PDA

View Full Version : Duck calling

limit time
11-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm still a noob to this waterfowl thing so bare with me.
When I'm out in the field and I have some decoys out ( I only have mallards), I use a mallard hen call and use this call for every duck I see.
Now the question I have is...should I be using other calls to improve my success?
If yes, when is the time to use them?
thanks.

cavebear
11-27-2012, 10:26 PM
find out what ducks are in your area. Teals widgeons and pintails can all be called with a high roller call.

Goodluck, and happy hunting

f350ps
11-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Stick with the mallard call and get good at it, no need to change up to different species. K

lorneparker1
11-27-2012, 10:35 PM
find out what ducks are in your area. Teals widgeons and pintails can all be called with a high roller call.

Is that the name of a duck call? or a duck sound?

pnbrock
11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
its an american term for a duck calling style.

f350ps
11-27-2012, 10:40 PM

It's a Primos call. K

pnbrock
11-27-2012, 10:48 PM
haha i was way off ,confused it with a hail call.googled it never seen this in stores.

cavebear
11-27-2012, 10:51 PM

Name of the call it is green looks like a whistle.

limit time
11-28-2012, 07:13 AM

lots of teal, widgeon and mallards. I now the call you refer to, it's a clearish green call.
Should I use the mallard call when they are far away. and when I can identify the bird use the appropriate one?

BiG Boar
11-28-2012, 08:31 AM
A lot of people don't call waterfowl in the correct way. It is an accepted hunting misconception to think you blow into a mallard hen call. While in fact they were originally designed as a draw call. Turn the call around in your hand, and draw air in through the call. The word you want to try to say is "woooozle!' Try to really finess it and do a J motion with your head to really project the sound up and around. One thing is certain, you WILL have more birds setting to your decoys, and committing all the way, if you really learn it well. It may take some practice, but will some time spent you'll be sucking those birds right into your blind.

lorneparker1
11-28-2012, 09:00 AM
A lot of people don't call waterfowl in the correct way. It is an accepted hunting misconception to think you blow into a mallard hen call. While in fact they were originally designed as a draw call. Turn the call around in your hand, and draw air in through the call. The word you want to try to say is "woooozle!' Try to really finess it and do a J motion with your head to really project the sound up and around. One thing is certain, you WILL have more birds setting to your decoys, and committing all the way, if you really learn it well. It may take some practice, but will some time spent you'll be sucking those birds right into your blind.

Agreed, an ole timer that used to market hunt showed me this ages ago. The key is the J motion. Because of the air going in instead of out, the air doesnt deflect off your hand like it does when blowing out. But thats the great thing, because even though there is a bit of head movement there is ZERO hand movement.
and we all know the call sounds way different if you are wearing gloves for concealment. Bouncing hens, high balls, are no problem once you get the hang of it, and you can guarentee a "loose bottom" in short order.

Ian F.
11-28-2012, 11:16 AM
BB - you're not going to get many more invites if you keep giving all the secrets away!

limit time
11-28-2012, 12:42 PM

say what now?!? You suck instead of blow? Is this a trick you tell noobs so we look like chumps in the field?

Foxton Gundogs
11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
say what now?!? You suck instead of blow? Is this a trick you tell noobs so we look like chumps in the field?

I could but I wont:twisted:
you just left yourself way to wide open :mrgreen:

limit time
11-28-2012, 02:09 PM
:mrgreen:[QUOTE=Foxton Gundogs;1244766]I could but I wont:twisted:
you just left yourself way to wide open :mrgreen:[/

Ha Ha thanks!

PS= get your mind out of the gutter!

BiG Boar
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm going to make up a video tutorial of the woooozle J call. I'd appreciate any insight from the old timers on here of how to improve it.

Freshtracks
11-30-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm going to make up a video tutorial of the woooozle J call. I'd appreciate any insight from the old timers on here of how to improve it.

Good to see, now that BB is a Great Waterfowler :-? ... that he's passing on all his good advise he's gathered over the years to newcomers asking simple questions. Guess it's kinda like the same replies he would have looked for when he joined HBC. :oops:

Kudu
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Get some heffalumps to trumpet in the background - maybe?

303Brit
11-30-2012, 09:12 PM

You should come up with a more catchy name, something simple yet effective like the "suck call"