PDA

View Full Version : Poached moose in Pemberton. Nov 24th, 2012

Alex
11-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Guys, any inforamtion you have, even if you think that it's nothing, could break the case.

Read on and thanks.

Alex

The Conservation Officer Service is investigating a poached moose incident that occured on November 24th, 2012 on the Lillooet River Forest Service Road near Pemberton. The COS requests that anyone who may have witnessed this incident or has any information related to this event call the RAPP line at 1-877-952-7277 (tel:1-877-952-7277). Any information provided can be treated as confidential.

Johnny G1
11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Now who in Pemberton would even think about poachin a poor ole moose????

Sofa King
11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
what makes them think it was poached?
is there more info on this?

Alex
11-25-2012, 05:27 PM
is there more info on this?

Sorry, not yet. Information will be posted as it comes available and in a manner not to compromise the investigation. The moose was illegally harvested.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 05:32 PM

When you find a moose that has been shot in an area with no moose seasons, it's usually pretty suspect.

fishingguy44
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Good call Gatehouse, is there much fn land up there? Im not sure what the regs or laws are on a fn harvesting for food? as for the slurs thats a little too far. Trying to teach my son the respect and responsibilities it takes to be a hunter/fisher and enjoy our outdoors. Guess there is idiots everywhere.

Sofa King
11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
When you find a moose that has been shot in an area with no moose seasons, it's usually pretty suspect.

i get that.
but do they have proof that it definitely wasn't indian killed?
poaching only applies to us non-natives.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 05:42 PM
i get that.
but do they have proof that it definitely wasn't indian killed?
poaching only applies to us non-natives.

You could call them and ask, I'm sure they would be very excited to give you all the information of their investigation.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Good call Gatehouse, is there much fn land up there? Im not sure what the regs or laws are on a fn harvesting for food? as for the slurs thats a little too far. Trying to teach my son the respect and responsibilities it takes to be a hunter/fisher and enjoy our outdoors. Guess there is idiots everywhere.

There are several Indian Reserves in the area.

Sofa King
11-25-2012, 05:51 PM
You could call them and ask, I'm sure they would be very excited to give you all the information of their investigation.

i'm assuming there is if this is being deemed "poaching".
otherwise them and the op is jumping the gun and over-reacting.

sled92
11-25-2012, 05:52 PM
The CO's were on the Hurley yesterday at 3pm stopping vehicles. It's unfortunate they didn't catch the alleged poacher red handed.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 05:59 PM
i'm assuming there is if this is being deemed "poaching".
otherwise them and the op is jumping the gun and over-reacting.

You are not making any sense whatsoever.

Sofa King
11-25-2012, 06:07 PM
You are not making any sense whatsoever.

how so?
if it was shot by an indian, then it wasn't poached now was it.
all i asked was has it been ruled out that an indian shot it?

pickle88
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
was the moose just left whole..untouched..
meat ,antlers.anything missing off it

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 06:13 PM
how so?

Because when a CO finds a moose carcass in an area with no moose season, they do an investigation. This is common sense.

if it was shot by an indian, then it wasn't poached now was it

Not true.

all i asked was has it been ruled out that an indian shot it?

How do you think the CO's are going to determine who shot the moose without doing an investigation?

Part of that investigation is asking the public for information.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
was the moose just left whole..untouched..
meat ,antlers.anything missing off it

pickle88
11-25-2012, 06:18 PM

ya ,im sure they would be excited ...boy someones grumpy

Mulehahn
11-25-2012, 06:25 PM
If a moose was shot where there is no season then it was poached. Where is the confusion? Any one with info should call the COS. But further, FN rights do take a back seat to conservation. If there is no open season and no LEHs issued then the moose populations is dangerously low and the FN harvest may also be illegal. I am not familiar with the MU so I cant say exactly. If you know anything phone in. Simple

Sitkaspruce
11-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Consrvation #1
FN use #2
The rest #3

if there is no open or LEH season, then the indians cannot legally hunt for that species. pretty simple to spell out, a whole lot different to enforce.

The moose in question was poached, the laws and courts may decide other wise.

Cheers

SS

Sofa King
11-25-2012, 07:40 PM
it is not poaching if an indian shot it.
poaching doesn't apply to indians.
if this turns out to be an indian kill, no way in hell will any charges be laid.

and what makes this one dead moose so special?
i found three in a fairly small area in the bear creek area one year, told the co's, they didn't even seem too concerned.
they never asked for any info, nothing, no road-checks were put up, nothing.
this is one moose near many reserves and they are automatically calling it poaching and it's a huge deal.
there are many moose and deer taken at night up helmer and mile high.
has anyone ever seen the co's out there in the middle of the night looking into it?

not suggesting this one moose isn't a big deal.
if it was illegally poached, that's wrong and should be looked into.
i'd say odds are very, very high it wasn't though.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
]
poaching doesn't apply to indians.

Not true. Read up on it

Vader
11-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Might be poaching although you would never know it. Never any charges. The elk harvest starts in the WK on August 15,, well before the GOS.

pickle88
11-25-2012, 08:29 PM
there hows that

sled92
11-25-2012, 08:59 PM
The intent of this thread is to help gather info about a moose that was poached on the Lillooet River FSR. It's not meant as a place for people to bash natives. Try and stay focused!!!!!!:mrgreen:

pickle88
11-25-2012, 09:10 PM
The intent of this thread is to help gather info about a moose that was poached on the Lillooet River FSR. It's not meant as a place for people to bash natives. Try and stay focused!!!!!!:mrgreen:

just for the record, i wasnt bahing anyone,i was telling a poaching story.

trapperRick
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Most likely shot by "Hunger hunters" like the sheep that were shot last year in the Ashcroft area???

Jagermeister
11-25-2012, 09:17 PM
You can tell it's getting to the end of hunting season...........everyone is starting to get pissy-whiskered!

Mulehahn
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
didn't mean to sidetrack this thread. As has been said, Anyone with actual information regarding this case please call the COS. It is just as likely any user group poached this moose! And that is the issue at hand.

Deer_Slayer
11-25-2012, 09:45 PM
speaking of poaching near Pemberton, whatever happened re: the grizzly shot last year up there? Why do we never get follow up info about these things?

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Pemberton Wildlife Assoc has offered $1000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the moose poachers.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 09:50 PM
speaking of poaching near Pemberton, whatever happened re: the grizzly shot last year up there? Why do we never get follow up info about these things?

Grizzly shooter was charged and file is with the Crown.

Alex
11-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Grizzly shooter was charged and file is with the Crown.

That's correct. Also that's great news about the reward Gatehouse!

Alex

Jelvis
11-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Has this spot where the dead moose was found have a LEH Moose season or a GOS at all?
What MU was it found in?
Jel C.S.I. O. Just the facts mam.

Gateholio
11-25-2012, 10:53 PM
There is no moose hunting of any kind. No gos. No leh

Jelvis
11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Oh that spot must have a small moose pop then for sure, one moose gone now, not good.
Let's hope the co's get the culprit.

The Dude
11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Poaching doesn't apply to indians.
If this turns out to be an indian kill, no way in hell will any charges be laid.

And what makes this one dead moose so special?
I found three in a fairly small area in the bear creek area one year, told the co's, they didn't even seem too concerned.
They never asked for any info, nothing, no road-checks were put up, nothing.
This is one moose near many reserves and they are automatically calling it poaching and it's a huge deal.
There are many moose and deer taken at night up helmer and mile high.
Has anyone ever seen the co's out there in the middle of the night looking into it?

Not suggesting this one moose isn't a big deal.
If it was illegally poached, that's wrong and should be looked into.
I'd say odds are very, very high it wasn't though.

stop typing!

The Dude
11-25-2012, 11:06 PM
A likely scenario is that someone saw a Moose, couldn't help themselves, and dumped it. They then checked the regs AFTER, and said "Holy shit, we're screwed, Boys".
They then left and agreed to shut up about it.

As far as the natives go, they know there's no season for them, because there's no GOS or LEH. Conservation is #1. I blame it on white, yellow or beige or taupe people.

Does anyone know if this was an "Immy". That might help explain it a little, anyway.

Gateholio
12-01-2012, 09:23 PM
http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article/20121129/WHISTLER12/311299975/-1/WHISTLER/reward-offered-for-info-on-poached-moose

Conservation officers and the Pemberton Wildlife Association (PWA) are hoping to find out who’s responsible for the illegal hunting of a moose north of Pemberton on the weekend.
Tim Schumacher of the B.C. Conservation Officer Service confirmed Tuesday (Nov. 27) that a moose was found shot and killed along the Lillooet River Forest Service Road on Saturday (Nov. 24).
“The moose was shot in an area where there is no moose hunting permitted,” Schumacher said in an email.
“It was shot an left on the road side.”
The PWA has put up a $1,000 reward for any information that leads to a conviction of the person responsible. Association secretary Allen McEwan said it’s club policy to offer the reward in instances of poaching when species with conservation issues — such as moose, grizzly bears or mountain goats — are involved.
“The PWA is deeply disappointed to hear a mature bull moose from this tiny population has been killed by a poacher,” McEwan said in an emailed statement. “Poaching has always been a problem. The PWA offered the reward … in an effort to raise awareness within our community about conservation issues surrounding this unique herd of moose.”
McEwan continued: “Wildlife enthusiasts in the valley enjoy seeing the moose — on the rare occasions when they show themselves.”
Moose sightings are exactly that in the Pemberton Valley — rare, but not impossible.
Schumacher said he contacted a Squamish-based biologist on Tuesday to learn more about the Pemberton-area moose population.
“There’s been a habitat assessment done, and the wintering range can support about 50 to 70 moose,” said Schumacher. “There hasn’t been an official population estimate done, but based on (the biologist’s) 20 years of experience, he can probably say that there are between 30 and 70 moose in the Pemberton Valley.
“So, it’s not extremely common, but there’s quite a few animals there, so they do get sighted on a regular basis.”
Schumacher said Saturday’s discovery is the first confirmed moose poaching in the Pemberton Valley in 2012. McEwan said conservation officers had previously told the PWA the area “lost at least three moose” last autumn in the Upper Lillooet area, though Schumacher was unable to confirm that figure.
Anyone with information on the crime is encouraged to call the Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) Line at 1-877-952-7277. Any information given on a call to the RAPP line is considered confidential.