PDA

View Full Version : OK.. what really works for scents.. interior deer..

Scance
11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
All right... can someone please give me a little advice on what might be worth trying for scent on my hunt in the interior next week ?? Im from the Island, would be grateful.

Will have a chance to hunt both White tail and Mule deer.

Cheers

doubled
11-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Tink 69. I have numerous bucks come in on a rope with their nose to the ground when I have my scent balls out.

Jagermeister
11-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Or better still, you can liberally spray your hunting clothes with it, just remember to keep your back to a large tree. You don't want to "be taken by suprise".

dave_fras
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM
i always to a drag lines with tinks... right to my stand or blind! best stuff ive used

IronNoggin
11-15-2012, 01:07 PM
If you or one of your Buddies takes one of our now Stinky Island deer, cut out the tarsals and take them with!
Tried this a couple of seasons ago, and it really seemed to bring out the Aggressive in Muley Bucks! :wink:

Best of Luck in your upcoming hunt!!

Cheers,
Nog

Sofa King
11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
i always carry the scent sticks.
the moose ones have brought a moose running everytime.
i can't recall having a deer come in though.
i like to light them to help mask my scent as well.

Scance
11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks all.. Do you use the same one for mule deer and whities ? Also is it the tinks doe or aggressive buck one ?

doubled
11-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Tinks 69 is Doe urine in the rut. Use for both and works well.

LiquidGuides01
11-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I agree with Nog, Using muley tarsels is probably your best bet, Havent used themyself but have been with hunting buddies who do use them, and it works!
Another good one is to use willow tree branches and shred them up with your knife (almost like a moch rub) Its worked well for me

4pointer91
11-15-2012, 05:34 PM
If you can get a hold of a stinky tarsal gland tie it to a string off the end of your barrel. Walk around slowly and stop periodically to check all quadrants, any buck in the area can't help notice and also helps mask your scent when the deer is downwind.

MOOSE MILK
11-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Tie the tarsels to your boot laces, works as you walk along, just stop and sit often and keep a look at your back trail.

The Dude
11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
A dab of Lucky Lager behind each ear usually tells the deer you're from the Rock :D

I find scents don't do much unless you're stationary for a long period. If you can find tarsals, or use commercial scents on a cotton ball, etc, hang them up where you can see them, in range, and not directly downwind.

Sofa King
11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Tie the tarsels to your boot laces, works as you walk along, just stop and sit often and keep a look at your back trail.

sounds like it would work well.
but if you already have fresh tarsals, chances are you have a buck.:-D
just find a hot doe and have her stand nearby.

Scance
11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Haha I like the lucky reference.

All great info thanks guys.