PDA

View Full Version : Crazy rifle hunter in Squamish!

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 09:48 AM
This is m first year hunting, I have chosen to bow hunt. I have been putting in my time, practicing tracking and logging many miles. Yesterday was my 13th day out and finally after lots of planning waited on the edge of a cut where I had sen 4-5 trails coming in and had a buck in my sights. he was 250 yds away and was responding good to my calls. i had him at almost 60 yards, i have been shooting well but this would have been my first deer ever so i wanted to see if i could bring him in another 10. all of a sudden a shot rang out and from over my shoulder 100 or so yards back a hunter had stopped on the road, walked down a few steps and taken my buck. not that dissapointed in missing out but very disgusted at his lack of care for my safety. he claims he didnt see me however i guess he thought that my home made rattle bag and doe bleats were coming from the stump i was behind? without wanting to get in a heated argument i wrote down his plate number and started the long walk back to my truck. this was my first experience seeing another hunter out, i hope all encounters are not like this.

itsy bitsy xj
11-23-2012, 09:52 AM
That sucks!!! you put in the time and effort and he jumps out of his truck and takes your buck

proguide66
11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Shitty times.......but maybe think about how/what the average hunter goes through when they see a buck...tunnel vision , fast breathing , excitement...he may not have heard you at all...My ears ring soo bad 100% of the time from a past hunter that almost shot my head off , I know I wouldnt have heard you at 100. You will get another crack at one , keep goin !

Spy
11-23-2012, 09:56 AM
If you feel he put your life in danger report him ! How did he react when you confronted him ? Opolgetic , laughing what was said !

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 10:02 AM
He brushed it off like no big deal, im not sure what the etiquette is so i didnt want to get to heated. do you guys know of a bow only are on the surrey delta border? i have heard rumor but no proof. would be nice to go after some pheasent aswel but also for deer.

Gateholio
11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
You can do a couple of things:

only hunt in bow seasons
Get away from the road
buy a rifle

Brez
11-23-2012, 10:19 AM

only hunt in bow seasons
Get away from the road
buy a rifle

I have to agree with Gatehouse. When I bowhunt in an open rifle area, I stay away from road or any place that would put in on your situation. Also, you did say that you were behind a stump. You could put up a sign on the road saying that a bowhunter was in the area, but I would just try to not create a situation

allan
11-23-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm still trying to arrow my first big game animal as well. The only lesson I've learned is to get to a spot where the hunters driving from the road won't interfere with your stalk. I know it's kinda tough to do that if your hunting cut blocks but try getting up behind some de activated roads ect. I've had the same thing happen to me where I was walking new areas to hunt managed get real close to bears and deer. 50 yards. When a guy drives up behind me and almost ran me over as all he could see was the bear. I was at full draw kneeling on the shoulder of the road next to some bushes at the time. Not sure what caused my blood presure to spike. Having the bear so close or having the other hunter say oops sorry as he said "I guess we"ll get out of your way" as he proceeded to drive the last 800 meters of the dead end road I was on!
Lesson 1&2. - get off the road, but it's a free country however not his fault, still was a bummer.

Rodd
11-23-2012, 10:20 AM

only hunt in bow seasons
Get away from the road
buy a rifle

X2.... And if your hidden behind a stump, how was the hunter to know you were there... Can't always hear rattles and bleat calls too far off.. and maybe he thought it was deer making the noise... Just sounds like your pouting, for the missed opportunity... Keep at it, your opportunity will present itself..

Big Lew
11-23-2012, 10:21 AM

only hunt in bow seasons
Get away from the road
buy a rifle

Unfortunately, "only hunt in bow seasons" isn't a valid alternative anymore. Possibly wearing a non-reflective red vest might have alerted the rifleman that you were there, but there are so many #&%!+@*'s out there that would shoot even if they say you at full draw.

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
I was on his side of the stump, i like the sign idea though! great idea. I may just try and hike up super far next time. I have heard that elevation is pretty important. I think i may be tracking alot of night time haunts.

brian
11-23-2012, 10:27 AM
The entire Sea to Sky up to Squamish is basically bow only. There is a 1 km no shooting area East and 400m west of the sea to sky. It is easily possible that the other hunter did not see or hear you. You would be very easy to miss if you were camo'd up and motionless while he was focused on the buck.

edit, most clear cuts especially in heavily hunted areas (ie close to the road) seem to be night time haunts unless you really luck out.

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Maybe ill try some timber way up above britania.

takla1
11-23-2012, 10:39 AM
its pretty simple really,common sense tells you those hunters that are getting up in yrs,disabled,lazy, ect will be rd hunting.Once the legs quit working for whatever reason eventually all hunters will be rd hunters.So avoid those that are among us and get up into less acessable country well off the rds.These are the areas that hold the cranker bucks anyhow.

whitespringer
11-23-2012, 10:59 AM
" Just sounds like your pouting"

Come on now.. We all would. A guy pops your deer and your not upset? If you look in the mirror I think you will sympathize with the guy not cut him down for "pouting"..:?

hunterdon
11-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I do sympathize with you. I had a similar situation happen to me last year. I was hunting a very large 5x5 whitetail when a rifle hunter driving down the highway saw him in the field, jumped out of his truck, and shot him. Totally illegal, as their are houses along that stretch of highway, and the regs state that you have to be a minimum of 100 meters from a house or building with animals. He was not. I most certainly was disappointed, as I was hunting him everyday for more than 2 weeks. I'm sure I would have gotten him eventually, as I was finally getting to know his pattern.
I thought I was fine, as I was hunting my neighbors private property, with permission of course. I didn't push the issue as it was another neighbor that shot the deer and also apparently had permission to hunt on this land. But still, I hate that kind of thing, mostly for the safety aspect.

So, this year I won't bowhunt that field. Instead. I'm hunting inside the bush where rifle hunters of that kind don't go. In many respects, bow hunting is better done away from fields and open areas. Better to sit and wait by a trail, where you are somewhat hidden and ambush the deer.

In any event, I won't discourage you to bow hunt, by suggesting you go " buy a rifle," unless you prefer to do so. To be a successful bow hunter, you need to have a LOT of patience, along with a heavy dose of determination. When successful, it will be all worth it. So, DON'T give up.

Rodd
11-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Come on now.. We all would. A guy pops your deer and your not upset? If you look in the mirror I think you will sympathize with the guy not cut him down for "pouting"..:?

I suppose I would, bad choice of words for tough luck... And yes I've been on the pouting side before many times over the years actually. This year too... Bugled in a bull to 50yds, and was unaware of the hunter that got between us... and BOOM! Someone elses dead Elk... So I know the feeling... Just keep trying and good luck will come and you'll get your Blacktail Buck with your bow... Good Luck.

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Ive found bow hunting to be alot like fly fishing. Just being out there is satisfaction enough. Im just learning and find it so exciting tracking or coming across trails. after reading many many threads today i think i need to get to a higher elevation and maybe try some timber hunting. this year, next year, ten years, im sure ill stumble across a buck at some point but for now its just nice to be out there and sharing the values im learning as a hunter and have as a fisherman to my son. Just a quick question to a previous comment, with the sea to sky having a no shooting zone, does that include bows or am i to understand that i can shoot in that zone?

Gateholio
11-23-2012, 12:14 PM
All the information you need regarding hunting the Sea to Sky is in the synopsis.

Onesock
11-23-2012, 12:34 PM
That is very sound advice Mr Gatehouse. I would expect info like that from you to a bow hunter!

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 12:38 PM
well i understand that you can not discharge firearms however my bow is not considered a firearm. I have been trying to clarify an actual question and could use some helpful advice. im not planning on stopping on the highway but i did find some trails a few hundred yards from the highway.

Stainless
11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
This is my worst nightmare for when I start bow hunting next year. That's why I'm going to try to get private land :-D

wsm
11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
He brushed it off like no big deal, im not sure what the etiquette is so i didnt want to get to heated. do you guys know of a bow only are on the surrey delta border? i have heard rumor but no proof. would be nice to go after some pheasent aswel but also for deer.

sumas mountain is bow only i think . you'll have to look it up

Singleshotneeded
11-23-2012, 01:17 PM
That's unfortunate, sucks you put in all the work and he showed up at the last minute!
I have to say that when a guy spots a buck he looks at the buck while getting ready to
shoot, makes sure it's legal and there's nothing vulnerable behind it in case the bullet
goes through, and then eases back the trigger and shoots. If you weren't directly
behind the buck according to his line of vision, he probably didn't see you, as he was
focused on the animal. I probably wouldn't have seen you either...unless you were in
my "safety scan" area right around or behind the buck. Primitive weapons are fun but
they do have their limitations...
Try getting well away from a road that a truck can still get down...maybe go down a
narrow quad trail if you have an atv and then use the machine to bring your buck back...

DIRTY-THIRTY
11-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Primitive weapons are fun but
they do have their limitations...

There's not that much primitive about today's bows.....

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Ya all the aiming is done threw my I phone.

Gateholio
11-23-2012, 01:41 PM
That is very sound advice Mr Gatehouse. I would expect info like that from you to a bow hunter!

Yes, it's good common sense advice, straight to the point.

And your advice was..... Oh right, you didn't even try to help. Thanks for coming out. ;)

ruger#1
11-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes parts of Sumas Mountain are bow only. No rifles alowed at all. Lots of gates. Because of all the partiers and illegal dumping. There are a few nice looking piebalds up there also.

Ozone
11-23-2012, 02:21 PM
and taken my buck

It wasnt your buck.

The Dawg
11-23-2012, 02:49 PM
If I'm driving down a FSR and see a legal buck in a legal area, the last thing I'm going to do is say to myself is "hey, that's a nice buck. I'm gonna let it go cause someone else is probably hunting it right now"

Shitty that happened to you, but there is no way it's the other guys fault for using a rifle when you're using a bow.
As was said, it's not "your buck" until "you shoot it" and "you tag it"

When I'm bow hunting, I get away from the roads to help make sure this doesn't happen

I fail to see a problem

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 02:59 PM
I wasn't complaining that i didnt tag the buck. I think i had a right to be a little upset that a bullet wizzed only feet over my head. the shooter was only 5 or six yards to my right or i would of been in the direct line of fire. i just think a little more care should have been taken on his part. you shouldnt shoot without knowing its a safe situation I dont care what the circumstance is. im not pouting or trying to start a conversation of bows vs rifle. I was just venting. maybe should of just kept to myself.

brian
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
sumas mountain is bow only i think
Abbotsford does not have any bow bylaws so Sumas would be bow only as well.

Coyote
11-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Fishingguy were you in camo??? If yes then it would be hard for another hunter to see you. You have to accept that they may not be looking for you let alone see you. That's why some jurisdictions have blaze orange regulations. Rather than blaming the other guy, who probably did not know you were there, you need to develop a strategy to avoid being in the same situation again. Not trying to be snotty but to help you deal with this. There is some good advice here. I've bowhunted in gun season for years but I take myself out of the high risk areas like slashes next to roads. I also wear a hi viz hat just in case.
Good luck. Hope you bag a big one

'yote

Spy
11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I wasn't complaining that i didnt tag the buck. I think i had a right to be a little upset that a bullet wizzed only feet over my head. the shooter was only 5 or six yards to my right or i would of been in the direct line of fire. i just think a little more care should have been taken on his part. you shouldnt shoot without knowing its a safe situation I dont care what the circumstance is. im not pouting or trying to start a conversation of bows vs rifle. I was just venting. maybe should of just kept to myself.
Im in total agreement with you,no excuses !If you had have been shot,everybody on this board would be singing a different tune ! Onnce again if you think he saw you & knew you were there & think that he was acting in an unsafe manner report him,it would be a no brainer to me !

Gateholio
11-23-2012, 04:36 PM
He hunter stated that he didn't see fishguy. When I am getting ready to shoot at an animal, I am concentrating on the animal, what's behind the animal and making the shot, not what is 60 yards in front of the animal, and not in the line of fire.

pickle88
11-23-2012, 04:48 PM
im guessing he didnt see you. any rifle hunter with a brain wouldnt have shot , i no i wouldnt

Spy
11-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Only FG44 would Know if it was unsafe or not,all we can do is speculate ! This thread is nothing without pictures !

Ozone
11-23-2012, 05:16 PM
The other hunter may know if it was safe also

The Dawg
11-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Again,

If I see a legal buck in a legal area, I am NOT going to take a walk through the clearcut/trees/parking lot and look carefully around and perhaps call out "Hey, any camo'd up guys or girls here before I shoot??"

I am going to look at the animal, behind the animal, and thats it.

Then I am going to set my drink down, jump out of the truck and blow it away.

fishingguy44
11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Again,

If I see a legal buck in a legal area, I am NOT going to take a walk through the clearcut/trees/parking lot and look carefully around and perhaps call out "Hey, any camo'd up guys or girls here before I shoot??"

sounds more like going to the grocery store than hunting.

Ozone
11-23-2012, 06:01 PM
sounds more like going to the grocery store than hunting.

As the saying goes, "if its legal, then its legal"

Sofa King
11-23-2012, 06:06 PM
dang road hunters.
but really, he did nothing wrong.
seeing a deer first isn't claim to it.

BC_Viking
11-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I was on his side of the stump, i like the sign idea though! great idea. I may just try and hike up super far next time. I have heard that elevation is pretty important. I think i may be tracking alot of night time haunts.

What FSR were you hunting off?

Gateholio
11-23-2012, 06:59 PM
And an elitist is born......

:)

Ambush
11-23-2012, 07:44 PM
The guy plainly states that he was not really upset about not getting to tag the deer. I think it was the bullet whizzing past his ear and realizing how close to being shot he was. Near death/serious injury events have away of pumping a guy up!!

But hey, the guy is a new hunter and fairly new to HBC, so let's rake and razz him till he leaves with a bad view of his " brethren" and this site. Bonus points if it can be turned into a rifle vs bow slam-fest.

New hunter recruitment?? Not if we can help it. :icon_frow :?

Coyote
11-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Fishingguy you asked about no shooting areas.

A no shooting area is closed to the discharge of firearms. Your bow is not a firearm. Therefore you may hunt in that area as long as it is open to hunting. Be sure to read the regs thoroughly on this

A no shooting area is not a bow only area. It is a no shooting (with firearms) area. As far as I know there is only one bow only area in the province and that is the Conuma valley on Vancouver Island.

Hope this helps.

'yote

The Dude
11-23-2012, 08:46 PM
FG44: Damn shame that you got shaken like that. It happened to me once, and it sucks. When I bowhunt, I almost always go somewhere that is private land or bow only season/area. In a mixed season: If in doubt, walk more!! It's a great way to get away from the road, and find the "Honey Holes" that road hunters never will.
That will save you problems in the future. Looks like you called in a nice buck for some lucky road hunter. Was he head-to-toe in Camo? :D

Question: Do you know the area well, and was it legal there to hunt with a single proectile (Rifle)? (I know the area is you wish to PM me)

Congrats on calling in a buck, and welcome to hunting. I look forward to pics of your animals in future!
Dude.

SKADman
11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
While bowhunting, I assume you were dressed in camo gear. That way the deer would have a hard time seeing you. Do you think the hunter could see you when the deer couldn't ??? All hunters should be required to wear at least a blaze orange vest. Really put your hunting skills to the test. And then, if someone shoots in a way that you think edangered your person, you would have a legitimate reason to rant.

greybark
11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
The guy plainly states that he was not really upset about not getting to tag the deer. I think it was the bullet whizzing past his ear and realizing how close to being shot he was. Near death/serious injury events have away of pumping a guy up!!

But hey, the guy is a new hunter and fairly new to HBC, so let's rake and razz him till he leaves with a bad view of his " brethren" and this site. Bonus points if it can be turned into a rifle vs bow slam-fest.

New hunter recruitment?? Not if we can help it. :icon_frow :?

Hey Ambush , you nailed it in so many ways .
Cheers

The Dude
11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Yup, Ambush, good post.

Wild one
11-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I recommend hunting the no shooting or shotgun/bow areas in region 2 you won't regret it. Less hunters, less pressure on deer, and less likely to have the problem you just ran into. If you can see a road any where when you are hunting there is a chance of another hunter. In BC it is even more likely because most hunters here don't get out of the truck unless they see something or need to piss

It is never a good feeling to have shots ring out right near you no matter what weapon you carry.

Good luck

pickle88
11-23-2012, 09:34 PM
ive been hunting 35+ years and this has never happened to me , ive also hunted in some busy areas.ive heard alotta shots in the background but never at the same deer im looking at.
this is not a common occurance

BCKyle
11-23-2012, 11:05 PM
He brushed it off like no big deal, im not sure what the etiquette is so i didnt want to get to heated.

I'd be pretty rattled if I was on either side of this one honestly.
A.) you're calling in a deer, quiet, trying to stay calm and be ready if you get a shot, and someone shoots right over your shoulder. Holy $&$@!
B.) you're driving, see a deer, shoot the deer, and suddenly a guy stands up and you realize you just missed shooting some guy in the back by a few feet. Again, holy $&@$!
He could have at least been more apologetic or concerned. He either made an honest mistake, in which case you'd think he'd be more surprised/freaked out... Or he saw you and blew etiquette to the wind but was confident he wouldn't hit you - dick move. Either way it sucks for you and it's too bad you lost the chance to finish what you started. On the bright side sounds like you have some good leads on better places to try and like you're on your way to calling in a nice one! Best of luck!

brian
11-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Out of curiosity, did you hear him drive up and get out of his truck? I was putting myself in this position and I was really wondering what I would do.

Big Lew
11-24-2012, 12:09 AM
A.) you're calling in a deer, quiet, trying to stay calm and be ready if you get a shot, and someone shoots right over your shoulder. Holy $&$@!
B.) you're driving, see a deer, shoot the deer, and suddenly a guy stands up and you realize you just missed shooting some guy in the back by a few feet. Again, holy $&@$!
He could have at least been more apologetic or concerned. He either made an honest mistake, in which case you'd think he'd be more surprised/freaked out... Or he saw you and blew etiquette to the wind but was confident he wouldn't hit you - dick move. Either way it sucks for you and it's too bad you lost the chance to finish what you started. On the bright side sounds like you have some good leads on better places to try and like you're on your way to calling in a nice one! Best of luck!

Very well put! Only the shooter knows for sure if he was aware of "fishingguy44", or if "fishingguy44" was stalking or calling in the deer. If he was aware, then as I see it, he did blow etiquette and was a selfish dick. If you read back through this forum you'll find others relating similar stories of either someone shooting or trying to scare game away from someone actively stalking or in the process of aiming for a shot. It's happened to me more than once. It's too bad that for some, like money or inheritance, bagging a game animal brings out the worse in them.

Deer_Slayer
11-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Ya I gotta say tough luck buddy. First of all there is nothing wrong with shooting a deer with a rifle. Second you say you are hiding behind a stump and the guy who shot the deer was a 100 yards back of you. I am sure he won't hear your grunt call unless you are bellowing at the top of your lungs. 3rd sounds like no way this guy knew you were there, and no sign he acted maliciously. He could say same thing. Dam I drove up this logging road and saw this deer and just as I was about to shoot an arrow out of nowhere hit the deer..I am so pissed off at this guy! If a truck pulled up and stopped close to where I was stalking a deer or even just sitting I would hear the truck, see the truck, see the hunters actions and stand up or wave somehow to the guy so he knew I was there. I say congrats to him for bagging a deer and too bad for you. Maybe you should be more aware of your surroundings when you hunt and what is happening around you. What if it was a big Grizz come up behind you?

Deer_Slayer
11-24-2012, 12:45 AM
5 or 6 yards now? Originally it was 100 yards back? He musta run up really fast right beside you and started blasting?

hunter1947
11-24-2012, 02:54 AM
This is one reason I like to hunt away from roads I have had a few encounters like this and that was because I was near a road 99% of the time when I am away from any roads this does not happen to me..

This hunter might not of heard you calling if he was a 100 yards further back from where this buck was and even further back from you ,,its something you might try ti avoid next time out ???.

aggiehunter
11-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I hope you don't give up and when you get older and still appreciate bowhunting you are able to take 30 days off for the BOS....it is awesome with little or no worries.

hunterdon
11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Yup, Ambush, good post.

x4. FG44, sounds like you're coming along just fine. Putting in the time and effort and calling in that buck. Who knows, if you had just a few more minutes before the other fellow showed up, maybe we would be reading a very different story along with some nice photos. Keep plugging on buddy, and glad to have you with us here on HBC!!!

steel_ram
11-24-2012, 12:15 PM
You should be able to hunt where ever you like as long as it's legal without interference from anyone. This particular circumstance was unfortunate for you but I can't see it being of anyones fault. Except the deer going to a road hunter instead of the one making the effort.

Spy
11-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Exactly well put ! Sounds to me, that the shooter new exactly what he was doing & saw the OP before he shot,just by the way he brushed him off as no big deal! Im sure a picture from where the shooter shot & where the OP was hiding would confirm this ! For all of you that say you only focus on the buck & what is behind it & not in front or in the line of fire, give your heads a shake thats just plain dangerous ! I know that if I would have shot over somebody else's head by mistake,that I would have been apologizing profusely & be in shock, because I nearly killed someone ! FG44 get some pictures up ! I for one would like to see them ! I tell all of you now that are saying"no big deal" ! It would have been were FG44 shot ! I can't believe some of these posts that think this is OK & are siding with the shooter, you make it sound like its all in a days hunt !

yama49
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM
5 or 6 yards now? Originally it was 100 yards back? He musta run up really fast right beside you and started blasting?

CAN YOU READ!!!!!!! Go back and re-read EVERYTHING before you open your mouth, and more shit falls out of your mouth... (5-6 yards to the right, for line of sight to deer from shooter)

Doesnt happen often FG44, just keep on hunting.

albravo2
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Again,

best.
comment.
ever.

Spy
11-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Again,

As funny as that sounds ! LOL if someone takes the chance and shoots a buck over my head, they will be leaving in the back of a police cruiser LOL & I will make sure they are charged !LOL too funny !

kishman
11-26-2012, 10:18 PM

It's Bow only here in Abbotsford on Sumas Mtn if I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong guys). I ride my Bike up there (not a Bowhunter) and there are Deer up there for sure. Sorry to hear about the negitive time out hunting, glad your ok.

lovemywinchester
11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/hat.jpg

Deer_Slayer
11-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Whatever Yama49. Another internet big tough guy huh? Ever been slapped in the soup hole skippy? Huh have you tough guy? pfffft

Deer_Slayer
11-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Maybe the other guy will post his side of the story? Probably a bit different

Gateholio
11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Just getting stupid now....