PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine...

Jetboat
11-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Yesterday I was talking with the cat operators that are opening up our remote winter access trails and they saw a wolverine just a little ways from my plant. I've only ever crossed paths with a smaller one in the Tumbler Ridge area years ago. After talking with the boyz I headed out to a different remote area and while coming back through blowing snow & -19C, what do I run into? A large black wolverine on the road about 75 yards in from of the truck! Even before I could get whoa'd up, he spotted me and bailed into the thick spruce/willow bush. I snuck in a ways with the rifle, but he was already gonzo. Damn! But hey, just seeing one was a bit of a thrill for sure. I learned long ago that it never hurts to pick up tags for critters like wolverine & cougar as you just don't know when you'll see one in the crosshairs. Might just get lucky yet this winter ;) Anyone else ever have encounters with wolverines?

264mag
11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
We killed a bull moose in 5-13 and came back to the kill site 3 days later and spotted a big wolverine ner the the kill site. We watched him for a minute then he bolted across the slash leaping over logs and slash like nothing. What an awesome creature.

Steeleco
11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Saw my first and only last Oct up above the Kispiox river. Fastest moving fur ball I've ever seen. Close enough for a shot with the .22 no less. But he was too fast and me no tag :(

4 point
11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Saw only one once 40+ years ago just north of the now Whislter. He was gone like there was no tomorrow.

The Dawg
11-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Every year when I'm hunting them in Alaska with my uncle, using a fricking 12 gauge

The Dude
11-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Haven't seen a Wolverine since "Red Dawn" came out....
Oh, and X-men...didn't wanna forget them..... :D

Glenny
11-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Never seen one and probably never will. Don't usually go anymore north of Wilma's Piddle.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Have only seen them when outside of hunting season.

I wonder if a pred call could have coaxed him back out? There are "gluttons".

SSS

bigneily
11-18-2012, 01:27 PM
A tag is needed to take a Wolverine , Just if anyone wonders.

Jagermeister
11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
I have seen some a couple of times. Last time was about 12 years ago near Fourteen Mile Lake, came around the corner in mid September and there were three in the middle of the road. Had the camera with me but any thought of a using the damm thing was lost in the moment of excitement in seeing that many all at once.

Blockcaver
11-18-2012, 01:49 PM
One in Alaska that ran a sow and cub grizzly off a caribou carcass. Another in Colorado where they are extremely rare.

Jagermeister
11-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Never seen one and probably never will. Don't usually go anymore north of Wilma's Piddle.I think the opportunity to see a Wolverine pretty much exists anywhere in the mainland portion of BC. They aren't noted for being a low level animal, so seeing one in the Fraser Valley would be rare. If you get into the Manning Park area or the upper Skagit area, I think that there would be good chance of spotting one. My opportunities seemed to occur more toward winter.

scoutlt1
11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Only saw one, years ago while working on the Alaska Hwy, on a hike. Pretty high up.
As others have said, fastest moving ball of fluff I've ever seen!

whitetailsheds
11-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Every year when I'm hunting them in Alaska with my uncle, using a fricking 12 gauge

Did you kill "like 50?".......lol

Caveman
11-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Have only seen two. Last one on the Halfway River trail in Pink Mountain, on the ice at the river crossing, last year.

BCbillies
11-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Last year a wolverine got into our stash of sheep meat buried in snow. He stole two quarters and had two more on standby before we intercepted. Over the next two days from a distance we watched the wolverine fill his fat belly with the goodies left at the kill site. Four more sitings in other years but not during the regular season . . . had a few tags over the years but never cut.

gerrygoat
11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I have seen a few but never in season other than the one time I didn't have a tag.........need to make sure I get a tag more often.

houndogger
11-18-2012, 04:30 PM
For 8 bucks a fella should always have one.

canoehead
11-18-2012, 05:14 PM
I saw a beauty in 7-11 a few years back. He was right on the road, eating a grouse, about 20 yards in front of us. He disappeared like a ghost!

The Dawg
11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Did you kill "like 50?".......lol

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/25642722.jpg

Monashee
11-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I'd like to know the reason behind a season on wolverines in region 4-09 ? Is there really a sustainable population of wolverines that can be hunted ?

ARC
11-18-2012, 08:05 PM
I'd like to know the reason behind a season on wolverines in region 4-09 ? Is there really a sustainable population of wolverines that can be hunted ?

I grew up in that area and have only heard of one person ever seeing a wolverine, but that was in Valhalla park. I used to do a tonne of hiking and hunting in the West Kootenay and have never came across one. I would like to know what the population estimates are.

BiG Boar
11-18-2012, 08:17 PM
I went out this year on a specific hunt where and when they would be there, and A place it would be probable to find one.

I had a tag, and we saw one. It ran for like 3 miles. Straight over a mountain. Endurance like nothing I've seen before. 700 yards was the closest it came. But it never stopped. Unfortunately we couldn't bait them in due to locations of the kills.

I will get one though. Only 38 of them in the SCI record book.

Glenny
11-18-2012, 08:25 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/25642722.jpg

You got skills!

Big Lew
11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
They can be found throughout B.C. My wife saw one come down to the tidal flats near Smith Inlet on the coast while she was staying with her sister in a floating logging camp.
I've only seen 2, one while I was backpacking in the Upper Stave River Valley, and one leisurely strolling across the Alaskan Hwy. between Pink Mt. and Fort St John
while I was bicycle touring.

Sofa King
11-18-2012, 08:32 PM

good question.
overall, everywhere they aren't exactly abundant.
i don't even see the need to kill one.
some will probably claim they are decimating the moose and deer populations.
kill 'em all.

pnbrock
11-18-2012, 08:33 PM
don't you have a peta meeting duallie ?

The Dawg
11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
don't you have a peta meeting duallie ?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m85aynT6zw1qm6wolo1_1280.jpg

bigneily
11-18-2012, 09:00 PM
I've seen a couple in my years also, One in Dewar creek west of kimberley bc, and the other was just north of stewart heading towards Meziadin junction . got him on video also since he wanted to cross the highway bad and we were in his way, He took off running near the road wanting to dart in front of the truck to cross my dad was at the wheel of the police suburban and really had to step on it to keep him from getting by us, he could really move.

RiverOtter
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM

good question.
How would you know...???

You don't see a lot of things; no surprise there....

kill 'em all.
I wouldn't say decimate, but they are a predator and do what predators do. If they can sustain trapping pressure, the few that hunters take in a year are not gonna tip the balance....

nazarow
11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm from the Kootenays originally and have only seen one once and that was also in Valhalla Prov Park as ARC had mentioned up past Gwillim lakes in the alpine. We were just hiking and stumbled upon it and it took off really quick but I luckily snapped a quick photo (albeit from a distance)

Jetboat
11-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I wonder if a pred call could have coaxed him back out? There are "gluttons".
Oh trust me, I had a predator call (always have a couple in my daypack) working overtime with the best desperate, quavering, dying critter sounds I could muster trying to bring him back but no dice.

Deer_Slayer
11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
1985 Corbin BC mid winter, colder than hell and saw this thing running through the snow. It was a nice healthy wolverine. Was so cool to actually see one. Watched it for about 5 min till it disappeared into the forest. Got back in truck and drove 10 min and what do I see? A big cougar plowing thru the snow like a snake. And that was last time I've seen either species in the wild.

mark
11-18-2012, 09:46 PM
I was sitting in the alpine stone sheep hunting this year when a wolverine popped over a rise and came running right at me. He didnt notice me till about 25 yards away.
Then that night he came and stole some sheep meat we had hanging in a tree.
Guess I should of shot him??

Koot
11-18-2012, 10:43 PM
I saw one on the Nancy Green summit 20 years ago. Watched it for about 5 min before it buggered off. I also saw one up high one the far end of Garibaldi Lake, but only for a brief glimpse. Pretty cool animals.

gameslayer
11-18-2012, 11:09 PM
We usually see them every year in moose camp. Had one eat my ass cushion this year after it drank 2 beers, tore it to shreds. He got liqered up and thought I had a sweet ass.

solo
11-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Have seen two. One just out of Lilloet two years ago that was so big we thought it was a bear. Stayed on the road for about a minute watching us. The other was 25 years ago while hiking on the Dempster highway.

Walking Buffalo
11-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I went out this year on a specific hunt where and when they would be there, and A place it would be probable to find one.

I had a tag, and we saw one. It ran for like 3 miles. Straight over a mountain. Endurance like nothing I've seen before. 700 yards was the closest it came. But it never stopped. Unfortunately we couldn't bait them in due to locations of the kills.

I will get one though. Only 38 of them in the SCI record book.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna buy a Wolverine farm.

Frango
11-19-2012, 10:58 AM
My hunting partner and I were coming out of 7-7 with a moose one night at arounf 11pm. We were about 1 km from hwy 97 on the Willow FSR when one ran in front of us. He stopped in the middle of the road and just looked at the headlights.We watched him for perhaps 30 sec .It surprized us that he would be that close to civilization.

BCHunterFSJ
11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
We were hunting sheep in the Cassiars many years ago when TWO wolverines strolled through our camp as we were having our morning coffee. Saw another one near Redfern Lake, hot on the trail of a whitetail doe that we had seen only minutes earlier!

Wild one
11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
good question.
kill 'em all.

Just because you don't see them does not mean they are in low numbers ;-). A lot of the animals I trap are not commonly seen yet there numbers can be high.

Wolverine make nice mounts and are also taken for the fur market. If you have no interest in them for these reasons no there is not a point in taking wolverine.

As for Wolverine in region 4 there is a healthy population and it is known to produce a large chunk of the wolverine trapped in BC.

whitetailsheds
11-19-2012, 11:59 AM
They're plentiful in Alaska.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-LSzfhm4M

Mr. Dean
11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Tough critter to target for a hunt. Of the very few that I've known to be shot were all incendental.
I don't think the Wolverine will meet its demise from Hunters.

Never seen one in the bush and I don't believe my stomping grounds has a season on them.
Never bought a tag....

11-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I've never seen one. My friend shot one, but it was a total fluke. I've never bothered to purchased a tag, and that, combined with the existence of this thread, will mean that I will see a herd of them next season.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Have seen 3 over the yrs. Two running the ridges while sheep hunting up north and the other while grizz hunting....ran across a slide we were sitting on.
Here's his tracks

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Grizz_Hunt_2008_028.jpg

(http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)
And here are a couple from Reg 4....Buggers used to raid my Uncle's marten traps.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/img015.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Nice colours on those two!

338 winmag
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Seen one in 7-17 about a month ago feeding on a moose kill, then coming back out in the dark he ran out infront of my headlights again.

tanker
11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
there was one in deep cove north van in my backyard 5 years ago

pillpusher
11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I have one for sale if anyone is interested. It's a 27lb male with a decent crown that I caught last week in one of my sets. Pm me for more info or if you want a pic......SOLD!!!

hawk-i
11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
I had one jump up on the same log I was using for a rest while watching a cut in 6-9 south of Houston a month or so ago.

BChunter
11-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Hunt high in the Kechika drainages and you will see Wolverines. They must den high and come down to find Tarmagin and any other meat sourse. My son spotted one running up a frozen hill with a big femur from a moose or Caribou in his mouth. He did not see us but stopped to try and bury the bone. When unsuccessfull, he picked it up and ran over the ridge. They have this bounding gate and are gone in a flash if they get spotted. Also saw a big dark fisher up high when we stopped to rest. Another awsome animal we couldn't shoot but were roughly 25 meters away. Thats part of why I hunt to see these awsome sights. The memory is as good as a carcass sometimes.

The Dawg
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
you guys are all idiots

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR_DF8syZHTNblm237ldg6L0KlGFYhY KOv0aEiqFKUXg-KlPfdP2c2tJGVlA

scoutlt1
11-29-2012, 06:33 PM
you guys are all idiots

Welcome....

pipe-it
11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
I saw a wolverine on road going to roach lake to look for deer
had no tag watched him walk across road 50 meteres in front of truck
then travelled back under road thru pipe and dissapeared into long grass in feild
really cool creature at first thoght was a small bear

was 2 years ago now
my wife was with me and tried to chase it in the grass for a pic but reallized was too late

Blktail
11-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Saw one on Vancouver Island last week. Not!
I do know a guy that did see one on VI in the early '80's.
Must have been the last one.

dogfish
11-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Why the hell would anyone shoot anything that you dont plan on eating, to do so just makes you a low life trophy hunter in most hunters books.

boxhitch
11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Lots more reasons to kill $hit than just for filling your face.
Every hunter has his own reasons for hunting , if you can't support that , you are not a true hunter.

The Dawg
11-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Why the hell would anyone shoot anything that you dont plan on eating, to do so just makes you a low life trophy hunter in most hunters books.

Who says that we aren't going to eat one?

Big Lew
11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Who says that we aren't going to eat one?

R.M. Patterson claims he made a stew out of one, and it kept him from starving while on his way out of the Nahanni Canyons in the middle of winter.

scoutlt1
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Read the regs, and while you are doing that, give your f***ing head a shake.

Deer_Slayer
11-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Interesting story my Uncle in Golden told me a few years ago. His buddy ( a logger ) was heading out of Sullivan camp on the big bend highway middle of winter. As loggers do, he was traveling pretty fast on the snowy road to get home to his family. Out runs a nice healthy wolverine and BAM..he hits the dam thing and knocks it ass over tea kettle into the ditch. The logger came to a stop and went back to see the wolverine laying almost dead. So logger walks back to his truck and grabs a big monkey wrench that weighed about 30 lbs and walks back to wolverine. Logger raises the wrench and brings it down on the wolverines head putting it out of its misery, and logger throws it in back of his truck. Logger starts driving and after about 10 minutes hears a noise and a growl behind him at his rear window. Logger looks over his shoulder and fricken wolverine is fully alive and snarling like the devil at him. Lol so logger pulls over fast to side of logging road, and before he could do anything the wolverine is out of the truck and running full blast into forest like nothing even happened to him. Just shows how tough these buggers are. If you ever see a skinned wolverine, take a look at the mass of muscle surrounding its jaws and top of head. Incredible cool beast.

The Dude
11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
you guys are all idiots

And you and your ISP are banned in 3........2.......

Blk Arrow
11-29-2012, 09:40 PM
My father's trapline was in 4-09 and he trapped several. Last one I saw alive was about 30 years ago. I saw that telltale diamond on its back just before it disappeared in the timber. It was just outside Salmon Arm of all places.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Lots more reasons to kill $hit than just for filling your face.
Every hunter has his own reasons for hunting , if you can't support that , you are not a true hunter.

I wouldn't say that's correct. I am a true hunter - I get a gun and go look for tasty stuff to kill until I have enough for me and my family to eat.

I accept that there are people out there who feel like they have to make up for some sort of inadequacy by trophy hunting stuff like wolverines, but, that's far from saying I support that. I support hunting for predators in general only to counteract political activists who lobby our politicians over predator hunting, because the next thing is them lobbying to end hunting in general and then we're all out of luck. The premise, however, of killing sh*t just because you have a gun is very weak and is hardly the measure of "a true hunter".

trapperRick
11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
My ex wife was one

scoutlt1
11-29-2012, 10:13 PM
My ex wife was one

ummm....can I have her ph number?

Mr. Dean
11-29-2012, 10:18 PM

And people say this about the Wolf too, Hunters and non hunters alike.
And look where that GREAT thinking has gotten us.

Mr. Dean
11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
The premise, however, of killing sh*t just because you have a gun is very weak.

That's really your view?
I would then strongly advise that you look into hunting a little deeper and less superficial.

Don't worry though, the path will eventually come back full circle so you can keep looking at yourself. :wink:

IronNoggin
11-29-2012, 10:37 PM
http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Exomax_4.jpg

One of several. Just for reference, that's my Excalibur ExoMax Crossbow which is rather long laying on top. Rather Big Boy with nice coloration for the Yukon North Slope.

This one was a defense kill. Within 10 feet, pistol. Thankfully I kept it together enough to make the one round I was going to get off count. You can see the entrance wound, upper right forehead.

Business end of a chainsaw if you ever have a "close encounter". :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

The Dude
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
So if some of youze guys saw a wolf or Coyote chasing deer or Caribou, you wouldn't shoot it?

**Scratches head**

Mr. Dean
11-30-2012, 02:01 AM
DELICIOUS!!! :mrgreen:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Exomax_4.jpg

Mishka
11-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Wasn't there a young wolverine found in a carport in Port Moody in the late 90's? I think they trapped it and moved it nearby where they later found it dead. Something like that anyway...

Stone Sheep Steve
11-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Interesting story my Uncle in Golden told me a few years ago. His buddy ( a logger ) was heading out of Sullivan camp on the big bend highway middle of winter. As loggers do, he was traveling pretty fast on the snowy road to get home to his family. Out runs a nice healthy wolverine and BAM..he hits the dam thing and knocks it ass over tea kettle into the ditch. The logger came to a stop and went back to see the wolverine laying almost dead. So logger walks back to his truck and grabs a big monkey wrench that weighed about 30 lbs and walks back to wolverine. Logger raises the wrench and brings it down on the wolverines head putting it out of its misery, and logger throws it in back of his truck. Logger starts driving and after about 10 minutes hears a noise and a growl behind him at his rear window. Logger looks over his shoulder and fricken wolverine is fully alive and snarling like the devil at him. Lol so logger pulls over fast to side of logging road, and before he could do anything the wolverine is out of the truck and running full blast into forest like nothing even happened to him. Just shows how tough these buggers are. If you ever see a skinned wolverine, take a look at the mass of muscle surrounding its jaws and top of head. Incredible cool beast.

Pretty sure your Uncle knows my Dad. Heard the same story from him....same area.

SSS

Looking_4_Jerky
11-30-2012, 08:02 AM
That's really your view?
I would then strongly advise that you look into hunting a little deeper and less superficial.

Don't worry though, the path will eventually come back full circle so you can keep looking at yourself. :wink:

OK, call me dense for not being able to read between the lines here Mr. Dean, but can you elaborate?

There are a lot of reasons why we hunt. I get it, and I certainly don't need to support some. Why is that superficial?

Although I'm not a fan of predator hunting, I think areas with high wolf or cougar or occasionally even coyote densities can and probably should get some thinning. A single cougar will take an average of 50 deer a year. Get a healthy population in an area and you can see the impact on ungulates is significant. The impact of a few packs of wolves (and at times coyotes) speaks for itself. There are aspects of game management that focus on the anthropogenic reduction of predators. But wolverines? Since when do we think that wolverine densities are responsible for depressed ungulate numbers. They're practically scavengers whose ungulate diet is mostly carrion, and are often prey items themselves. Regardless of how "deep" I look at hunting, killing wolverines makes as much sense to me as killing a lot of other fur-bearing animals. It was fine when we needed for-clad clothing to survive, but for the sake of having a stuffed wolverine in your living room equates to killing sh*t just because you can. The reason I don't support that is because it gives anti-hunting lobbyists good reason to call us barbaric and a convincing argument to take to the politicians against me and what I love to do.

Oh your right - it just came full circle again!

Wild one
11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
OK, call me dense for not being able to read between the lines here Mr. Dean, but can you elaborate?

There are a lot of reasons why we hunt. I get it, and I certainly don't need to support some. Why is that superficial?

Although I'm not a fan of predator hunting, I think areas with high wolf or cougar or occasionally even coyote densities can and probably should get some thinning. A single cougar will take an average of 50 deer a year. Get a healthy population in an area and you can see the impact on ungulates is significant. The impact of a few packs of wolves (and at times coyotes) speaks for itself. There are aspects of game management that focus on the anthropogenic reduction of predators. But wolverines? Since when do we think that wolverine densities are responsible for depressed ungulate numbers. They're practically scavengers whose ungulate diet is mostly carrion, and are often prey items themselves. Regardless of how "deep" I look at hunting, killing wolverines makes as much sense to me as killing a lot of other fur-bearing animals. It was fine when we needed for-clad clothing to survive, but for the sake of having a stuffed wolverine in your living room equates to killing sh*t just because you can. The reason I don't support that is because it gives anti-hunting lobbyists good reason to call us barbaric and a convincing argument to take to the politicians against me and what I love to do.

Oh your right - it just came full circle again!

Fur is still the best thing out there for cold weather and man still has not found a good substitute. RCMP in some northern areas just requested all there trim be replace to coyote because the synthetic just don't cut it. It is a renewable resource that actually bio de grates unlike the synthetic crap. There are still a lot of remote areas that rely on fur to supplement there income. Also if you don't manage furbears properly they get out of control like everything else. You would not believe the damage some furbears can do. Management of furbears goes well beyond helping game numbers

Fur harvest built this country and is a canada tradition just like hunting with only stronger roots. I recommend doing some research before you speak out against something because an educated opinion is a lot stronger than an uneducated one.

bcmulie
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I saw one while working near Prince George, and 3 or 4 up north sheep hunting. Had almost the same thing happen to me as Mark, although 2 separate incidents - a wolverine almost ran right over my dad and I while sheep hunting north of Ft. St. John, and another one stole half of my Dall's sheep in the Tatshenshinni.

bcmulie

Mr. Dean
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Fur is still the best thing out there for cold weather and man still has not found a good substitute. RCMP in some northern areas just requested all there trim be replace to coyote because the synthetic just don't cut it. It is a renewable resource that actually bio de grates unlike the synthetic crap. There are still a lot of remote areas that rely on fur to supplement there income. Also if you don't manage furbears properly they get out of control like everything else. You would not believe the damage some furbears can do. Management of furbears goes well beyond helping game numbers

Fur harvest built this country and is a canada tradition just like hunting with only stronger roots. I recommend doing some research before you speak out against something because an educated opinion is a lot stronger than an uneducated one.

Good reply.

Lookin4ajerk - :lol: :wink: :wink:

Because of society's NEVER ENDING and RELENTLESS impacts on our forests, we must take on the role as being its manager.
And one of those duties include maintaining wildlife populations.

Maintaining = Balance and harmony.

Classic example of us not doing a good job is the current Wolf and Yote Epidemics.
We miserably FAILED to keep a balance and harmony in those pop's and that consequence has created horrific situations for other species and for us. The battle that'll be involved to clean it up is going to be HUGE and EXPENSIVE.

One of the failures that contributed was the market falling in the commercial fur industry - Traps aren't being set and we're generating surplus all across the board of fur bearing critters right now, as we banter.

No matter what Martha Stewart thinks or says, it's not a good thing. :lol:

We need to be involved before shit hits the fan.
We need to be better stewards.

I could go on about this for DAY's but the info and examples is/are likely all around you in your day-day life.
All you really need to do is look, listen, and apply logic.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mr. Dean
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
... So if a guy wants a mount, we should shake his hand and emphatically thank him/her for their contribution in helping with Conservation. :wink:

Wild one
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
... So if a guy wants a mount, we should shake his hand and emphatically thank him/her for their contribution in helping with Conservation. :wink:

As long as it is a population that is sustainable have at it

Mr. Dean
11-30-2012, 11:36 AM
As long as it is a population that is sustainable have at it
10-4
I was talking about the wolverine...

Hunters have very little impact on its populations.
It's not a targeted species, moreso 'Incidental Only', IF you had the forethought of buying a tag.

Frankly if I want one, I'll buy one that's been trapped.
And I want one!

250 sav
11-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Seen them almost daily when drilling above suprise lake, Atlin area (march/april) of 2008. 1 by hixon, 1 by valemount, 1on forge mtn.,and 2 in the upper deadman.

IronNoggin
11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
...There are aspects of game management that focus on the anthropogenic reduction of predators. But wolverines? Since when do we think that wolverine densities are responsible for depressed ungulate numbers. They're practically scavengers whose ungulate diet is mostly carrion, and are often prey items themselves.

I find so much wrong (IMHO of course) with your stated mindset it is difficult to know where to begin... But, let's start with the above statement for now.

In some areas wolverine populations are considered "high". I lived right amongst those at one time. And while they are not generally considered "responsible for depressed ungulate numbers", they can and do take a toll. I have found many kills (caribou chiefly) that these little Devils were responsible for, and have actually witnessed two occasions when moose calves were taken by them. It happens.

As for the idea that they "are often prey items themselves", I really have to question where the hell you got that from. Almost everything out there gives a wide berth to these Skunk Bears (including wolves and grizzlies) for a reason! They are incredibly powerful for their size, absolutely Fearless, and more than willing to enter the ring with any that push their attitude. Very Very Few animals would ever push them, and especially so as "prey" (I've skinned my share - like the hide is crazy-glued on every single inch, and very tough, foul smelling meat).

Wolverine hides are the Only "Frost Free" hair in the world. There very much is a reason their hides are in High Demand in the colder climates, and that is it. I didn't know any serious hunter/trapper Inuit who didn't sport a wolverine ruff on their parkas. I did as well.

I kinda understand what you are attempting to say, but perceive that to be just a little of the either uninformed or city-boy attitude. There is no shortage. They are legal to pursue. They make great parka ruffs or mounts. Holier than thou semantics be damned IMO, I will shoot another given the opportunity to do so legally down the road...

Cheers,
Nog

Looking_4_Jerky
11-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Wild one,

You'll notice in my post I don't get into the discussion of trapping, as that is a complex ball of wax all unto itself. However, I acknowledge your good points about fur being a preference (not always a necessity) in northern climates, and some of the qualities are unmatched by synthetics. Not to mention that the production of synthetics is nasty in itself. So sure, if you are looking for some justification to trapping I'll meet you half way and say that it can have merits. My comment, however, was more geared toward shooting a harvest-sensitive animal for a rug or full-size bragging piece in your man-cave.

Lookin4ajerk -

Because of society's NEVER ENDING and RELENTLESS impacts on our forests, we must take on the role as being its manager.
And one of those duties include maintaining wildlife populations.

Maintaining = Balance and harmony.

Classic example of us not doing a good job is the current Wolf and Yote Epidemics.
We miserably FAILED to keep a balance and harmony in those pop's and that consequence has created horrific situations for other species and for us. The battle that'll be involved to clean it up is going to be HUGE and EXPENSIVE.

One of the failures that contributed was the market falling in the commercial fur industry - Traps aren't being set and we're generating surplus all across the board of fur bearing critters right now, as we banter.

No matter what Martha Stewart thinks or says, it's not a good thing.

We need to be involved before shit hits the fan.
We need to be better stewards.

I could go on about this for DAY's but the info and examples is/are likely all around you in your day-day life.
All you really need to do is look, listen, and apply logic.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mr Bean- :lol: :wink: :wink:

If you are familiar with successful stock management (game, fish, livestock, crops) models, you'll know that they acknowledge the HEALTHY and NATURAL tendancy for predator and prey poulations to ebb and flow. The management is really to try to take out the extreme highs and lows – exactly what you are suggesting is missing in the wolf/yote scenario. I agree with you an that. The problem is, really, without poulation monitoring it is unreasonable to expect game management to be effective. You can’t determine a healthy harvest if you don’t have a reasonable idea of what’s there to begin with. In a perfect world, our Wildlife Branch would go and do population assessments on all our wildlife stocks and we would go from there. I’m sure we both recognize that in a world where our wildlfie branch competes with healthcare and education for limited dollars iIt ain’t gonna happen as much as it needs to. The possibility for your ideas of “balance” and “harmony” just died. If you think that shooting a wolverine is helping restore “balance and harmony” or is helping “conservation”, you need to do some homework on the principle behind those subjects. You’d have a more convincing argument saying that you really like your local taxidermist and that you want to support his livelihood.
With respect to the fur industry, it is merely reflective of the fact that most of the former market, with few exceptions, have realized they have no need for furs. Are you saying that we should be making up for the decrease in fur-bearer harvest by needlessly killing sh*t? Great, just what we need, another self proclaimed wildlife bio with their own ideas of “conservation”. That said, I'm not opposed to the sustainable harvest of fur bearers for practical reasons - if you told me that you made the most kick-ass set of mits ever out of the last wolverine you whacked, I'd be all ears. The initial post, however, was respecting killing just because you had a gun and could do it.

Wild one
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Looking_4_Jerky It is plain to see you have no clue on furbearers and there management or how data is collected on them :roll:. I recommend sitting down with a few of the bio's that work with furbears in BC and ask a few ? or help with a study or 2 before you continue.

As for the fur industry you might want to check out some of the market reports from the auction houses before you speak on that subject.

You have made some assumptions at this time lacking facts.

Mr. Dean
11-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Obviously you mind is made.
Too bad it isn't made on fact.

Panic
12-01-2012, 12:33 AM
10-4
I was talking about the wolverine...

Frankly if I want one, I'll buy one that's been trapped.
And I want one!

I have one for sale if anyone is interested. It's a 27lb male with a decent crown that I caught last week in one of my sets. Pm me for more info or if you want a pic.

Not sure if you saw the post Mr Dean....but I saw that you "want one" :-D

boxhitch
12-01-2012, 04:50 AM
I wouldn't say that's correct. I am a true hunter - I get a gun and go look for tasty stuff to kill until I have enough for me and my family to eat.............Not being able to look beyond your own needs and seeing how others get pleasure from wildlife is a rather narrow view, IMO.

I accept that there are people out there who feel like they have to make up for some sort of inadequacy by trophy hunting stuff like wolverines, but, that's far from saying I support that.So now we choose what hunting should be and what gets supported and what gets trashed ?

You've paid compliments to HBC members who post up threads about a big buck , giving congrats about the size, but deep down you feel they have inadequacies ?
Have you never kept a set of antlers , a skull , or horn from something you killed , to show to others ?

boxhitch
12-01-2012, 04:57 AM
................Although I'm not a fan of predator hunting, I think areas with high wolf or cougar or occasionally even coyote densities can and probably should get some thinning. A single cougar will take an average of 50 deer a year. Get a healthy population in an area and you can see the impact on ungulates is significant. The impact of a few packs of wolves (and at times coyotes) speaks for itself. There are aspects of game management that focus on the anthropogenic reduction of predators. But wolverines? Since when do we think that wolverine densities are responsible for depressed ungulate numbers. They're practically scavengers whose ungulate diet is mostly carrion, and are often prey items themselves. ..............Spend enough time in the mountains and after you have seen Wolverines chasing sheep and goats , live healthy critters , you may have a different view (but I doubt it)

As to why hunters target predators , for many its a 'feel good' gesture , a way of compensating for what we take . I don't shoot a coyote thinking that somehow there will be more deer next year , I do it for the numbers of deer I have taken and plan on taking in the future. Balance.

Deer_Slayer
12-01-2012, 10:03 PM
No hunter ever has to explain or justify why they choose to hunt or why they pursue a certain species. No true hunter would question or disrespect another hunter for pursuing an animal legally listed in hunting regulations. Just because a person states they would like to take a wolverine, or to get a wolverine mounted doesn't mean they will ever succeed. A wolverine is a very hard to find animal, and that does not mean it is scarce. I encourage all hunters not to take the bait when confronted or harassed to explain why they choose to hunt and why they choose to hunt predators. It's our LEGAL right.

Looking_4_Jerky
12-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Not being able to look beyond your own needs and seeing how others get pleasure from wildlife is a rather narrow view, IMO.

.So now we choose what hunting should be and what gets supported and what gets trashed ?

You've paid compliments to HBC members who post up threads about a big buck , giving congrats about the size, but deep down you feel they have inadequacies ?
Have you never kept a set of antlers , a skull , or horn from something you killed , to show to others ?

Yes, my apologies, that first statement was somewhat incomplete and had more to do with my response to your idea that I was not a true hunter because I did not unconditionally support any hunter's motives for killing stuff. I guess I meant to say that I know I'm a true hunter based on what I do and don't agree that to be "a true hunter" that I have to support another's motives if I believe they are questionable or flawed. As for what gets supported and what gets trashed - yes - each of us choose what we support and what we trash, in hunting and every other aspect of life.

Regarding complimenting others: A lot of good stuff happens on this site. I have benefited from some of it and I like to do what I can that might benefit others too, whether that's by boosting someone's sense of accomplishment, just giving congrats, whatever. As it happens I am fine with shooting deer if they are going to be eaten. For most deer hunters a trophy buck is many things, and amongst those things is a bunch of food. I don't feel "deep down" that they have inadequacies because they mix the pursuit of a truly spectacular quality animal with getting food.

I have a kept a few racks. They have nothing to do with the showing others, but rather are personal momentos i.e. my first goat, my first moose, my first 4 point. Most of the others have been discarded.

Spend enough time in the mountains and after you have seen Wolverines chasing sheep and goats , live healthy critters , you may have a different view (but I doubt it)

As to why hunters target predators , for many its a 'feel good' gesture , a way of compensating for what we take . I don't shoot a coyote thinking that somehow there will be more deer next year , I do it for the numbers of deer I have taken and plan on taking in the future. Balance.

Fair enough...

No hunter ever has to explain or justify why they choose to hunt or why they pursue a certain species...

Yup, you're right. Don't have to justify it to me or anyone else. Doesn't mean I must agree with it.

No true hunter would question or disrespect another hunter for pursuing an animal legally listed in hunting regulations.

I'm not questioning that you're within your rights to take legal animals. If I took a moose, an elk, a caribou, a bison, 3 deer, a griz, a black bear, a sheep and a goat in a season I might still be within my rights but I'm clearly going beyond what I can practically use and many (but not all) would look down on that.

Just because a person states they would like to take a wolverine, or to get a wolverine mounted doesn't mean they will ever succeed. A wolverine is a very hard to find animal, and that does not mean it is scarce. I encourage all hunters not to take the bait when confronted or harassed to explain why they choose to hunt and why they choose to hunt predators. It's our LEGAL right.

It's my legal right to make a racket outside my house from 7am until 10pm, but that doesn't mean it will rub everyone the right way...

boxhitch
12-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Yeah, at the end of the day we all choose what lets us sleep a night.
Didn't mean to bash anyone, but those that tend to take the moral high ground rub me wrong. We're all in this together and many need to realize this and focus on the real problems.

As far as wolverines go though, the season did change in the north country, opening moved from Nov 15th to Oct 15th, good but still a week or so after I come out of the mountains. PMO! Oct 1st would be nice.

RiverOtter
12-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Trappers are the "scourge" of the earth..........:twisted:

But it is one of the most rewarding hobbies I've ever pursued, and also one of the most misunderstood by outsiders, including hunters...

Mr. Dean
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I have one for sale if anyone is interested. It's a 27lb male with a decent crown that I caught last week in one of my sets. Pm me for more info or if you want a pic.

Did you get my email regarding the size of this from its nose to base of tail?

Mr. Dean
12-04-2012, 12:59 PM
For the betterment of hunting, we all need to understand that we have opportunity that is based on GOOD science.

Some of this science caters toward critters that are deemed as being Trophy Hunts because by and large, that's the only management tool that's afforded.
Right now, as of this very second, our Wolf Epidemic is faced with the challenge of being a hunt for PELTS ONLY.

And looky where we're at on that one..... :wink:

Sustainability is key, no matter the driving force behind it.
It's better to have options/choices than to have nothing at all.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-04-2012, 01:40 PM
How many hunters take wolverines each year? My bet is "not many".

SSS

Mr. Dean
12-04-2012, 03:01 PM
How many hunters take wolverines each year? My bet is "not many".

SSS

I'm wondering what kind of $$$$ is recieved for conservation via ALL fur-bearing species...........?