PDA

View Full Version : How do you score a rack like this?

krazy
11-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Looking for some scoring info please. Not sure what would be used as the mainframe for a rack like this. Main beam seems straight forward and no G1's (brows) but what about G2, G3 & G4? Does this guy even have a scoreable G3 on the passenger side?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_Antlers.JPG

Thanks for any help ....... K

moose2
11-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Great looking buck. Here is a link for scoring a non typ mulie they also have a calculator for typical as well.
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/bc_scoring_ntmuledeer.asp?area=bgrecords&type=Non%2DTypical+Mule+Deer+%26+Blacktail
Mike

bcfarmer
11-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Looking for some scoring help please. Does this guy even have a scoreable g3 on the passenger side?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_Antlers.JPG

Not sure where to begin. Thanks for any help ....... K

It is hard to tell without taping off pts, and no matter how you score it will not net well. However, based on the pic,
I would score as follows
Right side from left to right....... 1st pt...main beam, 2nd abnor. pt, 3rd abnor pt ,4th G-4, 5th G-2
Left side from left to right...........1st pt .main beam, 2nd abnor pt, 3rd...abnor pt, 4 th g-4, 5th G-3, 6th G-2

For a net score...pts would have to be taped off and comparisons made to find best net after deductions.
I am sure others will have a differing opinion.

bcf

Brew
11-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Wow. Is that your buck? If it is do you have a story to tell us? Thanks. Great deer by the way.

j270wsm
11-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Hard to guess with out seeing how wide the rack is, but I would guess 180-190"non typical.

Steeleco
11-15-2012, 11:14 AM
The only thing I would care about is how much my taxidermist is going to charge and how long before I get it back!! Nice buck no matter the score.

krazy
11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Mike: Thanks for the link. I checked out the site but I still couldn't find anything that explained how to choose what the main frame should be.

BCFarmer: your thoughts are the same as mine ... seems a shame with all those points you don't get to count a g3 on the right and that's why I was asking the question.

Brew: Thanks, yes it is mine. I will work on the story.

J270WSM: Greatest outside spread is only 21". There are a couple more pics in my gallery.

Steelco: I won't be getting a mount done but do agree that the score is irrelevant to the niceness factor. Never been a big fan of the whole scoring thing but the antler config on this guy has made me curious as to what constitutes the main frame. Is it cut and dry or optional in this case? For example I see it being as BCF suggested but could it also be the first 4 points on each side (from left to right in the pic above) with everything else being abnormal points?

Thanks for the input guys! :)

lovemywinchester
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
As far as non typ it looks pretty easy to me. The main frame would be to the crab claws. The forks in the middle would be g4 with extras. Pretty simple I think. Killer buck by the way!

Edit: Maybe not so simple

greenhorn
11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Nice Deer!!!!

Who cares about score!!!!

ruttinbuck
11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Net is for fishing!!!
that thing is gross!!

Jelvis
11-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Wouldn't score high on typ or non typ. Crab claws in the front, non-symetrical, uneven and short tines.
Just hang it up and stare at it, on the wall, euro style, not worth stuffing imho.
Jel it's from Kamloops I saw that hill at about 4k up behind Batchelor. lol. Nice mule buck there.

mark
11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Sweet buck krazy, just by chance, you dont live near cache creek do ya?

dana
11-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Jelly's on crack again. No crab claws there, just extras off the mains. The G4's are the next ones back (with matching extra). The back point is the G2. The drivers side has a G3 but the passenger side doesn't. That is where nets are for fish. It has a 3x4 frame with 2 extras (possibly another off the G2?) on the 3 point passenger side and 2 extras on the 4 point driver's side. It might have a G1 on the driver's side as well but probably under an inch.

dana
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_Antlers1.jpg

krazy
11-15-2012, 10:45 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_Antlers1.jpg

Can't get much clearer than that! Thanks Dana! Exactly what BCFarmer thought as well.

krazy
11-15-2012, 10:46 PM

Thanks Mark. Depends what you mean by near ... Kamloops.

bcfarmer
11-16-2012, 04:12 AM
Can't get much clearer than that! Thanks Dana! Exactly what BCFarmer thought as well.

lol....I have to say it because I don't know how to use the flipping computer. So much easier to explain when done like Dana has.

Again...nice buck congrats

bcf

HIGHRPM
11-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Dam sweet deer no matter where he scores ! Congrats !

kennyj
11-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Very COOL rack! I think there is no G3 on the left. IMO. Get it scored for interest and let us know how it goes.
kenny

krazy
11-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Very COOL rack! I think there is no G3 on the left. IMO. Get it scored for interest and let us know how it goes.
kenny

Thanks Kennyj. I'll put a tape to it just for interest but with no passenger side G3 I'm sure it will be pointless (haha ... no pun intended). The left side G3 is about 10 inches so I can't count roughly that much on the right side and the lack of it will nullify the LG3 as well (the difference to subtract will be equal to it's length .. Left G3 (10) - Right G3 (0) = 10)! That's about 20 lost inches right there alone!! As mentioned I'm not much on scoring and do not know all the rules but I thought perhaps with the extra fork that something else could be used as the RG3 and the back point be used as an abnormal ... but if anyone would know it's Dana so that theories out to lunch!

Anyway I'm making deer head soup right now so as soon as it's done I'll start doing some math! Anyone hungry? :)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_-_Soup_s_On.JPG

Brambles
11-17-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree with Dana's allocation of points

yamadirt 426
11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Nice Deer!!!!

Who cares about score!!!!

X2 on that

krazy
11-17-2012, 07:53 PM
OK for those interested in the (rough) numbers ...

Using Dana's chart I measured all the points and then added the totals of the Right Antler + Left Antler + MB Inside Spread + Abnormal Points to get a gross score = 176 1/8. The differences between the left & right for G's & H's total 13 5/8 (with 9 3/4 of that being due to the missing RG3) which when subtracted from Gross = 162 1/2 net. LOL ... that number, in my opinion, certainly doesn't do this guy justice!

Interestingly, assuming an equal RG3 existed, the numbers would have been Gross 185 7/8 with only 3 7/8 in G & H differences for a net of 182. What a funny system when you get the double whammy (10ish inches costs you 20ish inches) by missing a point ... but hey it's their system.

Skull is cleaning up nicely. Will bleach it tomorrow and then start looking for some sort of table top mount for it. If anyone has any good ideas for this type of euro mount please post them up ... would love to see them!

dana
11-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Definately a buck the numbers don't reflect the true size. A guy should always take the numbers with a grain of salt. That buck has a ton of character.

krazy
11-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Thanks Dana .. I agree! Hey didn't you once post a pic of a euro mount you did sitting on your TV? If that was you do you mind sharing how you mounted it?

kennyj
11-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Awesome rack krazy! Some of the coolest racks I've seen don't score well. I love the B&C scoring system but Mother Nature doesn't always put them together in an organized manner. I would NEVER pass up a buck based on score alone. Looking forward to photos of the euro.
kenny

krazy
11-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Soups done!Now to find where Momma keeps her hair bleach and brighten it up! :)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_-_Cooked_Skull.JPG

Sofa King
11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
great buck.
interesting rack.

krazy
12-05-2012, 09:36 PM
The finished product .......

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_-_Euro_Final.JPG

... now the real challenge, figuring out how to get momma to let me keep it in the living room! ;)

OutWest
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Not too many places in BC where you'll find "that" type of vegetation.

Nice buck. Some real character there.

Blktail
12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that you can choose how to score it yourself to maximize the score. Looks like Dana got it right.

krazy
12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that you can choose how to score it yourself to maximize the score.

I don't think so Blktail but I definitely do not know that for sure. Seems to me that since there is no fork off the furthest back right tine (g2) I don't think you can come up with a g3 on that side anyway you count it. I think that's what Dana, Brambles & BCFarmer have confirmed.

krazy
12-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow. Is that your buck? If it is do you have a story to tell us? Thanks. Great deer by the way.

Thanks Brew, as promised here's the story ...

Was supposed to go out with my bro but he called in sick at the last minute. Happened to be talking with my Dad as the txt came in so I asked him if he wanted to come along. He said he you bet ..... fast forward to early the next morning and we were off to the races!

Our timing was perfect as we entered the first area that we wanted to check out just as it was getting light enough to see well. Got set up and started glassing and spotted 3 deer right away. It was clear from their behavior that one was a buck but it was too far to evaluate anything with the binos so out came the spotter ... which determined that it was just a small fork buck trying to have his way with an unreceptive doe. A bit more glassing and we concluded there was nothing else around so we began to work our way to spot number two .......

Spot number two was a big draw containing two separate deep gullies. The head of the draw starts at a rocky knob that deer like to bed on. The plan was to glass where & when we could while making our way to the top of the draw and then I would get out at the knob and hunt over it and down though the gullies while pops drove back down to the bottom and waited for me.

On my way over the rocky knob I started having second thoughts as the breeze blew in a dense swath of fog. Oh well I was already in it so I slowly kept moving from vantage point to vantage point where I would stop and glass or, more specifically, stop and wait for the fog to allow me to glass.

The first deer I spotted was another fork buck ... all on his own and working his way up into the knob. Not seeing anything else I came out of the hill and started for the first ravine. I cautiously approached the edge of the gulch and began walking it downwards. By the time I reached the end I had seen 5 more does, 4 of them together and 1 by herself.

Satisfied that was all that was around I started to move across to the top of the second gulley when my eye caught movement. Two deer were trying to sneak across from the bottom edge of the first gulley to the top edge of the second. A quick check through the binos revealed they were two does but they were moving hesitantly and one of them kept looking behind her while the other was looking ahead. Well I had been in this scenario before so I set up the shooting sticks and thought I better see how this plays out with my rifle ready if needed! The deer stopped moving, another good sign I thought, there must be a buck behind them. I glassed around as much as I could but the fog had moved in again and it was really impairing my vision. And so I waited, and waited ..... and waited. After what seemed to be about 20 minutes a third doe appeared. DAMN!

I decided to take a final good look around and then start moving across. I swept the glasses all around and behind the three ladies and then moved to the area in front of them. Remember when I said that one of the does was looking behind her and the other ahead ... well I don't know how I missed him, perhaps because of the fog, but about 50 yards in front of them was a good buck with what I can best describe as a wall of tines! It didn't take long to convince myself that this was a shooter!

The buck had started to move away from me but he was just meandering slowly, probably waiting for the does to catch up. The rifle was ready to go and he was in the wide open so with no need to panic I took the opportunity to get the range finder on him ... and that's when the panic set in!

It wasn't that he was too far, it was that with the bit of fog that was around I couldn't find him in the viewer! I could see him in the bino's but with the monocular and small power of the ranger it just wasn't happening. OK I thought, I've hunted this area enough to know that it wasn't farther than 300ish yards across to the next draw and my 7 WSM, and I, were more than capable of that, so fak the range finder and let's get this guy in the cross hairs! Yeah right! It became evident real fast that the problem wasn't just the range finder as, although better than the finder, things seemed a bit "foggy" through the scope as well! I could see "a" deer through the scope but it definitely wasn't as clear as I would have liked. For a second I contemplated putting the cross hairs in the center of the blob and squeezing but I decided against it thinking that I would hold off on that option until the last possible minute. In the meantime I'd patiently hold on him and hope the fog would clear before he hit the edge of the far gulley!

Now I know that anyone reading this that knows me is thinking "yeah right, krazy and patiently in the same sentence?" Well, you're probably right, and if the fog hadn't cleared before he got to the edge I probably would have shot anyway ... but I didn't have to because a breeze came through before I had to make that decision and as soon as it did the SSMAG did its job delivering a 140 TTSX right behind his right rib cage and through to his heart! I made my way over and this is what I saw ...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_-_1.JPG

The range finder after the fact determined the distance at 277 yards. The pull out was fairly easy as there was an inch or so of snow and a steady downhill slope to the truck. After a bit of work this is what he looks like today ...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JYD_-_Pepperoni.JPG

ruttinbuck
12-07-2012, 08:24 PM
those are real and taste spectacular RB

Looking_4_Jerky
12-07-2012, 08:27 PM
The finished product .......

... now the real challenge, figuring out how to get momma to let me keep it in the living room! ;)

Krazy,

That is a beauty, and killer job on the mount!!

Nice work, bud.

If the lady won't let you keep it in the house bring it by my new shed! This year's whitie looked a bit anti-climatic in there!

dougan
12-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Duh bra size is how you score a rack!

kennyj
12-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Great story, and again awesome buck.
kenny

krazy
12-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Duh bra size is how you score a rack!

lol ... I wish this site had a "like" button!

krazy
12-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Krazy,

That is a beauty, and killer job on the mount!!

Nice work, bud.

If the lady won't let you keep it in the house bring it by my new shed! This year's whitie looked a bit anti-climatic in there!

Thanks Benny! How big's that new shed ... at this rate it might have to hold me as well as the mount! ;)