PDA

View Full Version : Nutria anyone?

Panic
11-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Looking through the hunting regs and it states we can hunt Nutria without a hunting license, and some folks have said they aren't bad eating too. So question is Do any of you hunt and eat these giant River rats or do you know of any spots they can be found in the lower mainland?

PM me with any locations if you don't mind sharing the spot occassionally :)

Panic
11-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Lol...the silence is deafening! I'll guess thats a no then. Was hoping they were around here but ah well :)

Fella
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I haven't heard of Nutria coming up this far north...

The Dude
11-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Never heard of Nutria here either. You have a source? reference?

The Dawg
11-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I dunno but If I ever saw one I'd Chootem!

Fella
11-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Noahdawg, you said it. Those things are devastating the swamps in Louisiana and they'd do the same here..

The Dude
11-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I dunno but If I ever saw one I'd Chootem!

I have beer in my nose now, thx Buddy! Hurts like hell.

Panic
11-30-2012, 09:01 PM
One source states....Nutria are still damaging 6,296 acres of wetlands in Louisiana. They have been reported in at least 40 states and three Canadian provinces adjacent to the U.S. The map on the linked webpage shows Washington and we are the adjacent province. Also saw in a few other sites that they are in Canada.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/nutria-coypu/

The Dawg
11-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I have beer in my nose now, thx Buddy! Hurts like hell.

At noon? Nice work !

The Dude
11-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Almost swim time, getting texts now.......... appointments ALL DAY!

The Dude
11-30-2012, 09:10 PM
One source states....Nutria are still damaging 6,296 acres of wetlands in Louisiana. They have been reported in at least 40 states and three Canadian provinces adjacent to the U.S. The map on the linked webpage shows Washington and we are the adjacent province. Also saw in a few other sites that they are in Canada.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/nutria-coypu/

Interesting link, but I've never heard of anyone seeing one in BC.
I'd Chootem on sight.

yukon john
11-30-2012, 09:12 PM
My hunting partner grew up trapping dewdney and he says they caught them there. I guess during WW2 they had a fur farm where they raised them and lots got loose.

35rem
11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20071028/INVASIVE02/71028012/Cook-em-up-Recipes-Nutria-Feral-Pigs?nclick_check=1

Panic
11-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Some tasty sounding recipes...now i just gotta find some

VanIsle
11-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Schedule C
Schedule "C" animals can be captured or
killed anywhere and at any time in BC.
Schedule “C” birds may be hunted using electronic
calls. You do not need a hunting licence
to hunt or kill the following Schedule “C” wildlife:
(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
(b) all species of the family Chelydridae -snapping turtles
(c) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
(d) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
(e) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
(f) Myocastor coypus - nutria
(g) all species of the genus Sciurus - grey squirrels and fox squirrels
(h) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
(i) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
(j) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

Blair
11-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Lol...the silence is deafening! I'll guess thats a no then. Was hoping they were around here but ah well :)

Don't sound so disappointed that you can't find any.

Panic
11-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Don't sound so disappointed that you can't find any.

Just a little dissapointed...I like the fact its something new i could have added to the table. Even tho I appreciate the rabbits, squirrels and wood pigeons I'm blessed to catch and eat....new meat is always an adventure in itself.

Fella
11-30-2012, 10:41 PM
You forgot to mention bullfrogs. those are some good eating!

Panic
11-30-2012, 10:57 PM
You forgot to mention bullfrogs. those are some good eating!
Would you eat the entire bullfrog? It's just the legs, right?

The Dawg
11-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Would you eat the entire bullfrog? It's just the legs, right?

And the eyeballs

BiG Boar
11-30-2012, 11:25 PM
I shot a snapping turtles once in the leg, had to kill it with a tire iron. Took like an hour.

wicket
11-30-2012, 11:35 PM
i gig bullfrogs here in ont with my best friend every year love em and its just a tonne of fun too. About every other year we trap some snapping turtles to eat too. any one wants a shell from a 20 plus lber lemme know im pretty sure i have one somewhere in my garage. I have some meat too but im not sure about shipping it west. maybe wait till dead of winter and put it on the greyhound bus for you. pay for shipping and its yours and you will be the hero of your wild game supper with your buddies, ill send you my receipe and you will be amazed how good it is.

Wild one
12-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Just a little dissapointed...I like the fact its something new i could have added to the table. Even tho I appreciate the rabbits, squirrels and wood pigeons I'm blessed to catch and eat....new meat is always an adventure in itself.

Are you eating the grey/black squirrels?

yamadirt 426
12-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I saw one today and should have shot but I didn't. I am now going to hunt these. I thought it was a beaver like the link says but has a round tail. I see them regularly but only have bird shot in the 20ga. Which would have worked today mind you. I was at 10 yds.

Panic
12-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Are you eating the grey/black squirrels?

Not since I moved to Canada but they were a regular on my table in the UK. No black ones though....we don't have them in the UK.

Panic
12-02-2012, 12:31 AM
I saw one today and should have shot but I didn't. I am now going to hunt these. I thought it was a beaver like the link says but has a round tail. I see them regularly but only have bird shot in the 20ga. Which would have worked today mind you. I was at 10 yds.

If you get one and it's good eating, throw me a pm and we can maybe get out one evening and hunt a couple together. :)

crazy ducker
12-02-2012, 08:16 AM
I wonder if a muskrat is the same thing or a pack rat

The Dude
12-02-2012, 08:51 AM
I wonder if a muskrat is the same thing or a pack rat

Huh?...... Bing is your friend. Muskrats, Packrats and Nutria are only distantly related.

iwing
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Here's a really funny video of some rednecks killing nutrias, with 22's and a big stick. Looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TU_IZzxNyQ

Wild one
12-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Are you sure it was not a muskrat?

wicket
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
dont be scared to eat muskrat, i cant imagine nutria being any different. Around here the churches and sportsmans clubs have muskrat dinners that sell out and are major fundraisers. I boil them with a beer drain well and fry in butter till brown. add a cold beer and some good friends and it makes for a good nite. I do have about 10lbs of turtle meat if any of you western guys want it.

uraarchr
12-02-2012, 07:17 PM
maybe the local chinese restaraunts know where you can find em.

Panic
12-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Nah, they use the ones they catch outside the restaurant dumpster...they don't have to spend money on guns,ammo and gas that way ;)

yamadirt 426
12-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Are you sure it was not a muskrat?

I am pretty sure looked to be in the 10lbs + range. I had a pretty good view and in talking with the farmer they have been calling them mud beavers. Because the are big, don't dam and live in the sides of the bank, in the mud.

Wild one
12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I am pretty sure looked to be in the 10lbs + range. I had a pretty good view and in talking with the farmer they have been calling them mud beavers. Because the are big, don't dam and live in the sides of the bank, in the mud.

Would like to see a pic if you see them again. I know trappers that do problem beaver through out region 2 and never hear of them seeing or catching Nutria.

I am not say you did not see one as I have found animals in places they have not been reported before. It is just more of a surprise to me where you seen one

BlacktailStalker
12-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Side hill gougers, they really so exist! A pic would be :cool:

itsy bitsy xj
12-05-2012, 02:47 PM
The storey I heard went like this:

There used to be a nutria farm in Ladner back in the 40's or 50's and they farmed them for the fur. a bunch escaped and the farm closed down. But I talked to a guy from the CO's office and he said no one has seen one in over 10 years. This could just mean no one has reported one. I know Delta has spent a LOT of $$$ dealing with beavers this year. Maybe some of the damage was nutria. I'll keep my eyes open when I'm out there.