PDA

View Full Version : reg 3 4pt blktl

rchoward101
12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
my hunting partner andrew finally got a deer this season, and a new nickname too...

after numerous attempts and close calls it all worked out and andrew finally connected, let me spin u all a yarn...

andrew has put in his share of time looking for deer on the backroads of bc. he doesn't own a 4x4 and works full time in vancouver, so he is only able to hunt with his friends and gets a week or two a year to hunt. he is at the mercy of a couple of friends that own 4x4's and have spare time to take him out. he is the best hunting partner a guy could ask for, strong as an ox,a great attitiude, packs some fine foods and is always quick with a dram around the campfire. much to his hunting partners entertainment he had yet to bag a deer or any game before this season.

andrews skunks are legendary, one trip up on the coke he was walking and saw the biggest buck he has ever seen, billy the deer (our group names all the memorable deer we see or shoot) just evaded him as he went behind a tree. andrew is not one to pull the trigger on a prayer shot, he has military training and only shoots if he has complete confidence (another trait i really respect in a hunting partner).

earlier this year we took a week long trip to the east kootneays. andrew hunted hard for 7 days and generated one great oppurtunity. a small whitetail buck was spotted by his buddy and andrew got out of the truck. he put the clip in the gun and sighted the deer. as he squeezed the trigger nothing happened, he had forgatten to chamber a round, he cursed and the deer spooked. by the time he cycled the gun the deer was long gone. some good came of the trip however as andrew was able to bag a few grouse and came home with some meat. my buddy and i began to joke that his wife was going to think he was one of hunters who goes out for a week so he could can get pissed and never actually takes his gun out of the case. a few grouse are always better than a skunk so he was happy with a booby prize, so would his wife.

from my suggestion andrew put in for a doe tag in region 3 late in the season. to our suprise he won the draw and we planned for a hunt. we headed up the fraser canyon in a driving snowstorm on friday night for what we thought was a gimme hunt. we got settled and began hunting on saturday first light. we didn't see and deer early and a doe with 2 fawns around noon. due to andrews newly aquired paternal instincts the doe was spared and we kept searching. we decided to hunt further down in the afternoon. we were both getting somewhat frustrated. down the road we saw a deer about 75 yards away with wood on its head moving right towards us. andrew got out of the truck and and i watched the deer with the binoculars. when i saw the four points a said 4pt 4pt shoot andrew shoot. he pointed his 308 and pulled the trigger, nothing happened, after the previous experience he thought the gun was empty and openend the chamber, a cartrige fell into the snow. the saftey was on. as he cycled the gun it jammed and he had to remove the clip and another round fell in the snow. as this is happening i'm sititing in the truck watching the deer more towards us nose to the ground, and i am thinking to myself if he blows this one i'm getting a new hunting partner. then finally with the deer 40ft away andrew chambers his last round and BANG and i see the shockwave travel though the deer and it jumps off the road. andrew came into the truck to reload his clip, as i got out and tried to pick up the trail (i broke my leg badly in august and i still don't move so good). with his gun reloaded andrew tried to track the deer through some really trick underbrush. i got to the point of impact and saw no blood just hair and thought he had missed, i showed the path i thought the deer had followed and sure enough there the deer was 15ft off the road head down in the snow. andrew put one more in to the deer to be safe as we didin't want to chase the animal any further, otr lose this fine buck. andrew was visibly shaking as he clipped his first tag of this hunting career.

we couldn't figure why the deer kept coming up the road towards us, until we saw the doe right behind us. we had gotten right between a horny buck chasing a young doe and he didn't give a shit about us. we didn't shoot the doe as we did not want to be greedy. sometimes u get a lucky one i guess, but if u get out enough u tend to get lucky more often.

finally andrews new nickname is

click click.. F**k... click click... BANG

i call him that because that is all i heard from the driver seat of the truck as i watched the deer approach us, i hope the name sticks

so congrats andrew on your new son and your first deer belvedeer, a banner year all round, if u see andrew u know what to call him

rob

ps check out the pics in my gallery

Elkhound
12-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Thats a beauty of a blacktail. What a first deer. Congrats.

stanway
12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Congrats to Andrew. That is a beautiful deer. And what a first deer at that! Guys hunt for many, many years and don't get an opportunity at a beauty like that one. That was a good story as well. It brings back the feelings of my first deer.

Congrats again!

James
:smile:

todbartell
12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/andrew_deer_1.jpg

rchoward101
12-04-2006, 01:47 PM
thankx firebird

Maxx
12-04-2006, 01:52 PM
great deer!

BlacktailStalker
12-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Nice work! Congrats !!!!

Everett
12-08-2006, 03:17 PM
A the catch and release hunter finaly bags one, that was good story Rob.

Will
12-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Awesome Blackie......Congrats8)

greybark
12-08-2006, 04:34 PM
:) Hey Andrew , Congratulations on your first Deer . Your fine buck sure looks like a Blacktail but may be classified as a Mule deer. There is very little area in region 3(if any) for the blacktail boundry . Still a very nice buck.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Deaddog
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Awesome story and it must be all that much more sweet given his past season, congrats and welcome to the club, he certainly has earned it!!:lol:

.308win
12-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Cool buck with a cool story...Congrats!

sawmill
12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Hell I don`t know the man and I`M proud of him :lol: Excellent story and beauty buck.The first one is the hardest,now He`s broken the Jinx!

mark
12-08-2006, 09:41 PM
:) Hey Andrew , Congratulations on your first Deer . Your fine buck sure looks like a Blacktail but may be classified as a Mule deer. There is very little area in region 3(if any) for the blacktail boundry . Still a very nice buck.

I was thinking the same thing! where in reg. 3 do you think you have shot a blacktail?????

~T-BONE~
12-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing! where in reg. 3 do you think you have shot a blacktail?????

I would say in and around the Nahatlatch! That area goes back in 100km easy, right back almost on top of Harrison lk. That is just my thoughts....As I've seen plenty of them in there! Call'em Hybrids if you like....

browningboy
12-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Lots of blacktails in 3-15, 3-14 (Boston bar, Spuzzum area)

greybark
12-08-2006, 10:21 PM
:) Hey Browningboy . Geneticly you may be right . However I don`t believe the B&C and P&Y Blacktail boundries extend to Boston Bar and Spuzzum . His fine buck would be scored as a Mule Deer
Hey T-Bone , I believe the Natlahatch does not reach into the Blacktail boundry .

Blktail
12-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Any more pictures of that deer? I would like to see the rump to see howmuch blacktail influence there is in the deer.
Sorry to say that regardless of where off the Fraser canyon you were, "official" blacktail country doesn't extend past the Harrison Lake or Chilliwak River watersheds (I forget which, they keep moving it West.)

GREAT deer regardless!

greybark
12-08-2006, 11:02 PM
:) Hey Blacktail , As I understand it the boundry runs from the border up the Skagit River then up the Silverhope Ck and west along the Fraser River to Ruby Ck then up the Harrison thru to Garibaldi Park . Chilliwack River watershed is included .
Cheers!

rchoward101
12-09-2006, 12:19 AM
hey guys i thought that this might start a hybrid debate, i didn't photograph the butt end but i can assure u it was all blacktail

it was shot about 40km away from the 2-18 region boundary at low elevation

we will get the deer scored but i don't know if it will qualify as a book deer
i have to see where the boundary lies, it was tagged as a reg3 because we were in region 3

there is no question that in my mind that this was a blacktail not a hybrid

CanuckShooter
12-09-2006, 07:38 AM
It's a mighty fine buck....blackie or mulie doesn't really matter IMO...he's a lucky hunter to get a fine buck and..a new nickname all in one hunt, a double bagger !!

mark
12-09-2006, 09:42 AM
hey guys i thought that this might start a hybrid debate, i didn't photograph the butt end but i can assure u it was all blacktail

it was shot about 40km away from the 2-18 region boundary at low elevation

we will get the deer scored but i don't know if it will qualify as a book deer
i have to see where the boundary lies, it was tagged as a reg3 because we were in region 3

there is no question that in my mind that this was a blacktail not a hybrid

Hate to break the news to ya, but that deer in the pic looks identical to the 50 mulies ive shot in my life, and the 10,000 or so ive seen. If you shot it on the island, id be the first to say "nice blacktail". Buuuut if you shot it in reg. 3, its automatically a mule deer, it doesnt matter what the tail looked like! Sorry if I rained on yer parade, but i hear hunters talking of "BLACKTAILS" in the interior once in a while, and i just shake my head! Still a nice deer though man, but dont try to score him as a blacktail!

Will
12-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Rack sure has the "Blacktail" look to me :|

Defiantely not an easy call when Bucks are harvested where Blacktails and Muleys ranges overlap.

This is from B & C's site...

British Columbia — Starting at the Washington-British Columbia border, blacktail deer range runs west of the height of land between the Skagit and the Chilliwack Ranges, intersecting the Fraser River opposite the mouth of Ruby Creek, then west to and up Harrison Lake to and up Tipella Creek to the height of land in Garibaldi Park and northwesterly along this divide past Alta Lake, Mt. Dalgleish and Mt. Waddington, thence north to Bella Coola. From Bella Coola, the boundary continues north to the head of Dean Channel, Gardner Canal and Douglas Channel to the town of Anyox, then due west to the Alaska-British Columbia border, which is then followed south to open water. This boundary excludes the area west of the Klesilkwa River and the west side of the Lillooet River.

ryanb
12-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, there are definately some areas outside of those boundaries where you will find purebred blacktails, but I guess they need a buffer for the record books. Definately no area in region 3 where you can get a blacktail recognized by the record books, but they certainly exist in many areas of region 3.

~T-BONE~
12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
The boundrys have a few grey areas.. This buck here was a cougar kill from a place that we call Boulder! Above deer lk. Anyway it is accesesed via ruby crk. Do you see what I mean by grey? In our opinion the deer had all the characteristics of BT's!!! Ganders taxidermy can even vouch for that! Even though it was in the grey area it was never entered in the B.C. records book!!!!!!!!!!! Found in fall of 84'.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/dadsbest7.jpg

Will
12-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Very Strange that deer don't stick within the Boundaries that B & C says they should...........:lol:
Nice Blacktail T-Bone8)

dana
12-09-2006, 06:46 PM
The boundaries are set to try to get as much purity as possible. Muleys and blackies do interact and breed and thus the crosses that take the muley side of the genetics would rank very high in the B&C and thus not giving a real example of true trophy blacktails. This is not just a BC issue. Certain areas of California are full of muley/blacktail hybrids.
You could raise the issue on other species as well. Southern BC moose are more Shiras than Canada. Mid Coast/Bella Coola is more Coastal brown bear than Interior Grizz. But the boundaries are set up to try to get the best representation of the purebred as possible.

hunter1947
12-10-2006, 05:54 AM
That is one fine deer you got there ,you will have to tell us what it scored when you get it scored by offical scorer ,congrads on a great buck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif hunter 1947.

greybark
12-10-2006, 03:00 PM
8-) 121 ??????

browningboy
12-11-2006, 11:07 PM
We've shot lots of blackys in the nahatlatch area, have to dig up some old pics, funny though, one side of the valley will be more "muley" and some areas are strictly blackies, but they are up there, not "huge" honkers or WHY but big ones are around as we've found some sheds while hiking way up past the mushroom pickers, funny how they like to wear beige or black jackets in the fall, alls they need is some antlersLOL!:lol:
The blackies are in region 3, just have to find them.