PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunter Killed In Washington

The Silent Stalker
11-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Just saw on the news that a hunter was killed when a tree snapped and fell on him in his tent. Would be a bad way to go, very tragic. I feel for his family.

Veener5.0
11-20-2012, 03:57 AM
From The Washington Post:
"A hunter on Oregon’s northwest coast was killed when a tree crashed on his tent near Nehalem Monday morning. Two hunters in an adjacent camp heard the tree snap as gusts reached more than 70 mph, and saw it lying across the tent. They cut it away in an attempt to rescue the man, to no avail.

Sheriff Andy Long of Tillamook County identified the hunter as 52-year-old Nathan Christensen of Seattle."

budismyhorse
11-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Shhhhhhheeeesh....

You know you have bad luck when...

That said sometimes you can avoid that by having your camp in different spots

Philcott
11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
One year we were south of horsefly when we had a really windy couple of nights. We met up with a couple guys mid day and stopped to chat when the conversation turned to the wind. I mentioned that we had checked for widow makers before setting up camp and the old timer said up there you have to be concerned about whole trees coming down in big wind because the root are shallow. I didn't sleep quite as well the next windy night.

With all that can go wrong in the forest a tree on the tent is what ended it for this guy. Sad news.

Fella
11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Hopefully he was sound asleep when this happened!

Brez
11-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Had a tree hit me in the head when it snapped from early snow load in the Flathead a few years back. Luckily it must have been the small end. All night long we listened to them snap. Don't want the top bunk any more.

Sil3n2
11-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Saw this last year on you tube a wind storm by Merritt, Davis lake, trees falling around the guys and one landed on their vehicle. Crazy! http://youtu.be/wEtIS9LFnWc