PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Smoking Pucks

NaStY
11-22-2012, 08:23 AM
So i have a bradley smoker but I need some ideas.

I want to know what everyone that has one what they are using for pucks in there smoker........

r106
11-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Like type of wood? Or puck substitutes?

MB_Boy
11-22-2012, 08:31 AM
It depends on what I am smoking.

What are you looking to smoke....fish.....game.....veggies......cheese?

KodiakHntr
11-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Mostly maple for cheese and meats, fish get maple and alder, or just alder.

r106
11-22-2012, 08:38 AM
for me it's apple for fish, apple or cherry for chicken, hickory for pork. I used apple as well for some deer peperoni Turned out great

ultramafic
11-22-2012, 08:48 AM
I stick with the maple for pretty much everything in mine.. I have been kinda curious about the "flavoured" varieties from Cabela's which have some herbs in them but have never been brave enough to try. Perhaps the next time I do ribs I might have to buy a box of them and give them a go. I personally would stick to Maple for fish though.

Mike

phoenix
11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Just get the "Special Blend" ones, "I use that s**t on everything", lol. Find a dealer with the 120 boxes also, way cheaper that way.
Kim

steelballs
11-22-2012, 08:58 AM
i have used the bradley for years. it doesnt really matter which you use ive smoked fish with alder apple special blend hickory and crown royal,its always good to experiment. dont be affraid to experiment you may just discover something better

Sitkaspruce
11-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Fish get alder/apple or special blend
Pork gets apple/oak/sb/crown royal
Game gets alder/hickory/sb/cr/oak
Chicken gets apple/alder or sb
duck gets apple
beef gets oak/sb/cr/hickory

Mix the pucks up as well during the smoking.

Cheers

SS

r106
11-22-2012, 05:54 PM
This thread got me thinking it's time to make some pulled pork soon

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/IMG_1414.jpg

phoenix
11-22-2012, 09:40 PM
This thread got me thinking it's time to make some pulled pork soon

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/IMG_1414.jpg
I've never done pulled pork in the Bradley, I always use the "big boy" for that. How long does it take and what temp? Also, I see a lot of grease in there which could catch fire. I use the foil 11 3/4"x 9 3/8"x 1 1/2" Lasagna pans from CanTire ($3 for 2) on the rack below anything I do that might drip. Everything gets well smoked but no grease fire threat.
Kim

M.Dean
11-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I found out over the years it's very easy to over smoke what ever your smoking. And, I found that hickory wood is the worst one for screwing up a whole smoker full of meat or fish. Now, when I do use hickory wood I use it very sparingly! It took a while to find out your smoker doesn't have to be belching smoke for the entire time the meats in there! When I do jerky, depending on how thick I've cut it I will use three pucks for about a 6 hour period, when you over smoke some things the meat will have a real strong smoked flavor, making the jerky real hard to eat, but that depends on how much booze you've drank before you eat the jerky! Also, what I've been playing with is using apple or cherry wood that I've cut about a inch thick, then using a axe I cut it into puck sized pieces and use them in the Bradly, so far so good! And one hell of a lot cheaper than the pucks! We did one pile of pork ribs this past season, I boiled them for about a hour, then used every spice in the house on them, put them in the smoker for a good 3 or 4 hours using a light smoke,then when they turn real golden brown,I brushed them with garlic sauce towards the end and there about the tastiest things I've ever smoked! Good luck to all!!!

Bag1
11-22-2012, 11:09 PM
maybe this will help,

Hickory
Pungent, smoky, bacon-like flavor.
Good with Pork, chicken, beef, wild game, cheeses.

Pecan
Rich and more subtle than hickory, but similar in taste. Burns cool, so ideal for very low heat smoking.
Pork, chicken, lamb, fish, cheeses.

Mesquite
Sweeter, more delicate flavor than hickory. Tends to burn hot, so use carefully.
Most meats, especially beef. Most vegetables.

Alder
Delicate flavor that enhances lighter meats.
Salmon, swordfish, sturgeon, other fish. Also good with chicken and pork.

Oak
Forthright but pleasant flavor. Blends well with a variety of textures and flavors.
Beef (particularly brisket), poultry, pork.

Maple
Mildly smoky, somewhat sweet flavor. Try mixing maple with corncobs for ham or bacon.
Poultry, vegetables, ham.

Cherry
Slightly sweet, fruity smoke flavor.
Poultry, game birds, pork.

Apple
Slightly sweet but denser, fruity smoke flavor.
Beef, poultry, game birds, pork particularly

Peach or Pear
Slightly sweet, woodsy flavor.

Grape
Aromatic, similar to fruit woods.
Turkey, chicken, beef.

old Wine/whiskey Barrels
Wine and whiskey and oak flavors. A flavorful novelty that smells wonderful.
Beef, turkey, chicken, cheeses.

r106
11-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I've never done pulled pork in the Bradley, I always use the "big boy" for that. How long does it take and what temp? Also, I see a lot of grease in there which could catch fire. I use the foil 11 3/4"x 9 3/8"x 1 1/2" Lasagna pans from CanTire ($3 for 2) on the rack below anything I do that might drip. Everything gets well smoked but no grease fire threat.
Kim

I cook @ 220 with 3 hours of smoke using hickory, 4 hours if using other wood. It can take anywhere from 10 - 15 hours depending on the meat. There is no concern for a grease fire. The pan you see is angled with a hole in the bottom that drips into a bowl of water. Thats what it's meant for. And that is a actually a very small amount of grease in there.

phoenix
11-28-2012, 10:50 PM
I cook @ 220 with 3 hours of smoke using hickory, 4 hours if using other wood. It can take anywhere from 10 - 15 hours depending on the meat. There is no concern for a grease fire. The pan you see is angled with a hole in the bottom that drips into a bowl of water. Thats what it's meant for. And that is a actually a very small amount of grease in there.
Thanks r106,
I think I'll continue to use the big one for pulled pork. I don't trust that pan to keep draining and with the heating element right there I err on the side of caution. It makes clean up way easier also IMO. Nice looking pork BTW.
Kim

moosinaround
11-28-2012, 10:54 PM
maybe this will help,

Hickory
Pungent, smoky, bacon-like flavor.
Good with Pork, chicken, beef, wild game, cheeses.

Pecan
Rich and more subtle than hickory, but similar in taste. Burns cool, so ideal for very low heat smoking.
Pork, chicken, lamb, fish, cheeses.

Mesquite
Sweeter, more delicate flavor than hickory. Tends to burn hot, so use carefully.
Most meats, especially beef. Most vegetables.

Alder
Delicate flavor that enhances lighter meats.
Salmon, swordfish, sturgeon, other fish. Also good with chicken and pork.

Oak
Forthright but pleasant flavor. Blends well with a variety of textures and flavors.
Beef (particularly brisket), poultry, pork.

Maple
Mildly smoky, somewhat sweet flavor. Try mixing maple with corncobs for ham or bacon.
Poultry, vegetables, ham.

Cherry
Slightly sweet, fruity smoke flavor.

Apple
Slightly sweet but denser, fruity smoke flavor.
Beef, poultry, game birds, pork particularly

Peach or Pear
Slightly sweet, woodsy flavor.

Grape
Aromatic, similar to fruit woods.
Turkey, chicken, beef.

old Wine/whiskey Barrels
Wine and whiskey and oak flavors. A flavorful novelty that smells wonderful.
Beef, turkey, chicken, cheeses.

A connoisseur of smoke!!!!! Nice, I will try these recommendations!! Call you DR Smoke!! Guess it is better than Dr WOOD??!!!;) Moosin