure and better for finding a quality buck. but does it do anything to increase the population? i also would like to see more logging block roads deactivated after the area is logged.

Jelvis
12-19-2012, 02:42 AM
white tails have an aggresive nature much more than a mule deer does. The peaceful muley gets bullied by the whitetails and gives up some territory because they wimp out and move out and the whitey's keep hasslin them.
The mule deer is being abused by the influx of the virginian white tails. What can we do, nothing. encroachment
whitetails alike valleys and river bottoms with agriculture and fields with apple orchards all year round on the lower elevations while the muley lives on the slopes and comes down in only winter.
We can't change it in one season anyways.

hunter1947
12-19-2012, 02:42 AM
It would be nice for a biologist that is still working at the wildlife management that is involved with the mule deer to give us his or her opinion on why the mule deer numbers are declining and what needs to be done in order to bring the population back to a stable number ,,yes we all have our thoughts what should be done ,, then again it would be nice to hear it from a mule deer biologist ...

Jimmy4x4
12-19-2012, 06:41 AM

hunter harvest of mule deer bucks has no effect whatsoever on mule deer population numbers. how many times do we have to say it? pushing your own agenda as to how you think people should hunt wont do anything for the deer but i guess you'll feel better about yourself somehow

Stone Sheep Steve
12-19-2012, 07:04 AM
It would be nice for a biologist that is still working at the wildlife management that is involved with the mule deer to give us his or her opinion on why the mule deer numbers are declining and what needs to be done in order to bring the population back to a stable number ,,yes we all have our thoughts what should be done ,, then again it would be nice to hear it from a mule deer biologist ...

Some people on this forum are not spewing their opinions based on their own observations. They are in constant contact with said people. "We" are not the experts, they are.

The info of what we need to do had been beaten to death. Burn some shit, reduce predators and reduce competition(for the mulies...not the hunters).

SSS

hunter1947
12-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Some people on this forum are not spewing their opinions based on their own observations. They are in constant contact with said people. "We" are not the experts, they are.

The info of what we need to do had been beaten to death. Burn some shit, reduce predators and reduce competition(for the mulies...not the hunters).

SSS

X2 I agree..

*bcgold*
12-19-2012, 07:17 AM
I don't want to be a pain, but this thread and Deer Population, are kinda the same thread? Can we kinda joined them together.

hunter1947
12-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Its sad that a registered trapper like my self can't trap on others trap lines that are not being used by the trapper that has his or her line ,, I know this is happening but they have ways around it,,trappers that do trap on there trap line want all the wolfs to them selfs they get a big dollar for a wolf..

Trappers take very few wolfs for a season on there trap line lots of wolfs still are there after they shut down end season ,,I have been trying to get permission to trap wolfs on registered trap lines in all cases the answer was no.

I know that you can get permission to trap on private property from farmers but that another issue most farmers don't want you to trap on there private land ...

These wolf traps are hear in my home and ready to be used when the right time rolls around.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_0085.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

HarryToolips
12-19-2012, 08:13 AM
I definitely agree with the previous post that more logging roads need to be deactivated after logging/replanting. Road access also plays a huge role in moose over harvest, although the moose in my area seem to be doing just fine. Maybe it's just that the WT have gotten alot smarter in my area, but I definitely see less than a few years back, Mulies in my area seem to be doing OK, just seeing less than a few year back as well. Just my observation, as well as many other hunters around here that I've talked too..

Walksalot
12-19-2012, 08:45 AM
The more time you spend in the bush the more deer and deer sign you will see. This is where they feel safest and spend most of their time. Having said that, when one sees logging companies creating huge clear cut which often extend up slope almost to the height of land and the same happening in the adjacent watershed the timber for the animals to hide in is a factor which must be taken into consideration. It does not bode well for the animals when strips of timber is all that is left for cover.
One can say that roads should be deactivated and access should be limited and to some extent this is correct. It is, however, all well and fine to adopt this line of thinking when one is young and full of piss and vinegar. This line of thinking may change once knees get worn out and age cramps a hunters style.

The Dude
12-19-2012, 08:49 AM

SSS

This post is full of WIN!

trapperRick
12-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Not sure about WT being more aggresive and pushing around MD, MD are a bigger bodied deer. I think WT are more adaptable and can bred at a more Prolific rate when conditions are good. I don't think they are as specialized as MD in regards to habitat etc.. and with all the logging and increased farm land it's affecting the MD negatively and they are not adjusting to the changes.

Jelvis
12-19-2012, 06:50 PM
If you want to see more deer go into the bush and hunt off the main roads, slow your walking pace down to very slow and stop every ten yards and look around for deer, focus and scan the area, deer are only 36 inches at the shoulder and can hide behind a garbage can lid.
Scan low to the ground and check the sky line of the ridges around you.
Jel .. Walk into bush slowly and go on ridges and look around as you go .. then you will see deer .. you need to work at it
Taken care of business. Unless you like to do nothin all day, it's the work that we avoid and you know I'm self employed
I love to work at nothin all day, then prolly very few sightings as your saying.

the bear
12-19-2012, 06:53 PM
hunted for 40 years willing to bet deer population high as its ever been

Jelvis
12-19-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm willing to bet the bear knows how to hunt deer, get out on the ridges and hunt like a Lone Wolf or Tom CAT.
40 years in the forests and fields and streams by the soundz of it.
Jel .. Let's get our fat hot cheeks off those truck seats fellas, and you will see deer like a bear not a race car driver, lol.

aggiehunter
12-20-2012, 08:02 PM
someone mentioned more bow seasons....yee haw....ooops...the region 8 bio won't allow the late mulie bow season to start on Nov. 11th as he "believes there is not enough surplus of deer to allow it"....got that in writing too...same excuse for the early bow only on Elk...WOW.....

Jelvis
12-21-2012, 08:16 PM
It takes a major huge event to change the regulations and laws, that have been used since 1940's and up.
Some have changed to different systems some have stayed about the same with gos length and opening day. Sept 10.
Bag limits have been adjusted and the LEH being so popular with people, to get a chance to win BIG
So let's not be to alarmed when the seasons stay about the same again in 2013.
Jelly Belly

aggiehunter
12-21-2012, 10:54 PM
1947......I wouldn't keep my at the ready wolfie traps near your gas can.....

hunter1947
12-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Many people don't realize that bears kill many deer fawns and elk fawns in the spring time ,,one year I was scouting for Roosevelt elk up near gold river Vancouver island ..
I came around a corner driving my truck to see a black bear with a fawn in its mouth running down the road ,,the bear run off the road and into thick undergrowth ,,yes I know I should do my part taking a few bears out ,,thinks I might get a bear tag this spring ,,the meat I will give to someone that needs it..