PDA

View Full Version : Grinding pre frozen meat into burger?

SR80
11-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Do people grind meat thats been previously frozen into burger and then re freeze it? Is it safe to do? Just curious because I plan on buying a grinder from cabelas at xmas time while im in edmonton.

Allen50
11-19-2012, 07:35 PM
just done let it thaw out all the way, and your ok,, and keep it cold,, same as i do to make sausage, or peperonia, keel it cool ,, youll be ok,, good luck,,,,

Gateholio
11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
You need to thaw it properly ( in a fridge) grind it and refreeze. You will loose some moisture.

Yak
11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Grinding semi frozen meat is awesome! It grinds so much beTter.

I've been freezing trim, semi thawing to grind and then re freezing and haven't yet got a tape worm or anything of the like

you should be fine

Grinders are awawesome highly recommend the 1 hp one from cabelas

Yak

RayHill
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
If you cook it after grinding then freeze it again, that is a garantie that it will be safe

Rock Doctor
11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I do it every year, hasn't killed any of us yet.

RD

The Dude
11-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Ditto on most of the above. Keep it clean, cleanliness is key, especially with burger, as it gets handled more, and has more surface area exposed to air and the potential for bacteria.
Thaw it in the fridge until it's still slightly "crunchy frozen", and it will grind really nicely. Don't forget your pork fat!
Package properly and freeze as quick as you can, and there ya go.

Steeleco
11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Here too many time over a number of years. So long as the meat doesn't reach room temp, you'll be fine. Especially if you cook it properly when it's to be eaten.

dime
11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
We freeze our trim in the big zip lock bags, they hold about 6-7 lbs. I take out 5 bags and put them in my small cooler in the garage and let them partially thaw, about 2 days. You can just get a knife through the big frozen blocks to make chunks small enough to fit in my Cabelas grinder and when it comes out the other end the meat is still half frozen. Pack into freezer paper in 1.5 lb packages before they thaw and you are good to go.

M.Dean
11-19-2012, 10:41 PM
When we freeze our sausage meat or jerky meat we weight it out into preplanned amounts. For sausage we normally use 15 pounds of meat to 5 pounds of pork ends, that way when were ready to make sausage we thaw out a container of game meat and grind in 5 pounds of fresh pork, then we make the sausage and refreeze it. With jerky I make 15 pounds at a time, so the pre weighted plastic bins work perfect for that. I think the main thing is to keep everything clean, we bleach everything we use after were done, then pour boiling water our the grinder, knives and any thing else that touches meat! Good Luck!

SR80
11-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Sounds good guys, thanks. Does anyone make sauage with their grinders with the attachments that come with it? I wonder how well they work, im sure a vertical stuffer would work better.

Rock Doctor
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Sounds good guys, thanks. Does anyone make sauage with their grinders with the attachments that come with it? I wonder how well they work, im sure a vertical stuffer would work better.

We used the grinder for years, but switched to a vertical stuffer. You're right, it's much easier.

RD

sawmill
11-28-2012, 10:01 AM

I use the horizontil stuffer,much better and doesn`t hide two pounds of meat.Stuffing through a grinder sucks because you have to run it past the knife and plate again.Pretty hard to make cheese smokies.I rough cut all my grinding meat,partially thaw ,gring and refreeze,no sweat.

Red Spratley
12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
i agree semi frozen grinds great and before you freeze it make sure and cook up about 3 patties 2 to try and one in the lunch kit..... lol