PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Valley Sat Nov 24

heatherdaddy
11-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Holy crap was it busy with people Sat. I have been hunting every weekend this year and this is the most amount of people I have seen. I hiked over 10 miles of roads and never saw a damn thing. I saw lots of fresh tracks and crap but no deer. I was in the Chittenden Meadows scoping it out when after 20 mins of looking and seeing nothing i walked to the end of the trail on my way back there was the biggest pile of cat crap I have ever seen, it wasn't there on the way in either. Never saw the cat just the pile of steaming crap. Needless to say I will bee out there next weekend as I did find myself a very nice little ridge or 2 to try and no one else was there on that ridge. The snow line is at about 900m as I met a guy on an ATV who said there were lots of tracks in the snow on the one road but he never saw anything either. I will be trying that valley till the end of the season. I haven't seen anything there at all this year. The guy I met who lives there said there hasn't been much taken out there this year. He said he saw a 4 pointer 2 days ago near silverhope lake, but hasn't seen anything since.

Sofa King
11-25-2012, 09:26 AM
the locals must be staying closer to home.
i know the interiors fsr's are definitely less busy these last couple weeks.
still lots of guys, but it was insane during october.

BCHunterTV
11-25-2012, 04:41 PM
ya the place was a zoo, and the CO was making his rounds on his ATV

Brew
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
It was a zoo up east Harrison as well. Good thing I had gate keys and was able to get my buddy his first buck. 2 point

redthorn
11-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Heatherdaddy.

It seems like almost every weekend you post, and almost every weekend you are doing the exact same things in the exact same spots. With the exact same result of nothing.

You hiked 10 miles of road? But it was a zoo with tons of trucks on the valley bottom? Wrong place to be. There are lots of deer in the valley, but you need to just stop the truck somewhere and start straight uphill. That valley gets a ton of pressure from road hunters, and the few dumb ones have been shot off the bottom already. Try actually hiking 2 km away from the roads and quad trails. Go up on human access only trails. It might be a long haul back, but it's all downhill.

Cat Crap in Chittendem? Think that a cougar around might scare the deer out of there a bit? There is always cat crap and sign out there. And the deer can smell cat piss a lot better than you or I can. The ones brave enough to be down there will be jumpy, and the smart ones will avoid the human and cat smell like the plague.

Every year people will get lucky right off the orad in that valley. It happened to Keoke last year, it has happened to me before as well, but the bulk and the best of the animals we have seen and harvested are out of sight and inaccessible to anything other than a dedicated guy crawling the slopes.

Change your tactics, and hopefully you can change your results.

gutpile
11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Going to the skagitvalley is just a wast of time unless there
is tons of snow down on the valley floor.

xtremearchery
11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Going to the skagitvalley is just a wast of time unless there
is tons of snow down on the valley floor.

Glad u said that... That is the wintering grounds for MD. It takes allot of snow to bring em down too.

heatherdaddy
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
I am going back there this weekend but I have now found a couple of nice bluffs that I never saw anybody around this past weekend. I am going straight there on Sat morning and hiking in as it about 2-3 miles in and it is a nice clear cut right at the snow line. I hope I get something by doing that.