PDA

View Full Version : Went to Tunkwa with a doe draw......saw more bucks than does.

JIL_24/7
11-16-2012, 04:36 PM
So I got back from Tunkwa yesterday. I saw at least 8 bucks while I was there. 6 of them I could have shot. One was a REALLY big 3 pointer. At the same time I saw only 6 does. Two of them I could have taken, but I was letting my partner try to fill his first as he is someone who has spent a lot of time helping me get into hunting. He missed on the first couple of opportunities. Last morning I decided to go into a dense area with a little road that runs through it where I could get a vantage point of about 150 yards up and down the road. I hiked in and sat behind a tree. I of course saw a nice buck come out without enough horns (I know they're antlers for those that always like to point out the problems with everyone's posts). Finally, about 5 minutes before I figured I needed to go home a doe came out at 120 yards. I went to one knee and put a 300gr .45-70 bullet right through her heart. End of the season for me, but my buddy came to help me gut the doe and sure enough after my doe was gutted another doe walks out 100 yards away and, well, bang-flop. Two does down. Wish I could have taken a whitetail buck or a mulie, but I am glad to have a little meat for the freezer. I am also glad to keep my streak alive. 3 years hunting, 3 years with meat in the freezer. It was a great year. I was blessed to have so much time to spend walking around in God's creation, and I am very thankful to the Lord for one more year of meat, safety, and hunting.

On another note. Does anyone think that in some ways the 4+ mule deer system actually hurts the genetics of the population? If the most mature bucks are 3 pointers they will then pass on those genetics and we get more 3 pointers. Just something I was thinking about as I saw one non-legal buck after another, but no shooters.

lovemywinchester
11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Its any buck for a whole month. Any buck that survives that around Tunkwa deserves to breed.

4pointer
11-16-2012, 05:15 PM
There are lots of 4 points still and most wont be standing around in the easier access areas. You just have to look in the right place!:)

JIL_24/7
11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Don't make the assumption that I never hiked the bush. I did less hiking for the doe because it was a doe and I didn't see the need to pack out a doe. This is the reason I also passed on one doe. She was too far from the vehicle and not worth the pack out. I watched three pointers battle two pointers for does. Seemed strange. I know there are a lot of 4 pointers out there, but at the same time I was thinking from a purely genetic standpoint that if we kill the best, then we don't get the best genetics passed along. That's all. Don't know if there is a solution. Just kicking around the thought. Maybe protect 4+ bucks in areas every other year or something, or make any buck season a 3 point or less season. Don't know. Probably just crazy chatter.

lovemywinchester
11-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Don't make the assumption that I never hiked the bush. I did less hiking for the doe because it was a doe and I didn't see the need to pack out a doe. This is the reason I also passed on one doe. She was too far from the vehicle and not worth the pack out. I watched three pointers battle two pointers for does. Seemed strange. I know there are a lot of 4 pointers out there, but at the same time I was thinking from a purely genetic standpoint that if we kill the best, then we don't get the best genetics passed along. That's all. Don't know if there is a solution. Just kicking around the thought. Maybe protect 4+ bucks in areas every other year or something, or make any buck season a 3 point or less season. Don't know. Probably just crazy chatter.

I read an interesting article on managing deer to create big bucks in Michigan. WT obviously. They try to take big mature deer only and let the younger ones walk. They harvest a lot of does as well. The theory is that the big deer genes are passed on already in the younger deer. With less does to breed the bucks don't run themselves ragged trying to service every hot doe which gives them a better chance of surviving the winter. They have proven this method makes for big healthy bucks.

frenchbar
11-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Its any buck for a whole month. Any buck that survives that around Tunkwa deserves to breed.

hahaha....

Jelvis
11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Mature does are bred already around the southern interior, now it's only the left overs to breed, few and far between.
Oct 23 to Nov 4th for mature than til 11th for some yearlings coming in for the first estrus. Now it's left overs and the bad boys are hiding real good, you will see smaller bucks play fighting for next year now.
Jel .. If you see a bunch of younger does now, you might if real lucky see a nice big four or better, but not likely now.
Also Tunkwa needs big deep snow up high on Savana Mt to make it good hunting lower down, this year it's melting already

MR.uninformed
11-16-2012, 06:54 PM
enjoyed reading. It's good that you got a deer

islander7mm
11-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Congrats on getting your deer.

HIGHRPM
11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Meat in the freezer three straight years, you can't ask more than that, congrats !

Sofa King
11-16-2012, 09:19 PM
only hunters see a non-4 pt rack as a genetic problem.
nothing wrong at all with big 3 pointers.
they don't grow them for us.

Sofa King
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Mature does are bred already around the southern interior, now it's only the left overs to breed, few and far between.
Oct 23 to Nov 4th for mature than til 11th for some yearlings coming in for the first estrus. Now it's left overs and the bad boys are hiding real good, you will see smaller bucks play fighting for next year now.
Jel .. If you see a bunch of younger does now, you might if real lucky see a nice big four or better, but not likely now.
Also Tunkwa needs big deep snow up high on Savana Mt to make it good hunting lower down, this year it's melting already

they are still just getting going where i'm hunting.
still making fresh rubs.

guywitha270
11-16-2012, 09:32 PM
^^^x2. I actually don't think the rut has even really started yet in a lot of areas.

Jelvis
11-16-2012, 09:44 PM
When do fawns get born in your area lol. It doesn't change year to year, May and early June. Yah?
187 to 210 day gestation from bred to born. Same each year don't change.
This isn't a guess this is from the top bio in Kammy, studied mule deer for twenty years in B.C.
By Nov 4th most does are bred, then yearling to 11th then taper down left overs.
Big bucks finished now the three points dance with themselves lol. Now you need to find a bunch of yearlings together and then try to out smart the huge buck, which would take lots of luck more than any thing else.

Glenny
11-16-2012, 10:12 PM
yaaa what ever...

Trophyslayer
11-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Any buck has no effect on Population or antler configuration mature bucks are that for a reason and I have a hard time Believing you saw many MATURE 3points

cameron0518
11-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Another fantastic tunkwa story!!!! Good post, loving tunkwa

Bugle M In
11-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Sorry Jelly....
See this post of yours often....
I also know of a Kamloops Bio of "Mule Deer"..from years ago....
Spoke with him as a matter of fact...and yes...they breed early....BUT...
Also said that other factors CAN lead to them breeding LATER!.
(i.e. lack of nutrition...granted..mild winter last year )
Last year and as well as this year....I feel that where I hunted..it is later.
As some have posted....it seems to be late by a week or 2....atleast from a hunting perspective.
Didn't even see does leaving the tell tale sign of dark urine in my area.....but bet its going to happen this weekend.
Unfortunately...I have to wait till next weekend.
Now...back over to the Jelly - Roll.

Tikka270
11-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Most four points were a 2 or 3 point at sometime. Just because you see a big 3 point it doesn't mean that he is mature, a big 3 point could be a young deer or an older buck that is past his prime.

uraarchr
11-17-2012, 08:04 PM
good job!what kinda 300 gr bullet outa the 45-70?

blindcast
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Happened to be in where you got the two does. Ravens were making short work of the gut pile. That cut just beyond is a sweet spot, but only got a brief glimpse of a deer up in the far corner at the top of the hill. Congrats again on your two deer. They'll make fine eating.

JIL_24/7
11-18-2012, 09:53 PM
I use the Barnes TSX solid copper bullet. It's an awesome bullet I think. Really accurate, and I am blown away by how little damage that bullet does to the meat. I shot a buck with a .30-06 bullet and the exit wound was much larger with more meat lost. This bullet dropped her instantly, but left me with very little meat loss.

good job!what kinda 300 gr bullet outa the 45-70?

JIL_24/7
11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
If you're still up there I can point you to a couple places I found. I actually saw more bucks and does on that little road than any other place. Not to mention moose. High traffic area indeed.

Happened to be in where you got the two does. Ravens were making short work of the gut pile. That cut just beyond is a sweet spot, but only got a brief glimpse of a deer up in the far corner at the top of the hill. Congrats again on your two deer. They'll make fine eating.

blindcast
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for that. We headed back on Saturday noon. But if you're up there next year, the same time same place, I'll buy you a coffee. We--my wife and I--stopped in at the meat shed when you and your buddy were skinning the deer.

uraarchr
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Yea.the barnes tsx is what I shoot out of my 45-70.super accurate and drops em in their tracks.

RoscoeP
08-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Good thread, I think you have things figured out. Cheers Roscoe