PDA

View Full Version : Hixon Deer

Sil3n2
11-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Just getting back from hunting all day in 7-8 west of hixon (whites landing and further on) saw a lot of deer tracks and wolf tracks but didnt see any deer. Anyone have any success in that area recently?

11-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Had a cow moose draw in that area (Mooney) in mid Oct. Hunting was slow but we did harvest a cow and muley buck. No wolf sightings and no sign to speak of, nor had any of the other hunters in there at the same time mentioned any wolf activity.

lightmag
11-22-2012, 07:18 PM
buddy and crew spent 3-4 days in there week and a half ago, same thing, good tracks, lots of wolf sign, seen few, shot one small buck, and these guys no how to hunt deer.

Sil3n2
11-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Were you guys set-up with a home made "cabin type frame"? If so saw your camp and the carcass. Yeah, all the tracks we saw were old, but the wolf tracks were newer, makes me think they got run off by the wolfs. Also saw two carcasses, both left behind but the antlers cut-off and no meat taken, except by the yotes and wolfs. Poachers or maybe someone stumbled on a wolf kill and took the antlers? Should that be reported?

Sil3n2
11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Had a cow moose draw in that area (Mooney) in mid Oct. Hunting was slow but we did harvest a cow and muley buck. No wolf sightings and no sign to speak of, nor had any of the other hunters in there at the same time mentioned any wolf activity.

Where's Mooney? Same side I was at?

Sofa King
11-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Were you guys set-up with a home made "cabin type frame"? If so saw your camp and the carcass. Yeah, all the tracks we saw were old, but the wolf tracks were newer, makes me think they got run off by the wolfs. Also saw two carcasses, both left behind but the antlers cut-off and no meat taken, except by the yotes and wolfs. Poachers or maybe someone stumbled on a wolf kill and took the antlers? Should that be reported?

how do you know it wasn't indians?
why report something that may be legal?
unless you saw someone, there's nothing that proves it was poaching.

ABad
11-22-2012, 08:19 PM
My daughter and I got a doe near Abhue creek last week. We did not see anything else all day.

Downwind
11-22-2012, 09:06 PM

This has to be the dumbest post on this site in a long time. And that is a saying a lot, considering the likes of guys lie Jeff (May his handle rest in peace). At what time is taken the antlers only and leaving the animal to rot legal; native, white, black, pink, purple or other? Your posts are the biggest waste of bandwidth out there. Have you thought of maybe just taking up cross-stitch? Because your understanding of what is legal in hunting is scary.

buckshot
11-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Times 2! What a moronic post!

Sil3n2
11-23-2012, 01:32 AM
My daughter and I got a doe near Abhue creek last week. We did not see anything else all day.

Congrats on the doe! I believe there are some nice bucks there, and I hope to find one ;)

chilcotin hillbilly
11-23-2012, 07:23 AM

Next time take a closer look, you can almost always find clues of a bullet wound, that would give you some kind of idea of the fate of the animal.

dime
11-23-2012, 11:04 AM
We had a moose draw this year, were up there for a week in Sept and a week in Oct, saw almost no deer. We did see lots of wolves, got a shot at a couple of different packs but at long distance so none on the ground. We will not be going back there as the deer population is way down. 5 years ago we limited out, one morning I saw 13 deer (mostly does). This year in Sept we saw a total of 2 does the entire week. We will not be back.

JoshCampbell
11-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Was out the mooney road Tuesday seen some does, a bull with 2 cows and a little bit of wolf sign but mostly just deer sign, roads were like skating rinks

Stainless
11-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I've been heading out that way pretty regularly since October 5th. Got my Muley out there but more down towards the river. Saw a nice bull, a couple does and a small 2 pointer, but not nearly as much as you would think with the amount of track I saw. Never ran into any wolves but I've heard them towards Chubb. Found, from the looks of it, a nice Muley that got ripped to shreds by wolves and a grizz. Ran into that hunting party with the log built cabin. Seemed like a good bunch of guys.

jml11
11-23-2012, 12:55 PM
This area has been pounded the last couple of years with the doe season (now cancelled) and any buck through mid-november as a ton or Quesnel folks headed north (added to all the PG folks already hunting there) as they had no deer season at all at that time. It was worse than calf moose season, trucks cruising around everywhere shooting the first deer they spot. The fact it is close to Region 5 may still result in higher hunter #s despite the now cancelled doe season since it is still any buck through most of November when it is 4 point or closed in Region 5...wildlife management at it's finest...

Having said that, glad people think there are no deer down there anymore :-D.

Sil3n2
11-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Next time take a closer look, you can almost always find clues of a bullet wound, that would give you some kind of idea of the fate of the animal.

I'll do that next time. We had a quick look, but didn't think to inspect it thoroughly.

Got my Muley out there but more down towards the river.

You got lucky, there ARE no deer down by the river either! :wink:

Having said that, glad people think there are no deer down there anymore :grin:.

That's right, there ARE no deer down there anymore. :-?

Timbow
11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
jml11 nailed it for this area. Almost every hunter I know of in Quesnel will drive 30 minutes north to hunt 6 point elk, immature moose, calf moose, LEH moose, mule deer buck, whitetail buck and and a youth antlerless mule and whitetail. And then last season there was a antlerless mule deer season as well. And all with over the counter tags.

This use to be a hot spot, same as the Tako creek area. Add to the fact that the MPB helped open up the area even more, I would be suprised to find any wolves let alone game animals.

Sorry for the rant.

moosinaround
11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Yup the hunting up in the PG area is WAY DOWN!! Critters are scarce and the wolf tracks WAY UP!! I am planning on heading down to the south east end of the province for at least 2 trips next year just for whities and elk. Seems to be where the open seasons and animals are plentiful?! I figure I will give the PG a few years to recuperate, and I have hunted up here for 20 years!!! So north Okanagan/East Kootenay members, any suggestions for a new to the area hunter? PM's are welcome, I don't want your honey holes or anything just a starting point off of gravel?! Moosin

pickle88
11-23-2012, 07:01 PM
This has to be the dumbest post on this site in a long time. And that is a saying a lot, considering the likes of guys lie Jeff (May his handle rest in peace). .

I think you are sadly mistaken

Jed
11-23-2012, 08:25 PM

You seem to know all the angles ...... From past experience??!!!!.......again how's that foot tasting

Sil3n2
11-23-2012, 11:26 PM
You seem to know all the angles ...... From past experience??!!!!.......again how's that foot tasting

Had me thinking the same thing, I didn't want to say anything, but seems like he's trying to push "not" reporting things one may find. I'm not going to speculate anymore on what he said on this, but makes me think.

Jesse_01
11-24-2012, 06:55 PM
I just came from whites landing today. Walked along the river, went up and down the power lines. There isn't much around there. Seen 2 doe tracks with a buck with them but looked fairly small. I am in search of a white tail. Already got a young non typical 6x5 mule last weekend. Neck was huge, right in the middle of rut.

Any idea's on white tail locations? lol I may go over to vanderhoof tomorrow and sniff around.

markomoose
11-01-2019, 11:46 AM
RELIGHTING an old thread.My son & I spent a week at Whites Landing.The area had some wolf issues a few years back but we didn't see a single wolf track.Saw good cow/calf numbers as well as plenty of does/fawns.I'm no biologist but feel this area has rebounded nicely from its "Wolfy past"Although we didn't connect the grouse hunting was incredible and we had some cool animal encounters.We also did our part in picking up half a garbage bag of empties along our travels.Maybe next season will bring us an LEH bull tag.Happy Hunting

sames14
11-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Use to hunt there years ago. You would see 40 deer a day then the wolves moved in. There was also a bad Tick problem where we saw moose walking around like they were drunk. As per other areas the wolves have moved on and are now doing their thing elsewhere. Mother Nature doing her thing or just way to many wolves.

ratherbefishin
11-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Wasn’t Hixon one of the places where trophy bucks came out of?

RackStar
11-07-2019, 10:48 AM
No trophy deer in Hixon, try 100 mile house

pro 111
11-07-2019, 07:50 PM
Funny how things go.. You shoot a cow moose when game is scarce . then post hunting was slow.. When are people gonna figure it out. Populations are down . Why would anyone shoot a cow . Next year its gonna be way slower.. My opinion anyhow.. Yea good eating . But , LOL...

pro 111
11-07-2019, 07:57 PM

Exactly !!! Kill a stupid doe where numbers are down . Then post you never saw anything else.. Was i actually born an asshole . or do I see a trend that some just seam to ignore..
LOL . Does anyone else on here see it the same as me . or am I just missing something here?

Muliechaser
11-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Maybe you are an asshole . Maybe not . But these guys posts were SEVEN years ago . It was alot different even 7 years ago .

pro 111
11-07-2019, 09:10 PM
thats a good point. never noticed the dates.
LOL .

pro 111
11-07-2019, 09:12 PM
still guys out there doing that though.

RackStar
11-07-2019, 09:20 PM
pro111
Are you out actively killing wolves?

stinkyduck
11-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Ive been off a few weeks now hunting tunkwa and or the upper deadman area. I've seen so much wolf sign, and hardly any animals, where i normally would see some here or there. Fishing is getting more inviting all the time.