PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

The Hermit
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I recently had surgery to remove cataracts from my eyes and fancy new bionic light adjustable lenses installed. I no longer need to wear perscription glasses for anything and the world is a MUCH brighter place! So for the past thirty years I've been kinda stuck wearing prescription sun glasses and now have the opportunity to purchase some new cool technologically advanced shades! :cool:

Its been a long time but I used to wear Varnets, (required for the Whistler Chapter of the UIC Ski Team - 1976 - 78 ;-) ). I also have a pair of REVO wrap arounds that were great at the time but are scratched to rat shit now - boo.

So what are the best brands to consider for driving and the beach? Any that are excellent for hunting situations? Thanks in advance.

Islandbowhunter
11-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Must be nice to have your eyes back to bionic strength!

I like Arnette and Smith, I'm not brand loyal but they fit my face.

The only advice I would give is to spring for polarized lenses.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Talk to Elkhound....the "eye" in the sky.
You want best light protection ...or just want to hide those perving eyes? Sounds like an Eagles tune! LOL!

SSS

RiverOtter
11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
For the money, I like my Spy's.....Could be a pun there.....:mrgreen:

Have worn Oakley's, Serenghetti's and Ray Ban's, for comparison...

Shooter
11-20-2012, 06:31 PM
I just needed to buy a good set of glasses to cut down glare while looking at vehicle paint jobs out in the sun but ones that didn't "distort" what I was seeing. I didn't want them to just darken the world up if that makes sense. I settled on Maui Jim sunglasses after trying on many kinds. I recommend just going in to a quality optic store and trying a bunch on during a sunny day.

wrenchhead
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm a oakley man for fit/finish scratch resistance and warranty. Had good luck with them

GoatGuy
11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Ask fisher-dude, everything he has is the best and you two are practically identical twins.

Trophyslayer
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Maui Jim's I have had oklyes spy's arnettes ray bans lots of higher end glasses and have found them the best

ActionJackson017
11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I lost my good sunglasses just a couple months ago.. did the bonehead move of driving away with them on the roof of my car.. they were $250 Vaurnet's and had brown polarized lenses which I found to be awesome for fishing out in the ocean with. Anyway, I too am in the market for replacement glasses and have made the decision I'll go with Maui Jims this time around. I do have a recommendation from a family member however, that PGA Tour sunglasses have extremely good optics and are probably 1/2 the cost of Maui Jims.

Poguebilt
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Look at em all and walked home with Maui Jims!

J_T
11-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Maui Jim's hands down. Best and most durable glasses I've ever owned.

Or go cheap cause you're just going to lose whatever you buy next year when you are elk hunting in that overtired stupor. Either leaving them at Starbucks or on the counter at your massage therapists.

longstonec
11-20-2012, 08:16 PM
I have used oakleys, ray bans, electric's and smiths, Polarized makes the biggest difference. Smith and electrics are in the 150-200$ range for polarized. And oakleys and ray bans are more.

Oh! And Ryder's makes really good glasses for really good price. Under 100

Drillbit
11-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Maui Jim's I have had oklyes spy's arnettes ray bans lots of higher end glasses and have found them the best

I agree. Maui Jims polarized are a pretty nice lens, tough too.

Stillhunting
11-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I agree. Maui Jims polarized are a pretty nice lens, tough too.

Polarized Maui Jims for sure. I've had mine for over 5 years. Dropped them many times and even sat on them a couple of times, they really are tough.

warnniklz
11-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I've been hooked up with a pair of Native Andes, they're actually pretty sweet

http://www.nativeyewear.com/Eyegear/id/48#product-48

I've gone through more than my fair share of oakleys, customs included... enjoy them as well

MB_Boy
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I have used them all for fishing/ on the water....skiing/snow sports and just general wear, bought a pair of Kaenon's in Hawaii last year and they have been the best hands down. They are pricey but worth every penny.....had buddies I skied with last winter and fished out on the WCVI during the summer who have all bought them now.

I should add I have also used Oakleys, Smith, Bolle, Maui Jim's, Vuarnet, Arnette and Spy's over the last 25 years and these have been the best.....I don't mind paying for good eye protection.

GoatGuy
11-20-2012, 10:25 PM
4228 (http://media.firebox.com/pic/p5002_extra2.jpg)

troutseeker
11-21-2012, 12:00 AM
For fishing Maui Jims, everyday Oakley's. and for skiing I still use my 1970's Vuarnet's!

Spy
11-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Spy Optics ! LOL Glad you got youer eyes back ! Still some time left in the season !

The Hermit
11-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Ask fisher-dude, everything he has is the best and you two are practically identical twins.

I live in fear every day that some union dude is going cold cock me in a case of mistaken identity! But you're dead wrong about him having the best of everything... he still uses that crappy euro glass having not upgraded to Kowa yet!

The Hermit
11-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Maui Jim's hands down. Best and most durable glasses I've ever owned.

Or go cheap cause you're just going to lose whatever you buy next year when you are elk hunting in that overtired stupor. Either leaving them at Starbucks or on the counter at your massage therapists.

Thought I'd just borrow yours for the trip... damn my neck is sore!

The Hermit
11-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Still got the mother of all colds... call me Mr Snothead! FAK three weeks and counting! Hope to get out later this week.

Steelpulse
11-21-2012, 12:53 AM
if you like to fish buy Costas the best for fishing, and they are great sunglasses

The Dude
11-21-2012, 04:33 AM
Sobchaks, hands down.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Forum%20Ammo/walter-pain.jpg

boxhitch
11-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Maui Jims come in a polarized version with a small cheater lense for those that need help with texting while driveing and looking cool at the same time.

Ryders have a 'Lite' model that almost clear but has just a slight yellow tint and a thin mirror finish. These are great for night driving and generally lighting up a dreary cloudy day , but others can still see your eyes perving.

redneckmedic
11-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Maui Jim as many others have said. I had LASIK 3 years ago and have amazing vision now but a side affect is that I am pretty light sensitive, they are extremely durable, I did have to replace the lenses after an unfortunate quading incident about a year ago, but the frames are just fine

The Hermit
11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Went to the opticians today and tried on Ryders, Ray Bans, Serengeti, and Maui Jims. Each brand has a multitude of lens' and frames... YIKES! The ones I liked best today were the Maui Jim Banyans with the HT Lens... not too dark so can be worn dawn, dusk, fog, and misty days - sold as golf shades but would be good for driving too me thinks. The only thing I'm not too sure about is that they are polycarbs not glass so scratch resistance could be a problem.

http://www.mauijim.com/media/catalog/product/cache/30/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/t/ht412-02.jpg

I found a store that carries Kaenon in South Cowichan so will make a trip up there to check them out before buying anything... they look pretty sweet!

http://www.kaenon.com/assets/2012/09/28/segment-shinybronze-polarc12.jpg

Elkhound
11-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I have worn and sold just about everything. Maui Jim and Serengeti are my two favorites. For what you mentioned in your original post to what you want to wear them for?

I would go for a Serengeti Strata lens in their drivers color (Brown)

This is a safety treated glass lens. I have 2 pairs with my newest pair being 18yrs old. (I have about 20 pairs of sunglasses....lol) So durability is second to none and does not scratch easily and glass has better optics than any other lens material. This is also a polarized lens which is always your best option. The advantage these have over the maui jims is the serengeti is a photochromic lens which means this is a dark sunglass lens in its natural state (never goes to a clear lens)...but as the sun gets brighter...these will change darker. So they adjust for your lighting conditions.

Any questions just post up or send me a pm.

Elkhound
11-22-2012, 06:12 PM
ps......polycarb is great impact resistant but naturally soft so yes....they do scratch the easiest out of any lens material. They also have the worst optics than any other lens material. It is what I use for my shooting glasses however.

BCHoyt
11-22-2012, 07:25 PM
I rock Oakley Flak Jackets in camo..

Livewire322
11-23-2012, 12:46 AM
I frequently rock my ray ban aviators... Gun metal frames with black smoke glass, people think I'm undercover :)
Been looking at getting some new shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses, will end up buying the "revision sawfly" glasses

The Hermit
11-23-2012, 01:06 AM
ps......polycarb is great impact resistant but naturally soft so yes....they do scratch the easiest out of any lens material. They also have the worst optics than any other lens material. It is what I use for my shooting glasses however.

Thanks to all for the input.

Elkhound - If you have a few minutes and the interest I'd appreciate your going to the Kaenon site and taking a look at their technical information on their proprietary lenses... let me know what you think. Seems they have the advantages of optical clarity of glass with the light weight of polycarb and tougher than both. http://www.kaenon.com/technology/lens-technology

Spy
11-23-2012, 01:20 AM

Elkhound - If you have a few minutes and the interest I'd appreciate your going to the Kaenon site and taking a look at their technical information on their proprietary lenses... let me know what you think. Seems they have the advantages of optical clarity of glass with the light weight of polycarb and tougher than both. http://www.kaenon.com/technology/lens-technology
They look great I like the prices aswell!

Sofa King
11-23-2012, 01:25 AM
serengeti's are my favs.
i have four pairs and have lost probably three.

Elkhound
11-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi Bill......I am familiar with them already however I have not worn them myself.
They are a good lens....the lens they are using is a trivex material.....however they have renamed the lens for licensing and patent purposes. A very good material......however......still not the optic quality of glass and they do scratch easier but much better than polycaRB by a long shot.
If you want lighter than glass check out these........Serengeti has almost identical material in their polar phd lenses.

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/technology/lens/polar-phd.aspx

You could not go wrong with either lenses. So find the style you like and go with it. No bad choice here. Personally I would still go serengeti only for one reason......the photochromic capabilities. One of the few lenses on the market that are both polarized and photochromic

post up with what you get......I live for this stuff lol.....any other questions post away.

Cheers

Dave

Elkhound
11-23-2012, 09:27 AM
one company's opinion on some materials

http://www.adseyewear.com/sunglasses-lens-information/lens-material-select/

But they did get one thing wrong......they said if you want polarized lenses in trivex you must order from kaenon......not true as the serengetis polarphd lenses have it too.

Like I said......cant go wrong with either choice. I must say though.....nice to see someone doing some research on the subject.

The Hermit
11-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Alright I've narrowed it down to Serengeti PolarPHD lens - same lens material as Kaenon uses with the added photsensitive feature (darkens and lightens with the amount of ambient UV). I spent about an hour with the Kaenon glasses and a pair of PolarPHD and Maui Jim's and as far as optical clarity they are so close I couldn't tell the difference so the harder Trivex material and the photosensitive feature gives the nod to Serengeti... and they are all too expensive! Ha. Now to find the best frame for my face and order a pair with the Driver's Gold tint.

Oh and I've also decided to go with a less expensive Maui Jim in the golfer's green shade for low light situations and golf as they are super enhancers for golf and target shooting!

Thanks for all the input.

11-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I have a couple pairs of Ray Bans and Maui Jim's that I switch back and forth from. I find that the polarized bronze lens in my Ray Bans is always my go to unless it is mid summer bright sun, people always bug me at work because I wear them to drive even on rainy or overcast days so I just hand them over and they seem shocked what good "sunglasses" will do for you when it's not sunny. I find there is not a lens that will do everything so just like guns you need lots, next on my hit list is a pair of Persol sunglasses with the yellow lenses that really has to be tried to be appreciated.

Elkhound
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I find there is not a lens that will do everything so just like guns you need lots.

Very true.

congrats on the decision Bill. now to find the right model to wear lol. Believe it or not costco had some of the best prices on them last time I checked.

The Hermit
11-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Going to Costco tomorrow afternoon! Cheers

The Hermit
11-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Nope Costco doesn't have much there an none in the PolarPHD. They don't have any merino socks anymore either, and no true merino undies (18% merino 82 poly stuff bah). I did pick up a huge pork tenderloin for $20 though! Win

ActionJackson017
11-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Funny how this works.. I tell my wife I want Maui Jims for xmas and she gets back from the states (Black Friday Shopping) with a new pair of her own. Anyway, they do look good on her, and damn looking through the glass sure looks nice :)

Elkhound
12-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Hmmmmmmm pm sent Bill

Foxtail
12-01-2012, 06:55 AM
The best pair of glasses I have ever had were a pair of Gatorz www.gatorz.com (http://www.gatorz.com) The aluminum frame magnums are the ones I had. The lenses were top notch and they were the best fitting pair of sunglasses I ever had. Being aluminum they are completely adjustable to fit anyones head... just bend them a bit if your one ear is higher than the other... adjustable nosepiece aswell...

wlbc
12-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Its been a long time but I used to wear Varnets, (required for the Whistler Chapter of the UIC Ski Team - 1976 - 78 ;-) ).

So what are the best brands to consider for driving and the beach? Any that are excellent for hunting situations? Thanks in advance.

Hermit, we might have carved the same snow at Whistler back in the day. I used to go for a couple of days midweek and sleep in my pickup in the parking lot. The snowplow guy would bang on the truck in the morning, I'd get up and grab a coffee at that old Husky station across from the gondala.... but I digress...

My last four pairs were Raybans, Serengetti's, Maui Jim's, and now back to Serengetti's. The Serengetti's have held up the best over time with the Maui Jim's 2nd.

Hard to beat Serengetti's.

Rock Doctor
12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
These will record what you see in HD

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406308,00.asp

RD

Elkhound
12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
A few companies make a product like this.....Thanks RD I have been drooling about getting a pair of these for hunting trips as I am sooooo slow digging out my camera. lol

These will record what you see in HD

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406308,00.asp

RD

The Hermit
12-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Hermit, we might have carved the same snow at Whistler back in the day. I used to go for a couple of days midweek and sleep in my pickup in the parking lot. The snowplow guy would bang on the truck in the morning, I'd get up and grab a coffee at that old Husky station across from the gondala.... but I digress...

My last four pairs were Raybans, Serengetti's, Maui Jim's, and now back to Serengetti's. The Serengetti's have held up the best over time with the Maui Jim's 2nd.

Yeah that is the Whistler I remember! I worked at the Keg when it was down at the lake... still get a little blurry sick vision when I remember those parties and the hangovers! Ever get to the freakers ball - awesome times! I lived in a real nice log cabin up in Apline Meadows - bunch of Vancouverites would come up on the weekend but I had it to myself during the week $70/month! LOL Skied Mon - Fri and got lots of ski-touring in the high country... Some of the best days of my life!

Singleshotneeded
12-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Get polarized...

Walksalot
12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I wear Ray Ban sunglasses when outdoors even on a cloudy day. The only time I will not wear then is either hunting or shooting because when I put on the sunglasses the point of impact is different. I have tried it several times and the end result is still the same.

Elkhound
12-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Walksalot.......are your sunglasses a wrap around design. If so.....the curvature of the lens can mess around with a persons depth perception. I see this on a regular basis

Elkhound
12-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Forgot to mention to you Bill those Polar PhD lenses is a joint effort with serengeti and zeiss. Quite a unique partnership to make an exceptional lens. I know its not KOWA but they should be pretty good. LOL

Walksalot
12-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Walksalot.......are your sunglasses a wrap around design. If so.....the curvature of the lens can mess around with a persons depth perception. I see this on a regular basis

My sunglasses are the standard sunglasses.

Sofa King
12-04-2012, 10:09 AM

agree completely.
maui jim's are really nice.
but nothing compares to the world seen through serengeti's.
wearing the drivers, you get so disappointed with the way everything looks once you take them off.
i've been wanting to get a filter for my camera made with serengeti glass.
and i've tried some ray-bans, tom cruise can keep them.

The Hermit
12-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Okay I bought the Serengeti Strato with the PolarPHD in Drivers Gold and they arrived yesterday... LOVE them!! I have decided to buy a pair of Maui Jim Banyan's with the HT lens for golf this spring too... VERY nice lens for brightening with awesome contrast! I would have liked the Kaenon's too but they are twice as expensive and for a single sport activity are over my wallet. Thanks for all the suggestions and especially to Elkhound for his expert attention and referral.

SVIR-Symon
12-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Get some Jims, my last pair of Ray Bans fell apart faster then a Moores suit..

Elkhound
12-27-2012, 12:48 AM
lucky SOB. I need to get another pair now. lol enjoy