PDA

View Full Version : One of the best days EVER.....and I didnt fire a shot.

Foxton Gundogs
11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Well After almost 2 weeks away I finally got back out. Last week was hectic and I put some miles on the new Jeep, but when all was said and done there was a new member of the team. After a fantastic visit with Labguy and some exchange of thoughts and approches to training and hunting Taz a beautiful 1.5 yr old Chocolate Lab arrived at the Foxton kennels. 3 days of socializing and training with the pack and this morning dawnes beautiful. No wind no rain but water in the "wigeon" pond. So along with Taz 2 of my partners we headed for the blind. The plan was for me to handle Taz and the other 2 to do the shooting. There would only be birds shot when they were right in front of the blind and easy marks. The birds were not overly cooperative but we managed to set a few ducks in just the perfect position and 6 fell well marked and Taz was better than I had hoped for delivering 6 beautifull short marked retrieves to hand. ! wayward malard planed into the hedge row and she hunted that one up and delivered it as well. The hi-light of the day was when my one partner took a speck on a sneak and before packing up we threw a short marked retrieve with it and once again she picked it up and made a perfect delivery to hand. This was one of the greatest days I have had and I never fired a shot:-D All I can say is this is one special dog and Labguy is one special trainer and individual. Thanks Brian we both owe you much.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/DSC03327-2.jpg?t=1353791621

xfactor
11-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Cool story. Sounds like Taz has a great new home.

pnbrock
11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
so your the lucky new owner of that beautiful girl.

labguy
11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Well After almost 2 weeks away I finally got back out. Last week was hectic and I put some miles on the new Jeep, but when all was said and done there was a new member of the team. After a fantastic visit with Labguy and some exchange of thoughts and approches to training and hunting Taz a beautiful 1.5 yr old Chocolate Lab arrived at the Foxton kennels. 3 days of socializing and training with the pack and this morning dawnes beautiful. No wind no rain but water in the "wigeon" pond. So along with Taz 2 of my partners we headed for the blind. The plan was for me to handle Taz and the other 2 to do the shooting. There would only be birds shot when they were right in front of the blind and easy marks. The birds were not overly cooperative but we managed to set a few ducks in just the perfect position and 6 fell well marked and Taz was better than I had hoped for delivering 6 beautifull short marked retrieves to hand. ! wayward malard planed into the hedge row and she hunted that one up and delivered it as well. The hi-light of the day was when my one partner took a speck on a sneak and before packing up we threw a short marked retrieve with it and once again she picked it up and made a perfect delivery to hand. This was one of the greatest days I have had and I never fired a shot:-D All I can say is this is one special dog and Labguy is one special trainer and individual. Thanks Brian we both owe you much.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/DSC03327-2.jpg?t=1353791621

This is exactly what I was hoping for. :-D

Couldn't be happier for both of you. Give her a special pat from me.

Brian

303Brit
11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Nice work, Looks like Taz will be a great fit into the pack

FirePower
11-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Well now that is a dog of a different colour for you lad, and a fine one I may add.

Crazy_Farmer
11-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Pretty nice post foxton. Good to hear the new dog is working nicely.

heyblast
11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Beautiful looking Chocolate Lab. and obviously a natural going by your story. Let us know how she progresses.

yamadirt 426
11-25-2012, 11:11 PM
I was waiting for the story on this dog since the other thread. So many positives here . Some people are rich and have different cars/boats/houses to choose from depending on the day. I'm not sure how many dogs you have but I'd call you a wealthy man. Good luck with her. She looks quite calm , cool and casual in the pic.

Dano
11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Always great to see a dog "figure it out" for the first time. I had the pleasure of hunting with a new to hunting dog saturday and she did great also.
Maddy showed her how it was done in the picture, the young dog swam to the bird on the right but turned away, Maddy got there right behind her (she's usually first but she's showing age 10 more and more :) ), Maddy picked up the bird and the youngster watched, looked around and picked up the other bird and brought it in.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/maddyat103.jpg

She also tracked and brought back a winged bird out of the grass too. Nice to hear the quack and know the dog had stayed on it, then we were excited to see her appear with the bird.
Continued good hunting to you Island guys,
Dan

Dutch
11-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Have one of those special dogs myself love him so much used him as my avatar shot 16 mallards last weekend never missed a beat but shot only 2 on thursday great rertrieves on both made my week enjoy brother,,:)

Foxton Gundogs
11-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys but this dog is what she is because of Labguy he saw that special something in her and took the time to light the fire I just aded a bit of fuel. Off for another adventure today with Taz. Yammy you are right I am indeed a rich man:-D.................Not so much on dog food buying day:roll: but I wouldn't trade it for the world!!