PDA

View Full Version : Canning ducks!

lorneparker1
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
anyone do this?

results?

Do's and dont?

I just bought a canner and im thinking i want to do up some ducks. Similar to vension.

Just looking to see if anyone else has done this with success.

BiG Boar
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I couldn't think of a reason it would be bad. Try a couple out. Would be great to eat on a hike in trip. You know the ones where you're really hungry! Get so hungry you might even learn to love them!

Jagermeister
11-19-2012, 02:56 PM
When you say, "I just bought a canner", I presume you mean you just bought a pressure canner. I you didn't, then do not attempt to can any meat products until you do.
I remember the folks and grandparents canning chicken, pork and beef and not to forget game. I do not recall ducks or geese. Not to sure how the fat content in those birds would play into the equation as those birds are faaattttyy.
Nothing like home jarred meats!

lorneparker1
11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes i bought a pressure canner. And im not where you shoot your ducks and geese, but wild duck and goose breasts are about as lean as any meat can be.

Lorne

Jagermeister
11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Duck and goose breasts? That would be interesting. The question arises as to whether you would brown them in a pan with some seasoning and then cut them to size to fill a quart jar? Or just cut them and stuff them in the jar with some seasoning? The only thing certain will be the canner processing time.

Rodd
11-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I haven't done any, but it sure sounds worth a try... let us know how it turns out Lorne!

lorneparker1
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Read a bit about it.

Seems there are a few trains of thought, ive read some guys put the breats in raw with some of your favourite barbq sauces. Comes out like pulled pork great on sandwiches.

I have read to put some beef broth in, with some onions and maybe a jalepeno.

I have read to smoke it for 2 hours then can it.

I have read to brown it first with seasons like you are saying jager, then can.

I think ill try them all this week!

Will post the results.

Ian F.
11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/preservingalaskasbounty/

Gateholio
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Done lots of ducks. The legs are excellent cannEd, breasts are good too. I usually just put in some salt and pepper, garlic and thyme. Delish.

lorneparker1
11-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Any liquid gate?

Gateholio
11-19-2012, 05:28 PM
No need to add liquid unless you want to. I don't.

Spy
11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Mmmm sounds delicious, might just start hunting ducks & geese again ! I used to make pâté' & pies but it had a very short shelf life, canning sounds like the way to go !
Good idea !

buck nash
11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I like to brown first. Smoking sounds good too though I've never tried it.

If you raw pack there is no need to add water but if the meat is cooked it's recomended to add water. The cooked meat does not release enough water to cover the meat and the meat that is out of the liquid will turn to a nasty looking black colour during processing. If you want to thicken up the liquid you can put 1/2 teaspoon of minute rice per pint in the liquid. This will completely disolve during processing. Do not use flour.

Just follow the same procedure as with any other meat. Pint are processed for 75min and quarts for 90min. pressure depends on your altitude, 10psi for 0'-2000' and add 1psi per 1000' above that. Be sure to leave 1" headspace or you will have a higher chance of a bad seal.

kyleklassen
11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
had it, it was awesome...but i know nothing about how it was done.

branthunter
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Might be a nice thing to do with a bunch of duck & goose tenders.

lorneparker1
11-21-2012, 06:37 PM
so today i did some salmon and ducks for the first time...

I am not sure if i did it correct, i had a real tough time getting my weight to (gently wiggle).ALso having no experience didnt help. It would either do nothing or really JIGGLE. Once it started jiggling like crazy, i turned down the heat and it seemed the best i could do is get it to "really jiggle". every 30 seconds or so. So i tried to do that for 75mins but it was probably more like 100 mins.

I guess my questions are,

can you over cook it my using to high of temps? also can you over perssurize it? IF im not sure if it was done correctly, what should i do? The product looks decent and everything sealed properly. I want to try it, i just dont want to end up dead.

Lorne

Jagermeister
11-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Better to over process than under-process.
I think the primary concern is to process long enough to kill the botulism spore. Botulism may or may not be present. The higher temperatures associated with the 10lb.+ pressure along with the associated time is supposed to kill the spore.
I have only processed fish in recent times and at higher elevations, so I like to overshoot the time and at higher pressure.

Jagermeister
11-21-2012, 07:43 PM
You know, if you have doubts, destroy it! Start over.

charr
11-21-2012, 07:52 PM
I ask my mother. Her and my grandma use th can meat. They use to can duck meat. They add a thin slice of salt pork and a slice of onion with the duck meat.

grumps
11-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi I've done goose legs and breasts and they turned out great,extra time is not a big deal and as long as they seal properly everything should be ok. Store without rings and discard anything that has a bulged lid or becomes unsealed as these symptoms show spoiledge

BiG Boar
11-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I read the title canning duck meat.... I thought you were being honest with us, and CANNING it!!!

lorneparker1
11-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Hahahaha

Talked to a pro and said it should be gtg.

Gonna try it tomorrow and post the results.

Lorne

open-sights
11-21-2012, 08:46 PM
I have canned them - last batch I tried with orange slices. meh, almost edible if you were really hungry and lost a bet.

sugar
11-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I've always wanted to try duck confit, I have a great book called Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing which talks about it. Check out the wiki article for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_confit

Jetboater
11-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I just canned a batch of duck and deer. Both turned out amazing. Duck meat and a good dose of bullseye BBQ sauce. Seems like pulled pork

lorneparker1
11-21-2012, 09:36 PM
I have canned them - last batch I tried with orange slices. meh, almost edible if you were really hungry and lost a bet.

Thats brutal!! Heres the tally for me

Jar 1 – salt pepper onion garlic.
Straight out of the jar, about a 4-10. Reheated 8-10

Jar 2 chicken bouillon cube, salt

Straight out of jar 7-10. Reheated 8.5-10
Jar 3 beef bouillon cube, salt-

Straight out of jar 9-10. Reheated 9-10
Jar 4- A very hot homemade bbq sauce. salt

Would try it again with a sweeter sauce.

Straight out of jar 5-10. Reheated 6-10

In short, reheated 3-4 of them were excellent. Loved them actually. Will be doing lots more.,!!

Lorne

lorneparker1
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Well after a few disasters i have it narrowed down. Its perfect IMO.

in half pints (250ml) I put 1/4 beef bouliion cube, 1/4 jalepeno and a clove of garlic chopped. salt and pepper to taste and lastly a small shot of hotsauce.

I put the cube some of the jalepeno and half the clove in the bottom
I brown the meet to rare( just cooked a bit on the outside)
Stuff it in.
Add water adn a bit of wine to the pan and scrape up the "good stuff" stuck the bottom of the pan (degalzing), and fill the jars 3/4 full with the juice) 15psi for 90mins.

Once its done its amazing. Ive made duck shepards pie, duck taco salad and had it just on crackers cold. Its super versatile and tastes great( and not ducky)

Lorne

field marshal
12-18-2012, 04:34 PM
What's the matter with you?? Why would you put that hot Mexican crap in with duck?? Unless you are shooting Sawbills and trying to disguise the taste! Then again you are 1 of those guys that doesn't pluck your ducks!:mrgreen:---Cheers---Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Ive only been canning cormorants and seagulls, the are a bit "gamey"

Lorne

fowl language
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
what is the limit on cormorants anyway?

lorneparker1
12-18-2012, 06:27 PM

First one and the last one!

wingmaster
12-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Per year. Because that's how long it takes for a trial and for them to let u off the hook with no penalties

Foxton Gundogs
12-18-2012, 07:42 PM
My granny used to can duck, goose and yes I dare say coot. Not sure how she did it but it turned out great, kinds soft like stewed chicken. Add Mayo, onions and pickle chopped up the best sandwich spread in the world havent thought of that in years.

Nickchee
12-18-2012, 10:38 PM
There is a chef in Montreal who's signature dishes is duck in a can. The restaurant is called Au Pied de Cochon and his name is Martin Picard. He doesn't use it as a way to preserve the duck but more of a way to cook it and present it at the table in his own style. It is actually quite good but anything with that much Foie Gras packed in it better be.

Nothing wrong with canning a duck for preserving for longer periods of time. I'm a fan of jarring the ducks in their own fat that I've rendered out and seasoned. Cure the legs and put them in whole and cook them slowly(confit). Duck fat, cured duck legs, star anise, small stick of cinnamon, small orange peel and some cracked black pepper will make you one hell of a camp snack if you can smuggle some bread in with ya.

charr
01-23-2015, 11:57 PM
I'm looking for some ideas how to can/ bottle my duck. Usually its canned with onion and pork or onion soup mix and pork.

Dutch Ppoacher
01-25-2015, 12:49 AM
Good read! Something more to try!

markomoose
01-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Interesting thread!Gonna give it a go next fall.Well you are still alive LP so you have "Pro Canner"status.

Doug
10-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I have been pressure canning goose breasts for years, and never had the good fortune to have enough duck breasts to think about canning them. So............I did a google search and by golly look what I found. Just what I figured - the same as goose (with some personal touches like the "YECK" hot sauce) All good.

Doug

Surrey Boy
10-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Inspiring thread!