PDA

View Full Version : how late in the day do you hunt ?

new hunter
11-15-2012, 10:45 PM
How late in the day would you hunt til if you where still hunting un familiar bush at this time of year ?
I've been tracking until 2:00 , 3:00 at the latest before heading back to the truck ( I continue to hunt til I get back to the truck ).
If I'm back on cut road as its gets dark its OK , but I dont like being in the old growth as it gets dark.
I am usually back in the truck an hour before it gets dark , and although I try to take my time and stretch thing out , I seem to be back on the hi way while its still legal light .
I kind of feel like I'm being overly cautios , so thats why I ask .
How late would you wait til to head back if you were hunting a new area ?
incidentally , it starts to get dark around 4:30 around here .

doubled
11-15-2012, 10:47 PM
If you are not comfortable being out at dark, time it so you get to the truck right at dark. This gives you daylight to get back and still maxes your time in the field at the second best time of the day.

In my experiences, first light has been the best time of the day with the evening being second.

vortex hunter
11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Carry A head Lamp and Gps/Compass with you so there is nothing to worry about .. But dont do anything you Dont feel confident doing there is always another day

coach
11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Carry A head Lamp and Gps/Compass with you so there is nothing to worry about .. But dont do anything you Dont feel confident doing there is always another day

x2. Some of the best hunting is in that last half hour of light.

vortex hunter
11-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Yup sure is Coach

f350ps
11-15-2012, 10:59 PM
I hunt until everything starts to look like an animal, then I know it's time to head out. K

coach
11-15-2012, 11:04 PM
I hunt until everything starts to look like an animal, then I know it's time to head out. K

Ha ha! That happens to me all day long. I'd like to know how many stumps I glass in an average season!?! Although - several times last year, I put the binos on a stump or rock only to spot deer standing beside it. :-D

New Hunter - always make sure you've got a headlamp in your pack when you hunt in the afternoon. Even if you plan to be out of the bush before dark, you never know when circumstance will keep you there later. Your pack should always have basic survival gear in it - most importantly water, food and a lighter or matches to get a fire going.

4pointer91
11-15-2012, 11:05 PM
I always carry a flashlight (with spare batteries) in my pack to use when entering and exiting a hunting area. As others mentioned the first and last light of the day can be great hunting. Shot my largest buck with minutes of light left in the day ...by the time we tracked it, it was pitch black.

TIKA 300
11-15-2012, 11:11 PM
If you are not comfortable being out at dark, time it so you get to the truck right at dark. This gives you daylight to get back and still maxes your time in the field at the second best time of the day.

In my experiences, first light has been the best time of the day with the evening being second.

X3
Morning Golden
Evening Silver

new hunter
11-16-2012, 12:55 AM
I carry two fairly powerful lights in my pack , but that said , I think I may just find a nice place on the edge of a cut block to watch the sun set .
Some where with a nice view and easy to walk out of in the dark .

GoatGuy
11-16-2012, 03:33 AM
Hunt until you can't hunt anymore. Days are short and precious this time of year.

The Dude
11-16-2012, 03:57 AM
If it's unfamiliar, still hunt back to where you know the truck is, and/or can see it from a distance.
The sit and wait, hidden.........ready to pounce..... you never know what's gonna pop up at last light.
And if you get something, it's near the truck, right? So win/win! :D

Mr. Dean
11-16-2012, 04:00 AM
I don't get wound up about staying out till last light.
I mainly hunt by myself and see no sense in dealing with a big job, after the sun goes down.

I call it done about 1.5 hrs before sunset.

fearnodeer
11-16-2012, 06:49 AM
When you can't even see anything through the binos its time to go.

tomahawk
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Dont make yourself uncomfortable, only stay and hunt within your comfort level. Through experience that may change, do whats right for you and not based on what others do. Some things you can learn from others but this is a personal comfort level you are dealing with so go with how comfortable you feel.

jrjonesy
11-16-2012, 09:22 AM
If it's unfamiliar, still hunt back to where you know the truck is, and/or can see it from a distance.
The sit and wait, hidden.........ready to pounce..... you never know what's gonna pop up at last light.
And if you get something, it's near the truck, right? So win/win! :D

Great advice! OP said "unfamiliar" and there is no need for a new hunter to be out until dark in unfamiliar bush. A headlamp or flashlight that gives you 20 feet of visibility in the timber isn't going to help you find your way out. It'll just help you to not trip on stuff.

hunterdon
11-16-2012, 10:40 AM
So much depends on the area. If you ask me, I always hunt in the bush until last shooting light. And, I carry a small pocket flashlight and a headlamp for field dressing after dark. I almost never use a light to walk after dark. I walk slowly and quietly as possible, stopping frequently to listen. But, that's just me. I don't recommend that for most, and certainly not for a beginner. I trained myself many years ago to walk in the dark. It takes a while to get over the fear, but eventually it can be done. My thinking is that if you are in a good hunting area, I don't want to alert the game to my presence. There's no better way to alert game than by shining bright lights while walking in the bush.

But, you have to be aware of the dangerous critters which prefer dark for hunting. I've had several close brushes with bears. Believe me, those guys can be real hard to detect in the night. They're so quiet walking on those big pads. But the worst for me is those cougars. Those guys are so sneaky. A few years ago, I had 3 surround me and walk with me no more than 10 yds away. That time, I thought we were going to tangle for sure. I bow hunt, so no rifle. But, I carry a small hatchet and bear spray. So, with bear spray in one hand and hatchet in the other, I proceeded to walk slowly and stop frequently. That would let them know, that I know they are there. Predator's don't like to attack when they are discovered before they attack. They much prefer the element of surprise.

But, there's 3 of the buggers. My plan was as the first one was to attack, I would swing that hatchet as hard as I could striking that first cougar, and hopefully get him to yelp or scream in pain. Maybe that might stop the others from attacking. In any event, I wasn't going down easily. As I slowly and methodically proceeded down that narrow path, they stopped and let me walk right by them, only a few yards away as they watched. I guess they were scared of me:-D

But, having said that, yes be prepared for WHATEVER after dark, and remember, one of the most dangerous times in the bush, is when you are field dressing an animal while occupied and the aroma of fresh blood is in the air, whether it be daylight or dark. If rifle hunting, and when field dressing, I always have a loaded firearm at arm's length and I will drag the animal out in the open first and away from thick bush. There have been several hunters killed by bears while field dressing an animal.

I guess now, some will think I am crazy......I AM.......hopefully just a little bit. But, I have gotten some nice animals over the years, in that last light.

IronNoggin
11-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Here's the way it is...

Hold your arm out full length from your face. Can't quite count the fingers? Good. Means I am now on the way out... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

T300WSM
11-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Never thought about hunting in the day....will give it a try sometime....Thanks....I guess thats why I never see ppl in my spot...

Sofa King
11-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I don't get wound up about staying out till last light.
I mainly hunt by myself and see no sense in dealing with a big job, after the sun goes down.

I call it done about 1.5 hrs before sunset.

i find myself doing this more and more.
i'm not that desperate to be cleaning something in the dark.
i wait until the sun is down, but i don't hunt until i can't see.
i passed on a 4 pt 3 weeks ago that was walking on a side road as i was driving out.
i had the scope on him at 30 yds or so and let him go.
would have been my easiest clean ever even.
right on the road by headlight, then back up to him and load him up.
even with that, i didn't bother.

kgriz
11-16-2012, 09:54 PM
No....everybody should not hunt too early or late in the low-light....leave that to me...I'll shoot the big ones and have the "trouble" all to myself

coach
11-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Geez, hunterdon. I've always been comfortable in the dark - but your story's got me shakin' on my couch. I don't think I want to go into the woods at all anymore.. :-?

Big Lew
11-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Some very good points of caution here. If you're not comfortable or experienced with traveling through bush and rough terrain in the dark, head back while it's still a bit light. Many people get turned around or hurt themselves because they get worried or panicky in the dark, even if they have a lamp or flashlight. If I'm bow hunting, I prefer hunting at first light, and quit hunting a hour before the end of legal light, mainly so I have a decent time left for tracking. If I'm rifle hunting, I will stay out hunting for the legal limit as long as I'm comfortable in knowing how to get back in the dark.

Glenny
11-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Ha ha! That happens to me all day long. I'd like to know how many stumps I glass in an average season!?! Although - several times last year, I put the binos on a stump or rock only to spot deer standing beside it. :-D

New Hunter - always make sure you've got a headlamp in your pack when you hunt in the afternoon. Even if you plan to be out of the bush before dark, you never know when circumstance will keep you there later. Your pack should always have basic survival gear in it - most importantly water, food and a lighter or matches to get a fire going.

specially those stumps with the blackish tail running down the middle. haha Eyes play tricks on me in the duskyness.

Gateholio
11-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Much depends on terrain. Rock climbing in the dark is no fun, even with a good headlamp.

The Dawg
11-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Light? 1 Million candle power! Half the fun is shooting at noises!

Gun Dog
11-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Evenings are usually sit hunts so I sit until 20 - 30 minutes after sunset. At that point there's enough light to pack up and head back to the truck or quad. I usually have a GPS, compass & headlamp but I prefer walking in the dark. As my eyes adjust I can see pretty good.

hunterdon
11-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Geez, hunterdon. I've always been comfortable in the dark - but your story's got me shakin' on my couch. I don't think I want to go into the woods at all anymore.. :-?
Very true story. I have to admit coach. I was a bit nervous then. :shock:

But, the scariest night I ever had was about 35 years ago while hunting in northern Ontario when I had an experience with Sasquatch. That was the scariest night of my life!!! But, that's another story. It's a whole new world out there after dark. Anyways, coach, with the amount of experience you have in the woods, I'm pretty sure you have a few good stories of your own.

Sofa King
11-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Very true story. I have to admit coach. I was a bit nervous then. :shock:

But, the scariest night I ever had was about 35 years ago while hunting in northern Ontario when I had an experience with Sasquatch. That was the scariest night of my life!!! But, that's another story. It's a whole new world out there after dark. Anyways, coach, with the amount of experience you have in the woods, I'm pretty sure you have a few good stories of your own.

pics or it's bs.
every sound in the woods after dark is a bf.

Ron.C
11-17-2012, 11:03 AM
this is another one of those to each his own situations. But I think those with better woodsmanship/navigation skills will be more confident and more likely to stay out till last light, regardless of hunting new terrain or not.

But I also think allot of hunters would be more likely to bail on a wounded animal shot at dusk if they are not familiar with the area they are hunting. So I say regardless of bears,cats,bigfoot, the boogyman, aliens, or zombies, if you are not prepared to do everything possible to recover your animal and deal with it in the in the dark, you have no place shooting one anywhere near dusk regardless of how familiar you are with the terrain you are hunting.

BlackwaterMerc
11-17-2012, 01:21 PM
I enjoy being out till dark, its when it gets really quiet that i seem to hear and spot the most. My brain and senses are much sharper early and later in the day. Yes lights are essential the hats with LED are a great cheap purchase and there lighter then headlamps. As well glow sticks are light, cheap, ambient light. I seem to use lots of glow sticks, there are reuseable ones as well, and of course a headlamp and flashlight in pack.

hunterdon
11-17-2012, 01:24 PM
pics or it's bs.
every sound in the woods after dark is a bf.

Judging by some of your posts, I would say that certainly applies to you.

hunterdon
11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
this is another one of those to each his own situations. But I think those with better woodsmanship/navigation skills will be more confident and more likely to stay out till last light, regardless of hunting new terrain or not.

But I also think allot of hunters would be more likely to bail on a wounded animal shot at dusk if they are not familiar with the area they are hunting. So I say regardless of bears,cats,bigfoot, the boogyman, aliens, or zombies, if you are not prepared to do everything possible to recover your animal and deal with it in the in the dark, you have no place shooting one anywhere near dusk regardless of how familiar you are with the terrain you are hunting.
Yep. Got to agree with that. Good points made Ron.C

The Silent Stalker
11-17-2012, 02:40 PM
If I am alone, I will try to be close to the truck and sit for dark to come. If I have a buddy with me sit till dark walk out together and talk about the one you're gonna shoot tomorrow. Stop and listen often, carry lights and be ready to shoot that moves in the dark, it's the only way to survive on the way out!

hawk-i
11-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I normally hunt until it's dark and then find my way back to the truck.... I've shot most of my game in the last hour before dark (been hunting for +40 yrs) so for me it has been very productive but also makes for a lot of work in the dark...you should always carry a compass, matches, some snack foods, and be prepaired enough to stay a night in the bush if the need arises.

Big Lew
11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
If I am alone, I will try to be close to the truck and sit for dark to come. If I have a buddy with me sit till dark walk out together and talk about the one you're gonna shoot tomorrow. Stop and listen often, carry lights and be ready to shoot that moves in the dark, it's the only way to survive on the way out!

I sure hope you meant something a bit different than what I'm reading:confused:, otherwise I sure hope I'm not making my way out anywhere near you:-D.

scoutlt1
11-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I sure hope you meant something a bit different than what I'm reading:confused:, otherwise I sure hope I'm not making my way out anywhere near you:-D.

X2!! ya beat me to posting that! :-)