PDA

View Full Version : Initial thoughts - Black cloud close range 20ga

Ian F.
11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Shooting lots of 20ga this year with a shoulder injury and found some Black Cloud - Close Range 20ga, #4's the other day. So I picked up a box to try. I've never used any of the Black Cloud shells, do have some friends that like it. Of the 3 mallards this morning, 2 of them crumpled, the third was a flyer, but fell from the heavens 200yards away.

So initial thoughts? I'm pretty impressed! Very hard to compare killing effectiveness, but from what I've seen I'll try a few more boxes...Blindside and Hevi-metal I'll be trying too, once I get some...

Very best,

Ian

nano
11-18-2012, 06:59 PM
I have been using the black clouds for 3 years now. Great shells I just find they are hard on my old Winchester 101 chokes. Also I can shoot ducks a little farther back out in the decoys

heyblast
11-18-2012, 07:27 PM
I like them for pass shooting on geese, but find for shooting ducks over decoys at 15,20, even 30 yds. they are a handicap. I believe their best suited for the outer effective ranges for shotguns.

Ian F.
11-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I like them for pass shooting on geese, but find for shooting ducks over decoys at 15,20, even 30 yds. they are a handicap. I believe their best suited for the outer effective ranges for shotguns.
The ones I got for 20ga, are CLOSE RANGE version, not the original

nano
11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
On a side note, any one used their stormfront shells?

field marshal
11-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Been using the 20ga. with those Ian!! I'm liking them alot!!:-D Now if my shooting suddenly goes "south" I'll probably blame it on them??:mrgreen:
Cheers----Field Marshal.

warnniklz
11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
The Close Range are full of flight stopper shot. The regular black cloud are mixed flight stopper and normal round shot. I seen these shells back in February. But I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They're called close range because they're meant for just that. People will have to start holding off on their shots until the ducks commit to their decoys.

Crazy_Farmer
11-18-2012, 08:36 PM
People will have to start holding off on their shots until the ducks commit to their decoys.

You need special shells to do this? HaHahahaha

Though I'm sure it'd sure be nice in the marsh is everyone one gunned into decoyed birds. There'd be alot less educated ones flying around.

warnniklz
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
You need special shells to do this? HaHahahaha

Though I'm sure it'd sure be nice in the marsh is everyone one gunned into decoyed birds. There'd be alot less educated ones flying around.

Ah ha ha true... I remember being out in the bay snow goose hunting. I was out in the blind. There were some guys sitting up on the dyke and guys way out on the mud flat during low tide.

The guys out on the flat were trying to creep in on the flock and were taking pop shots. Not sure how close they got, the geese were way out there. Flights of geese would take off and head into land. By the time they got to my blind they were 70 yards up and didn't even bat an eye at my decoys. By the time they hit the dyke, they were 130 yards up. The guys on the dyke would blast away at them.

After I gave up I asked what their deal was with trying to shoot geese up that high. They said it was ok, they were shooting 3 1/2 inch shells.

f350ps
11-18-2012, 09:35 PM
The Close Range are full of flight stopper shot. The regular black cloud are mixed flight stopper and normal round shot. I seen these shells back in February. But I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They're called close range because they're meant for just that. People will have to start holding off on their shots until the ducks commit to their decoys.
When are you guys gonna learn? If you shoot Winchester X-Pert blended you get it all, Matrix, BlackCloud, BlindSide, Square, Oblong, the full gamut! Close range, long range or in the next province it don't matter, they're dead! We've beaten this subject to death for christ sakes, save yer dough and go get some fast! Thanks K

lorneparker1
11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
When are you guys gonna learn? If you shoot Winchester X-Pert blended you get it all, Matrix, BlackCloud, BlindSide, Square, Oblong, the full gamut! Close range, long range on the ground or in the next province it don't matter, they're dead! We've beaten this subject to death for christ sakes, save yer dough and go get some fast! Thanks K

I agree with you but you forgot one other area!

Lorne

f350ps
11-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I didn't forget it cuz that it ain't normal shotgunning. What you do is what the guys that can't shoot have to resort to, sorry! :) K

limit time
11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
When are you guys gonna learn? If you shoot Winchester X-Pert blended you get it all, Matrix, BlackCloud, BlindSide, Square, Oblong, the full gamut! Close range, long range or in the next province it don't matter, they're dead! We've beaten this subject to death for christ sakes, save yer dough and go get some fast! Thanks K

HA HA to funny! I cut one of them open and what a mess they are.

yamadirt 426
11-25-2012, 10:55 PM
I've been shooting my 870 20ga the last 2yrs since I bought it and I love it. It does not like to cycle the 3" xperts but loves Kent's 3". I've always wanted to try the black cloud but not too many birds I hit fly away. I don't think it would make a killing difference

Eastbranch
11-26-2012, 10:12 AM
After shooting the 20 for three seasons now, I am 100% convinced that the brand of shell used does not matter as long as the shot size is #4 or smaller. You can get by with #3 but I will never use #2s again. Kent Fasteel #4 are the best I think but I haven't tried the BC close range yet. I really want to get my hands on a box of Kent Upland Fasteel #5 or #6 because those will probably be even better than #4.

Sako 75
11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
My friend who lives in central California (Maxwell county) uses 12ga. 3 1/2" no#2 Black Cloud shells to shoot ducks all time. The best stories (LOL) was using 3 1/2" Black Cloud shell to shoot whole bunch greenwing teals.

11-26-2012, 04:48 PM
been using the 20ga. With those ian!! I'm liking them alot!!:-d now if my shooting suddenly goes "south" i'll probably blame it on them??:mrgreen:
Cheers----field marshal.

lol..........

warnniklz
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
My friend who lives in central California (Maxwell county) uses 12ga. 3 1/2" no#2 Black Cloud shells to shoot ducks all time. The best stories (LOL) was using 3 1/2" Black Cloud shell to shoot whole bunch greenwing teals.

ah ha I know that... I have a buddy who shoots a 3.5" 12 guage. We were both using BC #2s. We were having a hay day on the canadas. Then this little widgeon hen came flying in. He lined up and blew the poor thing half to hell. Luckily there was enough left of the bird so he could use it to train his new pup.

3" #2s are what I use for geese and in a pinch for ducks. But if I'm out strictly duck hunting it's the 12 guage with #3s or 20guage... once again with #3s.

wicket
12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
past 8 years of guiding with a 20 gauge and using everything but blindside here are my findings the best remington HD ...no longer made, 2nd place Hevi Shot....we no longer use because of too much recoil for the marsh owner and family 3in 1 1/4 oz ...deadly. 3rd place and what we use now Kent tungsten matrix ..the owner of kent did a special run of 6s for us. I use hevi metal for guide shells now because we had a bunch until we got the matrix and i find its a good comprimise of killing power and price. I used black cloud for 2 yrs prior and didnt mind it. as far as straight steel i think I like it best over the other manufacturers. Price is no object for the owner of the place which is why we use the best shells possible. 90% of our shooting is in the marsh and is pass shooting with 1000 ducks a year killed. 30% of those are green winged teal (which i love to eat) 60% mallards with the rest being ringnecks gadwall wood ducks ect. I havent noticed the last while that the 6s are suffering any as the mallards get a large layer of fat on them. If I had to buy my own shells to duck hunt I would def buy the hevi shot(huntings my ownly hobby). If I was going to only shoot steel I think id use the black cloud. Was never a fan of the heavy pellets federal offered....they seemed really slow. We only shoot 20ga both hunters and guides. I dont shoot along with my hunters and only shoot cripples coming down and crips on the water. we have heavy cattail marsh and I do my best to kill everything that is hit to make it easier on me and more importantly the dogs.