PDA

View Full Version : Deer In Westwold ?

300H&H
12-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Im thinking of one last hunt in Westwold. Has anyone been there lately ? Are the deer still up high or low, in the timber or out in cuts ? Please help, all I have been able to see are does & very small bucks this year. Ive not been out much (not all my fault).

~T-BONE~
12-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Not talking about Westwood plateau? Check out "Flower Garden Buck" in open chat posted by Zenyo!

Kirby
12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
I think he means Westwold between Kamloops and vernon.

Kirby

boxhitch
12-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I was in the Monte lake area last year at this time and found bucks plowing through chest deep snow. The fresh snowfalls should help with picking out the fresh tracks. Travel sssslllloooowww.

300H&H
12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys. Yup, I am talking about the village between Vernon & Loops. I have never been there this late in the year but the road I like is little more than a quad road down low. You dont want to meet anyone in there truck comming down when theres snow or ice on it. All this snow should have some deer moveing but I think the big boys will still be up high. What are your thoughts ?

WoodOx
12-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I agree, ive hunted westwold area, and although I did not personally see any mature bucks, I have friends who hunt the area and have seen them on occasion. I would drive to where it is safe, then hike some treed ridges etc. Depends upon how you like to hunt really, but you should see some deer movement. The rut is over, so to get a shot on a bigg'un you might have to hit the brush. Good luck

Orangethunder
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
I did some work down there a few years ago in December and saw some pretty nice bucks, all of which were in the open timber or in light selection blocks. The snow was fairly deep even where the deer were. The bluffs just above town, above the dump is a good place to start. Good luck.

300H&H
12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks again. I was going to go above the dump to some of the cuts up high and work my way down thru the timber still hunting. But Ive just heard about some deer in a new vinyard here in town. The owner wants them gone so ill put away the gun & pull out the bow. The buck has been seen layin in the field every day this week. I don't know how big he is but I want the meat for the freezer so a doe will do.

dave_fras
12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
im heading out there tomorrow morning with my uncle..... ive never hunted the area ... but has have put in tons of time up there.....

300H&H
12-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Good luck Dave. Let me know how you did.

mark
12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I was there last week, saw 2 does all day, hunted all them cuts above the dump. Lots of hunters, they all said it was a good area, and all had a big buck story for me!

dana
12-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Spent some time up Paxton last year. Saw several 4 points without even looking. Wasn't a ton of hunting pressure as far as I could tell, especially when you get out of the truck and walk.

GoatGuy
12-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Spent some time up Paxton last year. Saw several 4 points without even looking. Wasn't a ton of hunting pressure as far as I could tell, especially when you get out of the truck and walk.

X2 it should still be good in there if you're looking for something with 4 pts.

jackychiles
12-10-2006, 09:40 AM
I have seen a ton of deer up in that area this year. Timing is everything it seems because some days are awesome and others are crap.

Jacky