PDA

View Full Version : processing your ducks??

eastkoot
11-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Anyone tried the step on wings and pull on the legs to remove the breasts as you would do on grouse or are you just better off to open breast and cut the breasts out??? Just curious..

Foxton Gundogs
11-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Dont waste your time it aint no grouse believe me. lol

Buck
11-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Pinch the skin belly up near the lower part of the breast plate.Tear up towards the neck then push the skin down exposing the breast and then cut the breast out with a knife .

blindman
11-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Every time I've read about stepping on wings to separate the breast from a bird, it applies to upland game. With waterfowl, the bumper hitch system seems to be the answer unless you do what Buck recommended; that's my method also.

kennyg826
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Pinch the skin belly up near the lower part of the breast plate.Tear up towards the neck then push the skin down exposing the breast and then cut the breast out with a knife .

X 2. Works for me also.

CRS
11-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Try one by stepping in wings.....then do exactly what Buck said. If they're big enough, you can push the skin back far enough to get at the thighs too!

eastkoot
11-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks, just thought I'd ask, never tried it myself, always pluck or cut the breast out. Been out watching lots of ducks but cannot get a duck stamp within a 100 KM radius of my home town. No PO has them... Sooooo, guess I just watch them... Federal Regs, bu## s##t !!!

lorneparker1
11-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks, just thought I'd ask, never tried it myself, always pluck or cut the breast out. Been out watching lots of ducks but cannot get a duck stamp within a 100 KM radius of my home town. No PO has them... Sooooo, guess I just watch them... Federal Regs, bu## s##t !!!

If you give someone your hunter number they can get it for you... I have gotten stamps for my american friends even before.

THey are just a stamp

Lorne

buck nash
11-25-2012, 11:22 AM

They should be availiable at the local post office. If not you can ask them to get them in. They're supposed to carry them.

Aheny
11-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I tear open the skin over the breast (very easy to do) put obe finger under the breast at the throat, one under the breast at the belly, step on the head and feet. breast and wings seperate nicely, so its legal for transport

BiG Boar
11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I tear open the skin over the breast (very easy to do) put obe finger under the breast at the throat, one under the breast at the belly, step on the head and feet. breast and wings seperate nicely, so its legal for transport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BVYOhCocw

digger dogger
11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Nice, thanx Dave. :-)

GoatGuy
11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
It's called the duck hitch or something like that.

Went out with a couple of those crazy LMers last month and shot quite a few snow geese (I shot at a lot hahaha). We breasted 30someting probably in 10 or 15 min.

swamper
11-26-2012, 11:48 AM
It's called a Bird Hitch. I couldn't find them for sale anywhere in Canada so a buddy and I made one of our own. They work great. If you want to see one in action go to www.waterfowljunkie.com (http://www.waterfowljunkie.com) and watch the videos.

Sako 75
11-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I think Stillwater Sport in Ladner might still have some those Bird hitch. Last time when I was there Brian had some.

walkerbc
11-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I have one. Had it shipped direct. Works very well. I think it was around $150. Cleans birds very quickly, leaves just the wings and breast. The same result as the guy in the video using two fingers and standing on the neck and legs except you don't get a sore back and much faster. Not that great on big geese.

lorneparker1
11-26-2012, 10:52 PM
My only problem with the bird hitch is, you still have to debone them anyway. So whats the point?

Lorne

BiG Boar
11-26-2012, 10:55 PM
It's called a Bird Hitch. I couldn't find them for sale anywhere in Canada so a buddy and I made one of our own. They work great. If you want to see one in action go to www.waterfowljunkie.com (http://www.waterfowljunkie.com) and watch the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoO7-2NeUlw

pnbrock
11-27-2012, 07:55 AM
The bird hitch is awesome for breasting birds!!

Foxton Gundogs
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
My only problem with the bird hitch is, you still have to debone them anyway. So whats the point?

Lorne

And you still have all the work to do if you want the legs and thighs

longshot
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Lorne

For me its a different way of cooking them.. Either breast them out for a fillet cut, or on the bone so each person has their own bird roast to eat.

I have made quite a few this year as a roast, covered with pepper and italian seasoning, then wrapped in bacon, and then the bacon juices seep into the meat and dont escape as the bone is there.... SOOO JUICY

~jr.