PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Whitey buck

Stillhunting
11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=28813&cat=500

I headed up to a favourite ridge to check some trailcams and hopefully find a nice muley yesterday, but when I arrived I realized I'd forgotten my sd card viewer. My first camera only had 6 pics in the last 8 days so I took it down. My second camera is old and the display no longer functions so I couldn't tell how many pics it had, but I decided to take it down too. On the way out I bumped a small whitey buck. I was a little surprised so I decided to go check a new road not too far away and do some rattling. There were several fresh rubs on the way in which was certainly encouraging.

At the end of the road I found another nice rub so I headed uphill into the wind on a well used game trail. After a couple of hundred yards I came into a little aspen bowl at the base of a big ridge I have always been interested in hiking. It looked like a good place to set up so I sat down against a tree and ground the antlers from my avatar buck for a minute or so. Fifteen minutes later, I heard the hurried steps of a deer in the crunchy snow coming in from upwind. He snuck around me behind a ridge to come in from the downwind side. I rattled again and he popped out straight downwind. It was a tense few minutes until he finally wandered into a shooting lane. It was an easy 50 yard broadside shot with the old 308. I gave him some time to bed and found him about 60 yards downhill from where I shot him. To top it off, it was an easy downhill drag to the truck on the icy snow.

When I got home I uploaded the trailcam pics to my computer and the old one had pics of six different whitey bucks as well as a few muley bucks. It's probably a good thing I forgot my sd card viewer as there is no way I would have gone to check out a new spot knowing the amount of bucks hanging around that camera.

d6dan
11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Here's your Buck..Nice one..:-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/188.JPG

knighthunter
11-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Great pic's and story.

lovemywinchester
11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Cool. Nothing better than hearing them coming.

Stillhunting
11-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks Dan.

marcus44
11-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Nice buck, thanks for sharing

kennyj
11-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Awesome! Very cool to rattle one in.
kenny

Bigbullsh$tter
11-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Beauty buck and great story.......have yet to try rattling, must be quite an experience.

Stillhunting
11-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Rattling is definitely an exciting way to hunt whities. He is my smallest buck so far, but it was easily my most thrilling hunt. It was nice to be able to use the crunchy snow to my advantage as well.