PDA

View Full Version : Wild Horses

The Dude
11-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Legal to shoot? To capture? (That would be a rodeo and a half)
They're considered pests in some areas, and good to eat....sooooo.... ?

mark
11-30-2012, 10:17 PM
logan lake mine area, road hunt em with a bow! lol

wrenchhead
11-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Cabio dablo half horse and half devil they say

The Dude
11-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Caballo Diablo.....lol

Jelvis
11-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Horse does not have a cloven hoof or chew it's cud .. sooo I'm out!
Jelgons Den -- I'm out!

Fella
11-30-2012, 10:40 PM
The Quebecois seem to love horse meat

The Dude
11-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Horse does not have a cloven hoof or chew it's cud .. sooo I'm out!
Jelgons Den -- I'm out!

You don't eat rabbits, ducks, grouse, geese or partridge?
We were poor growing up, and ate a lotta horse meat. Nothing wrong with it.
Would you drop one and eat it? is it legal?

gcreek
11-30-2012, 10:53 PM
You want to have an uprising? The Forestry counted 2500 from Redbrush Meadows to Nehamia Valley last winter and won't touch them because the Natives claim the horses belong to them. Only thing the wolves are good for is killing colts.

There are over 500 stray horses in the Anahim Lake area on top of that. Don't know what the Alkali/Joe's Lake herd has gotten to.

I do know there are WAAAAAY to many and very few ever get used for anything but conversation topics.

Jelvis
11-30-2012, 10:54 PM
No rabbit eddy > lol < a rodent yuk baaaaad, lol, no way for rodents.
Grouse have a crop. so yah luv grouse. Grouse is a bird a horse is not.

Ambush
11-30-2012, 11:04 PM
You want to have an uprising? The Forestry counted 2500 from Redbrush Meadows to NehamiaI....................... do know there are WAAAAAY to many.....

I was hoping to have a chance to bow hunt wild ones this fall, when I was there, but we ran out of time. Sounds like a fun, new experience.

And I'm not worried about an "up rising" 'cause I'd just come home and leave that mess with you. :-D :mrgreen:

Big Lew
11-30-2012, 11:12 PM
There used to be a significant number of descendants from the original wild horses frequenting the Tunkwa Lake area. There were bands throughout the southern Interior, Kootenays, as well most of the western States. Because of the conflict with ranching through grazing, winter feed, and stealing domestic mares, people started shooting them. From there, enterprising individuals used aircraft to shoot high numbers for dog food. Public outcry resulted in them
receiving government protection but by then most had been shot in B.C. There are still bands between Williams Lake and the Fraser, as well by Tunkwa Lake, but they are more closely related to modern day horses that were/are left by packers, ranchers, and more commonly, First Nations. The FNs north of Spences
Bridge used to raise some very good horses, but didn't always fence them in, allowing them to roam about east of the Thompson River. These horse sometimes ventured as far as the Mount Fehr area, including around Tunkwa Lake. The stallions would occasionally raid mares from the local ranches, including as far away as 'Farmers Ranch' and the 'Indian Gardens Ranch' above Savona. I have movie film of me, 40 years ago, pulling one such stallion out of a swamp,(all that was sticking up when I first saw him was his head, neck, and shoulders) using a pole derrick, multiple ropes, and my truck winch. It took me half a day to power saw my way in to him, thinking he was a stud from 'Farmers Ranch'.

gcreek
11-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I was hoping to have a chance to bow hunt wild ones this fall, when I was there, but we ran out of time. Sounds like a fun, new experience.

And I'm not worried about an "up rising" 'cause I'd just come home and leave that mess with you. :-D :mrgreen:

I'll tell them where you live and who your friends are!8) :grin:

wos
11-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I have wondered the same thing. It may not be politically correct in some peoples eyes but I have watched a ferrel heard grow over the last 15 years or so and they are starting to get a bit out of control. The only thing I was able to find out on the topic was horses are not allowed to free range. Unfortunately nobody would say yea let the led fly.

The Dude
11-30-2012, 11:19 PM
How do the Natives figure they own them? They were brought here by the Spanish, raised by Europeans, and set loose on Crown land............

How did they get here from THERE, logic-wise?

gutpile
11-30-2012, 11:28 PM
What does horse meat taste like ? ..... like chicken ?

Looking_4_Jerky
11-30-2012, 11:36 PM
What does horse meat taste like ? ..... like chicken ?

:D I'm outa there if it smells like fish too!

Ambush
11-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Just my luck I'd shoot one and get caught with it in my truck at the Alexis Trading Post. And for sure it would turn out to be a million dollar stud that belonged to Sammy-John Owl Hooter, but thankfully he'd be willing to settle for $500.
Still, a small price to pay for some fun.

There seems to be no definitive answer to the legality of hunting them by the average citizen.

The Dawg
11-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Just my luck I'd shoot one and get caught with it in my truck at the Alexis Trading Post. And for sure it would turn out to be a million dollar stud that belonged to Sammy-John Owl Hooter, but thankfully he'd be willing to settle for $500.
Still, a small price to pay for some fun.

There seems to be no definitive answer to the legality of hunting them by the average citizen.

Do what you did with that longhorn last year :D

Big Lew
11-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Many of the bands actually purchased or traded for their horses from the hordes of gold seekers, adventurers, settlers, and ranchers.
As far as I was able to find out, you're right about the horses not being allowed to 'free range' throughout the year, but no official will
have the guts to try to enforce it with FNs. They most likely would though if anyone else didn't adhere to the range rules.

The Dawg
11-30-2012, 11:42 PM
I was watching some as the sun goes down on the Arizona plain
It was quiet but the wind whistles by like a runaway train
Hey hey hey it's was a beautiful thing.

gcreek
11-30-2012, 11:45 PM
How do the Natives figure they own them? They were brought here by the Spanish, raised by Europeans, and set loose on Crown land............

Quite a few are actually branded. Not that a lot of the brands are even registered. Then 3 or 4 years colts following the old mare ....... Then just because they are there..... on "OUR" land.

They arrived "here" either by the gold rush days or previous trading/raiding missions involving those Natives that already had horses.

Ambush
11-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Do what you did with that longhorn last year :D

I did a bigger one in February, but without the publicity. :-D

The Dawg
11-30-2012, 11:46 PM
I did a bigger one in February, but without the publicity. :-D

Damn!!!! I wanna see!

You have the horns at your place? Next time Travis comes over, Ill tag along! :D

bearvalley
11-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Any "wild horse" in BC that traces back to the Spanish mustang had a relative that came here on the end of a lead rope or in the middle of a pack string. All wild horses in BC are feral horses.

Ambush
11-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Damn!!!! I wanna see!

You have the horns at your place? Next time Travis comes over, Ill tag along! :D

I have the horns from the first one here. The last one is getting a full head mount. Don't know what it's costing the farmer, but it will be very impressive! His wife is thrilled too. :mrgreen:

The Dawg
11-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I have the horns from the first one here. The last one is getting a full head mount. Don't know what it's costing the farmer, but it will be very impressive! His wife is thrilled too. :mrgreen:

Oh hell! How do I get in on this action? :D

Ambush
11-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Any "wild horse" in BC that traces back to the Spanish mustang had a relative that came here on the end of a lead rope or in the middle of a pack string. All wild horses in BC are feral horses.

Would a three day weekend be enough time to archery hunt one or two, if, say, a guy knew where to go and had access? I don't mind driving a few hours. I have a number of friends that eat horse meat regularly, but they have to buy it at specialty stores.

endtimerwithabow
11-30-2012, 11:58 PM
i have tried it and the flesh tastes like they smell i thought. if you want to try some go to a dutch deli and ask for a taster. this was way before i changed my diet and started to eat kosher foods only.

Ambush
11-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Oh hell! How do I get in on this action? :D

You have to volunteer to do the gutting, skinning and caping. But the tractor is a nice touch.

604redneck
12-01-2012, 12:02 AM
is the meat as sweet as my grandpa says?

Good2bCanadian
12-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Sitting in camp at 10:30 may long this year at Gun Creek rec site on the reservoir near Goldbridge.
Enjoying the camp fire I heard something in the trees. Grabbed my flashlight and looked, saw something large. Wtf.
Then about 5 horses come trotting thru camp. They moved around the site for 45 minutes then eventually left.

Next day saw them out on the reservoir.

Not sure if wld/ferrel or what?

The Dawg
12-01-2012, 12:08 AM
You have to volunteer to do the gutting, skinning and caping. But the tractor is a nice touch.

Done!!!!!!!!

bearvalley
12-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Would a three day weekend be enough time to archery hunt one or two, if, say, a guy knew where to go and had access? I don't mind driving a few hours. I have a number of friends that eat horse meat regularly, but they have to buy it at specialty stores.

I'll save you the gas and boot leather and sell you a couple. You can tell your buds they were wild. Be cheaper and no hassles but I hope you can plink darts better than half the stick n string hunters I've delt with over the years. A wounded shitter is gonna squel like hell.

The Dawg
12-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Not sure if wld/ferrel or what?

Feral

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Whorse2.jpg

Ferrell

http://turbo.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2009/11/Will_Ferrell.jpg

The Dawg
12-01-2012, 12:14 AM
I'll save you the gas and boot leather and sell you a couple. You can tell your buds they were wild. Be cheaper and no hassles but I hope you can plink darts better than half the stick n string hunters I've delt with over the years. A wounded shitter is gonna squel like hell.

Ambush has been known to be somewhat accurate. ;)

Ambush
12-01-2012, 12:22 AM
but I hope you can plink darts better than half the stick n string hunters I've delt with over the years. A wounded shitter is gonna squel like hell.

Sounds like half of them shouldn't be shooting bows to start with.:evil:

Too bad, gives the rest of us a lot of ground to make up with folks like you .

The Dawg
12-01-2012, 12:26 AM

Ambush is one that us new bow hunters look up to for guidance and help.

bearvalley
12-01-2012, 12:28 AM

Seen good. Seen bad. Don't feel bad. There's good and bad with rifles to.

BiG Boar
12-01-2012, 02:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72N_g-ZI4B4

boxhitch
12-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Some folks feel the feral horses don't belong , that they are competing with native wildlife for food , and should be dealt with as pests , regardless of who claims to own them .
Scavengers have to eat too.

The Dude
12-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Anyone have pics of Wild Horses?

The Dawg
12-01-2012, 07:47 AM

No. But I do have a clip of something close?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1AEDwsoCx8&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

gcreek
12-01-2012, 07:57 AM

You could pretty much road hunt the south side of the river from Chilco Ranch to Newton Rd. NCS, NBL as far as I know, just make damn sure there are no brands.

Ozone
12-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Wild Mustangs near Bighorn Canyon, Montana

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/SVTreasure/IMG_0568600x450.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/SVTreasure/IMG_0657600x450.jpg

.330 Dakota
12-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Same reasoning they use for everything. They came across the Bering strait and killed every Indian that was here, and now they want to be called First Nations,,what a joke. Thats the logic our weak kneed Govt's have been allowing for years

The Dude
12-01-2012, 08:22 AM
You could pretty much road hunt the south side of the river from Chilco Ranch to Newton Rd. NCS, NBL as far as I know, just make damn sure there are no brands.

What Camo would one use for road hunting feral horses? :D

The Dude
12-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Wild Mustangs near Bighorn Canyon, Montana

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/SVTreasure/IMG_0568600x450.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/SVTreasure/IMG_0657600x450.jpg

Cool pics, Ozone, thx for posting.

Bushy
12-01-2012, 08:42 AM

http://gallery.fishbc.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=bushman&id=horse_1

squamishhunter
12-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Alfalfa suit

Bear Chaser
12-01-2012, 08:55 AM
No. But I do have a clip of something close?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1AEDwsoCx8&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

LOL.
I was just reminded of this yesterday.

Most triumphant.

bearvalley
12-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Roll in horse shit and hide in a round bale.:)

Panic
12-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I tried horse meat once, it was made into a 'Steak and Ale' pie....I was a little drunk but remember it tasting awesome.

Rob Chipman
12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I've seen wild horses and free ranging horses in the Chilcotin. There were horses here in BC before the whiteman, btw. Simon Fraser saw Indians riding them on the Fraser south of Quesnel. They were probably Shuswap, as that's who was living there then - about 1803. Easy to imagine them making it up there considering how long horses had been around the west and how fast they spread. Not all were from Spanish horses, and certainly not from the Conquistadores (Cortes had mostly stallions). With whites coming from the east and south there were plenty of chances for horses to run off, be lost or stolen.

If you want to hunt them my advice is be careful to not shoot free ranging domestic ones (not much sport in that anyway). If they're wild they'll be hard to approach. On the other hand I've seen what I initially thought were wild horses in the middle of nowhere. I tried to sneak up on them and guess what? They ended up walking up to me and letting me pet them. No brands evident, no shoes, but I'm telling you, not wild. No ranches nearby that I could see.

The wild ones I've seen, on the other hand, saw me first and had no plan to let me get close. Harder to approach than deer or moose. These pics are from some north of Alexis Creek, and west of Alex Palmer Lake. What I guess were the stallion and some others came out as guards while the others bailed. They all saw me before I saw them.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=28830&title=wild-horse-4&cat=500

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=28829&title=wild-horse-3&cat=500

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=28827&title=wild-horse-2&cat=500

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=28826&title=wild-horse-1&cat=500

J-Man
12-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Small herd up on the powerlines above hat creek. Ranges from 4 to 16, been watching them for 10yrs, same with the prov protected area between gang and empire ranch. Very spooky, and saw the stallions tree 2 teenage hunters few yrs back. Yelled over but they said they would wait in the tree until they moved on. Only time I debated shooting one.

vortex hunter
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Legal to shoot? To capture? (That would be a rodeo and a half)
They're considered pests in some areas, and good to eat....sooooo.... ?

Your Right Horse meat is good eating.......

Sofa King
12-01-2012, 08:17 PM
anyone who would shoot a horse out in the bush just because, shouldn't call themselves a sportsman.
pretty sick i think.

BigfishCanada
12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Saw three near my cabins last week. They were all eating in a frozen marsh almost having there backs on each other. The fog was thick and I thought it was quite magical watching these 3. I love seeing all sorts of wild animals and horses are no exception. Don't shoot em, you can get them free from the spca.

ruger#1
12-01-2012, 09:19 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19990&title=picture-1141&cat=500 Some of the many freeloaders just east of Oliver. Come across alot of dead ones in the winter time.

Big Lew
12-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I earlier implied that feral and wild horses were protected in B.C. but they're not, only in the States. Apparently the B.C. Government recently hired FNs to acquire some to use as bait in a wolf program near Quesnel.

ruger#1
12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I earlier implied that feral and wild horses were protected in B.C. but they're not, only in the States. Apparently the B.C. Government recently hired FNs to acquire some to use as bait in a wolf program near Quesnel. I wish they would use PETA instead.

.330 Dakota
12-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I wish they would use PETA instead.

x2,,great idea

bearvalley
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I earlier implied that feral and wild horses were protected in B.C. but they're not, only in the States. Apparently the B.C. Government recently hired FNs to acquire some to use as bait in a wolf program near Quesnel.

A grand piece of wildlife management. Feed wolves a horse, chop their nuts out and turn them loose. Pretty fine line as to whether they were baiting with domestic animals or wildlife. I guess a wild horse that some FN member led up to the trailer to be shot and loaded smells and tastes different than one out of a pasture. Run that line of crap by an outfitter east of Quesnel that had 3 of his horses pulled down and eaten by wolves this summer and fall.
Kinda strange....first time he's lost horses to wolves. It's only been a family business for over 40 years.

The Dude
12-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, the ones around Oliver, were they up the road into Baldy? Lots of mangy horses on the Rez, so probably wandered up from there. Tons, in fact.
The ones near Hat Creek are possibly Rez horses also, there's some pretty wild looking ones around the road to Pavillion, and all over the Rez.

And for the record, I have no interest in shooting a horse. I am not that hungry, this is purely a hypothetical legality question. That is all.

(Now capturing one might be an interesting ride fro hell, lol)

lovemywinchester
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Heres a few from the Tunkwa herd. The bottom shots are when the came in to my coyote calls. They come a running when you rip out distress calls. Pretty nerve wracking when they come at you in a herd at full gallop and you're in full snow camo. They are pretty cagey and will bolt if they wind you but the big stallion will come up and snort at you. Hes a big b a s t a r d , I have some vids of him I will try to find.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/horse3-1.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/horse1-1.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/horse4-1.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/horse2-1.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/horse3-2.jpg

lovemywinchester
12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/harper-1.jpg

Ambush
12-01-2012, 10:47 PM
anyone who would shoot a horse out in the bush just because, shouldn't call themselves a sportsman.
pretty sick i think.

Wild, cagey, hard to find, good to eat, unique and they live in some beautiful country to hunt in. Why wouldn't you want to hunt them?

AH, I know; you're a "sportsman" so you drive around and shoot stupid yearling deer or bears eating along the roadways.

But, I shot a zebra to, so I guess I'm low enough to shoot anything. :mrgreen:

madrona sh
12-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I ate pony in the mountains just out of Gazab. It tasted fine.

Big Lew
12-02-2012, 12:10 AM
The stallion I pulled out of the swamp above Tunkwa Lake was at least 16+ hands high, well muscled, and very well portioned. I had a very competitive endurance horse at the time, and had I known it was a feral, rather than one from 'Farmer's Ranch,' I would have tied his head close to my truck bumper and idled him out of there, with the idea of turning him into another endurance horse. Had I known more about feral horses, I would have recognized him by his extraordinarily long tail, almost touching the ground. I probably would have needed skilled help though. (anyone that thinks putting a coat over a stallion's eyes will keep him quiet while sitting on his neck hasn't been thrown into the air like I was):biggrin: I described the animal to the foreman at 'Farmer's Ranch', and he knew of it and wished I had shot it even though he conceded that it was an excellent specimen of a horse.

Rock Doctor
12-02-2012, 07:56 AM

"Morning Wood" of course:-D

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Snapbucket/818BB0EC.jpg

RD

Tuffcity
12-02-2012, 10:41 AM
There seems to be no definitive answer to the legality of hunting them by the average citizen

Well, they're not listed as a schedule C pest or in the hunting regs with a season so that would preclude them from being hunted. Think of them as 4 legged owls for the purposes of hunting. :)

RC

ruger#1
12-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah, the ones around Oliver, were they up the road into Baldy? Lots of mangy horses on the Rez, so probably wandered up from there. Tons, in fact.
The ones near Hat Creek are possibly Rez horses also, there's some pretty wild looking ones around the road to Pavillion, and all over the Rez.

And for the record, I have no interest in shooting a horse. I am not that hungry, this is purely a hypothetical legality question. That is all.

(Now capturing one might be an interesting ride fro hell, lol) Those horeses do not look mangie. and yes on the road to baldy. I was watching them through the spotting scope and got tired of counting them.

ruger#1
12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Those horeses do not look mangie. and yes on the road to baldy. I was watching them through the spotting scope and got tired of counting them. Is that herd still up around Trouch?

Glenny
12-02-2012, 12:29 PM
On two occasions I got chased into the bush by a squealing snorting herd stud. Mean sum bitsez them and very keen to their surroundings.

wsm
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM

so what your daying is they have been there longer than u me and everyone else on this stie? why is there always a want to kill everything . why is there a need the horses? are u starving . i am a hunter and am worried about some of our species populations . but some many on this site seem to not care (give a shit) and are more worried that maybe they wont get the chance to kill something . government does not care . money is involved . anyway i saw a bunch run by while i was in the midst of having my licence checked by a CO . . we talked about horses , and the ranchers that kill them , he proceeded to tell me that killing them was against the law and if i ever see the ranchers involved to call him and he gave me his card . that was half doz years ago or so , i dont think anything has changed

ruger#1
12-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Thay are not a native species of B.C. But neither am I.

cbb
12-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Like we don't have enough problems with our public image already...

cbb
12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
how anyone would think shooting a horse is 'fun' is beyond me. personally I find it a little disturbing.

eastkoot
12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
When I worked for the Forest Service years ago we flew the Chilcotin and mapped where they were in conjuction with doing bark beetle mapping... They would move from meadow to meadow devistating every bit of vegitation. We mapped their locations and in those days old wranglers would go out and kill them as there was a bounty on them. So much for a pair of ears if I remember correctly??? Some were roped by the courageous cowboys and tied to trees and left for a week or so. They tamed down and were broken or sold...Have seen lots in the last few years in the flats of Dog Ck. but they are now considered FN's property and you wouldn't dare kill them. The damage to the open meadows was ureal, they ate everything then moved on the the next one..

OSKsniper
12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Bumped into this guy while hiking around the back side of Tunkwa Lake....
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag94/osksniper/image.jpg

Ambush
12-02-2012, 05:12 PM
how anyone would think shooting a horse is 'fun' is beyond me. personally I find it a little disturbing.

Is it "fun" to shoot wild geese, even though they have domestic counterparts. How about turkeys or hogs. There's farmed deer and elk and high fence hunts. So is it disturbing to shoot wild ones? How come you get to pick and choose what animals are OK to hunt.

Wild horses are an invasive species that destroy habitat and displace native species. I know horses have "public" appeal, but so do seals, bears and mother deer. You likely fume when some anti tries to stop you from hunting what you want.

Can it get more pure than hunting for pleasure and then enjoying the fruits of your labour on the table?

mr7mm
12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
maybe the meat might taste a little like elmers glue.. not sure and not about to find out

bearvalley
12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Bumped into this guy while hiking around the back side of Tunkwa Lake....
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag94/osksniper/image.jpg

What's a picture of a dead cow got to do with the topic of wild horses.

The Hermit
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Wonder what the butcher would say if a guy pulled up with a horse? Would make a lot os sausage and peppi! ;-)

Foxton Gundogs
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM

I have lived and worked with horses on a daily basis and shot way to mahy cuz I HAD to to ever WANT to. On the other hand we have run the wild bunch in a number of locations and taken some fine 2 yr olds that made great pack, trail and cow horses. There is a band I know of that a fellow used to go to the track and claim a TB stud every few years and turn it loose with the bunch to try to help the gene pool.

d6dan
12-02-2012, 05:47 PM
What's a picture of a dead cow got to do with the topic of wild horses.

Cloven hoof...dead give away..:wink:

The Dude
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
so what your daying is they have been there longer than u me and everyone else on this stie? why is there always a want to kill everything . why is there a need the horses? are u starving . i am a hunter and am worried about some of our species populations . but some many on this site seem to not care (give a shit) and are more worried that maybe they wont get the chance to kill something . government does not care . money is involved . anyway i saw a bunch run by while i was in the midst of having my licence checked by a CO . . we talked about horses , and the ranchers that kill them , he proceeded to tell me that killing them was against the law and if i ever see the ranchers involved to call him and he gave me his card . that was half doz years ago or so , i dont think anything has changed

If you're not gonna READ the thread, please don't REPLY to the thread.
I cleared this misconception awhile back, and good points are being made on both sides.
Also: I wanna see a law that STATES it's illegal to shoot feral horses. I don't believe one exists, and CO's have been prove nwrong many, many times.
Chill.
Peace out, Duders.

*bcgold*
12-02-2012, 08:44 PM
OPEN SEASONS >There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE - except as indicated in this Synopsis. It is unlawful to hunt at any time during the year except within the open season, or by authority of a permit issued under the Wildlife Act......page 6 Dude black & white.

bearvalley
12-02-2012, 08:57 PM
A wild horse is a wild horse. Livestock. A wild horse is not Wildlife. They're not covered under the Wildlife Act and not huntable.

Ambush
12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
OPEN SEASONS >There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE - except as indicated in this Synopsis.

I'm not sure that feral animals qualify as "wildlife". Are feral cats protected under the wildlife act?

The Dude
12-02-2012, 09:00 PM
A wild horse is Feral, and not Wildlife, not covered by the act.
They're also not Livestock, they're an invasive species in the gray area.
I'll go to the source on this one :D

Ambush
12-02-2012, 09:03 PM
A wild horse is a wild horse. Livestock. A wild horse is not Wildlife. They're not covered under the Wildlife Act and not huntable.

Maybe you can solve this. Do you know, for a fact, whether or not it is legal to shoot a feral horse on crown or private property, without a government permit?

d6dan
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure that feral animals qualify as "wildlife". Are feral cats protected under the wildlife act?

Or wild hogs?...they shoot feral hogs year round in Alberta..just sayin.

bearvalley
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Maybe you can solve this. Do you know, for a fact, whether or not it is legal to shoot a feral horse on crown or private property, without a government permit?

On private property if you have the horse owners permission, fly at it. Not legal on Crown land. Cow hunts and shitter shoots are pretty lame don't you think.

Ambush
12-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Cow hunts and shitter shoots are pretty lame don't you think.

Lot'sa folks think the same thing about branding and rodeos.

The Dude
12-02-2012, 09:20 PM
So you go out to the Chilcotin, Crown Land, and corral some unbranded feral horses, and take your pick for breaking. Someone's gonna fine you?
Again, purely hypothetical, the last thing we need are more mouths to feed.

The Dude
12-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Inquiries into two offices at MOE. Will share my answers.

bearvalley
12-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Lot'sa folks think the same thing about branding and rodeos.

True, they might bitch about a branding or rodeo but they would flat out crap at a shoot.

Ambush
12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
True, they might bitch about a branding or rodeo but they would flat out crap at a shoot.

Your right, but some of those folks have crap in their pants and their heads most of the time anyway. :-D :mrgreen:

Oh well, I already have a striped "horse" on the wall anyway.

wos
12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Let me stir the pot ;-) If a group of ferrel horses or just horses that have bean turned loose decides my private unfenced meadow is ther preferred grazing area and I don't like the mess they leave what can I do about it? The authorities have already approached me saying I cant free range my horses. I told them they art mine the gun is on the front seat of my truck you do something about it if you don't like it. Some shocked looks from the government officials. They left saying they were going to look into it. One and a half years ago and i still have horse shit everywhere.
So what is a guy supposed to do?

Ambush
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I know some farmers in the north Peace that had a bison shoot on a herd of thirteen. They were escapees from another farm. I was told that after sixty days on your property the landowner had some claim to them. Anyway it all went well, with even the bison's owner showing up for some meat.

Range laws can be weird and convoluted, some not having changed with the times.

The Dude
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
I was under the understanding that folks have been capturing and breaking them, or shooting them on sight for years.
I will let ya'll know when i get word from "The Horses Mouth", as it were. :D

bearvalley
12-02-2012, 09:59 PM
So you go out to the Chilcotin, Crown Land, and corral some unbranded feral horses, and take your pick for breaking. Someone's gonna fine you?

They used to issue permits to round up some of the Chilcotin wild horses in the past. At that time the main groups chased were scattered from Chezacut to Tatla Lake as well as the ones around the Nemiah Valley. The Chezacut/Tatla horses had a few good ones mixed in due to the odd good stud added throughout the years. For the most part the Nemiah horses were crap. Most of them were stunted little shitters with heads as long as they were tall. I was lucky enough to get in on some of this with a couple of the Chilcotins best horse chasers.
The last roundup permit issued in the Chilcotin to my knowledge was to gather a bunch of rodeo broncs and their cayuse offspring that got dumped on Crown land.
After the guns came out and the courtroom mess after it's highly unlikely MOE is going to hand out many permits.
With the price of horses where they are today it's a bunch cheaper to just go buy a good one.

Big Lew
12-02-2012, 10:07 PM
A word of caution before taking a shot at what you believe to be a 'feral horse or bovine species which includes mule, pig, sheep, or goat'....
If it can be proven that the animal you shot belongs to anyone, then you can be charged under section 444 of the Criminal Code of Canada.

"Everyone who willfully
(a) kills, maims, wounds, poisons, or injures cattle or
(b)places poison in such a position that it may easily be consumed by cattle is guilty of an indictable offense and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding
5 years.
In the criminal code, "cattle" is defined as "neat cattle or an animal of the bovine species by whatever technical or familiar name it is known, and includes any
horse, mule, pig, sheep, or goat."

bearvalley
12-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Let me stir the pot ;-) If a group of ferrel horses or just horses that have bean turned loose decides my private unfenced meadow is ther preferred grazing area and I don't like the mess they leave what can I do about it? The authorities have already approached me saying I cant free range my horses. I told them they art mine the gun is on the front seat of my truck you do something about it if you don't like it. Some shocked looks from the government officials. They left saying they were going to look into it. One and a half years ago and i still have horse shit everywhere.
So what is a guy supposed to do?

Nothing you can do if you don't have a fence. Sad fact is that its the private landowners obligation to fence out if bordered by Crown land. If two private property owners share a boundary the cost and effort of the fence is equally split. So no fence.... no bitch.

Foxton Gundogs
12-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Nothing you can do if you don't have a fence. Sad fact is that its the private landowners obligation to fence out if bordered by Crown land. If two private property owners share a boundary the cost and effort of the fence is equally split. So no fence.... no bitch.

Exactlly right you have to fence out not in, and th shoot branded stock is rustling pure and simple, unless you have a bill of sale the last owner who branded the animal is the legal owner.

Ambush
12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Wow, over a hundred posts and it has stayed amazingly civil! That doesn't happen very often on HBC.

OK guys, I'm not going to shoot a broomtail. But I did have a rather tough horse hunt this fall and I would like to exact a little revenge on the equine race. :evil:

bearvalley
12-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Wow, over a hundred posts and it has stayed amazingly civil! That doesn't happen very often on HBC.

OK guys, I'm not going to shoot a broomtail. But I did have a rather tough horse hunt this fall and I would like to exact a little revenge on the equine race. :evil:

Get an outfitter for a friend. Most of them got good broke horses.:lol:

warnniklz
12-02-2012, 10:39 PM

You think after supplying cots, wagons and horses... guides would supply a Dr. Scholls saddle eh

Ambush
12-02-2012, 10:46 PM
You think after supplying cots, wagons and horses... guides would supply a Dr. Scholls saddle eh

You forgot good food and lot's of laughs! But the "roll-overs" took their toll!

wos
12-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Ok fare enough but the people from the moe approached me saying I couldn't free range horses and were ready to lay down fines when they assumed they were my horses. Funny how there attitude changed when they had real work to do. Perhaps they just needed a day out of the office?

Seeadler
12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
If legal I'd put one in the freezer.

I have a book on butchering and it has a chapter on horses.

*bcgold*
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
So feral horses, american bull frog, what else is not protected wildlife act?Slaughter them all!! Personally, I thought it was cool we had small herds of wild horses, but now reading about them and learning what they can do in damage to habit for ranchers, mule deer, elk, maybe they need to be managed. I don't think it will be us. Some of the reading on goggle, it seems in 2007 Supreme Court of BC found that the Tsilhgot'in people the right to manage them. I'm sure Ranchers find them to be trouble they will deal with them in their own way. Theres a group called Fonv who fund a guy to over see the two herds.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2012, 06:28 PM
No rabbit eddy > lol < a rodent yuk baaaaad, lol, no way for rodents.
Grouse have a crop. so yah luv grouse. Grouse is a bird a horse is not.

Rabbits aren't rodents. They're Lagomorphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagomorpha

...and they're tastey.

SSS

wsm
12-03-2012, 06:58 PM

last time i checked , if it not in the regs that means closed to all . i looked , cant find anything about wild horses. maybe i overlooked . if so please show or shut

firstshot
03-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Documentary out on Netlfix called Unbranded gives a bit of a look into the world of wild horses. Not a bad show actually.

walks with deer
03-15-2016, 09:56 PM
Bunch of spoiled punks drinking and fighting with each other throw in a little commentary and you have no summary...

That said nice scenery.

sausage lover
03-15-2016, 11:30 PM
wife and I saw the Tunkwa heard a few years back while on foot and they spooked us a bit as they cornered us and looked right pissed we were there lol!

TPK
03-16-2016, 10:23 AM
About 5 years ago when talking with Chief Joe Alphonse, his comment was his people would rather eat moose than look at horses. The problem (I believe) was how much $$ was/is associated to the tourism around the wild herd and how "thin" could they get the herd and still maintain a tourism aspect. I got the feeling that moose habitat and forage were of a greater importance to his people than the wild horse herd. WHile not said directly, I got the feeling they weren't too interested in eating them ...

RackStar
03-16-2016, 12:20 PM
I got surrounded while hunting this year. It scared the crap out of me and they puffed their chests and started walking at me looking aggressive. There was 9 and I only had 6 bullets. Started to shit. Thankfully they left. I was not about to go out that way. Then one morning they were grazing 200 yards from my tent. I tried feeding them a carrot. Stuck up pricks wouldn't eat it.

BigfishCanada
03-16-2016, 01:15 PM
I wouldnt be shooting any unless you want a war, some of the "locals" would have some serious anger towards you if they thought you shot some.