PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Paper

seatoskymiles
12-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Going to try and butcher my own deer this year and was wondering where to get some butcher paper?:confused:

Steeleco
12-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Dependent on how much you want you can get small quantities at your local grocery store. I got a large roll from Stuffer's in Langley. It's seen plenty of critters and still half way to go.

Brambles
12-02-2012, 12:30 AM
for your needs just buy a roll of "freezer king" at save on foods, will be more than enough on one roll to do a deer, if you buy a big bulk roll then your gonna need a paper dispenser stand thingy

Rhyno
12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I find the stuff from the grocery store to be expensive for the quantity....I have bought bulk rolls from Costco and Wholesale club that will last many a critter.

Brambles
12-02-2012, 09:20 AM
yes more expensive but if he's just doing one deer this late in the season it makes more sense, the freezer king box is the dispenser, if you buy bulk then you gotta purhcase a dispenser. I was lucky I found mine at an garage sale but I've never seen one in the stores around here to buy, just the rolls of paper.

You get WAY more on a bulk roll then in the freezer king but like I said, for your first cut and wrap job its more convienient

SR80
12-02-2012, 09:53 AM
that store called the grocery people sells it super cheap too

seatoskymiles
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
thanks guys, your way more helpful than facebook, all I got there was wise a$$ remarks. In Squamish so save-on here I come

Red Spratley
12-04-2012, 07:41 PM
my 2 cents i have wrapped deer with the big box of saran wrap from costco i double wrap it and then buy a roll of news paper roll ends from the local news paper shop then date it. i leave that roll of saran wrap in my meat cutting supplies. then write the date of every deer or moose we wrap on the box kind of fun reading the box. your meat will last for sure 2yrs like this. i know because some fell out and behind said try it to my darling bride it was fine.

Brambles
12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
You'll also wanna wrap your meat in saran wrap before the freezer paper, less blood leakage and you meat will last 10x longer

Rhyno
12-04-2012, 08:57 PM
You'll also wanna wrap your meat in saran wrap before the freezer paper, less blood leakage and you meat will last 10x longer
Agreed, I buy plastic baggies that are meant for the job, 4lb size is what I use. Works our to be pennies each, really prolongs the freezer life and no leakage!

Jason Melo
12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
We buy are paper from a store called HY LOUIE (might not be correct spelling) it comes in a big roll, its very cheap and it has lasted us four seasons, and each season we butchered three deer. Waxy on one side and unwaxed on the other side. Great paper

crazybushcreature
12-05-2012, 10:22 PM
What does HY Louie charge for it? i love that store

Jason Melo
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Dont quote me it was four years ago that I bought it but I think it was about $50-$60.... But its a huge roll of paper!

444marlin
12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I bought a roll of freezer paper (900 feet - 18 inch width) and a dispenser from Victoria Box and Paper.
Probably more than I will ever need but tired of running to Safeway.

Farmer
12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
The best place to buy freezer paper is from a butcher. We get it at Fraser Valley meats or Scotts Meat. They sell it by the pound. Pre cut in 16 or 18 inch squares (I think). Unless you are making big roasts, it is much faster to use. We only use paper off a roll for large roasts.

Rodd
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Saran wrap or baggies, then wrap it up... It'll definately last longer, if thats an issue... Mine never seem to make next summer... lol

bccanadian
12-07-2012, 01:25 AM
I was in Wholesale sports, picking up a lead sled this week and I happened to notice that they have the butcher paper dispensers and what looked like boxes containing possibly rolls of paper. Since I just noticed it in passing, I didn't take notice of the price.