PDA

View Full Version : Hunting without Robos'

lorneparker1
11-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Remember those days? I am thinking of turning the clock back a bit. I bet alot of hunters would be alot less successful if they had to really "hunt" there birds. Dont get me wrong we run 3 evertime we are out. And when the field is full we are usually done as fast as we want to be.

2 hunts ago, both the robos we were hunting over died during the hunt. And all of sudden, we had to really work for the birds. It took proper calling, no face showing, and a great hide to finish the deal ( we actually had to re-stubble the blinds) And this was ina traffic field next to over 2000 ducks. Although i love robo's there seems to bea growing trend of people that cant call, dont understand decoy placement, have no clue how to hide, and will never get better because robo's bail them out. Thoughts?

Would you still kill as many if you didnt have robotica?

Lorne

bruin
11-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Interesting, I hope this wont create the divisions felt between rifle and bow or compound and traditional etc.
i know theyve made me much more successful and lazier for sure. We hunt night flight so decoys in fields are quite non-visible.

Sako 75
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Hey Lorne, sometimes I find robo less duck works better. It depends on hunting situation, if the ducks seen lots robo ducks they become more decoy shy and I find toward the end season less decoy plus minus robo duck work the best for me.

Try using dirty dozen snow honkers (geese) those ducks can spot your decoy spread a mile away......hint.

yamadirt 426
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
You mean I'd actually have to hide. With ten minutes left on a fowl weather day I stand right beside my robo. Feels like star wars.

f350ps
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Very good question! Last Friday afternoon the wind kicked up so at about 3PM I headed across the road from work and set up. I had 3 dozen mallard shells and a Mojo
out but it took me about 30 mins to kill the first mallard, and there was 100's of birds on the move. I noticed that they were all flaring at about 30 yds from the decoys which kinda puzzled me as I was dug in very good, they weren't seeing me for sure. I pulled the Mojo 10 mins after the first bird and proceeded to finish the last 7 mallards in 25 or 30 mins. These birds knew the program! Seems every year these birds get a little wiser as the season progresses. K

pnbrock
11-27-2012, 08:58 PM
both my mojos are on remote somedays i need to shut off right after the ducks give first look at my spread or big flare.

Ian F.
11-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Ahhhhhh sounds like a carving forum now!

Foxton Gundogs
11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
both my mojos are on remote somedays i need to shut off right after the ducks give first look at my spread or big flare.

That is a fact sometime they will flare ducks no question in my mind, not always but as the season wears on ducks start to figure those ducks that hover forever and never land are bad medicine. I have actually shut them down and left them sit with the color side of the wings in a glise position and bingo the fortunes turn around and the ducks start coming in who can figure the willey duck:confused:

open-sights
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
got my limit Monday with 2 dozen Deeks only, no mojo's clear skies made for a tough go but managed tro limit

behemoth
11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
It's like every type of hunting. When you get good at it, you start making it more challenging by doing things like only targeting 4 points, or in this case taking away the robo duck.
I personally do well and have never used a roboduck. To me it seems like a useless piece of equipment except to help newbies get into the sport.

f350ps
11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
It's like every type of hunting. When you get good at it, you start making it more challenging by doing things like only targeting 4 points, or in this case taking away the robo duck.
I personally do well and have never used a roboduck. To me it seems like a useless piece of equipment except to help newbies get into the sport.
Hmm, interesting point of view, I can't wait till I get good at it like you and not have to use one, maybe I can give up my call too? K

sparkes3
11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
i have never used one ,but that is about to change i just got a float and fly combo soon gonna head out to try it.

BiG Boar
11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Hmm, interesting point of view, I can't wait till I get good at it like you and not have to use one, maybe I can give up my call too? K

Dont be such a loser. If you're going to be a REAL duck hunter, pick up a bow. Guns are for people with tiny junk. Obviously a serious hunter would never use a gun.

I don't even use a decoy unless I've carved it. And I don't even use a knife to carve the decoy!

I also don't use a blind. Of any kind. I have tattooed myself with bamboo tattooing. To a grass pattern.

Anyone who would use any of the above is just an amateur newbie. Obviously.

Btw my wang is so big, it has its own wang, and even that wang is bigger than your wang!

pnbrock
11-29-2012, 05:54 PM
i can no longer associate with a a double wang man.freak!!!!!

BiG Boar
11-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Sorry Pat. The wang comment was just me being honest.

My wang is so big it has an agent. My wang's people will call your people. Let's have lunch with my wang.

Kudu
11-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Dont be such a loser. If you're going to be a REAL duck hunter, pick up a bow. Guns are for people with tiny junk. Obviously a serious hunter would never use a gun.

I don't even use a decoy unless I've carved it. And I don't even use a knife to carve the decoy!

I also don't use a blind. Of any kind. I have tattooed myself with bamboo tattooing. To a grass pattern.

Btw my wang is so big, it has its own wang, and even that wang is bigger than your wang!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/znoids/000202BD.gif

shadow1982
11-30-2012, 03:30 PM
You mean I'd actually have to hide. With ten minutes left on a fowl weather day I stand right beside my robo. Feels like star wars.

I have actually done this many times... lol and they keep coming and coming... one time around i am walking with robo on my shoulder, a malard flew right at me..

but yeah it would be harder but then again if you can learn how to do basic quack you should be able to bring some ducks in...

behemoth
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Wow you guys are really sensitive. Sorry to hurt your feelings

I think the OP was asking whether people are relying less on skill and more on the roboducks?

I think they are. Thats my opinion. If you disagree that's totally fine, that's why this is a discussion forum.

Duck calling is an art form that takes people years of practice to get right.(Although you can limit out without one. Pass shooting has been around as long as man could hurl rocks)

It's not the same thing as plugging in an electrical device and loading up. Which I have no issue with, different strokes, different folks

303Brit
11-30-2012, 09:08 PM
I killed ducks before robo, granted my hunts were longer. I am only a medicore caller as the OP knows. But I have an automatic call ;) I spot Lorne calls :tongue:. But I reckon mid season bird hunting on a moderately pressured area, it would be a fair amount of work to hunt without a robes as you found out. I think early season or late season it may not be as difficult as birds are either stupid, or over robo'd if you will.

pappy
11-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm new to fowl hunting. I have thought about buying one but I'm not into the sport as much as many of you guys. I'm not good at calling but it has worked for me. I got ducks last year and this year while pass shooting, jump shooting and using 6 cheap flamboue (spelling) decoys. I don't think I'll buy a robo anytime soon, I can't justify spending that much on one decoy when I don't always set them up. I started fowl hunting because I have a lab and I love hunting in general. The ducks taste good and my dog loves doing what she was born and bred to do.

FirePower
11-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow you guys are really sensitive. Sorry to hurt your feelings

I think the OP was asking whether people are relying less on skill and more on the roboducks?

I think they are. Thats my opinion. If you disagree that's totally fine, that's why this is a discussion forum.

Duck calling is an art form that takes people years of practice to get right.(Although you can limit out without one. Pass shooting has been around as long as man could hurl rocks)

It's not the same thing as plugging in an electrical device and loading up. Which I have no issue with, different strokes, different folks

Then lad they are relying on hype, not being able to read birds and hype simply does not get the job done. The real skill is knowing when they are working and when they are not

MFERGIE
11-30-2012, 11:13 PM
For the past ten years I have almost solely used nothing more than my Primos Phat Lady call and a handful of deeks if the occasion calls for it. I love pass shooting, getting to know where the birds move day and night, reading the tide charts, hunkering down in a hole and seeing what I can call my way. I have amazing days and I have crap days but what I do know is Robos work and they work even better if you can do a half ass call and have a small spread of shells or floaters in the mix too...especially if you know how to setup a good spread with a good landing pocket. Robo is on my Xmas wish list!

longshot
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
We probably hunt 50% of the time without them, depending on the weather and location. Some days you mind as well stand in the middle of the field wearing blaze orange if using one... other days they will land right beside the green pole that holds the thing up....... those there have made for some "interesting shots", haha

303Brit
12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
That's usually the last thing I brief to the new people. Don't be surprised if birds almost land on top of Robotica and if they are attempting it DON'T shoot the robo!!!
lol

kyleklassen
01-04-2017, 08:17 PM
bump......

Dutch
01-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Missed this one so thanks for the bump three hunts this year with no robos ,2 limits one with a 7 ,yes more work more dekes but more satisfaction maybe too, shot a lot of ducks pre robo so was nice to switch back.Last night ,had a robo on after 2 flocks flared turned it off and used my old duck commander drake call ,was the charm...

Sasquatch
01-14-2017, 11:36 PM
I've gone out with just a robo and done well early season. Late season I think it's almost better to leave the robo at home.

I see they have ones now that work their way up and down a pole as they flap.....almost like a peeler.
May have to get me one of those.

The Hermit
01-15-2017, 02:37 AM

LOL. I miss Big Bore! :-(

North_Coast
01-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Very interesting, just started duck hunting this year. I do not have any decoys, and a only have a handful of calls. What a rush to see a flock of mallards turn in the air to your call, especially for the first time after practicing in the garage and drivin your wife crazy on road trips haha. Also used 2 boxes of shells, killing 6 ducks but hey that's what practice is for hahaha.

Dutch
01-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Don't sweat it NC anybody on this forum who says he's never had one of those days should run for public office"heh heh"

bogman
03-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Missed this one so thanks for the bump three hunts this year with no robos ,2 limits one with a 7 ,yes more work more dekes but more satisfaction maybe too, shot a lot of ducks pre robo so was nice to switch back.Last night ,had a robo on after 2 flocks flared turned it off and used my old duck commander drake call ,was the charm...
Definitely satisfying to shoot over dekes and just using your call but I can still see the shit eating grin on Dutch's face the first time we turned ROBO on in the Bog:smile:

WaterFowlin
03-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Some times they help. Others not. However, my experience has always shown proper decoy placement and concealment is most important. No matter how many mojos. We need to be setup properly.

Well sorry MOST important is being where the birds want to be. Proper scouting trumps all. Then concealment, then decoy setup.