PDA

View Full Version : Trapping....why?

Panic
11-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Simple enough question really, why do you trap? I understand that when the fur trade was a booming there was a huge market for huge quantities but in more modern times??

Now i'm not anti trapping, I snare and set deadfalls personally... I'm just asking for the reason that the people on here that use traps, use traps.

Actually, let me also ask....what is your view/opinions on trapping in general?

The Dude
11-30-2012, 08:14 PM
I believe it's an effective tool for Ranchers to do damage control. On several friend's ranches, i assist in setting snares for wolves and coyotes, live traps for pack rats, and underwater traps for beavers. I've got nothing against beavers, but they keep damming all the culverts, and flooding the pasture, and pregnant cows get stuck to their chins, culverts wash out, etc, so they're trapped, and the hides go to a trapper.
The wolves that can't be shot (nocturnal) are trapped and the hides given away to anyone that wants 'em. Yotes are usually the same. Packrats are given a quick double tap and burial.

KB90
11-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I'd like to get my trapping license, not to make money, but to get out in the bush through the winter, more of a hobby.

If I could make enough trapping to cover some of my expenses, it's a great way to get out there in the off season and learn the country better while having some fun.

I view fur bearers, just like any wildlife, as a renewable resource so I guess the question is, why not?

Gateholio
11-30-2012, 10:42 PM
The reason people use traps is to catch animals in them. Why else would they set traps?

Panic
11-30-2012, 11:07 PM
The reason people use traps is to catch animals in them. Why else would they set traps?

I'm looking at the reason they choose traps over using firearms.

wicket
11-30-2012, 11:53 PM
personally I trap muskrats with my buddy who runs a duck club. the reason i trap is 3 fold i guess. first off it has to be done to keep the rats in check. If not the dykes will be full of holes and needing constant repair. Secondly I get to spend time with my best friend. With the new owner bought the marsh we cant get away deer hunting in the fall cause he keeps us busy guiding. 3rd reason is I absolutely love being in the marsh in the spring. Warm days when the ice is breaking up, ducks are making their way back north....its just a great time to be out there. We trap between the 3 places 1000 to 1250 muskrats a year so trapping is really the only practical way of harvesting them. thats my story. ps with rats averaging 8 to 10 bucks the money is good too and meat is worth 3 bucks a piece so 13 bucks a rat....seriously why wouldnt you trap them if you could

Downwind
11-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm looking at the reason they choose traps over using firearms.

Because traps are more effective.

Panic
12-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, I have to say "thank you" to wicket for showing me how naive my thinking was when it comes to trapping...genuinely, I didn't even consider the thought that people trap outside of the snow locked mountains and valleys up North.
When i think of trapping I think of rugged old basterds living in the mountains running lines all winter. Wicket, you just opened my eyes a little more...cheers!

I realised it was more effective for numbers...

BiG Boar
12-01-2012, 02:31 AM
I trapped muskrats one year. Had to shoot one with a sling shot. Man those MR can get out of hand. Once I had to teach the art of KA-RA-TAE to one, right in the neck meat....

boxhitch
12-01-2012, 03:44 AM
For some, trapping is just part of an outdoor lifestyle choice, which can pay expenses and in some cases a profit. Yes, there are grizzled mountain men still out there trapping all winter, alone in the wilderness.

So let me turn this around here

Now i'm not anti trapping, I snare and set deadfalls personally..Why do you do this ?

what is your view/opinions on trapping in general? Theres usually something hidden behind a question like this

sawmill
12-01-2012, 04:45 AM
[QUOTE=Panic;1246187

Now i'm not anti trapping, I snare and set deadfalls personally... [/QUOTE]

Deadfalls?Really?
If you had a clue(sounds like you don`t)you would know that deadfalls are a B.S. Hollywood movie makers idea of how to trap.You obviously don`t know how much weight it would take to crush...oh lets say...an average house cat.Figure a 12 inch diameter green log 10 feet long,raised up 4 feet,balanced on a 3 stick trigger.Anything higher takes too long to hit the ground.Now drop that on your foot.Hurts a bit.Might kill a mouse.Piss off a housecat,never kill a fox or coyote.AND try and set a 100 pound log on a 4 foot stick trigger by yourself.Word of advice,don`t ask the wife to help.
I trapped for all my young years,back when the Hudson Bay store in smithers still had a fur buyer.Now days guys(Ihave two friends who trap)just do it to get out in the winter.They spend more than they ever make but it keeps them in the bush that they love.

hunter1947
12-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Trapping is one way to control wolfs and others that get to hi in numbers trapping is exciting to me setting out traps getting out in the wild being out there I really love..

Walksalot
12-01-2012, 07:27 AM
The trapper does his/her best to keep a healthy balance within the fur bearing species which inhabit his/her trap line. In some species there are ratios of male to female catches and these ratios dictate how aggressively the trapper peruses the particular species. Pine Martin numbers is one species which is monitored by this method. The trapper also follows the peaks and valleys of the prey animals with in his/her trap line as it is a guide line as to how aggressively the trapper might target the species which feed upon these prey animals. For instance a peak rabbit population dictates the trapper might more aggressively target the lynx species as the lynx numbers follow the rabbit populations. Logging and the insect infestation which are destroying our forests have a huge impact on the fur bearing animals. A responsible trapper carries on a responsible management strategy with in his/her trap line and is not out simply setting traps. But like any wildlife management strategy it is done by observations and best guesses.
As to why trap? If it were not for the trapper keeping the animals like Beaver under control on the water sheds you might spend more time getting informed on the going on in the world as you spend more time sitting reading the paper as you swear you are crapping your insides out.

Panic
12-01-2012, 09:01 AM
For some, trapping is just part of an outdoor lifestyle choice, which can pay expenses and in some cases a profit. Yes, there are grizzled mountain men still out there trapping all winter, alone in the wilderness.

So let me turn this around here
Why do you do this ?

Theres usually something hidden behind a question like this

FIrstly, I snare as I walk while hunting. By the time I return I quite often have a rabbit or two to take home. Deadfalls were taught during my basic training survival classes and on occassion I've used it while camping to catch a critter for dinner.

Secondly, there's no hidden agenda here, I'm just interested in seeing what people here think on trapping. Back in the UK its a very split opinion but here in Canada it was the reason the country became established...how many people have an opposition to it against how many people see it as a necessity or lifestyle/hunting choice. Nothing more than my curiosity, friend :)

Panic
12-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Deadfalls?Really?
If you had a clue(sounds like you don`t)you would know that deadfalls are a B.S. Hollywood movie makers idea of how to trap.You obviously don`t know how much weight it would take to crush...oh lets say...an average house cat.Figure a 12 inch diameter green log 10 feet long,raised up 4 feet,balanced on a 3 stick trigger.Anything higher takes too long to hit the ground.Now drop that on your foot.Hurts a bit.Might kill a mouse.Piss off a housecat,never kill a fox or coyote.AND try and set a 100 pound log on a 4 foot stick trigger by yourself.Word of advice,don`t ask the wife to help.
I trapped for all my young years,back when the Hudson Bay store in smithers still had a fur buyer.Now days guys(Ihave two friends who trap)just do it to get out in the winter.They spend more than they ever make but it keeps them in the bush that they love.

Thanks for your insight and opinion friend. Never stated I set deadfall to catch large animals, infact, no reference at all as to what I've caught. So way to go with your assumption buddy...have a clue? Lol!

Panic
12-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Another question for the trappers here, whats the ettiquette on a trapline? If you are out and discover someone elses traps along your line, what do you do?

BiG Boar
12-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Another question for the trappers here, whats the ettiquette on a trapline? If you are out and discover someone elses traps along your line, what do you do?

I'd put a tensor bandage over it.

LiquidGuides01
12-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Also on a added note, im all for trapping and want to adventually get my licence. Make sure your foot hold traps are away from public walking trails.. On the coast here one of our local trappers got 2 dogs in his leg hold and almost lost his license, one of those things that just gives a trapper a bad name.. ended up being a Huge deal! Trapping almost got banned all together

bc traper
12-01-2012, 09:22 AM

I would strongly recomend against trapping on someone elses line

Panic
12-01-2012, 09:30 AM

I'd never dream of it. Just another one of my random questions really. I'm just thinking that it probably happens occassionally and wonder how it gets resolved.

.300WSMImpact!
12-01-2012, 09:32 AM

is it illegal? what does the holder of the trap line have a right to do? is it a fine from a CO if caught? just curios I dont trap on others trap lines but am interested in trapping

Walksalot
12-01-2012, 12:09 PM
You had better be sure of the ground you are standing on when it comes to a man's/woman's trap line as some trappers believe in Mountain Justice.

boxhitch
12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
page 92 of the regs

TRAPLINE REGISTRATION USE
& RELINQUISHMENT
4It is an offence to set a trap for, hunt, kill,
take or capture a furbearing animal in any
area of the province unless you are the
registered holder of the trapline for that
area or are authorized by regulation or
permit.

boxhitch
12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
wonder how it gets resolved. maybe like any other poacher would be resolved.

Panic
12-01-2012, 01:01 PM
You had better be sure of the ground you are standing on..........some trappers believe in Mountain Justice.

To the few of you that don't speak mountain, let me translate :- Mountain justice usually ends with somebody getting hanged, torched or pitchfork'd. ;)

RiverOtter
12-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Actually, back in the day, it meant eating a bullet, as fur was big money.

hawk-i
12-01-2012, 08:50 PM
To the few of you that don't speak mountain, let me translate :- Mountain justice usually ends with somebody getting hanged, torched or pitchfork'd. ;)

Ever see the movie Deliverance....remember the quote, "I bet I can make you squeal like a pig".

RiverOtter
12-02-2012, 08:23 AM
"You gots a purty mouff boy"........:mrgreen:

decker9
12-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I trap, because i love it! it's just the way i was raised, just like huntin and fishin, its what my pa and g-pa tought me as i was growing up, so i do it, and love it! Iv been trapping my line for over 20years.(inherited it from my grandad) definetly not in it for the $$ altho, fur prices ae lookin up!! (avg over $100 on martin last winter, and $10 on rats!!)

As for someone else trappin on my line, ( :evil:!! ) its pretty easy to find a trap, if theyr there, i would just take it and leave a note to whoever it was, with my name and phone #, saying come pick up your trap(s) , if they had the balls to come get them back, i could guarentie you they wouldent trap my line again!!... now, as for someone steeling my traps, or worse yet, my fur!!...Well, ill keep that to myself...

Wild one
12-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Why do I trap?

It gets me out in the winter so I don't get fat
I enjoy trying to out smart animals I will most likely not see
I do get a few $ for my hard work

As for finding someone trapping my line I would strongly advise not doing it as it is not worth the hassle it will bring. If it is the neighbouring trapline owner it may just be a talk on where the boundaries are.

Sofa King
12-02-2012, 10:29 AM
trapping was my initiation into hunting.
before i was old enough to hunt, i would set snares on the rabbitt trails in the yukon.

why hasn't a squatch been caught in a trap?
or at least came around to see what all the squawking is when something is caught in one?
hmmmm?

Panic
12-02-2012, 10:45 AM
page 92 of the regs
TRAPLINE REGISTRATION USE
& RELINQUISHMENT
4It is an offence to set a trap for, hunt, kill,
take or capture a furbearing animal in any
area of the province unless you are the
registered holder of the trapline for that
area or are authorized by regulation or
permit.

So does that mean no snaring without a trappers licence? That kind of sucks...a lot!!

Panic
12-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Why do I trap?

It gets me out in the winter so I don't get fat
I enjoy trying to out smart animals I will most likely not see
I do get a few $ for my hard work

As for finding someone trapping my line I would strongly advise not doing it as it is not worth the hassle it will bring. If it is the neighbouring trapline owner it may just be a talk on where the boundaries are.

If it wasn't such hard work i might have considered a line but I'm known to be a lazy basterd on occassion so it wouldn't work for me. Thank you to all for sharing. :)