PDA

View Full Version : Deer behaviour during the rut

tenrag
11-28-2012, 04:17 PM
This is only my fourth year hunting and I would like some comments for all you experienced hunters pertaining to whitetail behaviour during the rut. I live in region 4 (Invermere) and the whitetail rut is in full swing.

Last weekend I hunted on Saturday and Sunday in the exact same area and the amount of deer/activity I saw each day was very different. The temp both days was about the same -2 at first light and both mornings had fresh snow. Saturday afternoon had a couple sunny breaks and the temp rose to +2 after lunch. Sunday it remained -2 all day and was cloudy all day. On Saturday I saw about 5 other trucks in the area and on Sunday I saw 3 other trucks. The amount of deer and sign I saw on Saturday was noticeably different than the deer/sign I saw on Sunday.

Comment #1: If the weather both days was almost the same why would I see more deer and fresh activity one day compared to the next?

I would like comments on the following doe behaviour during the rut.

Comment #2: I have noticed that a doe with a buck nearby will not run immediately as soon as they spot you. Maybe they feel secure with the buck close by?? On the other hand I have noticed does with no buck seem to be on edge and run for timber.

Your comments are appreciated.

Bigbullsh$tter
11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry i don't have any answers on your two questions, but i do think i can give you some of my experience when it comes to whitetail rutting behaviours.

1. From what i've seen, the bucks start showing their rutting behaviours around Remembrance Day. At that time they seem to be very patterned. They spend much of their day/night visiting areas where they've left scrapes/rubs. During this time i scout whitetail areas hard looking for any of these signs, once i find them, i look for a good tree stand/blind location. I then spend morning and evenings sitting in the stand/blind waiting for a buck to come visit their scrape.

2. At around Nov.15-17th, the does are coming into full estrous so the bucks give up on their structured patterns and spend all their time tailing does. At this time i try putting myself in areas i know does frequent for feeding. During this time, if you find does, there is a good chance you'll find a buck on her tail.....or maybe minutes behind.

These tactics have worked for me, but that doesn't mean they'll work for everyone. Good luck in your pursuit.

BBS

tenrag
11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks BBS. I have had success the last 2 of 4 seasons and I'm hoping I can make it 3 for 4 on Friday. Nothing like cutting it down to the wire. I have seen a couple big 4 points but have never been able to get a good shot off.

G

butthead
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
old and dump
and full of cum

Sofa King
11-28-2012, 09:01 PM
tenrag, it's possible they just weren't right in that area the one day, but wandered through the next.