PDA

View Full Version : Rattled in a whitey!

lovemywinchester
11-25-2012, 08:52 PM
The 2012 season is over for me now after rattling in a nice whitetail yesterday afternoon. I cut my third tag and what a blast it was getting this guy. Took him down with my old 32 special Winchester of course.

Three of us headed to region 8 for a few days to see if we could harvest some out of region whitetail bucks. Turns out we were going in blind as we thought we had an opportunity to hunt some private land but that didn't pan out so we were on our own. The confidence was still high, with the rut on we figured the bucks would come in to some rattling and grunting no matter where we were.

Friday was a scouting day and while driving we saw one nice buck on some does but he took off quickly. Saturday was slow with only one WT doe spotted but she was huge. We had an area in mind for last stand of the day where we saw the big doe head into some thick bush on a steep hillside. If there are does there should be bucks close by.

I set up near the bottom just inside the treeline around 3 pm while my buddies went up higher on the ridge. I found a nice area where I could see a good chunk of forest ahead of me and had some thick crap behind me. I had a big tree at my back with the breeze in my face. I got set up in a comfortable spot and didn't waste any time starting with the rattles. I had a set of mule sheds that were pretty thick and dark brown. I would grind and rattle them together for a minute or so and wait for a bit. It was getting near the end and light was fading when I heard a big crack and crash in the bush behind me. I was so stoked as I knew it was a buck coming in. I grabbed the rifle and looked around the side of the tree and heard another crash and snapping bush. It was so exciting and I started to doubt it was a deer because of how loud it was. I said to myself maybe its a bear! I couldn't see anything with the low light and thick bush but whatever it was was coming through and he was heading my way and in a hurry.

I finally saw him when he jumped a log and I had a good look at his right antler as he moved behind a bush and stopped about 30 yds from me. My heart was racing and my stomach was knotted with excitment and surprisingly stress. I got a good look at the four tines on his right and he looked huge and tall. Having a sweet buck so close I didn't want to screw it up. He was behind the brush and was looking for the fighting bucks but he wasn't moving. I reached behind me and lightly rattled the antlers and he stepped out and I put the sights on his neck and fired. He dropped in his tracks and I had my buck. I was so pumped and went over ready to hit him again if he took off but he was down. I let out a whoooo-hoo! and waited for my buddies to get down to check it out. High fives all around and a few shots and we dragged him to the truck. We took him out to an open area to get the headlights on him as it was pitch black by then and did the dirty work.

It was a great way to end the season and it was fun to get another nice buck with my buddy Paul after getting his wt last week. No buck for my other buddy Al but he has no problem filling his tags in 3. I had a blast this fall and spent a lot of time hunting with friends as well as alone and saw a bunch of deer taken and have had lots of great meals of venison and grouse. Spending time outside in beautiful BC in the fall is a blessing and we are so lucky to have what we do so get out and enjoy it! I am looking forward already to next September to do it all over again! Just with bigger deer because next year I'm holding out for a cranker!:roll:

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/cherrywt.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/cherryWT3.jpg

Bc Deer Hunter
11-25-2012, 08:55 PM
That is a really nice buck!! Way to go rattleing him in!

Brambles
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
real nice buck, to boot with an old school open sight lever, nice work.

kennyg826
11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Congrats on an awesome season! Nice finish!

Sofa King
11-25-2012, 09:07 PM
wha..wha...whaaaaat?
no scope and no magnum?
and he still went down?
musta been a heart attack.

pretty sweet you rattled him in.

krazy
11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
What a beauty! Congrats!

fishingguy44
11-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Im heading there tomorrow for mulies, maybe I should pic up a WT tag just in case. Nice buck

Everett
11-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Open sights that big time old school and smoking buck as well.

lovemywinchester
11-25-2012, 09:18 PM
wha..wha...whaaaaat?
no scope and no magnum?
and he still went down?
musta been a heart attack.

pretty sweet you rattled him in.

That is so funny. We couldn't find the bullet hole at all at first. Not there. We were joking that he dropped dead from a jammer because he was so close.

Gilmore
11-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice work man!!!

BlacktailStalker
11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Thats pretty cool to rattle something in, I have never had any luck. Nicely done with the lever action too, that is one to be proud of :cool:

coach
11-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Awesome buck, LMW! Congratulations. BTW - OldnGrey called in a monster today. 8x8, 35" outside spread.. and let him walk. Next year you need to pm me!

Rattler
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Great buck congrats. Open sights and a neck shot to boot...well done!

shed-hunter1
11-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Awsome man shed season will be here soon we will hit the hils

lovemywinchester
11-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Awesome buck, LMW! Congratulations. BTW - OldnGrey called in a monster today. 8x8, 35" outside spread.. and let him walk. Next year you need to pm me!

Will do Coach. I have the whitey fever. We were choked our private land fell through but it worked out in the end.
Rattling in 8x8 tanks near your place and letting them walk? Wow! I mean WHY? More self control than me!!!

coach
11-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Will do Coach. I have the whitey fever. We were choked our private land fell through but it worked out in the end.
Rattling in 8x8 tanks near your place and letting them walk? Wow! I mean WHY? More self control than me!!!

You'll have to read my thread.. pics will be up soon.

butthead
11-25-2012, 10:20 PM
now thats a whitey

bosca
11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Very nice buck...good work.
Sounds like you had a great season.
Congrats!

Bigbullsh$tter
11-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Wow, look at the brows on that buggar. Great deer, must have been cool bringing him in on the hook like that.

BBS

604redneck
11-25-2012, 11:08 PM
what a nice lookin wt

hunter1947
11-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Thats a dandy WT deer you rattled in this deer in your mind you rattled in will be with you till the day you die ,,great work you did getting this deer to come in for a shot ,,I like the light color on the antlers http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.png ,,congrats to you..

kennyj
11-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Wow,tall tines on that guy. Good job rattling him.
kenny

fester
11-26-2012, 06:58 AM
excellent!!!!!!!!

wicket
11-26-2012, 08:56 AM
beauty 9pt:-D very satisfying way kill a great buck congrats

Bushy
11-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Well done Hump, great way to end the season for you!

B$tsard:mrgreen: be out for a couple days to get even.

RB

Wrayzer
11-26-2012, 09:42 AM
What a rush rattling em in is eh, anytime you can mimic an animal to bring them in that close is an accomplishment in itself. How many times did you rattle in succession? I've been successful twice, one whitey one muley, and they both came in hot after the first clashing of my sheds. I find I get too impatient after about 4 repetitions of a minute long with 10 minutes in between.

BigfishCanada
11-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Hump, nice deer buds, congrats to your hard work this year. I am hunting vicariously through you this year lol. Guess its now time to drill some holes for them big brooks huh

xtremearchery
11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Great job! Hope to see ya next Sept for the archery openner again in 3. Im going for the archery season in CV in Dec. Hope to have some pics like this.