PDA

View Full Version : A fun whitey hunt

lovemywinchester
11-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Sometimes it can seem so easy. My buddy Paul and I went to try to bag a wt on Saturday evening. We had a spot in mind where we would sit for the last half hour and try to rattle one in. There is a block of thick bush we have to go through to get to the treeline of the clear cut we would set up on and its all nice deer country. The conditions were perfect, overcast with the temps at +7 so the snow was soft and quiet and a stiff breeze in our favour. We got out of the truck around 3:30 and started hiking.

I am tagged out so I had the 22 and Paul had his 30-06. We were going slow and quiet, glassing our way in when we spooked a wt doe and she took off. We looked at each other and knew it was a good sign. We came to where she was and followed her tracks into some thicker stuff. Moving slowly we came to an open area and there were some huge buck tracks on some doe tracks as well as a bunch of criss crossing deer tracks. We were standing there looking around deciding which way to head when Paul saw something in the thick stuff. "I see a deer, right there!" he wispered. We crouch down and try to see what it is. I couldn't make it out at first because the bush was so thick but I saw movement and there he was. All I saw was his head and rack, nose to the ground with no idea we were there. He was at about 30 yds. I could have hit him with a snowball.

I whispered "Its a buck! Its a buck, kill him!". Paul put the rifle up and waited for a shot. The buck raised his head up and he put one right through his neck. Dropped him in his tracks and he had his third deer down and was done for the season. High fives and some hollering followed with looks of disbelief at what had just happened. Perfect conditions and a love struck buck made for a quick and succesful hunt. Back home in under an hour and a half with a nice 8 point whitey. A great neck shot as well so zero damage to the meat.

All in all it was a great time and one of the most enjoyable hunts I have been a part of. There is nothing better than getting out in the bush and hunting down a nice deer with a good buddy. Applying your knowledge of wind, conditions and habitat and having it actually work for you is a great feeling and it's so much more rewarding than driving around truck hunting. The bucks are chasing the does hard from what we saw so good luck to everyone else and now is the time to get out there!

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/PaulsWT1.jpg

kennyg826
11-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Nice buck! I like the length of ur hunt :)

MacMtnHunter
11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Way to go, a little work pays off with a nice buck!

landphil
11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Right on, your photo edit got a big grin outa me too.:-D

BlacktailStalker
11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Good deal but unless you just came up from alabama it is a 4x4 ;)

DGuest
11-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Actually in the maritimes it would be an 8 point as well.

Bushy
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Good times there! Even BigSlapper took a peak:mrgreen:

Good way to end the weekend with the boys ILMW, the big boys were out and about this morning...to bad you guys are tagged out and working on your art work.:biggrin::biggrin:

lorneparker1
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Actually in the maritimes it would be an 8 point as well.

acutally anywhere east of alberta its an 8 point. actually in 90% of north america its an 8 point lol

lovemywinchester
11-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Right on, your photo edit got a big grin outa me too.:-D

Those neck shots leak a bit too much for a tasteful photo. :frown:

Good times there! Even BigSlapper took a peak:mrgreen:

Good way to end the weekend with the boys ILMW, the big boys were out and about this morning...to bad you guys are tagged out and working on your art work.:biggrin::biggrin:

Good times as usual. Too bad we are tagged out? I have no more freezer room. You better get out and whack one Rich! Just stay out of MY secret spot!

coach
11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Nice buck, LMW! Congrats to your hunting partner. I know it's been warm but it's sure hard to believe the flowers are blooming like that around the 'loops. :-D Time for you to clear out some freezer space and head down to region 8 to fill your final tag.

lovemywinchester
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Nice buck, LMW! Congrats to your hunting partner. I know it's been warm but it's sure hard to believe the flowers are blooming like that around the 'loops. :-D Time for you to clear out some freezer space and head down to region 8 to fill your final tag.

I'm working on it Coach. The big Cherryville hog whities are calling our names though! May not make it to Ktown after all now my buddy is tagged out. As far as freezer space I can't eat more deer than I already am!! Maybe burger with my eggs? Hmmmm?

SR80
11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
nice whitey! Im so jelous! Ive been after one for the last 3 seasons around here!

kennyj
11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Thats awesome! Its great when the plan comes together.
kenny