PDA

View Full Version : Skiing and Hunting :)

mijinkal
11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
It's that time of year when ski season and hunting season meet. Instead of having to choose which one to do, why not do both!?
I have a pair of touring skis and a gun and want to get out hunting. With the right snow conditions, it could be a great way to get deep into the woods and away from most hunters. I'm planning on going up in 2 weeks, not sure where though.
Has anybody done this?

snowhunter
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Years ago, I got a ride on a truck that was going up a mountain, and then on top, I put my downhill ski's on, rifle in the back and then went the only way anyone ever should go downhill in life :)

Snow conditions were good, and I was able to get into tight and dense places on the step hill quickly, scares the wiz out of few does, but failed to encounter any bucks.

Lost interest for downhill ski hunting when I ruined the bottom of my good downhill ski's when I hit some some sharp rocks under the snow. Was able to repair the ski's.

Telemark ski's should be ideal for use while hunting in the snow. Have you considered using snow shoes as well ?

skibum
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Sounds interesting - I would wonder if the skins would be too loud. Could get knarly with the weight on your back coming out, but that is what good stories are made of.

Let us know how it goes

springpin
11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Tow a tobagon with you. Then you put deer in and let r rip!

mijinkal
11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Yea, I had the same concerns about the noise from the skins. I guess it all depends on the snow conditions.
I have a GSP and a Coonhound that I could try some skijoring with :)

I won't be taking the good skis up for the trip. That's what rock skis are for.

buck nash
11-19-2012, 04:45 PM
I've gone out with snowshoes. It's a good way to go where other's can't but probably nowhere near as fast as skis. I'm not sure I'd do it cross country skiing though. I think the snoeshoes will be more stable when hiking out with meat on your back. I've thought about skijoring but one of my dogs is a seven year old jack russel and the other is eleven year old ridgeback. Neither is fond of the cold weather and neither has the strength.

I have done a few overnight trips on the snowshoes and have yet to bump into anyone on my trips. For overnight trips I pull a cheap canadian tire sled that I've mounted on some old skis. I can do about 3-4 kph for a few hours with enough gear to spend the night in comfort. This gets me well away from everyone and theoretically into areas where animals don't expect to find people.

As for noise; it totally depends on the snow conditions. A nice light, fluffy, fresh snow will muffle most of your steps but a wetter snow that crunches when it compresses makes it hard to be sneaky. If it's got a crust it can be very noisy. The noisy stuff can be advenageous if you can sit still somewhere with a good vantage point and listen for approaching critters.

One other nice thing about winter hunting is that the leaves from deciduous trees are down which opens up longer views in areas that would be imposible to see other times of year. Also tracks are easier to spot and if there's been fresh snow you can tell how recent the tracks are.

Clint_S
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Used to chase cats on my skiis but never deer. Skins are quiet going uphill and only whistle a bit if you wear them downhill which I did quite a bit to control my speed.
They were a mixed blessing because they aren't quite as maneuverable as snowshoes when it gets real crappy but are so nice if you have hunted uphill all day. The trip back is all a free ride.
Cat hunting makes you go where the cat went which can mean some pretty crappy country but if you are deer hunting you could plan your hunt so you top out on a road and the trip home is all gravy.

My only thought would be that if there is enough snow to ski then it's pretty likely the whiteys have probably already left and the mulies are no longer open.

squamishhunter
11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Haven't found skins to be super noisy. If anyone wants to go for a ski hunt in the sea to sky let me know. I find keeping a doe bleat call in my pocket and using it periodically kind of "explains" the noise to animals. My 2 cents....

The Dude
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Skeet Surfing is a riot, so why not Ski Hunting?

Might get some funny looks from other skiers if you're on trails though......
Tell them you're training for the Biathlon :D

KTownKiller
11-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Great idea with the skis! I was thinking of doing the same when I was hiking into my stand in 8" of snow. But then I found a lot of deer just further down the hill where there was a lot less snow. You'd sure deserve you deer after working that hard for it.:) Have you tried it yet?

mijinkal
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
NO, I haven't tried it yet.
It sounds like the guy I was supposed to go up with next weekend isn't going anymore so, I'll either do some ski touring at Baker or venture off by myself and my gun in the BC mountains. squamishhunter, do you want to ski hunt on the 1st or 2nd?

skeet surfing would be awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXOHCNgYrc