PDA

View Full Version : Wave On Wave This Morning

Chilliwack
11-16-2012, 05:32 PM
What a tremendous morning flight of ducks and geese I saw on the hunt this frosty morning.

Set out a few geese decoys at first light and took 3 mallards on three shots, two drakes and a hen. I then passed up on some other birds as I now waited for the geese I knew would be coming, shortly. Some mallards were dropping right into the decoys. Then the geese started coming in, wave on wave. Two flocks came right into my spread and I dropped 1 in each of the flocks that committed and missed one other bird, in the first flock.

Even thought the limit is 10 geese what I feel I could have taken if I wished I was satisfied with the 5 birds, the 2 fat geese and 3 ducks I had cleanly dropped. I then just emptied the shells from the scatter gun and just watched the numerous flocks settle into the corn to feed, chatting happily to each other. Even as I walked out to the Leaf Mobile with the heavy load of birds and decoys in the nap sack on my back, a flock just sat there as I walked by them. Many other flocks were dropping out of the morning blue sky to join the couple hundred birds now feeding on the corn cobs.

I guess a few years ago I would have stayed to take a limit but these days a few birds for the table is all I take, leave the birds for another day or someone else.

nano
11-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Well done!

blindman
11-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Nice post and I agree that just the experience of watching the birds decoy is very satisfying.

heyblast
11-16-2012, 08:58 PM
You gotta love days like that. Taken what your happy with and can sit back and watch the show. It just dosn't get any better.

pnbrock
11-16-2012, 09:46 PM
you are a great conservationist ,do you hunt with duallie?love the decoying birds!!

lorneparker1
11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
You a very noble guy chilliwack letting those birds go. I can't say they will get the same break when I'm in your neck of the woods tomorrow.

lorneparker1
11-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Ps. Where are the pics?

Chilliwack
11-17-2012, 02:20 PM
You a very noble guy chilliwack letting those birds go. I can't say they will get the same break when I'm in your neck of the woods tomorrow.

Just have a new camera my wife bought me so did not want to subject it to the the muddy field, may just take the camera next time.:-D

nano
11-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Let's hope the steelhead gods pay you back for for this act:-D