PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Course????

g_worsnop
11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Anyone know a instuctor in the Trail area??

pronghorn
11-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Look in the regs or google bc trappers association and give them a call they will let you know

yukon john
11-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Look in the regs or google bc trappers association and give them a call they will let you know No they won't, called them at least 20 times, couldnt even have the courtesy to call me back. If you want your license get ready for a run around. Actual conversation
"Send me 400$ and I will call you sometime in the next 6 months when I put on a course"
" With my work I might not be able to make it"
"Send me the money anyway and we'll see"

SavageShooter
11-25-2012, 08:58 AM
If you are able to get one organized in the WK, I would be interested in attending.

SS

BlacktailStalker
11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Just a heads up and a tip (learn from my frustration) I would figure out if you can even find a line or someone to get permission from before hand. I took the course hoping to get right into it... Over three years ago now and have had NO luck whatsoever and only one opportunity to buy a line that was several hours away and accessed only by boat.
I would contact your MOE rep and see if he is willing to help you acquire a line, some MOE people will depending on region, unfortunate in region one it is vet difficult to get any help at all and for that reason, to date, the course was just a waste of $. Hopefully this changes soon !

hillclimber
11-25-2012, 08:32 PM
No they won't, called them at least 20 times, couldnt even have the courtesy to call me back. If you want your license get ready for a run around. Actual conversation
"Send me 400$ and I will call you sometime in the next 6 months when I put on a course"
" With my work I might not be able to make it"
"Send me the money anyway and we'll see"

I left a message there a few weeks ago. hadn't heard back but talked to the instructor since they hadn't replied. If i am not mistaken it is one person running the show at PG headquarters so I think its a stressfull busy job.

madrona sh
11-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Definitely do the course and see if it is something you would like.
Because if it is there is lots of people willing to help you get started.
As for registered trap line availability they come up for sale all the time.
Just don't expect to get one in your backyard because you will wait till you die doing that.

Wild one
11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I left a message there a few weeks ago. hadn't heard back but talked to the instructor since they hadn't replied. If i am not mistaken it is one person running the show at PG headquarters so I think its a stressfull busy job.

It is only 1 person in the office at the BCTA in PG and she is only there for a few hours in the morning if my memory is correct. If I phone I do so around 10am and most often I get through.

I would guess the instructor you talked to was Al?

aanderson
11-26-2012, 08:18 PM
I just took the course in Coldstream, I highly recomend it , I also live in the West Kootenies so I took the course there, it is very informative and also fun

pnbrock
11-26-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm with blacktail have a licence and never set a trap.

WKCotts
11-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I would be interested in a WK course as well.

Bigbullsh$tter
11-26-2012, 08:38 PM
I would be interested in a WK course as well.
I'll be there as well Easy E

Wild one
11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm with blacktail have a licence and never set a trap.

Have you attempted to find a line or property to trap? Or is it you just did not continue beyond the course?

pnbrock
11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
truth be told would rather work a line with a more experienced trapper before i snare someones dog.

.300WSMImpact!
11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
truth be told would rather work a line with a more experienced trapper before i snare someones dog.

it happens, my grandpa was a fur buyer for years, he once bought 3 wolves and a dog from a younger excited new trapper, he didnt have the heart to tell the young fella he got someones dog

Wild one
11-26-2012, 09:45 PM

If this is something you truly want to do you should come out to the trapping local and meet a few trappers.

If you are interested send me a PM

Pete
11-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Hours for the BCTA office are 9am - 1200 Monday - Friday ph 250 962-5462 Most instructors will set a date subject to the number of students. we need 6 students to make a class go. I just finished a class with 7 students here in the Coldstream this past weekend. I will run another in Feb. There is a class coming up in Kelowna in the next couple of weeks. There is also an Instructor based out of Cranbrook.

g_worsnop
10-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Anyone know of any upcomming dates? I was unable to get er done last time due to work.

adriaticum
10-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Anyone know of any upcomming dates? I was unable to get er done last time due to work.

Go to Facebook and look for a guy called Elmo Menashee Goboy. He was talking about a course in Maple Ridge and asking for anyone interested.

https://www.facebook.com/elmo.goboy.3?fref=ts