PDA

View Full Version : dry cereal....

ratherbefishin
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
this isn't a ''wild game recipe''but its really nice to take hunting,or anytime.Mywife makes her own dry cereal[granola] by combining
5 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of syrup
1/2 cup of oil
1/2 cup of orange juice
spices to taste[whatever we have on hand]

mix it all in a big bowl, add more oats or juice if neccesary
spead the mixture out on a big flat pan and roast in a moderate oven for half and hour-turning several times,so it doesn't burn or clump ,then turn the oven off and let it cool.Then she adds raisins ,dried cranberries,mango slices, sliced almonds-whatever,and puts it all in a big plastic container.Eat it anyway you like-she likes hers with yogurt-but putting a ziplock bag full in your pocket when you head out for the day isn't a bad idea either.

Next I'm going to get the recipe from my south African hunting partners wife for ''rusks''-its sort of along the same idea

Fella
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey thanks for the recipe, granola is one of the best foods you can eat for breakfast, lots of protein and carbs, lower in fat than eggs and bacon, and it helps lower the ol' cholesterol. What does your wife use for spices? Cinnamon?

caper321
11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
What's a moderate oven? 350?

ratherbefishin
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
250 to 300 is considered ''moderate''-you want to toast it and dry it,not burn it.Turn it several times with a spatula to keep it loose otherwise it can get really hard,and you have to break it up with a rolling pin.We use any spices we have on hand-cinnamon, all spice,just whatever you like.Sometimes she uses maple syrup.-nice flavour.Sometimes she adds walnuts or almond slivers.There's no hard and fast rules here.But have you ever priced a box of this stuff out on the grocery shelf? Its so easy to make and so much cheaper,and you can make it any way you like

longstonec
11-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Some coconut slivers are really good too.

ratherbefishin
11-20-2012, 06:55 PM
sometimes she puts in chopped dried apple,apricots,mango,you can put in any dried fruit you want-its all good.I think her stuff is way better than the store bought stuff and a fraction of the price.Don't know how long it lasts-cause it gets eaten pretty quickly

caper321
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks. I will give it a try for sure. I usually buy gronala and mix it with yogurt and fresh fruit.

ratherbefishin
11-21-2012, 06:35 AM
its got to be the ideal food for a day pack-put a cupful in a zip lock bag and you're good to go-way better then a sandwich.Once you make a batch-you'll never go back and buy it again

winchester284
11-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Here's another idea for an energy bar. Easy to make and tastes great!

POWER BARS
INGREDIENTS

1 ½ cups quick-cooking oats
1 ½ cups granola
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 cups trail mix
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
½ tablespoon coarse Kosher salt (gives it that sweet/salty taste balance)
½ cup raisons or other dried fruit
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix together the oats/granola, sweetened condensed milk, butter, trail mix, cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate chips, salt and raisons with your hands until well blended. Press flat into the prepared pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on how crunchy you want them. Lightly browned just around the edges will give you moist, chewy bars. Let cool for 5 minutes, cut into squares then let cool completely before serving. Freeze in zip lock bags.

boxhitch
10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
284 , giving that one a try for sure ! Looks good
Anyone else make up snack bars or muffins ?