PDA

View Full Version : A day for road kill

Buckmeister
11-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Went out early this morning while it was still dark so I could get into one of my whitetail spots before first light. On the way there I was like 3 seconds too late to watch a doe get smoked on the road. She was injured but alive, so we had to pur her out of her suffering. Then, about 1/2 km down the road we came upon another fresh doe lying dead on the road. She had already expired, but I moved her off the road for safety sake. Later in the day I see another doe dead on the side of the road about a km from the last one. Finally, on the way home tonight (after no hunting success all day), I came across the scene of a vehicle head on with a bull moose. He was about a 10x7. So, 4 kills in one day on the same road about 3 kms apart, not nice.

mark
11-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow, lots of dead critters! Pics??

Jelvis
11-30-2012, 10:26 PM
What road in what MU? Sounds kinda crazy, might have to get a hold of the Hwy Dept soon.
Tell us where and we could phone the Highways.

wicket
12-01-2012, 12:20 AM
back here in ont Im on a list from the police as a guy who will take road kills. At least it gets used if possible. Do you guys have anythhing out there like that. Its a shame to see animals that arent banged up too badly rot in a ditch. hopefully no one was hurt in any of those collisions.

sawmill
12-01-2012, 04:52 AM
Roadkills break my heart.I have been driving from Kimberley to Sparwood twice a week for 3 months and never make the trip without seeing at least 2 or 3 dead deer and elk.6 one morning.What a waste of meat.

bowhunterbruce
12-01-2012, 05:13 AM
i just recently started working on a hwys crew in northern ab, my first week on the job we had brought in over 2500 lbs of dead hwy meat and thats just from between grande prairie and the border.
as raods get cleared of snow it tends to be an easier route of travel for critters and driver refuse to slow down, i'm seeing idiots still passing traffic when the flow is already over 110 kph. like whats so important that idiots in thier jacked up f150's need to get anywhere up here that fast ,i'll never know.
its nice to see them in the ditch though when there is also a fresh dead animal around.
bhb

wicket
12-01-2012, 08:41 AM
i just recently started working on a hwys crew in northern ab, my first week on the job we had brought in over 2500 lbs of dead hwy meat and thats just from between grande prairie and the border.
as raods get cleared of snow it tends to be an easier route of travel for critters and driver refuse to slow down, i'm seeing idiots still passing traffic when the flow is already over 110 kph. like whats so important that idiots in thier jacked up f150's need to get anywhere up here that fast ,i'll never know.
its nice to see them in the ditch though when there is also a fresh dead animal around.
bhb

Im a public worker and as such spend the winters plowing in my home town. One night while plowing a 4 lane road an idiot trys passing me on the inside ....gets caught up in the snow coming off the wing looses control and crashes into my truck. when the cops go their...i radioed them...he was trying to get in my truck flipping out saying I caused it. Just kept the doors locked and smiled. If you are just starting on the roads dept you will see just all kinds of stupid stuff done by stupid people.....another time had a guy drive around a road closed sign(bazinga insuranced void) and drove into an open excavation. A trench 2 feet wide 2 feet deep had to call a wrecker to lift the front end out of the hole. Tried to blame us for not having barricades ....ummm no go ah......goood memories. Only 12 more years and I am so out of this effin province and job.

Buckmeister
12-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Someone tried contacting the local CO, but he couldn't be reached. I don't know if there is anyone around here who does road kill salvage. Three of the four kills I saw yesterday were only minutes old, lots of time to salvage the good meat. When the moose hit my Land Cruiser back in Janurary I heard that some poorer local families in the area got the meat, how exactly I did not hear. I also hit a doe along that stretch of road about 15 years ago, so I always keep my eyes open and speed down when traveling that stretch, or any road for that matter.

Buckmeister
12-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Wow, lots of dead critters! Pics??

Sorry, no pics. Didn't even think of it at the time. The force of the impact on the bull knocked both antlers off!!! It is close to shedding time for moose anyways.