PDA

View Full Version : Going on my first hunt this weekend! Need some advice

Fella
11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Hey guys, I just got my hunter number last week, and this weekend I'm going on my first ever hunt! I'm going with an uncle and we're going to hit either 3-12 or 3-26. Would it be worth it to buy a wt tag and mulie tag? Anyone have any tips for those areas?

bowhunterbruce
11-26-2012, 04:50 PM
personally i load up on every tag that has an open season, that way no matter whats legal ,i have a tag for it.
bhb

11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Take one tag for everything you can kill!
because that one tag you didnt buy will be the only animal you see!

Seriously, the cost of the tag for your first trip..... I may be wrong here but all you really need is a Mule and Whitetail....

Steelpulse
11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
personally i load up on every tag that has an open season, that way no matter whats legal ,i have a tag for it.
bhb

agreed buy a tag for every animal that is open
the animals you see are always the ones you don't have a tag for, buy both deer tags if you just want a buck though

tomahawk
11-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I agree somewhat with the buy both tags but it depends on where your hunting, your uncle should know the area and be able to advise you of what animals are in that area. Lots of places only hold say a mulie population and not whitey's. Area's I hunt around the loops dont have whitey's in them at all. I would talk to him and get the goods first.

hunter1947
11-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Get the tags you never know what you will see ,listen to what your uncle has to say he is the teacher..

Fella
11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Hunter: I don't think I could have picked a better teacher. 50+ years of hunting all over BC and the Yukon. He's got some incredible trophies on the wall, and he was so excited to take me out and pass on some of his knowledge.

hunter1947
11-29-2012, 02:50 AM
It sounds like you will have all the advice you need from your uncle..

Stillhunting
11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I would get both tags as the whities seem to be getting thicker every year in previous muley areas. I rattled in a 5X4 whitey yesterday when I went looking for a muley. I changed tactics after I saw a smaller whitey buck on my way out from getting my trail cams and it paid off.

BlacktailStalker
11-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Sounds like you have had a good mentor and more importantly you'll be put in the right areas, that's 75% of the battle. Have a good first hunt and be sure to post up a story with some pics !