PDA

View Full Version : Squamish area wolf down

One Shot
11-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Went hunting this afternoon for Blacktails with my two regular hunting buddies. As we drove along the FSR, I was looking below thru the trees. I stop and backed up some to get another look at something that I saw below. It appeared that someone’s large brown/reddish dog was down below in the distance on the river bed, then a black one appeared with another behind it. Then I knew that they were wolves. I took a picture and then ranged them at 496 yards.

They were then aware of us and started to move. The brown/red moved off first to the right and then behind some logs then into timber. The other two moved around nervously. We decided to move further down the road to see if we could get closer.

We found a decent opening thru the trees and stopped and the two wolves started to move of due to we were closer. I got out of the truck loaded my rifle told my two buddies to stay put as not to stress them out more. I ranged again and found them to be at 370 yards and moving away.

I walked off the road went down to my knee and took aim and fired. It appeared that there was no reaction from them other than they were moving away even faster now. I took aim again and fired, this time they are well close out to 450+ yards.

Feeling calm about the encounter and shots I took, I suggested that we go further down the road and find a crossing across the channel follow the tracks and check for blood signs.

We walked back ½ mile to where they where we last saw them and started to tracked each track/trail into the bush but found no blood. I continued further south and followed one trail thru the sand then gravel only to find one black wolf down laying in a depression in the river bed.:-D

The black wolf is not large but it is not small either. I carried the wolf over my shoulders back to the truck for processing. We disn't get a blacktail but more than pleased with what we took home. There will be a few more deer now next season.

Pictures to come

OORAHH

vortex hunter
11-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Were the picturesssss pictures

The Dude
11-22-2012, 04:17 AM
Very cool! I know that area fairly well, can you post or PM the location for my records?
Looking forward to pics, if you need help posting, let me know.

Mr. Dean
11-22-2012, 10:19 AM
pic pic pic pic PIIIIIIC!

Onesock
11-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Change name to 2 shot?

TheProvider
11-22-2012, 10:40 AM
There was quite avfew sightings last year of wolves

skibum
11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Cool man, can't wait to see the pictures!

604redneck
11-22-2012, 11:12 AM
450 yds off the knee is a hell of a shot....congrats on the dog

One Shot
11-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I want to post pics but the edit button only comes up with a empty box no text to edit. Any ideas any one. PM'd the mods but no replay as of yet.

Mr. Dean
11-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Slip them into a NEW post then....

The Silent Stalker
11-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I know the area well myself, I e
was up there a few days sitting over a spot I know a cougar travels and I could hear the wolves going nuts for about 20-30 minutes just up the valley where you speak of. I should have gone and had a look, the cougar never showed that day. Congrats on a good kill.

Paulyman
11-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a nice story and all, but I didn't see any pictures attached!!

One Shot
11-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Can't seem to edit the original post to add pictures so here they are;

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m259/mconeshot/IMG_5466a.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m259/mconeshot/IMG_5470a243.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m259/mconeshot/IMG_5481a.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m259/mconeshot/IMG_5485a.jpg

marcus44
11-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Nice wolf!!

vortex hunter
11-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Nice wolf I know were U were hunting oneshot .. Dont worrie I will never tell lol

TheProvider
11-23-2012, 03:14 PM
cool pics... one less dog to terrorize the elk and deer this winter

Tanya
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Excellent job! Congrats on the wolf and super shot.

markt308
11-23-2012, 03:20 PM
great photos. nice dog

BlacktailStalker
11-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Nice shot. Dirty animals, I wouldnt handle them like that myself though...

ARC
11-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Good job! Nice wolf!

A little FYI, talking to my taxidermist, every single wild cat and dog he has handled has been full of fleas...not sure I would be wearing them as a scarf like that. It is a beauty though!

Mr. Dean
11-23-2012, 08:41 PM
It's the, Sniper Wolferizer!!! :lol:

MFERGIE
11-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Congrats on the wolf! You planning on doing a rug?

hunter1947
11-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Great job getting this wolf will save lots of deer over the years to come ,,congrats

BiG Boar
11-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Regs says to use gloves when handling wolves. Also to use a full body hazmat suit if you want to wrap it around your neck.

Hydatid disease. This disease is based on a tiny tape worm (Echinococcus granulosus) which lives in the gut of canids –wolves, domestic dogs, coyotes - in great multitudes. It produces tiny eggs which are passed out in large volume in the feces of infected canids. Normally these tiny eggs spread out on forage consumed by deer, elk, moose etc. Once ingested the eggs develop into big cysts in the lung, liver or brain of the infected herbivore. Each cyst contains huge numbers of tiny tape-worm heads. The disease kills the host outright or makes it susceptible to predation. When it’s lungs or liver are consumed by wolves, dogs or coyotes, cysts included, the tiny tapeworms are freed, attach themselves to the gut, and grow and produce eggs, closing the cycle.

Humans pick up the disease from the fur of infected wolves, dogs or coyotes they handle, or from the feces they disturb. Wolf scat can be contaminated with millions upon millions of tiny tape worm eggs. These eggs, like fine dust, can become readily air born and landing on hands and mouth. The larvae move into major capillary beds – liver, lung, brain – where they develop into large cysts full of tiny tape worm heads. These cysts can kill infected persons unless they are removed surgically. It consequently behooves us (a) to insure that this disease does not become wide spread, and (b) that hunters and guided know that wolf scats and coyote scats should never be touched or kicked. Therefore, do not touch or kick wolf feces – on principle! Avoid it and do not disturb. (c) In areas with Echinococcus skinning of wolves and coyotes must be done with grate care using gloves and masks!

Piperdown
11-26-2012, 07:58 AM
You da man!!

kevan
11-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Thats a nice wolf, and a great shot !
Could you tell us what you were using for a rifle and load ?

One Shot
11-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Remington 700 .243, Speer 85g BT at about 3200 fps.

Mr. Dean
11-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Hydatid disease. This disease is based on a tiny tape worm (Echinococcus granulosus) which lives in the gut of canids –wolves, domestic dogs, coyotes

Never heard of this before but I would assume that every pet owner is in need of surgical removal of cysts from their brains...
Never ever had a discussion from a vet or MD warning us of this.

vortex hunter
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Well If wolfs and coyotes carry that should they not talk more about that for people predator hunting ? but also does any dust mask work or do they want you to use a hepa-filter mask and surgical gloves rip and tear ... Im new into predator hunting so thats why I am asking

One Shot
11-26-2012, 02:30 PM
I have emailed a FW biologist to see if there is a problem, particularly with wolves from this region.

Mr. Dean
11-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I have emailed a FW biologist to see if there is a problem, particularly with wolves from this region.

Thanks!
It may explain my piss-cutter headaches.

Lemme know when you know...

Mr. Dean
11-26-2012, 02:45 PM
www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/wldhealth/diseases_from_wildlife... · PDF file

See pg 26.
Good file to save...

NASTY shit.

Precautions recommended;
- Wash hands
- Wear gloves

No mention of masks.
No more raw, ungulate organ food for the pets.

Mr. Dean
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Crap.
my link isn't linking..... copy/paste it into search engine.

BiG Boar
11-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Well If wolfs and coyotes carry that should they not talk more about that for people predator hunting ? but also does any dust mask work or do they want you to use a hepa-filter mask and surgical gloves rip and tear ... Im new into predator hunting so thats why I am asking

• Note: dust masks for insulating or painting DO NOT protect against most airborne bacteria and viruses

The Dude
11-26-2012, 07:54 PM
For Mr Dean Diseases from Wildlife (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/wldhealth/diseases_from_wildlife_safetymanual.pdf) PDF File download

albravo2
11-26-2012, 08:59 PM
My comments uploaded tonight. 'Too many wolves, not enough ungulates. Don't let the vegans stand in the way of sensible policy.'

One Shot
11-28-2012, 01:16 AM

Here is his response to my email.
There is no reason to expect that Canids (both wild and domestic dog-family members), living anywhere in the province are not at risk for being potential carriers of the tapeworm life-form that is infectious to humans. Echinoccou is more prevalent in some places than others, but always a potential.

There is good wwweb info and background for the life-history of Echinococcus and a handy pocket-size reference that we publish called, “Diseases You Can Get From Wildlife”. If you haven’t seen it, or have a copy already, send me your mailing address and I will ship you one.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Mr. Dean
11-28-2012, 02:50 AM
That's the PDF file in 'Dudes post.
good read.

Panic
12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
This is probably a little difficult with an animal the weight of a wolf but, an old trick I use for rabbits is hanging them in a tree high enough to stop the preds jumping for them. By the time I circle back to it all the fleas have left the cold body. As soon as it starts to cool they start leaving.

Jetboat
12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Hmm...interesting read. A trapper friend wants me to bring him wolf shit from the packs around here to use in a different area. He says wolves investigate the smell of a strange wolf shit as they won't tolerate other wolves in their territory. Makes sense. But after reading this thread, I don't think I want to baggie up any "scat" (shit) from my local pack(s)

bc traper
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Hmm...interesting read. A trapper friend wants me to bring him wolf shit from the packs around here to use in a different area. He says wolves investigate the smell of a strange wolf shit as they won't tolerate other wolves in their territory. Makes sense. But after reading this thread, I don't think I want to baggie up any "scat" (shit) from my local pack(s)

All he needs is dog s--- Wolves can not stand any other dog in thier area

270WIN
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Kind of a newby question. Thought I would ask it here. Sinceall wolves shot in region 2 need to be inspected. Do you have to bring thewhole wolf in or can you just skin it out and keep the head ?

One Shot
12-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Kind of a newby question. Thought I would ask it here. Sinceall wolves shot in region 2 need to be inspected. Do you have to bring thewhole wolf in or can you just skin it out and keep the head ?

All you need to do is phone in or go in to your local MoE office and talk to a CO or a Bio from F&W to report it. No need to bring animal or part in. You should look to see what gender it is and approx age.