PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Guide Jacket

Wrayzer
11-24-2012, 10:42 AM
See some good deals on Kuiu this weekend, just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Guide Jacket. Need a decent jacket for Wind/Water resistance, breathable but Light enough to keep me warm as I like to hike away from the truck as much as possible.

WKCotts
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
No feedback. But I did a ton of research and ordered the jacke and pants yesterday.

butcher
11-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I have the jacket. I found it to be a little cold when hunting in sheep country. the wind seems to eat right through it. It seemed okay when I layered up underneath. That being said, I love the way it fits and the location of the pockets. I can get my calls, camera and rangefinder into different pockets while bow hunting, have easy access to all of them and nothing is preventing me from drawing and shooting my bow.

11-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I have the jacket and agree with what is stated above, having said that I was really shocked at how well it repelled water and kept me dry even in heavy rains but I suspect that might downgrade a little as the DWR wears a bit. I find that the place that is the best use is a breathable protective layer for my base and insulating layers as my merino wools and downs that I prefer do not do so well busting brush. I just spent 3 days hunting the upper Pitt and it rains non stop up there and after seeing how my attack pants and guide jacket dealt with the rain and how quick they dried I never reached for my rain gear when the rain came, the only time it soaked through was when I was sitting on wet logs or ground but that is to be expected. You will not be disappointed in this gear and after moving away from hunting apparel to more mountaineering gear based on fit and mobility, the price and quality and ability to move properly in this gear has brought me back to hunting gear by Kuiu.

Superdeuce
11-24-2012, 01:22 PM
If you are going to be glassing in the open wind, recommend the Sitka Jetstream as it has the Gore windstopper laminate....it's a tradeoff though as the Kuiu Guide will breathe better for hiking as it does not have the laminate. Longer sleeves and hem on the Guide.

yama49
11-24-2012, 05:13 PM
i agree with the other comments, i have to layer if its cold.. Also dries super fast...

BiG Boar
11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
It's meant as a system. It's Definitley not a do all. Depending on the hunt and temperature. Layers of wool under, and a down jacket, and rain shell over. It's light enough for summer sheep hunts and with layers is good till the end of October. As far as rain proof, it does work in light rain. But I put the shell over top when it starts to really rain or snow if back packing and no where to dry it.

onpoint
11-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Definitely the best quality gear out there for the price. Isn't the absolute warmest as others have said but I have the Guide DCS and if I wear a light synthetic down layer underneath (or more specifically have it in the pack so you can put it on when you're stopped) it's a stellar jacket. Great pockets, great fit and very quiet. I also have 2 pairs of the Attack pants and for temps above freezing and a light merino wool base, you won't find better pants that dry as quickly as they do. As Big Boar said, these technical companies like Kuiu and Sitka are meant to be used as a system not stand alone so if you use this way its solid gear.

Superdeuce
11-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I prefer the Optifade, but have to say the Vias has grown on me and it seems quite versatile... It actually blends pretty good in the snow conditions.

Wrayzer
11-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I have some Sitka base layers I'd use as a system with the Kuiu System, so I figure a good marino wool shoot and my Sitka Traverse base layer under the Kuiu Guide jacket would be good for some early Novemeber Whitetail hunts. I hike a fair bit so something that can breath and dry fast is key, as well as being silent and light layers to be able to move yet staying warm.
I Like the new pattern of digital they came out with, but I'm looking at the Solids Brown or Olive, going to do a camoless season next year.

Thanks guys.

Superdeuce
11-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I like the camo for bowhunting, but if you don't need it, you can save yourself some $ and buy any old fleece lined softshell jacket. Other then maybe the Attack pants, which are pretty hard to beat anywhere, same can otherwise be said for pretty much the whole system. For example, $20 for a made in Canada, 100% merino longsleeve at the "big box warehouse store" is about the same quality as what you will pay $100 for in boutique camo.

lwing
12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
just recieved some guide pants, was hoping a little quiter for blacktail, maybe they will break in a bit, My Rivers West is quiter and pretty decent stuff

coach
12-07-2012, 10:54 AM
See some good deals on Kuiu this weekend, just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Guide Jacket. Need a decent jacket for Wind/Water resistance, breathable but Light enough to keep me warm as I like to hike away from the truck as much as possible.

Unloading your quad and driving miles of roads and trails is not considered hiking away from the truck there, Wrayzer..:-D