PDA

View Full Version : Dewdney Peak

Jason Melo
11-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Ive been thinking of heading to Dewdney peak for a day hunt for deer... Ive never een in this area but it seems nice to me through google earth. I have a quad and was wondering if anyone can point me in any sort of direction about the area? Pm me if you want to!

ruger#1
11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
You should be scouting this out in the summer time. Go to Dewdney. Do not cross the tracks. Go straight threw. You will see a sharp bend in the road and the other road will be dirt. Go up the dirt road. Take the roads to the west. It is hard to explain which road to use, But you will find it. Way up to there used to be a bridge. It was washed out a few years a go and you can make it passed with a 4X4. there are a few swamps up there. good luck. Some of those creeks also have some cutties in them, So take a fishing rod.

Jason Melo
11-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Wow thanks alot Ruger#1 thats some great info! I know your right I should be scouting in the summer but unfortanately I wasnt able to due to back surgery:(. Is this usually a very busy place during the week? Im hoping to get out on wednesday of this week possibly thursday. Do you know if anyone has taken deer out of the area or surrounding?

kennyg826
11-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Many washouts up that area, and VERY ROUGH. Having a quad will help. Watch for heavy equipment on main. Getting set up for logging.

kennyg826
11-17-2012, 03:40 PM
One other thing is cloud. If its our typical rainy low cloud weather, visability is really limited in there. Usually when wind is on the slow side.

Big Lew
11-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Also be wary if it's raining for a long time very hard....could be more washouts with you on the wrong side, or if you could make it across a stream, you might not be able to on the way back.

Jason Melo
11-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the info I guess I will have to be careful in the area.

rides bike to work
11-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Be carefull if you hike up steep ridge then side hill some nice timber and it's raining you might spot a huge buck than shoot it and you'll have to pack it out.

Jason Melo
11-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Well wouldnt that be nice!

takla1
11-18-2012, 01:09 PM
snowed good overnight at higher elevations top third of the mnt....hopefully this keeps up!

Jason Melo
11-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Well now im getting excited!

thebeav
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Are you aloud to go past the gate at 8km?

Pyro
11-19-2012, 11:44 PM
You should be scouting this out in the summer time. Go to Dewdney. Do not cross the tracks. Go straight threw. You will see a sharp bend in the road and the other road will be dirt. Go up the dirt road. Take the roads to the west. It is hard to explain which road to use, But you will find it. Way up to there used to be a bridge. It was washed out a few years a go and you can make it passed with a 4X4. there are a few swamps up there. good luck. Some of those creeks also have some cutties in them, So take a fishing rod.

Is this Hawkins-Pickle Rd, and Norrish Cr FSR area?

takla1
11-20-2012, 09:41 AM
yes you take h-p road to the end and where you hit the gravel go in there.there is a gate further in but there is a lot of country to hunt on the way in.Listen,,,,all of these mnt sides hold deer,you could encounter a buck leaving your parked truck at sea-level...or....you may have to hike to the top to see a buck,there are no guarentees.One thing for sure chances of getting off easy and shooting one from the road are slim to none,pick a spot to enter near old growth,along a creek is good,traveling is easier when you get in there and the game trails will be all over the place were the deer travel up and down the mnt to water,feeding ect.bring a pack board you will be happy you did if you hammer one

Pyro
11-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I used to go in quite a way years ago, before the gate at Km 8 was there. A couple of times I went over the top and down into the Chehalis valley and out at the Sasquatch Inn. Not so much for hunting, more as a 4x4 trip.