PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone, my introduction and a question! :)

FalconFlyer
11-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi there, my name is Jeremy and I am totally new to the hunting sport, although, not entering it in the way I guess all of you are involved.
You see, a year ago, I became involved in falconry. I have a Peregrine falcon and a Gyr falcon. For anyone concerned, yes I do hold all the legal requirements and have a government approved facility to keep raptors. Only reason I mention that is I did see a thread on here where somebody witnessed a couple of jackwads trying to shoot a harrier and reported them. That tells me that the laws, as well as the life of these animals is valued by the members here, which is actually why I chose to join this forum to ask my question.
So here it is.
My birds need to hunt, while they are cared for and fed a good diet everyday, as well as allowed to fly free regularly, they are still birds of prey and they need to be allowed to do what they naturally do. As such, I want to teach them to hunt ducks, not for a food supply for me, simply for food for the falcons. Having never been a hunter though, and also still relatively new to the lower mainland, (I moved here seven years ago from central alberta), I don't know of any locations that I can do this. There are a couple of concerns for me. First, I have no problem with asking a land owner for permission to be on his land, but if there is public land that I can be on that would be better. Secondly, I don't wish to hunt where others will be hunting with guns, I don't want to risk my birds being shot by one of the mentally defective human beings as mentioned above. Last of all, I prefer a spot that is a large field. Wet is okay, but over a body of water is no good. Ducks are smarter than I had given them credit and if they see a falcon in the air, and there is a body of water there, the ducks will stay on the water knowing that the falcon won't attack them on the water. Not only that, I don't want my falcons ending up in a body of water and having to try to swim to shore, falcons can't fly off of a body of water like an eagle who's gone into the water can.
So therein lies my question, where is the best location in the lower mainland that would satisfy these needs? As I understand it, because I am not shooting any form of projectile, bullets or arrows, I don't really have restrictions to the area that I'm at in terms of residences or populated areas. Obviously I am not going to do this in a spot right in a city or in an area used by families for walking or biking such as mill lake in abbotsford. I just have no idea where to start looking.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

FalconFlyer
11-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Here is a picture of my birds, the first one is Diamond, a female Peregrine falcon.

FalconFlyer
11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
And this one is Ceylon, a Hybrid falcon, Gry/Saker/Peregrine, :)4221

Caveman
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Cool sport you're into, not that I can be any help to you though. Welcome to the site. I'd maybe approach some private landowners, you may find someone open to it

Jagermeister
11-19-2012, 10:31 AM
I think that the Vancouver Airport Authority would love to hear from you. And welcome to the site. I love birds of prey, especially owls and I have a disdain for eagles as I don't believe they are true raptors.

FalconFlyer
11-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I think that the Vancouver Airport Authority would love to hear from you. And welcome to the site. I love birds of prey, especially owls and I have a disdain for eagles as I don't believe they are true raptors.

I am extremely fortunate to be able to be very good friends with a gentleman who has a ton of birds used for presentations and education including birds that you cannot legally hold just for the purpose of falconry (don't take that wrong, he has ALL the legal permits for every single bird he has). This includes a beautiful Great Horned Owl that I love working with, but he also has a bald eagle and a beautiful Golden Eagle. Sadly, the Golden is a rescue that was hit by a car and is blind. However, her temperment is so good that she's a fantastic educational bird. Some may argue it's not right to keep her, but the fact is, she would otherwise be put down. This way she is given food, attention and care and will be allowed to live out a great life even though she is blind. Anyway, when you have that Golden sitting on your arm, you realize that this is a true predator, sheer strength, and the size is amazing. Any eagle that can take down a wolf or deer has my respect! haha.
It's been great to be able to work with all of the different species of birds, they absolutely amaze and captivate me in every way, and to be able to train an animal like that, and have them return to you, it's like no other feeling I've ever experienced!

lilhoss
11-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Beautiful birds fore sure.I would try any Turf farms,golf courses,etc.We have a few nearby and the geese and ducks do alot of damage.Not aloud to use shotguns due to houses,etc,but falcons would be awesome!
And welcome to the site!Just remember,not everything on the internet is true!:mrgreen:

FalconFlyer
11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Beautiful birds fore sure.I would try any Turf farms,golf courses,etc.We have a few nearby and the geese and ducks do alot of damage.Not aloud to use shotguns due to houses,etc,but falcons would be awesome!
And welcome to the site!Just remember,not everything on the internet is true!:mrgreen:

That's a great idea, I never thought of golf courses and stuff like that, I know of one that is surrounded by swampy area, they probably have all kinds of issues with ducks on there and would probably give me access to it to fly a falcon at! Thank you for that idea!

Philcott
11-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Jeremy,

Good luck finding a place to take your birds out. I'm sure with some research you will find some good spots. Farmers are a good resource and as mentioned turf farms.

When you teach them to spot moose or big deer send me a message and we'll get out and shoe the birds what big game prey is all about. ;)

Have fun hunting with them.

Mr. Dean
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I really think you'd feel safer having them fly private lands.
Crap happens and with the sheer #'s of local hunters out looking for public access in the LML, more the potential of said crap actually happening.

Them birds are a wonderful sight when they're doing what they do - I'm envious.
Good luck and welcome!