PDA

View Full Version : Question re: late August Moose hunt

sapper
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
After a fun but unsuccessful moose hunt this year and not getting to cut our LEH bull tags I'm thinking about an August hunt. August because I teach and there are few opportunities for more than 3 days at at time of hunting in the fall. Anyone have any advice on late August hunts? I realize that getting meat to the butcher/cooler ASAP and bugs can be a problem but are there other issues I should be aware of?

moosinaround
11-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Yup, the cluster F$%ck of other moose hunters out there with you!!! Head really far into the wilds if you want some alone time hunting moose in Aug!! Anywhere with road or quad access is a gong show, and I am not even exaggerating!!!! Moosin

sapper
11-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks, Moosinaround. So blaze orange is a must. :-)

BearStump
11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
I realize that getting meat to the butcher/cooler ASAP and bugs can be a problem but are there other issues I should be aware of?

Sweaty nut sacs!!! bring your goldbond powder to prevent chafing.

hunter1947
11-28-2012, 03:45 AM
I have done a few Aug 15th hunts in the past years for moose ,,what you can do is take your moose to the wildlife branch and get the animal inspected from a CO then after this your good to cut up your meat at camp ,,take a freezer and generator with you can cut up the animal and wrap it in at your hunting camp ,,,, or take the animal to the closes meat locker to hang or get it butcherd up ???? this is one way on beating the hot temp at this time of the year but it will be costly hanging the animal in a meat cooler..

sapper
11-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Hunter1947. Umh, I guess thanks too to bearstump. ;-)

high and to the right
11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
I have done a few Aug 15th hunts in the past years for moose ,,what you can do is take your moose to the wildlife branch and get the animal inspected from a CO then after this your good to cut up your meat at camp ,,take a freezer and generator with you can cut up the animal and wrap it in at your hunting camp ,,,, or take the animal to the closes meat locker to hang or get it butcherd up ???? this is one way on beating the hot temp at this time of the year but it will be costly hanging the animal in a meat cooler..

I never heard of that. That is fantastic if you can get your moose inspected and then take it back into the bush and cut it up and freeze it. I just put the de-boned quarters into a freezer and keep them cool and bug free. They often are frozen by the time I get them home so it's a bit more work thawing them and cutting them when they are still half frozen. It would great to arrive home with all the meat already in packages. If you have high heat and some wind that is not bad as it will help to skin over the meat very fast and then it usually lasts for a few days until you get the rest of your animals. You do lose quite a bit of meat as you need to cut off all the dry crust but the inside meat is very tender. Now - being a bit older and not so prone to hike back several days into the mountains and carry my meat out, I prefer to let my quad take the meat to my trailer and let the freezer become my hanging pole.

ianwuzhere
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
lots of meat is spoiled in hot temps if not cared for- also watch out for the flys- they can lay eggs real quick.
highly recommend a freezer as previously said.