PDA

View Full Version : blacktail kill zones hunting poll

black tail artist
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I was just curious to see where most guys are geting there bucks and the quality of bucks. the three choices are clear cuts, timber hunting and the deer just crossed the road. as well was it a spike two point 3 point ect.

rides bike to work
11-30-2012, 05:52 PM
one two point timber

one three point timber

BlacktailStalker
11-30-2012, 06:54 PM
First buck, 4x2 pt heading up to bed in the bluffs leaving a prime slash (prime in has everything the does want which is why they were there) and from chasing these does around all night. The does were 5-700 yards away as a group and he was already almost in the timber. Its amazing how well they can almost sneek by in plain sight...

Second buck, 5x4 was bedded, alone on a mossy rock bluff in the steeps, surrounded by some big timber and thick second growth. He had a good vantage point looking down, wind at his face (normally they bed wind at their back and looking down wind I find) I came through the thick part to find him bedded this way, cost him his life.

Wife's buck, 3x3, same as above but standing, big mossy rock surrounded by big timber. Very steep spot, secluded spot.

What this means if you're looking for tips ? Mature bucks know the hidey holes, everything is often within half a km of where they hang out, thats why you don't see them, they never have to go far for anything. Often the most overlooked spots hold things you wouldn't think of finding. Over the years I have always made sure if I even remotely thought a spot MIGHT be good, check it out. For the little time it takes to do this you can either make a mental note of a good spot or write it off completely based on your findings (if you know what to look for) doing this again and again automatically narrows down the areas you end up hunting which puts you in more productive spots for more of your time = better odds. Of course timing is still everything but if you go to bat enough times, you'll hit the ball (find the buck) eventually...
As a rule mountain game is often heading up in the a.m and down in the p.ms, they tend to spook faster when you approach from above and seem to feel safer when they are looking down at you (or less in a hurry to get away) but I can say the same for the reciprocal of this too but on a whole...
The plus to hunting up is you see under the branches as opposed to looking into them from above (less visibility) and their vision is impaired from this. If you shoot something if you aren't packing out (boning out) its a hell of a lot easier to drag down hill than up ! That being said if you hunt the spots you often have to bone out you're hunting less shell shocked, pressured deer and usually bigger deer.
Hope this helps.

proguide66
11-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Big timber/cliffs straight across the board

black tail artist
11-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I love hunting everywhere and every way. shot my biggest 5 point buck to date that weighed 198lbs on a secluded river bed. But i have shot the majority of my descent bucks in clear cuts.

Sitkaspruce
11-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Didn't kill one this year, eating tag soup as I never found the guy we were chasing. Saw some spikes and 2 points, but have a moose in the freezer so no need to shoot a deer just because I could.

Cheers

SS

kennyj
12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
I hunt the slashes in the early season, the timber later in the season. Usually.
kenny

hunter1947
12-01-2012, 08:24 AM
I shot my 4x6 WT deer in a clear cut in late Sept..

ruger#1
12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I shot mine in the lungs. Went down like a rock.

black tail artist
12-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Wow i figured most hunters harvested deer in clear cuts and that would be the majority of the deer. hmmmmm.

takla1
12-01-2012, 06:37 PM
first black-tail oct 10 th bedded in a south faceing cutblock on a knoll 9am ,sunny 10 c ,6 inch long spikes with his mom and another doe\yrling shot broodside behind shoulder 300 weatherby mag.half a mile drag out on a gated forestry rd,very tastee!!{thanks ruger#1!!}Second Black-tail big bodied 4 pt jumped out of his bed first light,heading for the old growth with 4 does ,windy,2 C ,600 ft elevation ,one bullet 375 hh back of the neck,instant kill.

black tail artist
12-01-2012, 11:15 PM
looking like timber hunting guys are trophy hunters and the clear cut guys are the meat hunters. wish i had some deer meat to add to my tag soup.lol. heading out tomorrow for another attempt at a buck

black tail artist
12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Seems to me that 5 point and greater bucks are pretty equal across the board on where they are encountered. Maybe a little luck comes into play.

takla1
12-03-2012, 06:41 PM
you can be the most knowledgable B-Tail hunter around and get skunked,{i did last yr cause we had a 100 plus lbs plus wolf on our mnt}We did everything right,we hunt this mnt every yr and always connect but we werent getting anything untill late in the rut and ruger#1 finally nailed a spike in earley dec {after the wolf was taken care of!}.I always say "we just got lucky" when we get our deer but of course we know our mnt like the back of our hand and you have to put your time in in a good location and work to get them blacktails.

12-04-2012, 10:16 PM
1 two point in old clear cut, in the Xmas trees

black tail artist
12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
I find good clear cuts that have christmas trees usually have an abundant amount of food and cover which deer adore. These are excellent places to hunt when hunting clear cuts.

WCP
12-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm a big fan of timber and other spiritual areas, but if a stud is going to present himself in the open then that's his fault. :) I just love getting out there have been doing it since I can remember, have serious obsetion, addiction, and passion for these animals, and areas they call home. For me it's as good as it gets.

black tail artist
12-07-2012, 05:03 PM
last weekend for some meat or that trophy we all want hanging over the fireplace.

black tail artist
12-10-2012, 08:58 PM
thanks for all the input guys this was interesting at the least to see where blacktail deer were harvested this yr. It will make an excellent conversation piece while siting around a fire shooting the shit with the boys. i hope everyone had an excellent time out hunting this yr for blacktails regardless if you harvested a deer or not.

Rockchucker1
12-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Two bucks, nice fork and small 3 pt, both in the timber

black tail artist
12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
holly, I would have never imaged that the amount of deer taken in the timber was equal to the amount of deer taken in a cut block.