PDA

View Full Version : mule deer next year,trying to plan a plan to work

bearheart
12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Freezer is full with moose and elk. Hunting done for the year ,I would like to get a nice ,decent 4x4 or better mule deer 150 class or better will be just dandy). I've spent almost 6 weeks over the past two years with no luck doing the wrong thing . I would like to spend most of next season concentrating on the mule deer issue. I live on the Island, 1st problem, I'm getting old, second problem, hunt alone and don't have a quad. Region 3 and 5 seem best bet from what I see on here. I figure on finding an area, going for 3-4 day trips through out the season, same area, till I connect. I like to be away from crowds so at first glance I'm thinking north of Little Fort/Clearwater. Further north too long/ too much time to travel. Is this reasonable plan? Only know thsese areas from driving through going hunting elsewhere. Thanks for any feedback about general strategy.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Pick a mountain in region 3 and hunt it hard!! Scouting is key. Go for a couple camping trips during the summer and hike your arse off. Summer they will be hanging out on north facing slopes. During the rut they will be were ever the does are. Hope this can help ya a bit..

Steelpulse
12-02-2012, 01:43 AM
I agree with the above
region 3 stay in Kamloop's or camp within an hour of the loops, so many options can go anywhere within 30 min drive and find some country that hold big bucks, key is find one area, one mountain one, one valley, whatever and hunt the crap out of it, trust that there is a big buck there and find it.

bearheart
12-02-2012, 07:48 AM
On my way home from bummer deer hunt in Alberta, driving through Kamloops I was impressed by how BIG it has grown, I would have thought hunting pressure would be +++, so I was thinking of heading north of Kamloops,3-44 and 3-46?I really don't like hunting where there are crowds. Don't much fancy getting shot,:wink:

604redneck
12-02-2012, 04:42 PM
there are 150 class deer throughout bc almost everywhere u go u just have to know where and how to hunt deer of that caliber.....sure some people drive down a spur and kill a monster buck but theres a reason why certain members on this site(not gonna name drop)consistently kill big bucks!
1) patience- You need to be willing too pass on an average deer knowing you may not see another 4 point all season.
2) scouting- Know where that deer lives and where he eats and drinks(also know where the does will be and sit there until he pops out with 5 minutes of shooting light left)
3) Hike- The big bucks live up with the goats(not shitting u I watched a mid november goat hunt where there was a good amount of snow and when they were walking up to retrieve there goat a 170" buck jumped out of his bed and bang!!)
Other than that take every bit of advice u can and obsess over google earth searching for your mountain.

604redneck
12-02-2012, 04:43 PM
most of the guys that are killing really big deer will pass on these 150-170" deer and look to always break 180/190

bearheart
12-02-2012, 05:40 PM
there are 150 class deer throughout bc almost everywhere u go u just have to know where and how to hunt deer of that caliber.....sure some people drive down a spur and kill a monster buck but theres a reason why certain members on this site(not gonna name drop)consistently kill big bucks!
1) patience- You need to be willing too pass on an average deer knowing you may not see another 4 point all season.
2) scouting- Know where that deer lives and where he eats and drinks(also know where the does will be and sit there until he pops out with 5 minutes of shooting light left)
3) Hike- The big bucks live up with the goats(not shitting u I watched a mid november goat hunt where there was a good amount of snow and when they were walking up to retrieve there goat a 170" buck jumped out of his bed and bang!!)
Other than that take every bit of advice u can and obsess over google earth searching for your mountain.
I know about the altitude thing, biggest mule deer I ever saw in the bush was while sheep hunting (the day before the season opened) Some areas of the Province have more mule deer than others though. I saw more mule deer on the side of the highway just north of Williams Lake than I saw hunting in the West Kootenays two seasons in a row.Thanks for the tips.

pickle88
12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
scouting an area is key ..trail cams are a big help as well ..once you pic an area thats holding deer,stick with that area only..hit it hard and have patience

tomahawk
12-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Good advice from all, my only comment is I prefer to take longer trips then only 3-4 days. By the time you catch a ferry and drive to area 3 or 5 you've eaten more then a half a day each direction. So that leaves you with less then 2 or 3 days hunting on a trip, not enough in my mind to establish some solid area.

bearheart
12-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Sounds nice, but I work 6 days a week most weeks of the year and if I ever want to retire I have to keep that schedule. Simply stated, can't afford that much time off, wish I could!:cry:

4 point
12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
13 working days left before I retire. I know where the deer are in my area of Reg 3. Taken numerous deer over the many years already. In 2013 and on I'll be able to spend as much time as I need out with a hunting partner. Oh and fish as much as I can in the summer. Get grandkids out etc. Can't wait.

s0ylentgreen
12-03-2012, 11:03 AM
congrats 4 pt - im so envious....

tomahawk
12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
13 working days left before I retire. I know where the deer are in my area of Reg 3. Taken numerous deer over the many years already. In 2013 and on I'll be able to spend as much time as I need out with a hunting partner. Oh and fish as much as I can in the summer. Get grandkids out etc. Can't wait.

Been there since May of 2008, its the best job I've ever had, hands down! Enjoy it!

tomahawk
12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Sounds nice, but I work 6 days a week most weeks of the year and if I ever want to retire I have to keep that schedule. Simply stated, can't afford that much time off, wish I could!:cry:

Your going to need some devine intervention or a couple horseshoes rammed up tight or the luck of the Irish if you cant put in the time to determine where the 150's and better are hangin. Good luck, it does happen that they show themselves sometimes without a lot of hard work so good luck. Just check the threads of those on HBC who are looking for the "big" bucks, its a lot of time and effort normally.

dana
12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
On my way home from bummer deer hunt in Alberta, driving through Kamloops I was impressed by how BIG it has grown, I would have thought hunting pressure would be +++, so I was thinking of heading north of Kamloops,3-44 and 3-46?I really don't like hunting where there are crowds. Don't much fancy getting shot,:wink:

I can assure you that you won't see much for hunting presure in 3-44. You won't be seeing much of anything. ;)

Jelvis
12-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Maybe get to know someone in the Kamloops area who knows the stuff already and woud be kind enuff to go with you or stay at their place in dah Loops. This is your best bet as I can see.
If you hunt early season, mid or late is another decision to make with someone in the know around Kamloops area.
Early season means velvet antlers, mid season is tuffer hunting but any buck October is great, late season has it's good times for the rut late October to later November, it's good hunting all around here.
Local knowledge is where it's at. Use PM's and search this great hunting BC site, there is no other site that has this extensive hunting knowledge on the intra web for hunting BC.
MU 3-27 is a good one for mule deer hunting success, I suggest up Oliver Creek, check your map just north of Kamloops on the Hwy 5 the Yellowhead. Go up the road, park and hike into muley paradise. You can hunt all day and never see another hunter if you get off the road and hike along.
Jel -- MU 3-27 up Oliver Creek .. You will be in muley hunting habitat --- allllll --- day --- long.

Sofa King
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
one word.
tunkwa.

bearheart
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
:mrgreen:
Been there since May of 2008, its the best job I've ever had, hands down! Enjoy it!
That is so mean, all you retired guys bragging! thanks for all the other advice though.