PDA

View Full Version : Are there any deer in Chilliwack!

shamrock09
11-26-2012, 07:13 AM
I have been out for the last three weekends hunting hard in the Chilliwack area. Thurston, Chipmunk, Foley, there is not a road up there that I haven't been on or trail I haven't hiked with only a couple tracks to go on! I hunt up in the Interior all the time and if I put in 10 hour days on the quad up there I can barely keep track of all the wildlife I see up there, muley's, whities, moose, bear, the list goes on. I know deer are up there but I haven't come across an yet. I am thinking of checking out Harrison to see if my luck chages out there. Very frustrating! But I guess that's hunting and I did get into some beautiful country which made all that time I spent up there worthwhile.

yukon john
11-26-2012, 07:29 AM
I would think that there would be less deer per sq mile around there then the interior. Personally I have found that hunting between Abby and Boston Bar you need to hunt slower. Find some old growth with some sign and still hunt a stretch of timber. Hunting sign is definatly key. Some good stuff on the trophy blacktail thread that would apply.

BiG Boar
11-26-2012, 07:53 AM
You will definitely see more hunters than deer.

tackdriver
11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Theres plenty of deer in the chilliwack area, dont be scared to get even further from civilization and hike the timber, make sure its nice fir timber they seem to love it, always see less deer in the stands that are mostly hemlock if at all, just my expierience. remember you are hunting blacktail its alot different than being up country with the mulies and such.the slower you still hunt the better, and dont look for deer look for pieces of deer i.e. ears,ass ect if it looks out of place have a good look at it. hope it helps and good luck!

digger dogger
11-26-2012, 07:16 PM
the slower you still hunt the better, and dont look for deer look for pieces of deer i.e. ears,ass ect if it looks out of place have a good look at it. hope it helps and good luck!

That right there is great advice!! :-)

xtremearchery
11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
the slower you still hunt the better, and dont look for deer look for pieces of deer i.e. ears,ass ect if it looks out of place have a good look at it. hope it helps and good luck!

That right there is great advice!! :-)

X3! Thats the best way. Also add some rain to that aswell. I dont know why, but those BT's love moving in the rain. The uglier the weather, the better BT hunting can be. Also remember, BT's are likely the most difficult to harvest out out of the big 3. Meaning mule, wt and bt. Hope the advise works...

tackdriver
11-27-2012, 10:56 AM
X3! Thats the best way. Also add some rain to that aswell. I dont know why, but those BT's love moving in the rain. The uglier the weather, the better BT hunting can be. Also remember, BT's are likely the most difficult to harvest out out of the big 3. Meaning mule, wt and bt. Hope the advise works...
Absolutely forgot that part the worse the weather the better, rain and wind are ideal.

brian
11-27-2012, 11:19 AM
From the sign I have seen they are still up high, 1100 or 1200 meters is where I have seen the most activity so far. From what I've seen in the 'wack you'll see little to nothing until you get right into their home. Then it will be sign bonanza.

~T-BONE~
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
All great advice above! The deer are there u just gotta work hard at it.. The deer hang up in that big timber as it provides protection from accumulating snow.. There could be 3 ft in the open and only a couple inches under the big timber.. That's where they'll b! I've shoot and seen numerous deer in every spot u talk about.. Don't give up! Once u figure those spots out there's no reason y u can't take a deer out those areas every year

russm
11-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I've Only ever seen 2 does up there and they were on chilliwack lake road almost at the lake and a grouse up chipmunk, and I forgot a bear that we saw on our way fishing one time, definetly do better on the fishing side of things up that way.

Dour
11-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I've seen lots of deer up tamihi I use to site my guns up there in the clear cut seems like one out of two time we seen deer all I can say is be there before any other hunter park on main raid and walk up skidder roads that go into clear cuts and yes always seen them when it was Shity out side and watch tree lines they will be ten feet in looking at you laughing as you walk by them

tackdriver
11-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I've seen lots of deer up tamihi I use to site my guns up there in the clear cut seems like one out of two time we seen deer all I can say is be there before any other hunter park on main raid and walk up skidder roads that go into clear cuts and yes always seen them when it was Shity out side and watch tree lines they will be ten feet in looking at you laughing as you walk by them
More sound advice... often wondered how many deer a fella walks by in a day.

IHUNTBC
11-27-2012, 09:51 PM
I will PM you

IHUNTBC
11-27-2012, 09:52 PM
The "watch tree lines they will be ten feet in looking at you laughing as you walk by them" is so very very true, I have got many bucks just sitting and watching just inside a cut of trees about 10 to 20 feet..........

rides bike to work
11-27-2012, 11:10 PM
unfortunately i have tagged out allready so i am hunting with the trail cam from now out.All in the chilliwack valley earlier in the season i got a picture of a large three point than today while checking the cam i had a different three point walk up 20 ft from me .i was going to bring my dad with me but he didnt answer the phone he could have shot a nice buck.I knew this would happen since i was tagged out.

crazybushcreature
11-27-2012, 11:19 PM
This season i have hunted all over up chilliwack lake road, bench road,ford mtn. and i have not even seen a single deer. Ive seen a couple tracks and 2 rubs and a bunch of grouse.and one black bear. im gonna try and get out again this weekend. im really hoping i can find something.

itsy bitsy xj
11-28-2012, 12:55 AM
unfortunately i have tagged out allready so i am hunting with the trail cam from now out.All in the chilliwack valley earlier in the season i got a picture of a large three point than today while checking the cam i had a different three point walk up 20 ft from me .i was going to bring my dad with me but he didnt answer the phone he could have shot a nice buck.I knew this would happen since i was tagged out.

I have some unused tags if you need some one to come along with you to shoot something lol

ItsGrouseTalk
11-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Fresh logging up Vedder Mountain, we almost hit them coming down the trails! You will need a decent size truck or a good jeep to get up there as their are at least 20 cross-ditches. Also try Mt. laughington which is just North of Foley (Across the tiny valley) and if you continue up Chilliwack Lake Rd there is an FSR to the right just before Slesse Creek, lots of cuts up there.

takla1
11-30-2012, 11:30 AM
I would add that you have to put in your time "every yr" on that same mnt side.once youve got sign,doe's,rubs,scat, you know your in the right local.then hit it as much as possible from nov7th thru to months end{prime rut}.Another point to be made is a lot a guys connect during rainy windy days,theres a reason for that....those nights before are dark when theres lots of cloud cover and the deer dont see as well to feed,they have to come out into the cut blocks or openings to chow,especially after a few days of continuous rain,be there before first light and you may catch them heading back into the timber early..I hunt the other side of the valley from chilliwack but there are blacktail all over these mnts.the snow will bring them down to you as the month progress's if not you have to go to them{get the climbing boots on!

elkhunter2
12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?72849-Chilliwack-Valley-still-has-some-nice-Blacktails&highlight=blacktail
Hopefully this helps you out.

6pt_elk_wannabe
04-28-2013, 12:16 AM
I've seen lots of does and fawns in Harrison AND chilliwack, managed to get a 4x4 blacktail right on the main road November 17 2012 aha, beginners luck